• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Week 1 |OT| Offseason's over. Back to #TALKINBOUTTHENOLES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Week 1 podcast picks
eD2HmLJ.jpg

tenor.gif

jfkgoblue

Technically the Texas one is way worse. I mean, that was Maryland at home.

Now maybe Maryland us an up and coming program.

Maryland is an up and coming program, they went bowling in year one with Durkin in arguably the toughest division in CFB and had a top 20 recruiting class this past year.

Maryland is an up and coming program, they went bowling in year one with Durkin in arguably the toughest division in CFB and had a top 20 recruiting class this past year.

If Texas wasn't ranked that loss to Maryland wouldn't have seemed as bad. Like you said Maryland was coming off a season they went bowling, and Texas was coming off their second consecutive 5-7 season and had a mediocre 2017 recruiting class. Only variable really was our new coach and pundits thought that would make a world of difference. The Texas game @ Maryland next year will be telling of where Tom Herman is taking the program.

I was at a BBQ at my great uncle's house, who went to UCLA as well as numerous other family members of mine. We kinda stopped paying attention after halftime, but all the sudden shit got real in the 4th and the party went almost silent as we watched the comeback. That was awesome!!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I turned off UCLA / aTm at 44-10 and went to dinner, didn't look at my phone, got home and the Aggies blew it?!?!

oh man...

trembli0s

Being an Aggie sports fan is fucking brutal.

At least the Astros are giving me something to cheer about.

How the fuck is it possible for an entire state that produces as much talent as Texas does to suck on all fucking fronts?

ag-my001

Must read from GoodBullHunting:
https://www.goodbullhunting.com/2017/9/4/16250956/texas-am-is-back

GoT spoilers
DEFENSE
SCALE: Military Structures

SCORE: The Wall (Game Of Thrones). Even more impressive to see that you had ever imagined in your wildest dreams. Keeps out invaders on the ground and actively attacks those who seek to go over the top. Then after all that time being awesome some dude shows up shooting powder-blue flames at it and it collapses completely and you’re like what the fuck was the point of all of that this sucks.

Being an Aggie sports fan is fucking brutal.

At least the Astros are giving me something to cheer about.

How the fuck is it possible for an entire state that produces as much talent as Texas does to suck on all fucking fronts?

Talent pool spread out over 12 FBS programs (More than any other state) + top tier out of state programs are able to lure some of the top recruits to go out of state. (#1 2018 in-state recruit Anthony Cook is a soft-commit to Ohio State for example.)
Also, most Texas schools have rosters that are 90% Texas players. Oklahoma and Oklahoma state are about 50-60% Texas players. The talent pool in Texas is more diluted than anywhere else in the country since so many programs have their footprint in Texas. It certainly didn't help when A&M went to the SEC which gave a bunch of programs outside of LSU and Bama to get their footprint in the state. (LSU has long had their footprint in Texas, and Alabama has their footprint everywhere )

So, its a lot of factors. Also, Texas doesn't produce too many 5* linemen like you'll find in the south so the talent isn't very balanced....its mostly speed guys and QBs

Talent pool spread out over 12 FBS programs (More than any other state) + top tier out of state programs are able to lure some of the top recruits to go out of state. (#1 2018 in-state recruit Anthony Cook is a soft-commit to Ohio State for example.)
Also, most Texas schools have rosters that are 90% Texas players. Oklahoma and Oklahoma state are about 50-60% Texas players. The talent pool in Texas is more diluted than anywhere else in the country since so many programs have their footprint in Texas. It certainly didn't help when A&M went to the SEC which gave a bunch of programs outside of LSU and Bama to get their footprint in the state. (LSU has long had their footprint in Texas, and Alabama has their footprint everywhere )

So, its a lot of factors. Also, Texas doesn't produce too many 5* linemen like you'll find in the south so the talent isn't very balanced....its mostly speed guys and QBs

In 2015 A&M got 3 of the top 50 OL recruits in the nation: http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/Recruits?Position.PositionGroup=O-LINE

All 3 were from in state.

In 2016 they only managed one: http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/Recruits?Position.PositionGroup=O-LINE

And in 2017 they also grabbed one: http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Recruits?Position.PositionGroup=O-LINE

Over the same 3 year period Alabama grabbed 12 offensive linemen ranked in the top 50 for their given year.

Then again it probably isn't fair to compare anyone to what Alabama is doing in terms of recruiting these days.

Wow turned that game off before the half to watch Virginia Tech and the worst fan base in america. Now I might watch that 2nd half. Sumlin will probably make it til the end of the season but he will be the first from a power 4 conference let go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom