• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 14 - Last Chance (For Chaos)

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Good game, always fun watching Army v Navy even though Army hasn't been good for ages.

I always like watching this triple option teams play... always fun.

So why hasn't McCaffery gotten as much buzz as Henry? I was hearing about him really early in the season but then again, I'm in Denver and we're a tad biased here.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So why hasn't McCaffery gotten as much buzz as Henry? I was hearing about him really early in the season but then again, I'm in Denver and we're a tad biased here.

A bunch of Stanford's games started really late on the east coast, so basically only half the country was watching him.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
2 good outcomes could happen.

dh wins
dh is pissed

well, hopefully we can win a playoff game this year

pac-12 leaky defences.

Well done Henry.

SECSECSEC!

Also, did anyone notice his watch?? How does and amateur athlete afford that....

Nick Saban is reminding me of the grinch at the moment

The-Grinch-how-the-grinch-stole-christmas-30805541-1024-768.jpg

what states are midwest, southwest and farwest regions?

Only Farwest had maccaffrey ahead of henry. Henry won every other region in votes.

Lonestar

Saban loves games that are "locked in a phonebooth" games. His teams are designed for those game.

NervousXtian

McCaffrey deserved it most, but can't be mad at the season Henry had... it's just McCaffrey beat Sanders record.. he had a truly truly historic season.

I think it's East-coast bias.. and the fact that despite all the numbers McCaffrey didn't have anywhere near the same amount of TD's.

Also fuck this weak Pac-12 defense shit.. how about Henry getting run behind that fucking Alabama O-line.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
what states are midwest, southwest and farwest regions?

Only Farwest had maccaffrey ahead of henry. Henry won every other region in votes.

V4wkjQs.jpg

Edit: You're Aus, no idea how familiar you are with population density, but most of those big states in the "far west" are among the lowest in population, which is why it's so big.

Also fuck this weak Pac-12 defense shit.. how about Henry getting run behind that fucking Alabama O-line.

This was probably in Henry's favor, he did what he did with a bad OL.

Lonestar

McCaffrey deserved it most, but can't be mad at the season Henry had... it's just McCaffrey beat Sanders record.. he had a truly truly historic season.

I think it's East-coast bias.. and the fact that despite all the numbers McCaffrey didn't have anywhere near the same amount of TD's.

Stanford's line is much better. Alabama's has gotten better, but still in bottom 50 of tackles for loss taken. Probably for false starts and holding too

Saban loves games that are "locked in a phonebooth" games. His teams are designed for those game.

Yeah, but Spartans also love that type of game.

Its gonna be a low scoring, but intense game I think.

The Stanford O-line in Pac-12 has a bigger advantage than Bama o-line in the SEC.

I think the TDs hurt McCaffrey's chance more than the East coast locality.

People looking over the stats would weight TDs more than yds I reckon. I know I do.

I think he will win it next year though. He really wasnt talked about until about halfway through the season because of his improvement from last season being so great. Henry was always sort of there abouts when people were thinking a RB would win the Heisman this year.

Now people are noticing McCaffrey, he has one hand on it for next year. If he has a similar season, its in the bag.

Edit: You're Aus, no idea how familiar you are with population density, but most of those big states in the "far west" are among the lowest in population, which is why it's so big.

This was probably in Henry's favor, he did what he did with a bad OL.

Thanks for that. Yeah, I saw a lot of the states are farwest but only really California has a big population out of all of them. So the regions are all roughly the same population then?

Draxal

Midwest can mean the area from Oklahoma all the way to Ohio, which is actually a rather large area.

I'd like to separate those two areas into the Greats Plains (Oklahoma and up) and Midwest (Ohio/Michigan/Indiana/Illinois).

It's a fact, though. There isn't one legit D in the Pac-12. SEC has 4 defenses in the top 10. Washington is Pac-12's best ranked defense in 28th place.

And McCaffrey took two more games to beat Sanders's record...

Lonestar

It's a fact, though. There isn't one legit D in the Pac-12. SEC has 4 defenses in the top 10. Washington is Pac-12's best ranked defense in 28th place.

they'dhave to add Henry's touchdowns to Mccaffrey's just to best Sanders singleseason of 37 Touchdowns (38)

Midwest can mean the area from Oklahoma all the way to Ohio, which is actually a rather large area.

I'd like to separate those two areas into the Greats Plains (Oklahoma and up) and Midwest (Ohio/Michigan/Indiana/Illinois).

Thats how I would usually think of the mid-west, definitely Ohio in it. however, those regions are how the Ballots are distributed, not necessarily proper naming convention

What hurt McCaffery the most is

1. losing to Northwestern
2. having two losses.

That is a good point, Stanford as a team fell out of favour early on in the season.

The two losses hurt them and their perception until they had a very good last month.

Manziel won in a two loss team, but have many other two-loss teams had heisman winners?

NervousXtian

So? Nobody else has beat it.

I'm not all that mad though, Henry deserved it almost equally.. I just think McCaffrey had a really incredible year in a lot of aspects of the game.

Lonestar

Thats how I would usually think of the mid-west, definitely Ohio in it. however, those regions are how the Ballots are distributed, not necessarily proper naming convention

That is a good point, Stanford as a team fell out of favour early on in the season.

The two losses hurt them and their perception until they had a very good last month.

Manziel won in a two loss team, but have many other two-loss teams had heisman winners?

Think Tebow's was a 2-3 loss team.

East Coast bias rears its head. No surprise, but still a shame. McCaffrey plays for Stanford and after everyone else went to bed.

People looking over the stats would weight TDs more than yds I reckon. I know I do.
Doesn't really make sense to, though. The rest of the team can take you the 99 yards and you only have to get the 1. Meh.

Still did it in fewer touches, though, which is a far better metric than number of games.

As far as defenses go, it's a mixed bag. SEC offenses are pretty one-dimensional and similar, so it's easy to have a "top defense" playing against them and the SEC's full cupboard of cupcakes as well.

Pac-12 plays 9 conference games, fewer cupcakes, and far more diverse and potent offenses. Of course defenses have a tougher time.

Draxal

It's not just Stanford, Pac didn't have a great year with USC/Oregon/Asu not playing that well.

cdyhybrid

Football outsiders had us as the #1 defense in the country. Utah was top ten as well.

The fact is that only the Big 12 faces comparable offenses. All you have to do is look at all the Pac-12 players on NFL defenses.

Draxal

Ayup, for the population spread America is alot like Austraila all on the coasts (including Great Lakes as a coastal area). Its also has issues with space as well as the biggest population density area Washington DC - Boston just doesn't really have the space for football fields and the old elite football schools (Army, Ivy League, Fordham) are pretty much don't matter now ... so the population spread doesn't really matter for this. A relatively small state population wise like Miss could have two BCS schools while a big state population wise like NY could have only have one school and less Heisman voters as a result.

Losing against a 3-loss Oregon and narrowly winning against a good, but depleted Notre Dame doesn't really qualify as great month. They went from "lock to win the Pac-12 North" to having a must-win game against Cal after their loss to Oregon.

And obviously, that narrow win against a depleted Notre Dame...

PAC was on fire last year, but it's been a down year this year, between Stanford and Oregon's early woes to USC's coaching drama, Arizonas' complete and utter shittiness and Utah's collapse...

For the life of me, don't understand how USC isn't already back on top of the conference given how good their recruiting has been the past few years.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think Ridley is going to have a huge game. Sparty's secondary isn't good.

Would be nice, Coker and the OL will have to step up. Not expecting him to have much time to throw in this one.

But I haven't watched much of MSU at all, no idea how badly they are going to beat Bama's line.

Top Bottom