• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Four - Off-Season Thread - tOSU wins it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
When Arkansas has more wins than Florida, are we sure Florida is a top 10 historical program, or just a slightly older Boise State?

jfkgoblue

Top 5 coaching jobs in order:

Ohio State
USC
Michigan
Texas
ND

Nobody else is even close. After that you get your LSUs, your Georgias and your Floridas.
Alabama is there as well, but yeah that's about right.

I'd put the order
1-USC
2-Texas
3-Ohio State
4-Michigan
5-Alabama
6-Notre Dame
When Arkansas has more wins than Florida, are we sure Florida is a top 10 historical program, or just a slightly older Boise State?
The Florida schools are an interesting case, they were shit until the 70-80's, but they have maintained solid success for the past 40 years, and have built up a good brand, plus Florida is the best recruiting state.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That's because Florida population has exploded since the 70s. Its no wonder Miami, FSU, and Florida got good. They went right along with a booming population.

Hell since 1990 FL has gained 7-8 million people. That's more than the whole state population of LSUville.

I'm surprised LSU have let Les go.

Its a plumb job for someone, great talent pool, resources, stadium and in the SEC (so a chance to play 3-4 games against ranked opponents each year).

In Australia, a few of the football teams are installing an experienced senior assistant coach and then a younger head coach with no head coaching experience but plenty of coaching talent.

This is what I would be looking at trying with LSU. Get someone like a Spurrier (or someone who has ties with LSU) and some up and coming coach who could be there for the next 20 years - maybe even a Kiffen.

andycapps

Alabama is there as well, but yeah that's about right.

I'd put the order
1-USC
2-Texas
3-Ohio State
4-Michigan
5-Alabama
6-Notre Dame

The Florida schools are an interesting case, they were shit until the 70-80's, but they have maintained solid success for the past 40 years, and have built up a good brand, plus Florida is the best recruiting state.
I'm gonna need you to walk your homerism back a bit. Michigan is not a top 5 program. Sorry. I am not a Bama fan, but they are a much better program than Michigan.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
I don't understand the support for getting Jimbo Fisher. He's got the Winston rape baggage and Florida State might just get surpassed by Louisville and Clemson. Sounds like a big gamble with a low chance of surpassing Saban.

Jimbo has zero baggage with Winston ( he was on the sideline and welcomed ) and outrecruits both those schools. So they'll be up and down years but FSU will always be in a position to compete. A more competitive ACC != a worse Florida state. If anything it's better. Plus clemson? Lol

A little sad to hear Miles on the radio right now.

Hopefully, LSU crash and burns, taking the reputation of their new HC with them.

ESPN's Prestige Rankings are a numerical method of ranking the best FBS college football programs since the 1936 season. Point values were assigned for certain successes (win a national title, earn 25 points) and failures (get your program banned from the postseason, lose two points). They ran all the numbers through the computer to come up with the No. 1 program (and Nos. 2-119) of the past 73 seasons.

Here are the results:

1. Oklahoma: 1,986
2. USC: 1,897
3. Ohio State: 1,655
4. Notre Dame: 1,579
5. Nebraska: 1,553
6. Alabama: 1,534
7. Texas: 1,494
8. Michigan: 1,332
9. Florida State: 1,110
10. Miami: 1,109

http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=4369664

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I'm gonna need you to walk your homerism back a bit. Michigan is not a top 5 program. Sorry. I am not a Bama fan, but they are a much better program than Michigan.
You're insane.

Maybe in 30 years after Saban retires will Alabama be a decent job again.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
ESPN's Prestige Rankings are a numerical method of ranking the best FBS college football programs since the 1936 season. Point values were assigned for certain successes (win a national title, earn 25 points) and failures (get your program banned from the postseason, lose two points). They ran all the numbers through the computer to come up with the No. 1 program (and Nos. 2-119) of the past 73 seasons.

Here are the results:

The fact that FSU is on that list is insane. Our program is effectively 40 years old. Same with Miami.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
But you have won championships later in the time period, when it was harder to win one as more schools are more competitive.

Yes, but I'm saying most other schools in the top 20 have 30 more years of history. I'm saying that the level of success the Florida schools have had since 1980 is enough to put them in the top 15 of the last 73 years is nuts.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Any chance a conference has two playoff teams? I think the big 12 gets left out. I think Houston drops two... And maybe, Stanford loses a wtf game. What yah guys think?

jfkgoblue

I already stated this but here it goes again:

Important pillars that Michigan leads the country in:
Athletic Department revenue
Attendance
Wins and winning percentage

Pillars that Michigan has a top 5 ranking in
Fan base size
Recruiting classes
National recognition(one the largest national brands)

There is a reason Michigan was able to lure the most sought after coach in history away from NFL teams offering way more money
ND isn't a top 10 job any more. I'd put like 6 SEC schools over them.
What?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
ND isn't a top 10 job any more. I'd put like 6 SEC schools over them.

If ND can be unranked for the next 2 years, Alabama will finally catch up.

Alabama had 20 someodd wins obliterated over Textbooks, would be #3 in all time wins :/

To be in the top 5 after having a decade of football obliterated, is something else. Die in a Glazed Donut Fire, Phil Fulmer.

Oh the flipside, Michigan has 30 wins from before most teams even bothered to play this game called football. Whose to say the game of football was even the same back then.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Any chance a conference has two playoff teams? I think the big 12 gets left out. I think Houston drops two... And maybe, Stanford loses a wtf game. What yah guys think?

Big Ten is the likeliest.

Loser of the Michigan/Ohio State game goes undefeated otherwise.

Disgusting ^ rooting for wisconsin now

I'm actually keeping an eye on both the Wisco-UMich (besides it already being a top-ten match-up) and Wisco-OSU games just because of their chance to play spoilermaker to all three of the BIG East power players.

We've already established Florida is a stepping stone school.

Speaking of stepping stone schools, this is what I'm most curious about with MSU post-Dantonio. It'll be interesting to see whether they continue the success or if it becomes a repeat of the post-Daugherty years (i.e. their kinda just "meh" with a few intermittent years of outstanding success).

Louiville-Clemson is pretty close, if whoever loses this week goes on and remains at 1 loss and the winner goes on and is undefeated.

Voras

I think the two head coaches in 3 years narrative is over blown. Sarkisian wasn't fired because the team sucked, he was fired because he has a disease that he wasn't willing to get help for it. If that hadn't been the case he would still be coaching.

Despite all the coaching issues USC has still out recruited the rest of the conference. They have new on field facilities and the coliseum is getting upgrades thanks to the Rams.

It's the proverbial sleeping giant. Yes the expectations are high, but the resources are better than any other job in the market.

I would argue people don't make nearly a big enough deal out of their coaching issues. Kiffin was only there for 3 1/2 years, which isn't a long time to rebuild a program, especially one that is on probation. Whether or not Kiffin deserved to get fired that doesn't change the fact that the way they fired him was really shitty. They straight up left him at the airport. That's not a good look, and not one that inspires confidence in future head coach candidates. Why take a job where you've know that the school has been dumping coaches fast and showing them no respect when doing it.

As for Sark I do think that USC bears some of the responsibility for that decision, there were rumors about his problems well before they hired him. His former players talked. Even without all of that Sark wasn't a smart choice, they were just trying to scrape the bottom of the Pete Carroll barrel. hiring his old coordinators. And in hiring Sark they pretty much gave the middle finger to Orgeron, who the players actually liked.

And then they went and hired Helton, who had no previous head coaching experience. If USC really is the number 1 job in college football why didn't they bring in someone bigger? I'm not debating the fact that they will eventually recover. I'm sure they will. But based on their actions over the last 5 years I don't see why a big name coach would choose them right now.

Also even though they've continued to recruit well they haven't really performed up to the level of their talent. Since Carroll left they've gone to two Holiday Bowls, the Las Vegas Bowl, and the Sun Bowl. Compared to 5 Rose Bowl appearances and 2 Orange Bowls during the Carroll era. Considering they still recruit well I'm not sure what to attribute their lack of success in the last 7 years other than coaching issues. Sure they had some down years because of sanctions but they're well past that at this point and yet they've started this season 1-3.

It seems pretty clear that USC wants results fast, that's not a great place to be in as a head coach.

andycapps

Attendance

Fan base size
Recruiting classes

There is a reason Michigan was able to lure the most sought after coach in history away from NFL teams offering way more money

What?

You're right, he burned bridges with the 49ers by being an asshole.

Cherry picked stats that go back to the 1800's when putting together a top 5. I'm sure 18 year olds do a lot of side by side comparisons with that in mind.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Cherry picked stats that go back to the 1800's when putting together a top 5. I'm sure 18 year olds do a lot of side by side comparisons with that in mind.
Why so angry, Andy?

El_Chino

Attendance

Fan base size
Recruiting classes

What?
Wow.

ryseing

Apparently Feldman is saying Fedora is an option for LSU, which would mean Miles could take the UNC job and coach his kid.

Kill me.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Not really angry, just frustrated with the level of posts we've had since being in OT. I like getting our numbers back up some but yeah..

I feel you, after all we know Nebraska is actually the top 5 school.

Listy list:

-Better nicknamed "Big Red" school than Cornell.
-3 National championships 20 years ago that Nebraska fans remember.
-Sellout streak dating back to your mom.
-All-time nice fans.

Checkmate, all 2nd place teams.

jfkgoblue

First, I'm talking about the Raiders and Bears who tried very hard to get him when he left SF, and ask any 49ers fan if they'd rather have Harbaugh back. I can bring up the old articles from pundits how there was no way Harbaugh leaves the NFL, because a successful NFL coach has never gone back to college.

2nd, what cherry picked stats? Most wins in CFB is not cherry picked and if you think that it doesn't help with recruiting I don't know what to tell you. I have no idea what else could be "cherry picked stats", those are all current stats, that matter a lot.

Michigan is one of the very best schools at recruiting nationally, getting top guys on both coasts. Michigan has one of the most iconic stadiums, top tier facilities, and the brand name to recruit very very well. Michigan had a top 5 recruiting class this year with only a couple from instate and 0 from Ohio. There are very few schools that can recruit nationally like Michigan(unfortunately 2 of those are OSU and ND)

The point being Michigan has it all- recruiting, resources, brand name recognition.
If you don't think Michigan is important look at that Nike contract it got.
Exactly, it is by far the richest apparel contract, at the time it was signed.

Here are the results:

This is 7 years old. They did another one this year that had Ohio state as 1, see if I can find it

Still it kind of a hilarious formula

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Michigan is definitely a top 10 job.

Even when Michigan was shit they still had pretty good recruiting classes.

I would agree. In no particular order, I would rank the top 10 coaching jobs as such:

Alabama
Florida
Florida State
Michigan
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Texas
USC
Notre Dame
LSU

Of those, LSU and USC are en vogue despite a)LSU's upcoming potential dumpster fire, a la Tennessee and USC combined unless they make a home run hire, and b)USC's total irrelevance since Carroll left.

You could swap out those two for any of the following: Miami, Georgia, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Auburn, Michigan State, Texas A&M, Stanford, and UCLA. All for different reasons.

Cyan

Banned
iWYZjRW.jpg

So Petrino's going to LSU, huh? Interesting choice.

jfkgoblue

I would agree. In no particular order, I would rank the top 10 coaching jobs as such:

Alabama
Florida
Florida State
Michigan
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Texas
USC
Notre Dame
LSU

Of those, LSU and USC are en vogue despite a)LSU's upcoming potential dumpster fire, a la Tennessee and USC combined unless they make a home run hire, and b)USC's total irrelevance since Carroll left.

You could swap out those two for any of the following: Miami, Georgia, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Auburn, Michigan State, Texas A&M, Stanford, and UCLA. All for different reasons.
USC is the best job in CFB, Texas is the 2nd best.

The rest of those listed is debateable, although MSU is maybe top 25 at best, even at their best, they couldn't beat Michigan at their worst in recruiting.

The east coast's version of Oregon. Although they might not have bought their way into relevance like Oregon did.

I would argue people don't make nearly a big enough deal out of their coaching issues. Kiffin was only there for 3 1/2 years, which isn't a long time to rebuild a program, especially one that is on probation. Whether or not Kiffin deserved to get fired that doesn't change the fact that the way they fired him was really shitty. They straight up left him at the airport. That's not a good look, and not one that inspires confidence in future head coach candidates. Why take a job where you've know that the school has been dumping coaches fast and showing them no respect when doing it.

As for Sark I do think that USC bears some of the responsibility for that decision, there were rumors about his problems well before they hired him. His former players talked. Even without all of that Sark wasn't a smart choice, they were just trying to scrape the bottom of the Pete Carroll barrel. hiring his old coordinators. And in hiring Sark they pretty much gave the middle finger to Orgeron, who the players actually liked.

And then they went and hired Helton, who had no previous head coaching experience. If USC really is the number 1 job in college football why didn't they bring in someone bigger? I'm not debating the fact that they will eventually recover. I'm sure they will. But based on their actions over the last 5 years I don't see why a big name coach would choose them right now.

Also even though they've continued to recruit well they haven't really performed up to the level of their talent. Since Carroll left they've gone to two Holiday Bowls, the Las Vegas Bowl, and the Sun Bowl. Compared to 5 Rose Bowl appearances and 2 Orange Bowls during the Carroll era. Considering they still recruit well I'm not sure what to attribute their lack of success in the last 7 years other than coaching issues. Sure they had some down years because of sanctions but they're well past that at this point and yet they've started this season 1-3.

It seems pretty clear that USC wants results fast, that's not a great place to be in as a head coach.

In this day and age if you're at a Blue Chip school and aren't competing for MNCs by the end of your third year you're probably a failure. Urban Meyer and Nick Saban kinda fucked that up for anyone who coaches USC/Michigan/Notre Dame/Texas in the next 10-15 years. Maybe things go back to how they were in the 90s and coaches start getting full 4 year cycles, but that just isn't the norm anymore.

I do agree that USC should've vetted Sark better, but that's the Pat Haden way. He did more damage to his alma mater than Paul Dee could've ever dreamt.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
So Petrino's going to LSU, huh? Interesting choice.

Well, he did say he isn't interested in the vacancy. That is Saban/Petrino speak for "I don't like seeing an empty seat, so I might as well sit down."

USC is the best job in CFB, Texas is the 2nd best.

The rest of those listed is debateable, although MSU is maybe top 25 at best, even at their best, they couldn't beat Michigan at their worst in recruiting.

USC is certainly not the best anymore. It has been tainted after the last 7 years, and wasn't some huge prize when Carroll got the job, either. They recruit well, but it doesn't have the same cache as Alabama or Ohio State, to name two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom