• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! May |OT| Round 2! FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a month free access to the marvel digital site and didn't read one issue. I tried, but I just can't sit and read online. Get distracted too easily and I don't like having to shift around to see the whole page.

Could you have used it on ipad/tablet?

EDIT: since it's a new page i'm gonna recommend

250px-The_Pro_TPB_cover.jpg

Hardcover of the one shot came out today

Great stuff from Ennis with Amanda Connor art!

Owzers

The Pro is also getting reprinted by Image as a one-shot for $7.99 regular price ( $4.79 for dcbs...pros) in July.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Read the free issue of Chew on my iPad. DEFINITELY am going to pick it up, just need to see what the price would be for physical.

Man, I got loaded up today.

Marvel Comics:
Amazing Spider-Man: Parallel Lives
Avenging Spider-Man #7
The Punisher #11
Uncanny X-Force #25
Wolverine #306
Wolverine and the X-Men #10
X-Men Legacy #266

DC Comics
Batman #9
Demon Knights #9
Superman Family Adventures FCBD Edition

Other Publishers
Dejah Thoris and the White Apes of Mars #2 (Dynamite)
Fatale #5 (Image)
Lord of the Jungle #4 (Dynamite)

Got a lot of reading to do this weekend. Oh, and one other thing...

UnQwm.jpg

MAR120577 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN PARALLEL LIVES #1 $4.99

If you see this one on the shelf, and you have any love for Pete and MJ at all, do yourself a favor and BUY IT. Originally published in the late 80s, 'Parallel Lives' is a Spider-Man love story classic in every sense of the word, done in the Mighty Marvel manner by the team of Gerry Conway, Alex Saviuk and Andy Mushynsky. A great underrated story that's full of emotion and insights into the couple's lives before they said "I do", and one that hasn't been reprinted before to my knowledge. And now, it's only $4.99 at a whopping 64 pages (no ads!).

Has anyone gotten the Rachel Rising trade? I pre-ordered on amazon in February and it's been out of stock since the release date. I just ordered it from cheapgraphicnovels, but when I ordered from them before, they emailed me 2 weeks later that something I'd ordered was out of stock, so I don't want to cancel my amazon order just yet. I don't want to end up with 2 either.

Is this book around and amazon just overlooked it, or did they not print enough to meet the demand?

I picked up AvX not knowing its just fan service battles. I was fooled. What are the best AvX books out there anywho? I just read the X-Men ones.

Owzers

I picked up AvX not knowing its just fan service battles. I was fooled. What are the best AvX books out there anywho? I just read the X-Men ones.

I liked the first tie-in issues i read from Secret Avengers and Wolverine and the X-Men. I liked AvX #1 somewhat, #2 not at all.

Has anyone gotten the Rachel Rising trade? I pre-ordered on amazon in February and it's been out of stock since the release date. I just ordered it from cheapgraphicnovels, but when I ordered from them before, they emailed me 2 weeks later that something I'd ordered was out of stock, so I don't want to cancel my amazon order just yet. I don't want to end up with 2 either.

Is this book around and amazon just overlooked it, or did they not print enough to meet the demand?

I was going to but I keep flip flopping between getting it digital or the trade...I still can't decide

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't expect to find myself back on this forum, but I literally just 2 minutes ago got back from watching The Avengers, and damn... I want to read comics again. Damn you Marvel!

Got a shit ton to catch up on I assume; last I remember I had just started the new Remender Secret Avengers run and Batman was on issue #6. Time to get cracking!

Garryk

I didn't expect to find myself back on this forum, but I literally just 2 minutes ago got back from watching The Avengers, and damn... I want to read comics again. Damn you Marvel!

Got a shit ton to catch up on I assume; last I remember I had just started the new Remender Secret Avengers run and Batman was on issue #6. Time to get cracking!
I was already back into comics, but I know the feeling. Ordered the Brubaker Cap omni after I saw the movie.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think the crime on Marvel's part is that outside of the Ultimates there simply aren't any good Avengers stories that aren't 20+ years old (and therefore not reflective of the cutting edge of comics) or tied into Bendis' massive multi-year boring epic. They should have had a vanilla Avengers book with the movie cast out for over a year now, in order to have a good trade to point new readers towards.

Even though Johns' Justice League is terribad, at least it's something self-contained that new readers can be pointed towards (although Morrison's run is way better in every regard).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think the crime on Marvel's part is that outside of the Ultimates there simply aren't any good Avengers stories that aren't 20+ years old (and therefore not reflective of the cutting edge of comics) or tied into Bendis' massive multi-year boring epic. They should have had a vanilla Avengers book with the movie cast out for over a year now, in order to have a good trade to point new readers towards.

Even though Johns' Justice League is terribad, at least it's something self-contained that new readers can be pointed towards (although Morrison's run is way better in every regard).

I love this word. I've been using it for years, and nobody ever understood. <3

Chew sale on Comixology ends tonight. If I buy them on my iPad, will I need internet connection to read them later? I want to be able to bring it with me when I travel, but without Wifi (and I can't tether my 4S without paying lolol), I don't want to be SOL. $25 for all 25 issues is pretty awesome, but being screwed because of lack of internet would turn me away.

Owzers

I blame everything on Bendis, the man writes completely forgettable stories and event tie-ins to events that are hard to recommend to begin with. Get him off the book asap, the thought that Avengers Assemble, his THIRD ongoing avengers book, is what people are supposed to read after liking the movie is depressing.

Try reading your issue of Chew #1 you got for free offline, i thought there was a way to read them offline if you switch to offline mode....or something.

the chris

I blame everything on Bendis, the man writes completely forgettable stories and event tie-ins to events that are hard to recommend to begin with. Get him off the book asap, the thought that Avengers Assemble, his THIRD ongoing avengers book, is what people are supposed to read after liking the movie is depressing.

The funny thing about Bendis is that he does great with street level characters like Daredevil, Moon Knight, Luke Cage and Ultimate Spider-Man. He is totally wrong for the Avengers though, every character seems to speak with the same voice and he insists on trying to push characters who are just boring(Spider-Woman.) I honestly can't think of a single moment from Bendis' run on the Avengers that was awe-inspiring or memorable, which is what the Avengers are supposed to be. Here is a great example from Busiek's run.

xha2e.png

This panel consists of the Avengers confronting the main Ultron after beating an army of copies and thought dead.

I love this word. I've been using it for years, and nobody ever understood. <3

Chew sale on Comixology ends tonight. If I buy them on my iPad, will I need internet connection to read them later? I want to be able to bring it with me when I travel, but without Wifi (and I can't tether my 4S without paying lolol), I don't want to be SOL. $25 for all 25 issues is pretty awesome, but being screwed because of lack of internet would turn me away.

I'm pretty sure you can read them while offline, so long as you actually download the issues and not just buy them

Jeff Parker Spits Hot Fire
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/the-q-creators-on-comic-book-lawsuits.html

I never had much hope ownership status would change with those any more than they did in the creators' lifetimes. What I didn't expect was how big the voice would be among fans that they value imaginary characters over real people. I'm really hoping it's that effect of the Internet skewing towards the loud few. But it's a barrage of high-horse ugliness, judging creators of beloved works and showing no empathy- calling their heirs greedy. Out of some irrational fear that a hero or villain might be lost to the readership or turn up with an unfamiliar publishing house.

Which is weird- it's not like a creator's survivors are less qualified to manage an intellectual property than some board of executives, and they would almost certainly license the use of the characters. The Burroughs estate has always been a formidable force that kept Tarzan and John Carter from turning into something they weren't by licensees.

I want us working more like traditional publishing. All comics’ publishers have heavily pushed their own identity in a way that the rest of the book world doesn't, because in our distribution system that's the key to health for them. And probably because it's fun to think of them as teams, a big chunk of readership has embraced this. But are people reading Hunger Games concerning themselves with Scholastic and hoping Suzanne Collins doesn't get too much control? Are they getting fired up about Bantam Books because of Game of Thrones, or do they want more George R.R. Martin?

It's not for my (admittedly, giant) ego that I want you to think of my name and role along with characters or books I create, but because I'd like those creations to help provide for my family. That's what most all the creators of your favorite books wanted. Do you want your life's work to not count towards your loved ones? I'm only asking readers to make it clear that they value the people behind the characters, and discuss them often. We're in a Tumblr age where creations are spread around stripped of credits, let's not lose what ground we've gained by emulating that.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Try reading your issue of Chew #1 you got for free offline, i thought there was a way to read them offline if you switch to offline mode....or something.

Not sure why I didn't think of this before. I'll check it over lunch, thanks!

@WascallyWabbit I'll double check this as well when I try offline mode.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
For what it's worth:

I wrote:

I'm interested in buying a few comics to keep on my iPad (Chew in particular!), but I don't always have online connectivity. I'll be going on a trip in a few weeks and wanted to stock up on some reading. Will I be able to view the issues I buy on my iPad even without a connection, or am I limited to viewing only with an internet connection?

comiXology Support replied:
Hi!

Once books have been downloaded using an internet connection, you can read offline.
Thanks,

-Mandy

Owzers

I read comics on my touchpad...which doesn't have an app...which means i can never read them offline Xo.

One day i'll buy an android/ios tablet....one day. So expensive!

Blader

If Hickman truly is taking over Avengers from Bendis, it'll be the first time in years that I start reading that book again.

It should be Remender, brah is the only guy at Marvel I would buy a four dollar book from. Plus he has great character interaction and he knows how write TIE-INS.

parrotbeak said:

I was going to but I keep flip flopping between getting it digital or the trade...I still can't decide
cheapgraphicnovels emailed me that Rachel Rising is out of stock until later in May. I guess I'll just leave my amazon order since it has free shipping.

Locke & Key Vol 2 tpb is also apparently out of print. Guess I need to buy the hardcover.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
any great high fantasy comics? i read the recent 15 issue dungeons & dragons comic from idw and absolutely loved it. such a shame it got canned. anything else similar to this?

Chew sale on Comixology ends tomorrow. For $25, you can get the first 5 collections. Worth it or find in print?

as much as i want everyone to read Chew (and you can't beat $25 bucks for 25 issues) - this is one series i'll be buying tpbs or hardcovers for. it's only supposed to run 60 issues total and assuming the second half is as good as the first, this'll be one for the ages.

Locke & Key Vol 2 tpb is also apparently out of print. Guess I need to buy the hardcover.

damn, that sucks. probably worth going the HC route for this one, though. only 6 volumes when all is said and done and it's pretty much god-tier so far.

damn, that sucks. probably worth going the HC route for this one, though. only 6 volumes when all is said and done and it's pretty much god-tier so far.
Oh, I didn't realize it was only going to be 6. Ya, I just ordered 1, 3 and, 4, so I pretty much have to get the #2 hc. I wonder why that one went OOP but the others are still around.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
When was it cancelled? They have DnD Forgotten Realms coming.

Believe it or not, DC's Demon Knights is a DnD-esque book.

And then Dynamite has a Pathfinder comic coming soon. :)
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36246

IDW said Forgotten Realms will be the only DnD comic they have going forward. Thanks for the suggestions.

Oh, I didn't realize it was only going to be 6. Ya, I just ordered 1, 3 and, 4, so I pretty much have to get the #2 hc. I wonder why that one went OOP but the others are still around.

so annoying but that shit happens all the time. my eyeshield 21 collection is on permanent hold after issue 8 or 9 because of a random OOP book.

you're gonna love the series, though... incredible stuff.

IDW said Forgotten Realms will be the only DnD comic they have going forward. Thanks for the suggestions.

John Rogers tweeted:

John Rogers &#8207; @jonrog1

@theisb @JamieLovett D&D comic rests while our #IDW friends launch other D&D branded books, to avoid cannibalizing each others sales.

Also not official but from the IDW forums:

Okay, I've got word back from up high and the word is "don't worry". Nothing official as yet, but I think it's safe to assume we can expect the D&D comic back some time in the future. Phew.

Owzers

When was it cancelled? They have DnD Forgotten Realms coming.

Believe it or not, DC's Demon Knights is a DnD-esque book.

And then Dynamite has a Pathfinder comic coming soon. :)
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36246

Demon Knights seconded.

Demon_Knights_Vol_1_2_Textless.jpg

First trade collects the whole first seven issue story arc...or single issues/digital. First arc was a little slow in terms of plot progression, but it was good and i'm looking forward to the next arc.

Can't believe Captain America got fooled by Cyclop's white flag ploy. everyone looked like a fool "So...I guess we should leave now."

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Demon Knights seconded.

http://images.wikia.com/marvel_dc/images/b/b4/Demon_Knights_Vol_1_2_Textless.jpg[IMG]

First trade collects the whole first seven issue story arc...or single issues/digital. First arc was a little slow in terms of plot progression, but it was good and i'm looking forward to the next arc.[/QUOTE]

Thirded! Demon Knights is my secret favorite New 52 book! That first arc wasn't slow, it was measured! That first arc was long but they managed to fit in some primers on the backstories of like 4 or 5 out of the 7 characters all while building up a foreboding siege, adding betrayal and intrigue, dragosaurs, sorcery and some of the best art in all of comics in 2011.

That book's in the hands of god damned professionals and everybody needs to read it!

Edit:
[quote="jon bones, post: 37749393"]any great high fantasy comics?[/QUOTE]
I wanted to add that while it's more comical fantasy than straight high fantasy, more people need to check out [url=http://www.skullkickers.com/previews/]SKULLKICKERS[/url]. I never heard of it until I saw a review for one of its issues on ComicVine so I went and checked out the first trade and it was GREAT! Second trade actually managed to be better. There's really good (if a bit Asian styled for my tastes) art and it's legitimately funny. It has some of the best onomatopoeia you'll see in comics.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Avengers vs X-Men's sloppy terribleness was okay for one inspired issue of WatXM but the second fucks with the status quo way too much for my liking. So pretty much all of Wolvie's side from Schism jump to Cyclops' retarded tune of "maybe the destructive firebird is the solution!"

I sincerely hope its not and Summers starts to get whats coming to him.

Scarlet Spider continues to be awesome. I hope it is doing okay...

Thirded! Demon Knights is my secret favorite New 52 book! That first arc wasn't slow, it was measured! That first arc was long but they managed to fit in some primers on the backstories of like 4 or 5 out of the 7 characters all while building up a foreboding siege, adding betrayal and intrigue, dragosaurs, sorcery and some of the best art in all of comics in 2011.

That book's in the hands of god damned professionals and everybody needs to read it!

Edit:

I wanted to add that while it's more comical fantasy than straight high fantasy, more people need to check out SKULLKICKERS. I never heard of it until I saw a review for one of its issues on ComicVine so I went and checked out the first trade and it was GREAT! Second trade actually managed to be better. There's really good (if a bit Asian styled for my tastes) art and it's legitimately funny. It has some of the best onomatopoeia you'll see in comics.

Dammit now I will have to check out Demon Knights, every time I come into this thread I write down a new comic to check out. My back log is starting to grow...

3 separate amazon orders wound up all arriving today, for 5 books total:
Sandman V9
Animal Man: The Hunt
SHIELD: Architects of Forever
The Unwritten V4
Batman Year One

I'm so bad at spending money responsibly.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Man, I should have really jumped ship on WatXM weeks ago. I was promised AvX wouldn't fuck with it, and here it is now, fucked. AvX is finally starting to give me the Marvel Blues and I'm starting to see what comic fans bitch about. There's so many books, the majority of them are four bucks and so few of them are essential reading. It's hard to just be all like "fuck Marvel!" cause they are still putting out most of my favorite books but they really have a knack for pissing all over their fans and I'm finally starting to see it first hand.

I jumped off the Marvel train this month. If your gonna fucking double ship at least have the books be three bucks. Their four dollars a book and double shipping seems like a last grasp on their fans. I chose DC and Image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom