• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Come and congratulate Rockman/Mega Man for his 25th birthday

ohlawd

RIP Mega Man.

Mega Man Xtreme 2 is my favorite MM game. Come at me!@!@

That or Mega Man Legends. Which is why news of MML3's cancellation tore a permanent hole in my heart.

Until the Zero series came along, it definitely was right up there with MMIV and V, for me.

I think the only reason I'd personally put Xtreme 2 over any of the Zero games is because Xtreme 2 had a ton of replay value. The Zero games were pretty much superior in every other aspect, though.

One of the best things they did with PU was giving personality to the Robot Masters. Playing with Roll was hilarious. They also did a great job with the free DLC.

Videoneon

RIP Mega Man.

Mega Man Xtreme 2 is my favorite MM game. Come at me!@!@

That or Mega Man Legends. Which is why news of MML3's cancellation tore a permanent hole in my heart.

It was easy, especially with Buster +2 or Saber +2 and air dashing makes bosses cake but it was still fun.

Also, it was the game that gave us the Reploid Research Lavatory (sorry, didn't find a pic and it's a playthrough with commentary.) It also spawned a website.

Of the handheld platformers, it's below ones like Mega Man V, Zero 3, and ZX Advent, the last of which I have a strange fascination for even though I don't think it's amazing. Not counting Powered Up, of course.

Hi! I made that! I'm just gonna post the original source here:

It got posted to themmnetwork. Thanks for the picture!

wait ...what!?

You could unlock Roll!?

Yeah, you had to download her. For a year or so Capcom came out with a costume for her every month. There was MM8 Roll, Rainy Day Roll, Christmas Roll, if I remember. She attacked with the broom, she had insane range and was good.

Obviously I'm a huge Battle Network fan, even though my avatar is an NPC from Star Force. This is certainly the year that I had to revisit some of the older games. I hadn't touched the classic series in over a decade and since this past summer, I've been making efforts to try and beat the games. I'm still on 4 but I want to get through the first 7 at least. Right now, I think 1 and 4 have been the hardest. Dozens and dozens of game overs, but 4 is arguably more fun for me at this point.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Happy birthday old friend! Here's some of my pixel art to commemorate the occasion.

CKGDx.gif

Air Man (Mega Man & Bass CD)

VouXJ.gif

Air Man Ga Taosenai (Reference)

S4CFo.gif
XepqR.gif
fx4VF.gif

Custom Robot Masters (Traffic Man, Gourmet Man, Mettaur Man)

NlhtS.gif
6TDgM.gif
MwiyB.gif

Custom Robot Masters Weapons (Traffic Stop, Gourmet Cooker, Mettaur Cannon)

bBYxM.gif
Qe5cJ.gif

Auto

edgHi.png

To commemmorate Capcpom's slepping errors tihs yeer.

J5ICi.gif

A Sea Of Faces (Custom 1-up sprites for most Robot Masters)

Qg6LB.gif

Casshern Man (With Friender Jet!)

tLGK3.gif

Mega Fortress 2

Busaiku

I never actually owned Mega Man Legends or Mega Man Legends 2.
I only played Mega Man Legends at a friend's house.

That has changed now!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Until the Zero series came along, it definitely was right up there with MMIV and V, for me.

Man, Megaman Zero 2 is so good. Kickass intro as well. If Mega Man ever returns it should return in a badass way like that. Now I sound like a 14 year old but fuck it.

IrishNinja

2 games this gen, an OST collection and a free game about to come out = RIP?

MML3 canceled, Inafune's gone and all but still, that's more than lots of franchises get.

Tizoc

MML3 canceled, Inafune's gone and all but still, that's more than lots of franchises get.

Eh the jury's out on XOver, hopefully it'd get better in future updates.
I still think MML3's gonna be outsourced to another company for it's completion @_@.

Mecha

Happy birthday Megaman, despite me only really being a big EXE/Starforce fan I hope for the best of the entire franchise. I don't believe Megaman is dead, and I really hope one day for a EXE reboot or a new series similar to EXE.

Obviously I'm a huge Battle Network fan, even though my avatar is an NPC from Star Force. This is certainly the year that I had to revisit some of the older games. I hadn't touched the classic series in over a decade and since this past summer, I've been making efforts to try and beat the games. I'm still on 4 but I want to get through the first 7 at least. Right now, I think 1 and 4 have been the hardest. Dozens and dozens of game overs, but 4 is arguably more fun for me at this point.

Are you the same Megarock as the one who does this blog? If so I'm a reader of yours, I don't comment but I refresh every day looking for updates.

1. No real Mega Man games since March 2010, nearly three years ago.

2. Inafune, on leaving Capcom:

4G: Why did you decide to quit? Your statements have been provocative, but you've always spoken as someone from Capcom, wanting to change the company.

KI: Yeah, I want to work at Capcom. But, how should I say... Circumstances are such that I can't work there anymore.

4G: I can easily imagine that there might've been issues with your statements or projects, but were there really such big problems?

KI: What should I say... I'd probably say that Capcom's path as a company has changed. Though my leaving just comes as a result.

3. Inafune, on the Mega Man Legends 3 cancellation:

"The decision for the cancellation was out of my sphere, but as someone who took part in the development, I'd like to convey something to the staff: I'm sorry that I couldn't be of assistance."

Inafune also stated that the Legends staff had such tremendous motivation that they didn't need his help, which makes him even sadder that the game was scrapped. He encouraged them to turn their sad feelings around and strive to make an even better game. To the fans, Inafune showed remorse for not being able to see the project through, saying, ""I'm truly sorry I couldn't take part through the end."

Capcom has changed.

Happy birthday Megaman, despite me only really being a big EXE/Starforce fan I hope for the best of the entire franchise. I don't believe Megaman is dead, and I really hope one day for a EXE reboot or a new series similar to EXE.

Are you the same Megarock as the one who does this blog? If so I'm a reader of yours, I don't comment but I refresh every day looking for updates.

I am, and thanks for reading. You can follow my stream and find videos of me playing the classic games right now. Really would have liked to finish 4 before the 17th, but oh well. It's still a celebration. And this 25th Anniversary is still a moment to celebrate!

Mecha

I am, and thanks for reading. You can follow my stream and find videos of me playing the classic games right now. Really would have liked to finish 4 before the 17th, but oh well. It's still a celebration. And this 25th Anniversary is still a moment to celebrate!

I have visited your channel before but I never have seen you stream. Do you know when your going to stream next so I can drop by?

Tizoc

^If anything, I liked that Capcom used to give another chance to their franchise or game, but sadly even if they were good, they prob. didn't sell well enough.
Irish have you played XOver? How is it as a 'Running' game for the iOS if you don't mind me asking?

1. No real Mega Man games since March 2010, nearly three years ago.
...but what counts as a Real Megaman game?

Happy anniversary Mega Man. It's too bad that the games I enjoy the most seem to be completely dead.

ZX was a lot of fun and I don't know why there isn't another one (especially with the way Advent ended). Battle Network died with the GBA, and I'm not the biggest fan of its replacement, although that may also be dead.

IrishNinja

We've got 3D Land, NSMB 2, and NSMB U in the core Mario series since 2010's Galaxy 2. The two franchises are not even remotely similar in terms of publisher support today.

agreed, but claiming one is dead because it's been a few years since a mainline release doesn't make sense either.

bluemax

Banned
^If it failed then that's prob. due to the low sales of the PSP at the time wouldn't it?

You guys should read the Megaman comic already, it's an excellent companion to the games, and it has Megaman getting character development~

z7N1P.jpg

I would kill for this.

Aeana

There was a time when I called Mega Man my favorite series. Even today, I am a very devout lover of the classic series. But the shift toward Zero and other characters really pushed me away. At least I'll always have the classics.

Ashodin

There was a time when I called Mega Man my favorite series. Even today, I am a very devout lover of the classic series. But the shift toward Zero and other characters really pushed me away. At least I'll always have the classics.

As a Mega Man X fan, this is one of the things that bothered me after the X series. I think the problem is they introduced Zero as the "anti-hero" character and he took off compared to X, who was the usual "unsure hero" character.

I like the unsure hero character. They time and again pull through when it's needed most.

Enk

makes good threads.
Happy Birthday nonexistantrobotdude!

I will always remember your classic sense of charm, gameplay,varied level design, precise controls, and open ended gameplay through the games I make.

::salute::

Happy birthday blue bomber, now it's time to kick some Street Fighter ass. I'll download it now but since it's 2AM I'll wait until the morning to play.

agreed, but claiming one is dead because it's been a few years since a mainline release doesn't make sense either.

I'd say it's less because of the lack of releases and more because of the franchise's treatment. I'm one of those that claims the franchise is dead though.

I also wouldn't mind Takeshi Horinouchi and his team getting a REAL chance to revisit the EXE/Battle Network saga. Operate Shooting Star did NOT count.

Ugh, as a fan of EXE and SSR, OSS was just offensively lazy. Only good thing that came out of it was having a "canon" Rock vs Rock boss battle.

Azure J

As a Mega Man X fan, this is one of the things that bothered me after the X series. I think the problem is they introduced Zero as the "anti-hero" character and he took off compared to X, who was the usual "unsure hero" character.

I like the unsure hero character. They time and again pull through when it's needed most.

Pretty much seconding this. The "problem" per se was that Zero started to become more than just the X Series' Protoman to the derailment of the star character's role in his own series and then went on to become prevalent in 2 series afterwards while leaving X with a "yeah he's cool and all I guess" kind of apathy.

Sblargh

Banned
Mega Man 2 was my first game ever on a brazillian NES knock-off called dynavision.

dynavision-ii.jpg

Now, these controllers are shit. They are not only fragile, they had the worst sensibility ever, I still remember how everything squeaked while you turned the joystick from left to right and megaman is a game that sometimes demands a kind of quick reaction or precise timing that these controllers surely couldn't afford. Also, I was a kid. So it took me years to actually beat the game.

But that gave it a kind of endless quality, I would play it a few times a year, each year, without even having the notion that it would end eventually, especially after I beat the main robots and more stages popped out. It felt like a giant game, not really made to be finished, but just played on forever.

Stark

Banned
Man, Megaman Zero 2 is so good. Kickass intro as well.

Zero 2's ending is my personal favorite, but my favorite game and all-time favorite Megaman game is Zero 3. Everything was so good. :x Would kill for another one in the Zero series. Stay away from ZX.

Also, Falling Down is amazing. MMZ games had probably my favorite music throughout most of the series. Liked Battle Network's as well.

Kazerei

Banned
I guess I'll ask here. Any recommendations regarding the Mega Man Battle Network and Star Force series? I played the first MMBN and loved the battle system. I didn't enjoy some other aspects of the game, though I can't really remember now. Is it worth trying any other games in the series?

JazzmanZ

Happy birthday Megaman, unlike others I don't consider megaman 'dead' and need to put on a ;-; face everytime he's mentioned, now Bomberman thats someone to get sad about.

Noi

RIP Mega Man. I'll be looking forward to the day when you rise from the grave only to get buried again.

Pretty much seconding this. The "problem" per se was that Zero started to become more than just the X Series' Protoman to the derailment of the star character's role in his own series and then went on to become prevalent in 2 series afterwards while leaving X with a "yeah he's cool and all I guess" kind of apathy.

Doesn't help that perception when in MMX7, you had to actually UNLOCK X before you could play as him. Instead you played most of Mega Man X7 as Zero and the new shitty friend. On top of that game's mess of issues, anyway.

SkyOdin

I guess I'll ask here. Any recommendations regarding the Mega Man Battle Network and Star Force series? I played the first MMBN and loved the battle system. I didn't enjoy some other aspects of the game, though I can't really remember now. Is it worth trying any other games in the series?

I haven't played the original Battle Network, but I hear that BN2 (which I did play) improved on the original in a lot of ways. Anyways, I really like the Battle Network and Star Force games. They mix RPG elements, collecting, and really intense action in a very unique and fun way.

Here are my general thoughts on most of the games in the Battle Network/Star Force series:

BN2: All around fun, if you are willing to put up with a couple tedious segments.
BN3: Quite possibly the best in the series. Introduces major gameplay enhancements over 2.
BN4: A really ugly game that feels rushed out the door. Has some good ideas but a lot of problems.
BN5: Quite a few improvements over 4, but not quite up to par.
BN6: Really good.

SF1: An all-around solid game with some great moments. A good starting place if you haven' played any other game.
SF2: A game with some problems. Has its ups and downs. Has some general minor gameplay improvements over 1.
SF3: Another solid game, and improves greatly over the gameplay of SF 1 and 2.

BN 2, 3, and 6, and SF 1 and 3 I can all recommend without reservation. BN 5 and SF 2 I would happily recommend if you are enjoying the other games in the series and want to see the whole story. BN 4 I would only recommend if are really dedicated to the franchise. Probably the best places to start would be Battle Network 2 and Star Force 1, considering that you have already played Battle Network 1. With the Battle Network series though, you can really jump in wherever you want and be brought up to speed just fine. The Star Force series on the other hand has a somewhat stronger emphasis on an over-riding character development arc, so I would recommend playing through them in order.

Kazerei

Banned
I haven't played the original Battle Network, but I hear that BN2 (which I did play) improved on the original in a lot of ways. Anyways, I really like the Battle Network and Star Force games. They mix RPG elements, collecting, and really intense action in a very unique and fun way.

Here are my general thoughts on most of the games in the Battle Network/Star Force series:

BN2: All around fun, if you are willing to put up with a couple tedious segments.
BN3: Quite possibly the best in the series. Introduces major gameplay enhancements over 2.
BN4: A really ugly game that feels rushed out the door. Has some good ideas but a lot of problems.
BN5: Quite a few improvements over 4, but not quite up to par.
BN6: Really good.

SF1: An all-around solid game with some great moments. A good starting place if you haven' played any other game.
SF2: A game with some problems. Has its ups and downs. Has some general minor gameplay improvements over 1.
SF3: Another solid game, and improves greatly over the gameplay of SF 1 and 2.

BN 2, 3, and 6, and SF 1 and 3 I can all recommend without reservation. BN 5 and SF 2 I would happily recommend if you are enjoying the other games in the series and want to see the whole story. BN 4 I would only recommend if are really dedicated to the franchise. Probably the best places to start would be Battle Network 2 and Star Force 1, considering that you have already played Battle Network 1. With the Battle Network series though, you can really jump in wherever you want and be brought up to speed just fine. The Star Force series on the other hand has a somewhat stronger emphasis on an over-riding character development arc, so I would recommend playing through them in order.

Awesome, thanks for the write up! I'll start with the SF1 since I know where to find it, but I'll keep an eye out for the BN 2, 3 and 6.

Top Bottom