• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! #8 / January 2012 - Happy New Year, Comic Book GAF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
$2.99 comic book, 20 pages long, six words total on first four pages

Pages One and Two:

Pictures of dead people

Page Three:

Panels 1-4- Frank and Woman staring at each other

Page Four:

Panels 1-3- Frank and Woman pointing guns at each other
Panels 4-5- Frank and Woman "Blue on Blue"

Seems good enough for me. LUNCH BREAK!

Tizoc

TMNT #6 was pretty good IMO.
This was my fav. part of the issue-
zG1vr.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Alright Comic Book GAF I come to you seeking suggestions. I don't read comics THAT often, and I'm looking for some suggestions. Here are a few of the recent comics that I've read...

Lost At Sea - Brian Lee O'Malley
Same Difference - Derek Kirk Kim
Chew - John Layman/Rob Guillory
Ghost Projekt - Joe Harris/Steve Rolston/Dean Trippe

Definitely would dig something similar to the 1st two listed, but I'd be down for anything sort of similar to all 4 really. IDK if you guys and gals need more info I can try and post more to get better suggestions. Thanks in advance!!

Satch

Banned
Alright Comic Book GAF I come to you seeking suggestions. I don't read comics THAT often, and I'm looking for some suggestions. Here are a few of the recent comics that I've read...

Lost At Sea - Brian Lee O'Malley
Same Difference - Derek Kirk Kim
Chew - John Layman/Rob Guillory
Ghost Projekt - Joe Harris/Steve Rolston/Dean Trippe

Definitely would dig something similar to the 1st two listed, but I'd be down for anything sort of similar to all 4 really. IDK if you guys and gals need more info I can try and post more to get better suggestions. Thanks in advance!!
American Vampire by Scott Snyder
100 Bullets by Brian Azzarello

Are you doing digital comics or going to the shops?

Pages One and Two:

Pictures of dead people

Page Three:

Panels 1-4- Frank and Woman staring at each other

Page Four:

Panels 1-3- Frank and Woman pointing guns at each other
Panels 4-5- Frank and Woman "Blue on Blue"

Seems good enough for me. LUNCH BREAK!

Greg Rucka comics always feel like would work better as novels.

In fact, one time, this was actually true(Batman: No Man's Land novelization >>> the comic book crossover).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
American Vampire by Scott Snyder
100 Bullets by Brian Azzarello

Are you doing digital comics or going to the shops?

Thanks for the recommendations. I've been mostly going to shops as I've yet to get into the tablet game. Though I do read a few online comics likes Derek Kirk Kim's Tune.

Satch

Banned
Thanks for the recommendations. I've been mostly going to shops as I've yet to get into the tablet game. Though I do read a few online comics likes Derek Kirk Kim's Tune.

If you ever feel like trying more digital stuff, you can read them on your PC/laptop through Comixology. I know it's probably not an ideal way to read, but it's something.

To get a feel for it, you can check the Free Comics section.

Whether store or digital, happy reading! :)

TMNT #6 was pretty good IMO.
This was my fav. part of the issue-
zG1vr.jpg

The last two issues have been great. I'm glad I stuck with it.

As someone who hasn't read the older comics did Leo and Donny clash often? I just thought it was odd, since most adaptations focus on the Leo/Raph rivalry. They've really been going at it in the new series though.

kswiston

Just finished Venom 1-12. Waaay darker than I thought it was going to be. Remender just kills characterization. Was his Punisher run worth reading?

I totally ge the love of Simonson but can't for the life of me get into Larsen, either writing or art. I think we are just polar opposites!

If you say so! I think it's just easier for your generation to come late to the game, pick and choose the esteemed works by writers, and have this very crystalized opinion of a limited body of work.

I've been at this for about 31 years assuming I was five when I started monkeying around with my step brothers comics. I know what I like when I see it, and I know what I don't. :\

I forgot about Greg Pak, who I've read very little of thanks to him not having a lot of talented artists to collaborate with; but the stuff I have read I've found to be enjoyable.

That Hickman guy was doing pretty okay on the bits of Fantastic Four I read, but again - shaking up the art teams and just getting some visual stinkers on there. Man, putting Alan Davis covers on those books and then filling them with that terrible art. I got used to the cover bait and switch back in the 90's, but it doesn't prevent my heart from sinking every time I see Art Adams or Alan Davis doing a cover on a book and a bucket of shit for the interiors.

Quitely may be a little lumpy, but his body language and background detail is exquisite, he's better than almost any artist for that IMO.

I'm more of a fan of angular takes on comic characters. Quietly's characters all look like Jeremy Renner, Katie Holmes, and that vampire kid from Twilight. Just not appearances I can stomach. I need more Pierce Brosnan, Jean Reno, and Sofia Vergara. His story telling is solid from the little of his work I could choke down, but he's not the only solid storyteller in the industry; so I'm just going to go elsewhere.

Apart from maybe the late greta Seth Fisher, that guy was a genius.

High falutin' blowhard from the Geoff Darrow school of comic work. Way to throw yourself off a building bro. That's assuming somebody didn't get sick of his gaijin ass and help him get to the ground floor via express.

I found his art intriguing, but he wasn't a favorite.

But if our opposites hold up, you should persevere with the run since Quitely only does about 6 issues and you'll probably love Igor Kordey's work on it :p

No - that run is just oatmeal, vomit, and diarrhea visually. :X

But then again, you do have some good taste, since you like Darwin and Garth so you're not all bad. But really, Morrison could in no way be described as mediocre. Polarising, yes, but he's never been anywhere near the middle of the road in his career!

Morrison has crapped out some stinkers. It's absurd to just blanket everything he shits out with praise, more so it's outright fanatical.

Every writers churns out clunkers. See also, Garth Ennis.

Read Sentry mini-series today. Can't say I like the character any more than I did previously. He's just a fucking turd. Parts of it felt like ground work lifted for Ultimates and World War Hulk (from what I know of the whole Illuminati thing).

Added World War Hulk to the Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited reading list. There are a lot of old runs on there I'm missing, but over all it's still something I enjoy. Buffet style comic reading FTW!

Does anybody know if the Parker Martini Edition hard covers have dust jackets? I couldn't find anything on Amazon or IDW's website regarding it.

lmao! Noooooooo!

I might have to read this just for the giggles...

Do it!

I'm trying to verify it's Morrison since every issue is attributed to a tag team of writers, if this blog is to be believed. . .

Somehow, Grant Morrison got roped into writing a 7-issue run on Vampirella: The New Monthly, probably because Mark Millar couldn't be trusted to write it himself, as often seems to be the case. It's actually pretty entertaining, t&a aside. The trick? Vampirella goes Buffy. There's this Sisterhood of vampire slayers that really know how to rock the Anti-Vatican, and of course, Vampirella joins the order. How good are these chicks?

LOL MARK MILLAR LOL

Thinking about this thread and artists and writers, and how Marvel is just enjoying success by poaching DC's talent I'm trying to cobble together a pool of the next talent Marvel will poach from DC.

My tops so far are:

Ivan Reis (put him on Namor and I'm sold - to hell with Suckquaman, better yet Avengers)
Patrick Gleason
Cliff Chiang

You folks humping the digital revolution and general funnybook fans ought to go listen to Marty Pasko interview on the latest Word Balloon. You need to fast forward 90 minutes to get past the Marvel guy, but there's interesting discussion on the future of comics, how fandom has changed, and how Neal Adams was right.

Time to start reading up on Hollow Earth Theory! :3

Tizoc

The last two issues have been great. I'm glad I stuck with it.

As someone who hasn't read the older comics did Leo and Donny clash often? I just thought it was odd, since most adaptations focus on the Leo/Raph rivalry. They've really been going at it in the new series though.

I don't think so. It's been a long time since I read the original series but I think Don and Leo never argued like that.

tim1138

If you say so! I think it's just easier for your generation to come late to the game, pick and choose the esteemed works by writers, and have this very crystalized opinion of a limited body of work.

I've been at this for about 31 years assuming I was five when I started monkeying around with my step brothers comics. I know what I like when I see it, and I know what I don't. :\

I forgot about Greg Pak, who I've read very little of thanks to him not having a lot of talented artists to collaborate with; but the stuff I have read I've found to be enjoyable.

That Hickman guy was doing pretty okay on the bits of Fantastic Four I read, but again - shaking up the art teams and just getting some visual stinkers on there. Man, putting Alan Davis covers on those books and then filling them with that terrible art. I got used to the cover bait and switch back in the 90's, but it doesn't prevent my heart from sinking every time I see Art Adams or Alan Davis doing a cover on a book and a bucket of shit for the interiors.

I'm more of a fan of angular takes on comic characters. Quietly's characters all look like Jeremy Renner, Katie Holmes, and that vampire kid from Twilight. Just not appearances I can stomach. I need more Pierce Brosnan, Jean Reno, and Sofia Vergara. His story telling is solid from the little of his work I could choke down, but he's not the only solid storyteller in the industry; so I'm just going to go elsewhere.

High falutin' blowhard from the Geoff Darrow school of comic work. Way to throw yourself off a building bro. That's assuming somebody didn't get sick of his gaijin ass and help him get to the ground floor via express.

I found his art intriguing, but he wasn't a favorite.

No - that run is just oatmeal, vomit, and diarrhea visually. :X

Morrison has crapped out some stinkers. It's absurd to just blanket everything he shits out with praise, more so it's outright fanatical.

Every writers churns out clunkers. See also, Garth Ennis.

Read Sentry mini-series today. Can't say I like the character any more than I did previously. He's just a fucking turd. Parts of it felt like ground work lifted for Ultimates and World War Hulk (from what I know of the whole Illuminati thing).

Added World War Hulk to the Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited reading list. There are a lot of old runs on there I'm missing, but over all it's still something I enjoy. Buffet style comic reading FTW!

Does anybody know if the Parker Martini Edition hard covers have dust jackets? I couldn't find anything on Amazon or IDW's website regarding it.

Seriously, don't waste your time with World War Hulk, it was absolutely terrible.

I want a comic written by Grant Morrison and drawn by Rob Liefield. I bet it would be so good that people couldn't even finish it because it gave them a headache.

Mr. Sam

So, tell me, how good was Batman Beyond: Industrial Revolution? I'm a big fan of the animated series and was thinking of picking up the TPB.

Found the gist of Peter David's article online:

Steve the Spider-Man fan

I’m probably going to expand upon this in “But I Digress”, but…

I was at a playground yesterday with Caroline. There was a little boy there, seven years old, named Steven. He was talking to other kids about Spider-Man, and what a big Spider-Man fan he was. He was showing off his Spidey sneakers very proudly.

And I said to him, “Do you read Spider-Man comics?”

He looked at me oddly and said, “No.”

“Why not?”

“I watch the movies,” he said. “And I play the video game. I beat Doc Ock,” he added proudly.

“Okay, but…Spider-Man’s a comic book character. Aren’t you at all interested in reading the comic?”

He shook his head. His ten year old brother said, “Why should he?”

I said, “Well, because you keep watching the movies, it’s the same story. What about new adventures, new stories about Spider-Man?”

The big brother shrugged and said, “He watches the cartoon.”

“I watch the cartoon,” Steve echoed. “And the movies. And play the game. I’m a Spider-Man fan!”

Spidey’s biggest fan…except for, y’know, the whole comic book thing. That he really doesn’t care about.

And why should he? How many have you, in the past five years, have seen a James Bond movie or played the video game? Now…how many of you have read a James Bond book? Seen a Sherlock Holmes film or a repeat of the Jeremy Brett TV series? As opposed to reading Conan Doyle or any of the many pastiches?

Comics used to be the only venue for following the adventures of iconic heroes, just as books were once the only means of keeping up with literary heroes. And now the heros’ popularity has outstripped any need for literature…or readers.

And you wonder why comics are hemorrhaging readers.

PAD

LOL

Now I cry, this was written seven years ago. D:

Tizoc

Are the Mass Effect comics worth reading?

I'm a longtime ninja turtle fan and the first time I read a ninja turtle comic in my life was 2 days ago

There' a TPB that collects the first 10-15 issues of the original comic; you def. should try to find and read it.

The new series is good too, so keep on reading it. It might be a little slow but as I said it's good.

The only video game comic worth reading is the Street Fighter/Capcom comics, because they have quality talent working for them and actually CARE about the nerdy game canon.

Oh god no.

Udung is the Deviant Art comic company.

None of the talent matches Capcom quality illustration, the artwork is generally poor and covered up with tons of whiz-bang visual FX in Photoshop, and the visual story telling is shit.

They're also really good at the bait and switch, put the rare Udung talent on covers - and interiors done by some Deviant Art reject.

It's worth noting that artists of actual talent have since left Udung or represent themselves at their own crowded tables at conventions while the Udung table is a desolate ghost town.

tumbleweeds.jpg

LOL Talent.

Raise your standard Captard GAF.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Are the Mass Effect comics worth reading?

Yes and no. I thought the first miniseries that introduced Cerberus was pretty dull, but the second one about the illusive man is a decent space adventure with surprisingly good art. I got it really cheaply from Dark Horse's digital store and I think I got my money's worth. It's not going to set the world on fire but it's a good Mass Effect story. I prefer the novels though.

The only video game comic worth reading is the Street Fighter/Capcom comics, because they have quality talent working for them and actually CARE about the nerdy game canon.

I really like the Halo comics they've done for the most part too. Bendis and Maleev on Uprising were good and the art was fantastic. It was a little bit inconsequential but it was still a good read.

There was Helljumpers which was about the ODST crew. That had some shitty art but was a good little story behind it, and I love those characters. Bloodlines was really good though, it was about Spartan Black team who had a story in Evolutions and had really good art, the dude could draw the shit out of a Spartan and a really good story too.

Marvel are currently adapting Fall of Reach too and tbh it's a bit shoddy. The release schedule is pathetic and at this rate it won't be finish until 2014 or something. The art is genuinely terrible too, I have no idea why it's taking so long. It takes 'sketchy' and runs with it, do the point where characters are just angular squiggles and it is very hard to read at times. The story is a faithful adaptation though, but it's not really worth stuggling through the art to get to it.

Tizoc

So the ME comic about the Illusive Man? THanks will check it out.

...and IMO the best video game comic series are the Megaman and Sonic comics (Mainly anything Ian Flynn wrote)

So the ME comic about the Illusive Man? THanks will check it out.

...and IMO the best video game comic series are the Megaman and Sonic comics (Mainly anything Ian Flynn wrote)

Megaman is solid, but I really hope they can bring the character through his hero journey and he comes out accepting his duty. Now you feel really bad for the little blue bastard.

Working on February OT - BE READY TO ALWAYS BET ON BLACK!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So this is one of the rare Sundays that I may not have to go into work, and I feel like watching a movie. Any good superhero movies you guys suggest? I watched Thor a few weeks ago - thought it was pretty good. I've also enjoyed most of the X-Men movies. I was thinking Captain America? Is that any good? What about Fantastic Four?

Because Hollywood makes great comic book movies, right?

No thanks. I'd prefer Goon stay on paper.

A Goon short in front of Dark Horse licensed movies would be pretty great.

Say when Guillermo del Toro gives us the Hellboy 3 he teased. :3

So this is one of the rare Sundays that I may not have to go into work, and I feel like watching a movie. Any good superhero movies you guys suggest? I watched Thor a few weeks ago - thought it was pretty good. I've also enjoyed most of the X-Men movies. I was thinking Captain America? Is that any good? What about Fantastic Four?

Superman 1&2 like a motherfucker!
Captain America
Blade 2
X-Men First Class
Punisher Warzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom