• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Nine: Penn State Overcomes Adversity, is Healing Now

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
LLkuYrx.jpg

It's officially announced: "Penn State is Back"
a168IIW.gif

fYsQmsJ.jpg

fETMbYH.gif

FK8Txe8.gif

wYm9tOO.jpg

9HG75ll.gif

Q4SejIM.gif

Local Beat Writer's Poll of Indemnity
1. Alabama 8-0
2. Michigan 7-0
3. Clemson 7-0
4. Washington 7-0
5. Louisville 6-1
6. Ohio State 6-1
7. Nebraska 7-0
8. Baylor 6-0
9. Texas A&M 6-1
10. West Virginia 6-0
11. Wisconsin 5-2
12. Florida State 5-2
13. Boise State 7-0
14. Florida 5-1
15. Auburn 5-2
16. Oklahoma 5-2
17. Utah 7-1
18. Tennessee 5-2
19. LSU 5-2
20. Western Michigan 8-0
21. North Carolina 6-2
22. Navy 5-1
23. Colorado 6-2
24. Penn State 5-2
25. Virginia Tech 5-2​

University Bagmens Poll of Scruples
1. Alabama 8-0
2. Michigan 7-0
3. Clemson 7-0
4. Washington 7-0
5. Louisville 6-1
6. Nebraska 7-0
7. Baylor 6-0
8. Ohio State 6-1
9. West Virginia 6-0
10. Texas A&M 6-1
11. Wisconsin 5-2
12. Florida 5-1
13. Boise State 7-0
14. Florida State 5-2
15. Oklahoma 5-2
16. Utah 7-1
17. Auburn 5-2
18. Tennessee 5-2
19. LSU 5-2
20. North Carolina 6-2
21. Western Michigan 8-0
22. Navy 5-1
23. Colorado 6-2
24. Houston 6-2
25. Virginia Tech 5-2​

Schedule of Notable Games
In Glorious Central Time Format

Thursday, October 27
#25 Virginia Tech Pittsburgh 6:00 PM ESPN​

Friday, October 28
#22 Navy South Florida 6:00 PM ESPN2​

Saturday, October 29
#5 Louisville @ Virginia 11:00 AM ABC/ESPN2
#10 West Virginia @ Oklahoma State 11:00 AM FOX
#2 Michigan @ Michigan State 11:00 AM ESPN
#24 Penn State @ Purdue 11:00 AM ABC/ESPN2
#14 Florida @ Georgia 2:30 PM CBS
#8 Baylor @ Texas 2:30 PM ABC
#4 Washington @ #17 Utah 2:30 PM FS1
Northwestern @ #6 Ohio State 2:30 PM ESPN
#13 Boise State @ Wyoming 6:00 PM CBSSN
Kansas @ #16 Oklahoma 6:00 PM FS1
#7 Nebraska @ #11 Wisconsin 6:00 PM ESPN
#15 Auburn @ Ole Miss 6:15 PM SECN
#18 Tennessee @ South Carolina 6:15 PM ESPN2
New Mexico State @ #9 Texas A&M 6:30 PM ESPNU
#3 Clemson @ #12 Florida State 7:00 PM ABC
Non-Notable Games of the Week
Friday, October 28
California @ USC 9:30 PM ESPN​

Saturday, October 29
Miami @ Notre Dame 2:30 PM NBC​

Pick 'em
Week 9 pick 'em: https://goo.gl/forms/noOOYRYHAfoO2jIq2

UCF/HOUST
UK/MIZZOU
WVU/OSU
MICH/MSU
FLA/UGA
WASH/UTAH
SMU/TULANE
UNT/UTSA
ASU/ORE
NEB/WISC
CLEM/FSU
NM/HAW

Top 20(well, 22 because of ties):
68 jstevenson
68 sf2fanatic
65 ag
65 MrJames
62 Dsyndrome
61 ErnieMcCracken
61 zyxwvu4321
60 jfkgoblue
59 FloydtheFathead
59 Karl2177
58 felixorion
56 BTM
55 Lonestar
54 bpfd
54 Mac the KNife
53 Quake1028
52 ryseing
52 Subitai
51 Bucknuticus
51 Chicko1983
51 Deacon
51 perfectchaos007​

The Decided Schematic Advantage - CFB GAF's very own podcast

Listen to Tom (Azwethinkweiz), Andy (Andycapps), Mike (Lonestar), and Andrew (bucknuticus) discuss the latest in college football news, a little bit about video games, and TV.

The link to subscribe to The Decided Schematic Advantage is here.

New Episodes on Thursday, or whenever Andy finds enough time at work to work on it.

How to Subscribe to this Thread

Web browser: click on the "Subscribe" button on the top right side of the screen. Next click "add subscription".

Mobile: Click on the "Tools" button, found by scrolling all the way to the bottom. Then click "Add Subscription".

eddie-jackson-alabama-775x465.png

Thanks for Everything, Eddie. Get Well Soon and Earn yourself a NFL Paycheck.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Undefeated Baylor is only a 3 point favorite against 3-4 Texas. Free money for those who bet on CFB

My initial topic plan was based on Texas no longer being Strong Enough, with a giant picture of Sad Charlie Strong.

But I guess that's what next week is for.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Podcast topics/questions tonight?

Last week we went through them rapid fire style

Not sure if you are still taking questions, but if so here ya go.

A few years into the CFP are you happy with 4 teams or do you want it to expand? If so to what? 6? 8?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
As long as we don't have a week where we get bent over like the last time we were 7-0 in a season, I will be fine and dandy.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
don't worry, I am not attending this Nebraska / Wisconsin game, unlike the 2011, 2012 and 2014 Wisconsin blowouts... so Nebraska has a shot.

ryseing

BAD BAD BAD NO EXPANSION OF THE PLAYOFF.

I was originally for expansion to eight but I've come back around to wanting to stay at four, especially after Michigan State got hammered last year.

There just aren't seven other teams who can compete at Alabama's level. It'd be nice to expand to eight and guarantee a spot for a G5 champion, but most likely they're going to get exposed so there's really no point.

andycapps

New episode of the podcast is up! Info on subscribing is in the OP.

Ep 12 - #PAC12AFTERDARK

This week we are joined by a special guest, Chris (cdyhybrid), who tells us that the PAC 12 does still exist and they do play a form of football there. More importantly Washington actually plays defense.

Swag Kelly is going to remind NFL teams his greatest attribute is his swagg, but please don't call Mia Khalifa to confirm.

GOTW - Washington @ Utah

TOTW - Kentucky and Missouri

Tom is also watching Atlanta and confirming it's a good show if you don't trust Andy's opinion on quality television.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
GotW UW at UU? I am not too sure about that.

Utah is about to get exposed. I am thinking 17 to 21-point loss.

Top GsOTW for me:

WVU at OK St: #10 (what should be a 6-1 Top 20 team) Mike Gundy is a man, dammit, and I bet you he proves it here. (WVU 34, OKST 39)

Northwestern at Ohio St - Never count out the fightin' Fitzgeralds. They are scrappy as hell this year and if OSU comes out flat, this could end up being another PSU situation. They will probably play angry, however. (OSU 47, NW 23)

Clemson at Florida St - Is this the week that Clemson's luck finally runs out? (UC 21, FSU 24)

Nebraska at Wisconsin - Is the worst 7-0 team of all time worthy to stand up to Wisconsin's insanely stout defense (8 total TDs allowed by defense all year) and competent offense? (NU 17, UW 14)

andycapps

GotW UW at UU? I am not too sure about that.

Utah is about to get exposed. I am thinking 17 to 21-point loss.

Top GsOTW for me:

WVU at OK St: #10 (what should be a 6-1 Top 20 team) Mike Gundy is a man, dammit, and I bet you he proves it here. (WVU 34, OKST 39)

Northwestern at Ohio St - Never count out the fightin' Fitzgeralds. They are scrappy as hell this year and if OSU comes out flat, this could end up being another PSU situation. They will probably play angry, however. (OSU 47, NW 23)

Clemson at Florida St - Is this the week that Clemson's luck finally runs out? (UC 21, FSU 24)

Nebraska at Wisconsin - Is the worst 7-0 team of all time worthy to stand up to Wisconsin's insanely stout defense (8 total TDs allowed by defense all year) and competent offense? (NU 17, UW 14)
:(

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
If you guys still had Richt, I would say the Florida game would be intriguing, but I am just not sure if they have it in them to beat an overrated Gators team this year. Sorry. You will find solace in seeing them take it dry against Fournette and LSU in a few weeks, though.

Lunar15

If you guys still had Richt, I would say the Florida game would be intriguing, but I am just not sure if they have it in them to beat an overrated Gators team this year. Sorry. You will find solace in seeing them take it dry against Fournette and LSU in a few weeks, though.

We're beat up though. Missing some key defensive players. I think it could go either way.

andycapps

Richt would still have the same OL to work with though. Still, first time coaching mistakes have gotten us a little bit. But Richt teams being unprepared tended to get us a couple times every year as well.

People seem to forget that it took Utah 4 rain induced fumbles and an epic final drive with multiple 4th down conversions to sneak past a USC team that was still trying to find an identity.

Browning probably spent the week looking at tape of Utah's defense being shredded by a former walk on for UCLA and salivated.

Of course it's the PAC 12 so I'm probably totally wrong and Utah will wax them.

ryseing

Richt would still have the same OL to work with though. Still, first time coaching mistakes have gotten us a little bit. But Richt teams being unprepared tended to get us a couple times every year as well.

Spencer Hall had it right. WGOCP is unwatchable if you don't have any affiliation.

People seem to forget that it took Utah 4 rain induced fumbles and an epic final drive with multiple 4th down conversions to sneak past a USC team that was still trying to find an identity.

Browning probably spent the week looking at tape of Utah's defense being shredded by a former walk on for UCLA and salivated.

Of course it's the PAC 12 so I'm probably totally wrong and Utah will wax them.

In SLC and like you said, it's the P12. It should be a good game.

andycapps

The likelihood of this fan being upset this year is slim to none, but at least we can enjoy this stroll down memory lane.

UFRP3VRh.jpg

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Does West Virginia have a legit chance to run the tables?

I think so. Still not sold on Baylor (very weak schedule so far outside of a down Oklahoma State) and Oklahoma has shown some pretty big weaknesses. They should be solidly favored against everybody else. Don't know that I'd put money on it but it's very realistic IMO.

Not that WVU's schedule so far has been all that great either, mind.

jfkgoblue

I was originally for expansion to eight but I've come back around to wanting to stay at four, especially after Michigan State got hammered last year.

There just aren't seven other teams who can compete at Alabama's level. It'd be nice to expand to eight and guarantee a spot for a G5 champion, but most likely they're going to get exposed so there's really no point.
I think 6 is ideal, top 2 seeds get byes P5's get automatic berths and it leaves 1 spot for a G5 or at large non champs

Go back to 11 game seasons, move the CCG up 1 week play first rounds at higher seeds stadiums.

Top Bottom