• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! May |OT| Round 2! FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bull

He's got that Ultron thing post-AvX right? Before he leaves? I'd love to see a return to that style of the first Avengers storyline (when they relaunched the core title). That was amazingly insane.

492px-Avengers_Vol_4_1.jpg

Is that the storyline you're talking about? I bought it when it was on sale this past weekend but didn't know if it was any good. I was interested because it has the Maestro in it.

Duress

So all 5 volumes of Chew are on sale at Comixology. I'm tempted but I could use some opinions on the series so far.

The first two Heroic Age arcs were so fun. Wish Fear Itself never showed up and ruined that momentum. I haven't really enjoyed any Avengers titles since.

492px-Avengers_Vol_4_1.jpg

Is that the storyline you're talking about? I bought it when it was on sale this past weekend but didn't know if it was any good. I was interested because it has the Maestro in it.

That's the one! It is way good and way fun. Maybe Bendis' funnest mainstream work.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
So all 5 volumes of Chew are on sale at Comixology. I'm tempted but I could use some opinions on the series so far.

Really top notch stuff. One of my favorite comics out right now. Funny, charming and really engaging.

I would love a TV adaptation with these guys in it:

500x_custom_1269735012190_picture_50_01.jpg

Some morning news:

Marvel announces "exclusive" partnership with ComiXology for its digital comic offerings.

It's not like ComiXology wasn't pretty much the only game in town already, but this sort of cements that status. Still, I can't help but think of the last time comics publishers starting going "all eggs in one basket" for their avenues of distribution, and how well that's turned out...

DC Comics reveals Earth-2 Hawkgirl on upcoming 'Earth 2' #4 cover.

Okay, I have to ask... WHAT THE F*CK is up with everyone and their uncle going John Woo these days in the DCnU? "A mace? Naw, that's too old-fashioned and phallic. Just give her a pair of guns; now, that's modern and edgy!"

Some morning news:

Marvel announces "exclusive" partnership with ComiXology for its digital comic offerings.

It's not like ComiXology wasn't pretty much the only game in town already, but this sort of cements that status. Still, I can't help but think of the last time comics publishers starting going "all eggs in one basket" for their avenues of distribution, and how well that's turned out...

DC Comics reveals Earth-2 Hawkgirl on upcoming 'Earth 2' #4 cover.

Okay, I have to ask... WHAT THE F*CK is up with everyone and their uncle going John Woo these days in the DCnU? "A mace? Naw, that's too old-fashioned and phallic. Just give her a pair of guns; now, that's modern and edgy!"

Actually flying around and shooting guns is pretty bad ass. I'm actually interested.

Maybe it's an attempt to give her a more independent identity? I can't imagine someone completely unfamiliar with the character realizing she's just the female version of hawkman by looking at her. Hell, I would have never guessed except for he being the only DC chick with wings I can think of.

edit: Also, I'm interested. I need to add that book to my pull list this week.

Some morning news:

Eh, why does it matter? It's not even the regular DCnU!

And who else in the DCnU has guns?

Also, if you had wings and could fly, why would you have a weapon that negated the advantage of range?

Edit: I mean, who else in the DCnU has guns that didn't before?

Quake1028

Another huge week for me, and a bad week for my wallet.

WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN #10
WOLVERINE #306
THE PUNISHER #11
HULK #51
AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #7
HULK SMASH AVENGERS #2
NEW AVENGERS #26
X-MEN LEGACY #266
BATGIRL #9
BATMAN #9
BATMAN AND ROBIN #9
GREEN LANTERN #9
INVINCIBLE #91

Eh, why does it matter? It's not even the regular DCnU!

And who else in the DCnU has guns?

Also, if you had wings and could fly, why would you have a weapon that negated the advantage of range?

Edit: I mean, who else in the DCnU has guns that didn't before?

wonder woman borrowed eros' guns.

So no one's talking about the big DC news from their Free Comic Book Day book which sets up the company's next big event.

Looks like we see the origins of DCnU's Phantom Stranger and Question along with Pandora in front of the council of Shazam. Later, the book jumps to some Earth 1/2 crossover looking stuff in a big spread including the Atom, Vibe(?!), Black Adam, a non-Hal Green Lantern and a bunch more...

And here's a link to a big, spoiler-y gatefold from the issue.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm probably the only one who has any care for them, but I should be getting my order in of Mega Man Vol 2 issues 9-13. I was behind, but now I'm finally all caught up.

I need to start going to the comic book shop nearby and checking things out. I want to get into reading SOMETHING, but I can't imagine starting half-way through a series without getting frustrated that I'm missing out on issues 1-100 or something.

jon bones

I'm probably the only one who has any care for them, but I should be getting my order in of Mega Man Vol 2 issues 9-13. I was behind, but now I'm finally all caught up.

I need to start going to the comic book shop nearby and checking things out. I want to get into reading SOMETHING, but I can't imagine starting half-way through a series without getting frustrated that I'm missing out on issues 1-100 or something.

awesome! glad to hear someone else is enjoying Mega Man.

go flip through some America Vampire, Chew and Locke & Key. i think all 3 are on point.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
So no one's talking about the big DC news from their Free Comic Book Day book which sets up the company's next big event.

Looks like we see the origins of DCnU's Phantom Stranger and Question along with Pandora in front of the council of Shazam. Later, the book jumps to some Earth 1/2 crossover looking stuff in a big spread including the Atom, Vibe(?!), Black Adam, a non-Hal Green Lantern and a bunch more...

And here's a link to a big, spoiler-y gatefold from the issue.

i feel like ive seen
a female metamorpho
before. has that happened?

The Flash annual coming out in August looks great. These brahs are fucking killing it, with two artists everything is so dynamic and vivacious.

Actually flying around and shooting guns is pretty bad ass. I'm actually interested.
It reminds me of being thirteen and angst-filled and thinking the coolest superheroine ever should have big guns, big "guns", angel wings, a black trenchcoat and sunglasses.

Substitute "trenchcoat" with "bare midriff" and she's practically there! >:p

It reminds me of being thirteen and angst-filled and thinking the coolest superheroine ever should have big guns, big "guns", angel wings, a black trenchcoat and sunglasses.

Substitute "trenchcoat" with "bare midriff" and she's practically there! >:p

But event books that consist of just hero on hero fights are mature.

jon bones

After a bit of Google hunting, these two sound great. I'll take a look tonight - thanks!

Dude you are going to LOVE them. You get a funny, light hearted romp with Chew and this beautifully dark horror yarn with Locke & Key. Man, I love comic books.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Dude you are going to LOVE them. You get a funny, light hearted romp with Chew and this beautifully dark horror yarn with Locke & Key. Man, I love comic books.

Excited! My fiancee and I are going to run errands after dinner, and I'm going to hit up the local comic shop. Any other suggestions?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Ugh, I've been on the hunt for Mark Waid - Daredevil back issues. This is a bitch. Anyone want to get rid of theirs?

Owzers

Excited! My fiancee and I are going to run errands after dinner, and I'm going to hit up the local comic shop. Any other suggestions?

I'm tossing my vote behind Umbrella Academy. Two trades comprising two stories. Bizarrely fun.

14482.jpg

or Nextwave, which is a whacky/fun/action book from Warren Ellis and Immonen. It is the "funnest" book i have ever read. There is an Ultimate Collection tpb collecting the whole 12 issue run.

dropbears2.JPG

Or for monthly issues there are a few books that just started, namely Saga and Mind the Gap from Image Comics.

saga_comic_book_cover_a_p.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Umbrella Academy and Saga were both unavailable. Chew and Locke & Key were there, but they didn't have volume 1. Ugh.

I DID, however, pickup a few other things from Half Price Books.

For my comedic relief, I picked up The Comic Book Holocaust. It reminds me Bad Art Collection, which I enjoyed.

They had something called Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse for $5, so I said why not. For $1 a piece, they had House of Secrets: Facade Vol 1 and 2. Why not...$2? And finally, for $10, the hardcover edition of The Surrogates Owner's Manual.

I'm excited to read these as my first dive into comics!

Any suggestions for weird/paranormal like stuff?

Owzers

Umbrella Academy and Saga were both unavailable. Chew and Locke & Key were there, but they didn't have volume 1. Ugh.

For my comedic relief, I picked up The Comic Book Holocaust. It reminds me Bad Art Collection, which I enjoyed.

They had something called Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse for $5, so I said why not. For $1 a piece, they had House of Secrets: Facade Vol 1 and 2. Why not...$2? And finally, for $10, the hardcover edition of The Surrogates Owner's Manual.

First thing that came to mind:
12743.jpg

Locke and Key also fits that label well. Also, Hoax Hunters #1 is coming out in July, it's a bout a team that tracks down paranormal activity and tries to cover it up.

They had something called Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse for $5, so I said why not.
I bought that on clearance from B&N but haven't read it yet. Been on my shelf for a year or so.

There are a few new titles that I'm enjoying. Links go to previews.

Secret - Jonathan Hickman. Not paranormal, but I enjoyed #1 and the series just started.

Whispers - Luna Brothers, is definitely leaning paranormal at this point. It's on #3 and I think it's going to be 6 issues total?

Smoke and Mirrors - it's set in a world where technology uses magic. Pretty good first issue.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Suggestions are all really good, thanks! I'm going to hunt down Secret for sure. Looks sort of fucked up (in a good way). Batwoman could be good, too.

Question for all of you on these - do you ever order online or just go to your local shop? Some of these look tough to find, haha.

Suggestions are all really good, thanks! I'm going to hunt down Secret for sure. Looks sort of fucked up (in a good way). Batwoman could be good, too.

Question for all of you on these - do you ever order online or just go to your local shop? Some of these look tough to find, haha.

Without Busiek's Secret Identity in your life, it's just a long, played out failure. Choose wisely.

For trade collections I buy online, but for single issues I go to my local shop. Back issues can be hard to find depending on the comic. The last Orc Stain and Saga #1 were gone by the time I got to the shop the night of release. I would guess my shop still has Secret though.

And most companies will issue reprints, especially when the new issues come out. So even if your shop is out of Secret #1, I'd expect to see it reissued with a different cover when #2 comes out. Same with Saga.

If you like something and want to make sure you get every issue, it's good to subscribe via your shop.

Owzers

There are only really two Superman books out of everything that i'd actively recommend, both that i consider "special": Secret Identity and All Star Superman. Apart from that is Johns' run on Action Comics but it's not really stand-out material, just something i really enjoyed.

I think Secret Identity is out of print though, DC put out a DC Presents Secret Identity vol 1 and 2, but those will be hard to find as well. DC's reprinting it, but amazon says not until april 2013. It's kind of ridiculous that they let this book out of print for so long....and where's the deluxe edition OHC?

On the other question, I pre-order all my single issues and some trades through dcbservice.com. You basically pre-order books 3 months in advance and get a 40% discount along with some half off specials. Then for trades it's a mix of dcbs/used/amazon.

Oh it's not your typical Superman story. I think ComicGAF will back me up on this.

It's a trade I give to non-comics readers as an example of what's possible.

Yep. I give stuff like this and Y: The Last Man out to non-comic book readers to get them hooked. It's very, very good.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

It's a shame to say it, but that is why I gave up on comic shops. If you know what you want when you walk into a shop, there's a fair chance that they're not going to have it. Unless it's a massive shop, they're not going to have the full stocks that places like Amazon have.

Hopefully you enjoy what you bought though!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Without Busiek's Secret Identity in your life, it's just a long, played out failure. Choose wisely.

This is controversial, but I read Secret Identity a few months back and it bored the shit out of me. It has this really glacial pace and is mostly super predictable. The art is OK but far too photoreferenced, and the story never seems to take off and do anything. Even now, I can't remember how it ended and it should be fresh in my mind. Really let down by it, especially after hearing how good it was for years.

This is controversial, but I read Secret Identity a few months back and it bored the shit out of me. It has this really glacial pace and is mostly super predictable. The art is OK but far too photoreferenced, and the story never seems to take off and do anything. Even now, I can't remember how it ended and it should be fresh in my mind. Really let down by it, especially after hearing how good it was for years.

Don't really know what to say to you as I consider it one of the very best runs comics has to offer. Sort of like when people criticize Blade Runner. All I can do is ::blink::

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom