• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 15| Where rankings are made up & SEC losses don't matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
This posted yet? Flight path of private jet from Tuscaloosa to Austin. :jnc

yeah i laughed when I saw it on the shag. Also, our BOR meeting agenda

http://www.utsystem.edu/sites/utsfiles/offices/board-of-regents/files/open-meetings/12-12-13BOR.pdf

c. U. T. Austin: Discussion and appropriate action related to recommendation by Executive
Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Chancellor concerning employment of William C.
Powers, Jr., as President of The University of Texas at Austin

If only this meeting was about Mack Brown's employment...

AntoneM

Final Pick'em results will be posted later today. The winner will name the bowl thread subtitle. If you want, you and AntoneM can just PM me your title choices and I'll throw the thread up along with the results and the appropriate title ;)

Which reminds me, are we doing the bowl pick'em on Yahoo as usual, with that winner picking the offseason thread title? I seem to recall some discussion around that earlier this year but I can't remember.

Done.

Grobe was at Wake for 12 years. By the time Cut is at Duke for 12 years, he'll be ready to retire.

Sure. It was also a dig at Wake Forest, for what it's worth.

I think Duke will be smarter with Cutcliffe. If they regress to the cellar, then all bets are off, they can find somebody else to do just as poorly. But let's say they're down to 6-6 or 5-7. It's Duke, what do you expect?

But ultimately, they might not expect better at Duke or Wake, but they think firing the coach will at least boost ticket sales for a year. Two more down years after that, fire the coach again and repeat the process.

Dali

I know I'm lttp but just wanted to see if there were any of those deliciously bitter tOSU tears left to drink. I've been pulling for Malzahn as head coach for years. Glad to see he's performing as expected.

andycapps

perfectchaos007 said:
yeah i laughed when I saw it on the shag. Also, our BOR meeting agenda

http://www.utsystem.edu/sites/utsfil...2-12-13BOR.pdf

c. U. T. Austin: Discussion and appropriate action related to recommendation by Executive
Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Chancellor concerning employment of William C.
Powers, Jr., as President of The University of Texas at Austin

If only this meeting was about Mack Brown's employment...

Yeah, probably too much to hope for Texas fans for Brown to ever get the boot. He'll leave on his own.

On a non CFB note, anyone planning on playing through Borderlands 2 on PS3 since it's free on PS+ this month. Never played it but I enjoyed the first. Also, looks like I'm probably getting a PS4 for Christmas. My wife had my in laws get me a couple games, plus she's said several times that getting my presents has been hell this year.

I know I'm lttp but just wanted to see if there were any of those deliciously bitter tOSU tears left to drink. I've been pulling for Malzahn as head coach for years. Glad to see he's performing as expected.

Buckeye fans in this thread have been well reserved.

If you're looking for meltdowns, you'll probably be better served finding an Ohio State fan forum.

Dali

Buckeye fans in this thread have been well reserved.

If you're looking for meltdowns, you'll probably be better served finding an Ohio State fan forum.
After losing yeah but during the buildup there was a lot of chest thumping. I guess they can't be blamed for trying to make an argument for their team even before the loss which in itself is hilarious that they'd have to do that.

Edit: lol I was banned during the greatest college football moments of the year.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Sure. It was also a dig at Wake Forest, for what it's worth.

I think Duke will be smarter with Cutcliffe. If they regress to the cellar, then all bets are off, they can find somebody else to do just as poorly. But let's say they're down to 6-6 or 5-7. It's Duke, what do you expect?

But ultimately, they might not expect better at Duke or Wake, but they think firing the coach will at least boost ticket sales for a year. Two more down years after that, fire the coach again and repeat the process.

I would like to think the Duke "brand" is a bit stronger than Wake's and even if its mostly basketball, Cutcliffe has improved the recruiting, he's smart enough to milk his Manning relationship for whatever its worth and a good showing in the Chic-Fil-A bowl will certainly help. I know NW had a rough year after the TOSU game but they've been pretty decent for a good while now. No reason Duke can't achieve that level of success. And then they can try to be the Stanford of the east I guess.

It's amusing how people pop in when we fuck up just to see our "bitter tears."

I'm a Browns fan. Do people really think this shit fazes me?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Why are you so thirsty for them?

Aren't Tide tears enough to sustain you?

Hard to cry when you've won 3 out of 4 NCs. I might have some salty tears after Johnny Football styles on our defense in about 3 weeks, but at the same time its a 10 win dream season, so there won't be too many tears.

Well yeah, they're Auburn fans. They know how important it is to have a good alibi.

giphy.gif

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, probably too much to hope for Texas fans for Brown to ever get the boot. He'll leave on his own.

On a non CFB note, anyone planning on playing through Borderlands 2 on PS3 since it's free on PS+ this month. Never played it but I enjoyed the first. Also, looks like I'm probably getting a PS4 for Christmas. My wife had my in laws get me a couple games, plus she's said several times that getting my presents has been hell this year.

If I have enough room on my ancient PS3, maybe I'll give it a try. Still have to finish that Dragon's Dogma download :lol

cdyhybrid

Coach Pete's introductory press conference is in 20 minutes!

We'll be calling the head coaches of both major football teams in this city "Pete".

JCX

It's amusing how people pop in when we fuck up just to see our "bitter tears."

I'm a Browns fan. Do people really think this shit fazes me?

You guys were so frustratingly civil about it! Almost made me long for that one tOSU fan from years back with the Calvin avatar.

Dammit, I just got called in to work. They didn't say how long, but I figure it'll end right around the time we win the Big 12, give or take a week.

I'm not one to throw around that sort of insular "lifelong" bullshit that goes on in the cesspit called NBA-GAF, but if you're only popping in when your team has won something notable or after a team you hate has fucked up, you're just a sad little coward.

Unlike several other of the GAF sports communities, CFB-GAF is a cool, welcoming place. If you're avoiding it when your team is down, you're just chickenshit, plain and simple.

You guys were so frustratingly civil about it! Almost made me long for that one tOSU fan from years back with the Calvin avatar.

The fact of the matter is that we have very little to complain about, all things considered. Our program is arguably the most stable in the country. And a lot of people are viewing it as a good opportunity to get our shit together on the defensive end. And we're still going to a BCS bowl that's very winnable.

cdyhybrid

I'm not one to throw around that sort of insular "lifelong" bullshit that goes on in the cesspit called NBA-GAF, but if you're only popping in when your team has won something notable or after a team you hate has fucked up, you're just a sad little coward.

Unlike several other of the GAF sports communities, CFB-GAF is a cool, welcoming place. If you're avoiding it when your team is down, you're just chickenshit, plain and simple.

We're very welcoming and tolerant. Except when it comes to Nike U. Screw those guys.

andycapps

If I have enough room on my ancient PS3, maybe I'll give it a try. Still have to finish that Dragon's Dogma download :lol

I haven't gotten Dragon's Dogma. I got Grid 2, first racing game I've played in years. I just can't get into them anymore. Takes too long to master the systems, and that one is pretty arcadey. Borderlands 2 looks like a lot of fun, but those games are made for coop, not to be played by yourself.

I'll be here all week, err.. off season.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Shit, I had more of a meltdown than most of our OSU fans. (see below)

Blame SECSECSEC nonsense.

I saw an SI article that said, in all seriousness, that it was fortunate for the BCS that OSU lost, since it removed any controversy from the title game picks. Fucking really? Two undefeated teams would've been controversial, just because neither of them was from America's Conference? But now that there's one undefeated and a bunch of one-loss teams, there's zero controversy? Fuck that noise.

America still believes in that "not all things are created equal."

I love how the Heisman commercial that just ran on ESPNews had a little asterisk at the bottom that said, "Players subject to change."

cashman

Banned
Shit, I had more of a meltdown than most of our OSU fans. (see below)

Blame SECSECSEC nonsense.

I saw an SI article that said, in all seriousness, that it was fortunate for the BCS that OSU lost, since it removed any controversy from the title game picks. Fucking really? Two undefeated teams would've been controversial, just because neither of them was from America's Conference? But now that there's one undefeated and a bunch of one-loss teams, there's zero controversy? Fuck that noise.

I think the SECSECSEC is overrated as hell, but tOSU in no way deserved a shot in the MNC even if they had beaten MSU.

cashman

Banned
The principle has always been "go undefeated in a real conference, play in the MNC" (incoming angry response from DammitMatt's new alt).

No one cared about SOS except as a bullet point in past years, why start now?

That's the problem.

andycapps

The principle has always been "go undefeated in a real conference, play in the MNC" (incoming angry response from DammitMatt's new alt).

No one cared about SOS except as a bullet point in past years, why start now?

Unfortunately the only thing I can think of is the "old man yells at cloud" picture. Fortunately or unfortunately, the SEC is seen as the top conference in CFB. So if there is a 1 loss SEC team vs a 1 loss team from any other conference, the SEC team will probably get the benefit of the doubt.

Some coworkers were discussing tSOU this morning when I came in and one of them was bitching that tOSU is always talked about as being overrated, but nobody ever talks about Oklahoma and how often they lose big bowl games. And I told him that I don't think anybody pays Big Game Bob any attention because they expect him to fail in big games. Also, in the past few years, the Big 12 has had several pretty good teams, so if one team stumbled the others could pick up the slack. The B1G the last few years has pretty much just been tOSU, so when they're supposedly the top team and then go and get smacked around, that's where you get the overrated talk.

A fate I wouldn't wish on anybody. My condolences.

Being a Browns fan is basically the sports equivalent of being stabbed sixteen times, shot in the face, and set on fire.

And then you're brought back to life in the spring for the draft and made to endure the process over again every single year for the rest of your life.

So people expect me to cry "bitter tears" when Ohio State loses one freaking game? GTFO.

How are there hundreds of tickets for bowl games available on sutbhub if tickets arent on sale yet?

Also:

Tickets for the 2013 Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl will go on sale Sunday morning online at www.GoBulldogs.com beginning at 11 a.m. They are on sale for $55 to the general public, $15 for student and $25 for student-guest tickets.

LOL at those of you paying more than a $50 for a game of football.

cdyhybrid

How are there hundreds of tickets for bowl games available on sutbhub if tickets arent on sale yet?

Also:

LOL at those of you paying more than a $50 for a game of football.

I got tickets for the Vegas bowl for $45 last year, I think. It was a good time other than it being pretty damn cold at the stadium.

Limedust

Being a Browns fan is basically the sports equivalent of being stabbed sixteen times, shot in the face, and set on fire.

And then you're brought back to life in the spring for the draft and made to endure the process over again every single year for the rest of your life.

So people expect me to cry "bitter tears" when Ohio State loses one freaking game? GTFO.

"Oh for fuck's sake, die, will ya?"

andycapps

Right, the point here was why anyone would think a 1-loss SEC team should get in over an undefeated OSU. It didn't happen so at this point it's moot, but that's what I was talking about.

Well let me start this off by saying fuck Auburn, and I hope FSU destroys them.. No SECSECSEC pride here. But if I were to turn this around where UGA won the SEC and had one loss, while tOSU won out and beat MSU on Saturday, I'd probably be lobbying for my own team due to playing a tougher schedule. But it doesn't really matter what I think, it matters what the voters think (and next year, what the selection committee thinks).

So in my previous example, in a supposed down B1G, is going undefeated more impressive than having 1 loss in the SEC? The response from one side will be "We only played what was on our schedule and it's not our fault everyone else sucked." The other side says, "Yeah it's not your fault, but you haven't proven yourself. We have." Who wins, nobody. Because Auburn ended up in the fucking MNC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom