• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! May |OT| Round 2! FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazunta

I apologize if this has already been posted here, but thought it would be of interest to some of us:

Dave Sim wants to do an electronic version of Cerebus: High Society, with high resolution scans of all the pages AND him doing all the voices!

It's up on KickStarter now - and within 24 hours it's already been fully funded. So now they're looking at pushing the funding to a point where they'll do the ENTIRE Cerebus run - all 6,000 pages of it.

$15 gets you the digital download of High Society, but there's a ton of neat swag on offer if you pledge more.

kswiston

Ending was great. Those kids are some of the funniest characters in comics right now

Do we know if Hickman has anything major planned for his last 6(?) months? He has been doing a lot of one-off issues, but between the Franklin moments in this and the ending for FF 16 it feels like he is still setting events up.

tm24

Do we know if Hickman has anything major planned for his last 6(?) months? He has been doing a lot of one-off issues, but between the Franklin moments in this and the ending for FF 16 it feels like he is still setting events up.

I have a feeling he's setting something up for the next writer. So i doubt we'll see his run end with a bang

the chris

The one thing that we haven't seen in a couple of months is what Doom is up to, last we saw him he had all the lobotomized alternate dimension Dooms and an Infinity Gauntlet.

Amazing how quickly the quality of Wolverine and the X-Men has fallen since AvX started.

Agreed, the title has felt less fun ever since the whole event started.

kswiston

The one thing that we haven't seen in a couple of months is what Doom is up to, last we saw him he had all the lobotomized alternate dimension Dooms and an Infinity Gauntlet.

Speaking of Doom:
Way back in the beginning of Hickman's run, the bearded, infinity gauntlet Reed said he had a little piece of Doom within him. It was awesome to read Fantastic Four 505.1 and see that he literally took a piece of Doom's brain and merged it with his own. I love little payoffs like that.

I am debating dropping the FF books when Hickman leaves, regardless of who they get to take his place. I can't really see anyone living up to this run. As much as I enjoyed Waid's Fantastic Four, this is probably the best run the book has had since John Byrne.

If I hear amazing things about the new writer a couple of months down the road, maybe I will pick the title up again, but its hard to imagine that whatever follows won't be a disappointment.

tm24

Speaking of Doom:
Way back in the beginning of Hickman's run, the bearded, infinity gauntlet Reed said he had a little piece of Doom within him. It was awesome to read Fantastic Four 505.1 and see that he literally took a piece of Doom's brain and merged it with his own. I love little payoffs like that.

I am debating dropping the FF books when Hickman leaves, regardless of who they get to take his place. I can't really see anyone living up to this run. As much as I enjoyed Waid's Fantastic Four, this is probably the best run the book has had since John Byrne.

If I hear amazing things about the new writer a couple of months down the road, maybe I will pick the title up again, but its hard to imagine that whatever follows won't be a disappointment.
How the hell did i miss that. Holy shit, Hickman. Hurry up and come save The Avengers!

Troll

Banned
Okay guys, list your monthly pick ups, I'll start.

The Unwritten
Uncanny Xmen
Wolverine and the Xmen
Astonishing Xmen
AVX
AVX VS
Uncanny Xforce
Xmen Legacy

You guys see a trend?

Amazing how quickly the quality of Wolverine and the X-Men has fallen since AvX started.
Agreed, the title has felt less fun ever since the whole event started.
You guys are f*cking nuts! This issue was GREAT. Kid Gladiator showing heart, Iceman and the gang being quippy while taking down Avengers, Kitty futilely trying to keep the students isolated, and -- best of all -- Logan's state of mind gets some much needed clarification as he and Hope tangle with the Shi'ar death commandos. With amazing Nick Bradshaw artwork as the cherry on top and a teaser that promises not one epic beatdown but TWO epic beatdowns in the next issue!

I'm seeing a pattern: AvX comes out and Wolverine seems like a one-dimensional dick to everybody, Avegers and X-men alike, then WATXM comes out with some actual characterization worth a damn.

Are you reading Teen Titans? I'm interested in the book but dunno anyone who is actually reading it.

I enjoy it but some hardcore fans don't seem to like it. I think a lot of it is fan's attachment certain to certain versions of the characters and their disdain of what the creators have done in past projects. DC just needs to come out with an X Factor type book for these people with relationship drama, abandoned characters and "obscure" fan faves.

tim1138

I enjoy it but some hardcore fans don't seem to like it. I think a lot of it is fan's attachment certain to certain versions of the characters and their disdain of what the creators have done in past projects. DC just needs to come out with an X Factor type book for these people with relationship drama, abandoned characters and "obscure" fan faves.

I'll check it out then, I don't mind new interpretations of characters at all.
I'm so tired of reading forum posts from people saying they're quitting DC if Alan Scott is gay because it ruins the legacy of the character or some other nonsense.

Owzers

don't crush my comic spirit before my dcbs shipment gets here. It's to be expected sadly, events ruin most books and Marvel is cool with that :(

*reads Spike's opinion* well maybe it will be good.

kswiston

If WATXM was a 9/10 before AvX, than it's like an 8/10 now. There has still been a ton of characterization and plot progression in these past 3 issues. Also, when you read this series on its own in trades, the AvX issues will actually make sense. Without reading AvX at all, I would still know why the Avengers and X-men are fighting, what each of the WATXM characters are doing during that time, and why each of them is taking the stance they end up taking. Also, we get some great moments from Ice Man, Genesis, and Angel, and Lod Gladiator.

Compare that to Bendis' horrible Fear Itself tie-ins in Avengers/New Avengers. Half uninteresting interview dialogue, half plot scenes that jumped all over the place assuming you were reading the main crossover title.

I haven't read any other AVX crossover books outside of Wolverine and the X-Men yet, so I will not comment on them.

ReiGun

WatXM is bad now? Say it ain't so (gonna pick up mine tomorrow).

Red Hood and the Outlaws started so fucking terrible. But I have to say, by issue 9, I'm sold. It's pretty damn good.

My friend and the guy at my shop have been telling me this for months. I reckon I should give it another shot.

Okay guys, list your monthly pick ups

Amazing Spider-Man
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Justice League
Batman
Batman and Robin
Action Comics
Batwing
Batwoman
Wolverine and the X-Men
Ultimate X-Men
Animal Man
Swamp Thing

There's a bunch of other stuff I want to read, but money.

and mckone is being replaced by noto!
We're hating on Mike McKone now too? What the f*ck is happening to Comic GAF?!?

With Dean White coloring his pages, McKone's work on UXF #25 looked spectacular. AND, very in keeping with the visual style set by Opena I thought. I would have thought people who hate rotating artists would be pleased with the pairing.

Can You Help Oliver Nome?

hello friends and family..I’m gonna just get straight to the point, this is very difficult for me to say but those closest to me have convinced me that it won’t hurt to reach out and ask for help and support.

after a few wks of unusual headaches and dizziness I found out that I have a golfball size brain tumor on the upper right of my brain. We dont know how severe and Dr. said no point in biopsy cause it will have to come out asap.

Initially I was scared as hell but after the neuro surgeon consult I feel very positive. My surgery will be next week and I’ll have my sister and mother and close friends by my side who keep me brave and strong.

my art dealer Michael Alexandropoulos and good friend Alé Garza will be setting up sales of my art and excepting donations..being a freelance artist, I unfortunately have no health insurance. Please hit them up w/ any questions..I hate having to ask but anything helps. I’m gonna get through this but I will probly be out of work for a while.

If u or anyone knows of any assistance programs I can look into please hit me up.

my personal friends that I haven’t told, please hit me up anytime..sorry I couldnt get to everyone personally.

I know I have your support and am in your prayers, thankyou everyone;) — with Alé Garza and Michael Alexandropoulos

AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!

CORPORATE SHITBAG COMICS, FUCK YEAH!

>:O

Okay guys, list your monthly pick ups, I'll start.

This is what I'm pulling:

DC

Animal Man
Batman
Batman Inc
Batwing
Batwoman
DC Comics Presents
Detective Comics
Earth 2
Swamp Thing
The Dark Knight
World's Finest

Marvel

Captain America
Daredevil

Other

Locke & Key
Saga

Kamek

So did anyone pick up the Batman annual? I can't pick up my books for the whole month of May until I'm back at college.

Yeah it was basically all about Mr Freeze (in a good way) and we got to see some Nightwing/Damian action (love Nightwing) but can someone explain to me what the fuck the last few panels were about?

The new TMNT was so fucking good. Probably my favorite series out.

tm24

Yeah it was basically all about Mr Freeze (in a good way) and we got to see some Nightwing/Damian action (love Nightwing) but can someone explain to me what the fuck the last few panels were about?

He mercy killed his mom due to her suffering. She's constantly bleeding and imagining things. Seemingly threw her in ice to preserve her and setting off his interest in cyrogenics.

Sorry, but the bolded was not met with an appropriate level of joy and unbridled gushiness.

Morrison's Animal Man is stupendously awesome. It deals with many of the same themes as Flex Mentallo (another great book of his) but in a much more manageable superhero-comic form. His run is so much fun to read and ends PERFECTLY. It's the best thing of Morrison's I've read.

By the way, I went a bit crazy with this sale. Picked up both Seaguy series, all of the available Incredibles, JLA, Joe the Barbarian, All-Star Superman issues.

These Comixology sales are the greatest!

I decided to buy issues 7 through 9 of Batman & Robin, the entire Batman Inc run and both Seaguy volumes. I'd love to buy Animal Man, but I'm a little off-put by the art. Seaguy is absolutely fantastic! I'm still reading the first volume but I do hope Grant Morrison is still intending to do a third.

Quake1028

God help me I'm up to 28 DC per month.

I am up to:

DC/Vertigo
Action Comics
All Star Western
American Vampire
Aquaman
Batgirl
Batman
Batman and Robin
Batman, Inc.
Batman: The Dark Knight
Birds of Prey
Catwoman
Detective Comics
Dial H
Earth 2
Fables
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Justice League
Justice League Dark
Nightwing
Ravagers
Red Hood and the Outlaws
Superman
The New Deadwardians

Marvel
Amazing Spider-Man
Avengers
Avengers Academy
Avengers vs. X-Men
Avengers vs. X-Men: Vs.
Avenging Spider-Man
Daredevil
Deadpool
Hulk
John Carter: Gods of Mars
New Avengers
Secret Avengers
The Punisher
Uncanny X-Men
Venom
Wolverine
Wolverine & the X-Men
X-Men Legacy

Image/IDW/Valiant/Dark Horse
America's Got Powers
Darth Vader Ghost Prison
Invincible
Mind the Gap
Saga
X-O Manowar

Some of the Marvel and DC stuff I may drop after Owls/AVX are over. I probably should, I spent $214.36 on comics this month :|.

You guys are f*cking nuts! This issue was GREAT. Kid Gladiator showing heart, Iceman and the gang being quippy while taking down Avengers, Kitty futilely trying to keep the students isolated, and -- best of all -- Logan's state of mind gets some much needed clarification as he and Hope tangle with the Shi'ar death commandos. With amazing Nick Bradshaw artwork as the cherry on top and a teaser that promises not one epic beatdown but TWO epic beatdowns in the next issue!

YUP.

But hey, wouldn't be the first, second, or forty-eighth time people hated on a comic just because, let's be honest, it wasn't written by Scott Snyder.

(loljk)

(but seriously WATM is top of the class)

WATM AND HULK DOUBLE SHOT THIS WEEK, AARON STIZZ.

I need some advice, I got into comics the last month, caught up with Iron Man, read all of the important arcs and am going through some of the lamer ones now. I can't figure out where to jump next, I'd like to stick with Iron Man around, are any of the versions of Avengers worth jumping in at? Maybe jump into New Avengers?

What sucks is I can't really find another Marvel character I enjoy just yet. I've touched a few of the big Marvel arcs, but yeah. DC is a whole different story, I get boatloads per month from them as there are a lot of heroes I love in the DC universe.

I need some advice, I got into comics the last month, caught up with Iron Man, read all of the important arcs and am going through some of the lamer ones now. I can't figure out where to jump next, I'd like to stick with Iron Man around, are any of the versions of Avengers worth jumping in at? Maybe jump into New Avengers?

What sucks is I can't really find another Marvel character I enjoy just yet. I've touched a few of the big Marvel arcs, but yeah. DC is a whole different story, I get boatloads per month from them as there are a lot of heroes I love in the DC universe.

New Avengers was quite fun when it started out, a couple years back

If you want something more current, you might wanna try Secret Avengers, starting with the Warren Ellis run continuing through to the current run by Rick Remender and Gabriel Hardman

The Ellis run is in trade format already and the Remender run is only a few issues in.

Also, if you want more good Marvel stuff that's current you should definitely check out Thunderbolts by Jeff Parker

EDIT: Also, Wolverine and the X Men as well as Daredevil by Mark Waid have been some of my fav Marvel comics in years

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm down to one, Batman, Inc.

I finally gave up on "Action" "Comics".

OK, well you went the other direction. Off top of my head I am reading:

Batman
Batman Inc
Batman and Robin (right on the drop dubble)
Action Comics
Animal Man
Catwoman
Justice League Dark
Wonder Woman (may drop)
Flash (just dropped)
Sweet Tooth

I'd love to buy Animal Man, but I'm a little off-put by the art

Man, just get it. Animal Man is awesome if you're into meta comics. You have to get the whole run though, at first it is a seemingly normal comic and then it goes into full Morrison craziness. I don't remember the art being wonky. It did have to those Bolland covers thought :bow:

Mr. Sam

I need some advice, I got into comics the last month, caught up with Iron Man, read all of the important arcs and am going through some of the lamer ones now.

EDIT: Also, Wolverine and the X Men as well as Daredevil by Mark Waid have been some of my fav Marvel comics in years

I'll second this - particularly Daredevil. If you can read Bendis, Brubaker and Waid's runs with the character and not fall in love, it's official - you have no soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom