• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Week 1 |OT| Offseason's over. Back to #TALKINBOUTTHENOLES

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryseing

Screen_Shot_2017_08_26_at_6.07.23_PM.png

Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall.- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Hi Off Topic! We interrupt your regular schedule of comic book movie discussion and memes to inform you that the greatest sport in the world has returned!

(No, not rugby. Sorry y'all.)

Yes, technically there have already been games played. But our sport is a silly one, so this Thursday is considered by most to be the real start of the season.

AP Poll said:
1. Alabama(52)
2. Ohio State(3)
3. Florida State(4)
4. USC(2)
5. Clemson
6. Penn State
7. Oklahoma
8. Washington
9. Wisconsin
10. Oklahoma State
11. Michigan
12. Auburn
13. LSU
14. Stanford
15. Georgia
16. Louisville
17. Florida
18. Miami
19. South Florida
20. Kansas State
21. Virginia Tech
22. West Virginia
23. Texas
24. Washington State
25. Tennessee

Coaches Poll said:
1. Alabama(49)
2. Ohio State(5)
3. Florida State(4)
4. USC
5. Clemson(7)
6. Penn State
7. Washington
8. Oklahoma
9. Michigan
10. Wisconsin
11. Oklahoma State
12. LSU
13. Auburn
14. Stanford
15. Georgia
16. Florida
17. Louisville
18. Miami
19. Kansas State
20. West Virginia
21. South Florida
22. Virginia Tech
23. Texas
24. Tennessee
25. Utah

Week 1 Notable Games (All times in EST and all rankings AP)

Thursday, August 31

Tulsa @ #10 Oklahoma State, 7:30 PM
#2 Ohio State @ Indiana, 8 PM
Friday, September 1

Colorado vs. Colorado State, 8 PM
Utah State @ #9 Wisconsin, 9 PM

Saturday, September 2

Noon kick

Kent State @ #5 Clemson
Akron @ #6 Penn State
Maryland @ #23 Texas
Wyoming @ Iowa
Cal @ North Carolina

Bethune-Cookman @ #18 Miami, 12:30 PM
NC State vs. South Carolina, 3 PM

3:30 kick
UTEP @ #7 Oklahoma
#11 Michigan vs. #17 Florida
Temple @ Noter Dame

Stony Brook @ #19 USF, 4 PM
Western Michigan @ #4 USC, 5:15 PM
Appy State @ #15 Georgia, 6:15 PM
Central Arkansas @ #20 Kansas State, 7:10 PM
Georgia Southern @ #12 Auburn, 7:30 PM
#16 Louisville vs. Purdue, 7:30 PM
#3 Florida State vs. #1 Alabama, 8 PM
BYU vs. #13 LSU, 9:30 PM

#pac12afterdark
Montana State @ #24 Washington State, 10:30 PM
Northern Arizona @ Arizona, 11 PM
Sunday, September 3

#22 West Virginia vs. #21 Virginia Tech, 7:30 PM
Texas A&M @ UCLA, 7:30 PM
Monday, September 4

#25 Champions of Life vs. Georgia Tech, 8 PM

Rest of the schedule can be found here.

Season Pick'Em (hidden in tags)- You have until Thursday at noon to complete this. Thanks Bucknuticus!

Week 1 Pick'Em (hidden in tags)- You have until Thursday at 7:30 PM to complete this. Thanks Karl2177!

Recommended Pre-Season Reading

Bill Connelly's 2017 CFB previews

Some dude on Reddit's preview guide

CFB-GAF's very own podcast- The Decided Schematic Advantage

Subscribe here in iTunes or search for The Decided Schematic Advantage in your podcast app of choice. Send questions and comments to podcast@the-cog.com. I'll update this later this week with their newest episode.

Jeff-DSA

BYU played the most base, boring game of football possible on Saturday. That said, even playing a base offense and defense, they should have done much better against an FCS school. Not the most encouraging thing to see, but I know they were holding back. Also, the receivers apparently had brick hands. Hopefully that's just a one-game trend and not a season one.

I really, really, really hope ESPN isn't going to use that Taylor Swift song for Saturday Night Football all season. Having PSVue means I'm going to see hear that song four times every commercial break until December.

Jeff-DSA

Will this be the year that ESPN doesn't use Fall Out Boy for commercial break highlight packages? WE CAN ONLY HOPE.

Let's go!

I'n traveling from University of Alabama on Thursday to Altanta to Dragoncon. I'd go to our game, but there's no way I can justify the price point.

Zee-Row

Banned
USF scared me this week. Then they found themselves. Nice way to get the Charlie Strong era started with a win though. Willie T got blown out by a nobody school his first game.

shandy706

Heh, that SEC pic in OP is great. It's true though. The SEC basically sucks minus a couple teams.

Anyway, I hope FSU beats Bama....then I hope Clemson beats FSU later in the year.

Playing Auburn and Louisville back to back is going to be rough.😥

Edit* ^^^ Think Ohio State could score at least a field goal on Clemson this year?

Please dont forget to do your conference champs picks so far only have 11 responses.

QUOTE TO REVEAL LINK!!

Season Pick'Em (hidden in tags)- You have until Thursday at noon to complete this.

We will have fancy graphs this year to show how stupid all of us are.

Please dont forget to do your conference champs picks so far only have 11 responses.

QUOTE TO REVEAL LINK!!

Season Pick'Em (hidden in tags)- You have until Thursday at noon to complete this.

We will have fancy graphs this year to show how stupid all of us are.

SEC Alabama
PAC12 Alabama
BIG10 Alabama
ACC Alabama
BIG12 Alabama

thank goodness the darkness has past

so this is the first year of my life when I haven't lived in or near SEC football country. People here are really weird, they root for the Washington Huskies. I always through Huskies fans didn't actually exist, nope they do and they are generally decent people.

I even see some people with Oregon Ducks stickers on their cars too. Usually driving bad, I guess you never do really recover from looking at those uniforms too long.

Then there is like actual merchandise for Wazzu! It even has their school logo on it and not just an empty bottle of fireball or a jpeg of mike leach doing mental calculus.

edit: can we get a primer for cord-cutters: ideally what you'd want to watch marquee matchups and what you want to have to spend all day on your ass watching football until you fall asleep in your chair watching the hawaii home game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom