• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 15| Where rankings are made up & SEC losses don't matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Do you think they won't care? I can see that, but at the same time, a legacy team like Alabama isn't going to want to job to another legacy team in Oklahoma, particularly when they never play each other.
Saban apparently touched on it at the team banquet last night saying something like "we're disappointed with how the season ended but not disappointed to be playing in the Sugar Bowl." He also said he wasn't sure how the players were going to react since he hasn't been around them due to recruiting, which is a pretty wishy-washy statement.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm well aware. Letting Cutcliffe go again after he came back to Tennessee was just one of many horribly stupid decisions we made under AD Mike Hamilton.

Cutcliffe wouldn't have survived the first few seasons at Tennessee that he had at Duke:

4-8
5-7
3-9
3-9

Duke had nowhere to go but up and had nothing but time. One of the reasons that I'm not worried about him being poached is because he'll survive the inevitable downturn at Duke where as he'll get fired by most anyone else. He can run his program as he sees fit and Duke isn't going to mess with it.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, Baylor fans are some disrespectful sons of bitches! I expected better from a Christian school.

:jnc

When I went to Morgantown for the Tech/WVU game I had a couple different sets of tailgaters up there tell me that Baylor fans were the worst fans they've had of all the new guests since they joined the conference.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Ouch, opening line for the Holiday Bowl is apparently ASU as a 15.5 point favorite over Tech. I imagine that will work its way down a bit but will still end up over 10.

KingGondo

Banned
Ouch, opening line for the Holiday Bowl is apparently ASU as a 15.5 point favorite over Tech. I imagine that will work its way down a bit but will still end up over 10.
Big 12 will be lucky to win 2 bowl games.

Baylor-UCF (win)
ASU-TTU (probable loss)
KSU-Michigan (toss-up)
Texas-Oregon (loss)
OSU-Mizzou (toss-up)
OU-Bama (loss)

Yeesh.

Big 12 will be lucky to win 2 bowl games.

Baylor-UCF (win)
ASU-TTU (probable loss)
KSU-Michigan (toss-up)
Texas-Oregon (loss)
OSU-Mizzou (toss-up)
OU-Bama (loss)

Yeesh.

4-2 is the ceiling and 1-5 is the floor. I guess having only 6 teams in bowls instead of our usual 8-9 teams forced stronger match-ups.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know that I'd chalk up UT v Oregon as an automatic loss. Oregon is definitely the better team IMO but once they lost their shot at the national championship it seems like they lost all motivation. When you have guys after their first loss complaining to the media about how unexcited they are to only be going to go to the Rose Bowl and then they ultimately lose another one I just don't see them as being all that fired up for the game, while UT has the advantage of what's basically a de facto home game in what could be an opportunity to send off a potential HOF coach with one last win before he's gone.

I'm sure Oregon will be favored and if I had to make a pick I'd probably choose them but I wouldn't just write the game off for UT.

KingGondo

Banned
I don't know that I'd chalk up UT v Oregon as an automatic loss. Oregon is definitely the better team IMO but once they lost their shot at the national championship it seems like they lost all motivation. When you have guys after their first loss complaining to the media about how unexcited they are to only be going to go to the Rose Bowl and then they ultimately lose another one I just don't see them as being all that fired up for the game, while UT has the advantage of what's basically a de facto home game in what could be an opportunity to send off a potential HOF coach with one last win before he's gone.

I'm sure Oregon will be favored and if I had to make a pick I'd probably choose them but I wouldn't just write the game off for UT.
It's possible. But UT is simply not that good. They still have Herp McDerp at QB, and their defense has been a sieve to running QBs all season.

Trust me, I want Texas to win. I just don't see it happening.

Meier

I have watched almost every minute of UT football this year and can very confidently say that Oregon is gonna crush 'em.

KingGondo

Banned
I also wouldn't pencil the Sugar Bowl in as a "sure loss" for Oklahoma.
If OU beats Bama and we lose to Mizzou that would be the cherry on fucking top.

You guys are better than OU. Hell, OSU's better than OU.

Hail Saban, Roll Damn Tide, etc. etc.

Quake1028

Can't be mad at the ACC for forcing the CFA folks to take Duke over us. They deserved it more. Can't wait to freeze my ass off in that fucking high school stadium again :\.

Just saw that 300 level tickets are going for $100+ on Stubhub. Fuck that noise.

cashman

Banned
Saban apparently touched on it at the team banquet last night saying something like "we're disappointed with how the season ended but not disappointed to be playing in the Sugar Bowl." He also said he wasn't sure how the players were going to react since he hasn't been around them due to recruiting, which is a pretty wishy-washy statement.

He has actually been in Austin the whole time.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
He has actually been in Austin the whole time.
Saban's been on the road recruiting. Where Saban has been, however, is really irrelevant when it comes to where he's coaching next year.

Now, if Terry Saban has been in Austin the whole time, then congratulations on your new coach.

Meier

I've never heard of the Nae Nae, but apparently it's a popular dance now (the apparent creator has a video of Auburn players doing it in the locker room after they beat Alabama too). Turn down the volume a little first before watching this -- it's pretty funny.

http://instagram.com/p/g8t8cgGClY/

andycapps

T-Mart is out for the year, their defense is in shambles, theyre offense is decent on the ground, but will struggle in the air.

What a bummer of a matchup. I don't see any reason we should lose the game, but I doubt the team is going to be motivated to play the same team again either. I know they and the fanbase were looking forward to playing Michigan. So while I don't want this game, it would just add insult to injury :)jnc) if the team doesn't show up ready to play and gets embarrassed. Lose lose scenario.

They went 3-7 this year. Surely he's looking for a new challenge at this point.

TTK will be posting the Top 5 countdown style. Top 2 revealed at 8:30 EST, live on ESPN 8!

Sweet, I love The Ocho!

I was tied with AntoneM at 147 but I got 10 points this week to his 5. However, I haven't factored in everybody's worst week being dropped, so I'm not sure if I ended up winning.

Enfinit

Sweet, I love The Ocho!

I was tied with AntoneM at 147 but I got 10 points this week to his 5. However, I haven't factored in everybody's worst week being dropped, so I'm not sure if I ended up winning.

I'm fairly certain I finished Top Ten, which I'm absolutely proud of considering this was the first full year I've done the Pick Ems.

NOLES KNOW WHAT'S UP.

Cutcliffe wouldn't have survived the first few seasons at Tennessee that he had at Duke:

4-8
5-7
3-9
3-9

Duke had nowhere to go but up and had nothing but time. One of the reasons that I'm not worried about him being poached is because he'll survive the inevitable downturn at Duke where as he'll get fired by most anyone else. He can run his program as he sees fit and Duke isn't going to mess with it.

And yet, somehow Jim Grobe got axed at Wake Forest.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
We both know that.

Look at the bright side - without you guys losing to WVU we may not have been able to complete the full Big XII circle of defeat this season.

TTU beat TCU beat ISU beat KU beat WVU beat OSU beat BU beat UT beat OU beat KSU beat TTU.

KingGondo

Banned
Look at the bright side - without you guys losing to WVU we may not have been able to complete the full Big XII circle of defeat this season.

TTU beat TCU beat ISU beat KU beat WVU beat OSU beat BU beat UT beat OU beat KSU beat TTU.
Thanks. That makes me feel a lot better.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
TV ratings from the various games on Saturday:

UCF - SMU- 12n- 1.1 share/ 3 million
Stanford - Arizona State 7:45p- 1.1 share/ 2 million

PAC beaten by AAC

Oklahoma - Oklahoma State 12n- 5.1 share/ 12 million
Duke - Florida State 8p- 4.0 share/ 7 million
Texas - Baylor 3:45p 2.5 share/ 5
Ohio State-Michigan State 8:15p 8.4 share/ 15 million
Missouri Auburn 4p- 8.7 share/ 17 million

Oh, and AJ won the Unitas Game Managing award.
and Leonard Fournette is announcing on January 2nd, same day as the Sugar Bowl. But will getting him and hopefully killing Bob Stoops make up for the IB???

Where's the new thread? I need to see if I won the pick 'em!

Final Pick'em results will be posted later today. The winner will name the bowl thread subtitle. If you want, you and AntoneM can just PM me your title choices and I'll throw the thread up along with the results and the appropriate title ;)

Which reminds me, are we doing the bowl pick'em on Yahoo as usual, with that winner picking the offseason thread title? I seem to recall some discussion around that earlier this year but I can't remember.

So apparently UCF has already sold like 9,000 tickets. Shocked by that.

Edit: Not true it looks like. Seemed wayyyy to crazy although sells are good.

Quake1028

Johnnie Dixon has delayed his announcement again. Dwyer is in the State Title game, so it will come some time after that. I keep hearing he's going to Ohio State. Blargh.

Final Pick'em results will be posted later today. The winner will name the bowl thread subtitle. If you want, you and AntoneM can just PM me your title choices and I'll throw the thread up along with the results and the appropriate title ;)

Which reminds me, are we doing the bowl pick'em on Yahoo as usual, with that winner picking the offseason thread title? I seem to recall some discussion around that earlier this year but I can't remember.

Done. Now I'll just cross my fingers.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I assume this means I didn't manage to come from slightly behind. Which is fine since I have no ideas for the thread title at all and probably would have deferred it anyway.

Should be a top 5 finish, how did the rest of you dudes let me get that close??

I assume this means I didn't manage to come from slightly behind. Which is fine since I have no ideas for the thread title at all and probably would have deferred it anyway.

Should be a top 5 finish, how did the rest of you dudes let me get that close??

You'd need a lot of points to catch up, since I scored 10 points this week.

Piggus

Last year the cheapest tickets were around $50 on stubhub, so if they're still around that price I probably wont go. If I can find some for $20 or $30 I may. San Antonio and the Riverwalk is fun to visit during the holidays.

Yeah, we're gonna stay on the River Walk and since I have family there we're apparently going to do a big BBQ, which should be fun.

Yeah, we're gonna stay on the River Walk and since I have family there we're apparently going to do a big BBQ, which should be fun.

I thought you had family in Dallas which is about a 4.5 hour drive from SA. New family? Anyways that sounds like fun, but I would highly recommend eating some Tex-Mex as well during your stay. My family has a tradition eating at Casa Rio on the riverwalk which I love, but San Antonio natives will claim its overrated tourist food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom