• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! May |OT| Round 2! FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DCLrP.jpg

Okay, I haven't had time to do much more than glance at my copy just yet (which is almost 100% 'Jette centric just from looking, btw), but the first (okay, second; even I think Adam went overboard with Emp's lips on the back cover) thing I noticed after tearing the shrinkwrap off my copy of Empowered Volume 07 was the paper stock, which has received a substantial upgrade. Gone is the dull, slightly-heavier-than-manga paper stock used on previous volumes; oh yes folks, Volume 07 is printed on the same glossy, heavier paper stock that was used in the Deluxe Editions.

Our girl Emp's moving up in the world! :D

My list

DC
Aquaman
Batman Inc.
Earth 2
Flash

MARVEL
Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 2
Amazing Spider-Man: Ends of Earth
Daredevil
The Incredible Hulk
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man

IDW
TMNT
GI Joe Cobra
GI Joe
GI Joe Snake Eyes

America's Got Powers
Danger Club
Epic Kill
Saga

ARCHIE COMICS
Sonic Universe

VALIANT
X-O Manowar

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So this has probably been asked a million fucking times, but I want to start reading the Avengers (I'm more of a DC man, very little Marvel) and need to know where to start.

Here is my first thoughts: Avengers Disassembled first, then move into New Avengers.

Would that cover the best parts of the Civil War stuff pertaining to the Avengers and then allow me to move on with the story, or is there more stuff further back I need? Is the New Avengers the way to move forward, or are there others that I need to add?

Thanks!

Isak_Borg

So this has probably been asked a million fucking times, but I want to start reading the Avengers (I'm more of a DC man, very little Marvel) and need to know where to start.

Here is my first thoughts: Avengers Disassembled first, then move into New Avengers.

Would that cover the best parts of the Civil War stuff pertaining to the Avengers and then allow me to move on with the story, or is there more stuff further back I need? Is the New Avengers the way to move forward, or are there others that I need to add?

Thanks!

Yeah disassembled is a great starting point for jumping in.

I usually give it to all the folks coming into the shop looking to get into the avengers.

People may not like bends but he really did make the book more accessible to new readers and stream lined the team and what the avengers are.

Owzers

Recommending Bendis Avengers is like trying to sell people deep fried butter at an Iowa State Fair. People may want it but it is harmful to your health :(

Isak_Borg

Recommending Bendis Avengers is like trying to sell people deep fried butter at an Iowa State Fair. People may want it but it is harmful to your health :(

Bendis is the Spielberg of comics easily digestible crap that is entertaining on the surface but lacks the nuance of someone like Hickman or Morrison.

Mafro

Thanks!
I'd just start with New Avengers since that's the beginning of the formation of the new team. Go for that plus the Civil War/Secret Invasion/Dark Avengers tie-ins when they come along.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Yeah disassembled is a great starting point for jumping in.

I usually give it to all the folks coming into the shop looking to get into the avengers.

People may not like bends but he really did make the book more accessible to new readers and stream lined the team and what the avengers are.

Thanks for confirming my own research. Just didn't want to start at the wrong spot.

Owzers

Bendis is the Spielberg of comics easily digestible crap that is entertaining on the surface but lacks the nuance of someone like Hickman or Morrison.

I'd say more like the Michael Bay of comics. Maybe...I like some Bay films, i like some Bendis comics, but his New Avengers in particular after the first arc and especially when it went into heavy tie-in land, i grew to hate and then drop it.

God help me I'm up to 28 DC per month.

Tons of great books coming out so enjoy, especially with The Owls crossover showing how events are done.

I've been going back and picking up runs that I passed on at first. Red Hood and the Outlaws started so fucking terrible. But I have to say, by issue 9, I'm sold. It's pretty damn good.

Good to see more Red Hood love as it's consistently a fun ride. Not to mention, gorgeous.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Okay, I haven't had time to do much more than glance at my copy just yet (which is almost 100% 'Jette centric just from looking, btw), but the first (okay, second; even I think Adam went overboard with Emp's lips on the back cover) thing I noticed after tearing the shrinkwrap off my copy of Empowered Volume 07 was the paper stock, which has received a substantial upgrade. Gone is the dull, slightly-heavier-than-manga paper stock used on previous volumes; oh yes folks, Volume 07 is printed on the same glossy, heavier paper stock that was used in the Deluxe Editions.

B-b-But it's going to feel "off" next to the other volumes >_< For some reason it's not coming in europe before the beginning of June so I'm still waiting for my yearly dose of Empowered. There was some heavy stuff coming for Ninjette.

Owzers

DC time:

Action Comics
Animal Man
Aquaman
Batman
Batman and Robin
Batwoman
Batman Inc
Batman Dark Knight when Hurwitz comes on with issue #10
Demon Knights
Dial H
Earth 2
Flash
Frankenstein
Green Lantern
Green Lantern's luggage ( New Guardians and GLC)
Justice League
JL Dark
Swamp Thing
Wonder Woman

I'd like to be reading less but i am having a hard time cutting books. Last to get cut were Catwoman and Batgirl. GLC and New Guardians are only kept because i like GL, the "expanded universe" interests me, and there is going to be another crossover soon...but individual quality has been severely lacking in the books so far.

Isak_Borg

I'd say more like the Michael Bay of comics. Maybe...I like some Bay films, i like some Bendis comics, but his New Avengers in particular after the first arc and especially when it went into heavy tie-in land, i grew to hate and then drop it.

Avengers has been fun but disposable at the end of the day, doesn't bother me but not what I look for in comics.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

I pre-ordered Empowered 7 at Amazon...doesn't ship until the 12th. :(

Reminds me of MK vs DC which was bad. Maybe they learned something this time around.

Mortal Kombat was good. They clearly learned from MK Vs. DC, which to be fair was also unfinished and rushed out before Midway shut down.

tm24

Reminds me of MK vs DC which was bad. Maybe they learned something this time around.

this game should be better, since Ed Boon didn't have creative control during MKvsDC, unlike MK9. While im not a fan of the actual fighting game mechanics of MK9, it was a much better overall game than most other fighters.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
While we're asking, I have Thief of Thieves and The Unwritten first edition first issues if anyone is interested. I'd love some issues of Orc Stain singles if anyone has any for trade. From what I understand, the Thief of Thieves is pretty sought after.

Since the trading thing seems to be picking up steam stuff I want: All Star Western, Skullkickers, Pigs, Invincible, Bad Medicine and others. I trade you four dollar Marvel books or pay you money. I am an honorable person.

sol_bad

Okay guys, list your monthly pick ups, I'll start.

DC
Animal Man
Batman
The Flash
Green Lantern
Justice League
Nightwing
Swamp Thing
Wonder Woman

Marvel
Amazing Spiderman
The Avengers
Avengers VS X-Men
AvX
Daredevil
Invincible Ironman
Mighty Thor
Uncanny X-Force
Uncanny X-Men
Wolverine and the X-Men

I'm also reading Saga and Mind the Gap

Hex

Banned
Really need to catch up on DC 52 Swamp Thing

Been reading alot of older stuff, Doctor Strange and early Daredevil along with Defenders and some other random things I get my hands on and really miss how they really did not dumb things down but at the same time they were fun. (Though the early Karen Page and Daredevil stuff got tedious..and Mike Murdock...lol)
Trying to pick up some of the magazine stuff now, Vampire Tales, Tales of the Zombie, Tomb of Dracula..etc.

I also think the power creep has gotten stupid in Marvel, almost to old DC standards.
Sentinels used to be menacing and just nightmarish for all of the Xmen and now they are just random 'black ninja class' filler.
Dracula was powerful as hell, but the stupid Xmen vamp crossover thing was just stupid compared to the older issues of Xmen where he was the baddy.
Many baddies who were once RWARRR are now peons when you have Omega class mutants all over, space ships everywhere like it is a normal thing, eveyone has super space tech and super protection suits for all occasions.

Here's my "List Offish" via my Comixology Pull List.

Adventure Time
Age of Apocalypse
Amazing Spider-Man
America's Got Powers
Avengers
Avengers vs. X-Men
Avenging Spider-Man
AVX: VS.
B.P.R.D.: Hell On Earth
Batman Incorporated (2012-)
Butcher Baker: The Righteous Maker
Casanova: Avaritia
Chew
Conan the Barbarian
Daredevil
Defenders
Fantastic Four
Fatale
FF
Fury Max
Glory
Haunt
Incredible Hulk
Invincible Iron Man
Journey Into Mystery
Lobster Johnson: The Burning Hand
The Manhattan Projects
Massive
The Mighty Thor
New Avengers
New Mutants
Popeye
Prophet
Punisher
Punk Rock Jesus
Saga
Scalped
Secret
Secret Avengers
The Secret History of D.B. Cooper
The Sixth Gun
Spaceman
Tales Designed To Thrizzle
Thunderbolts
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man
Uncanny X-Force
Uncanny X-Men
Venom
Winter Soldier
Wolverine and the X-Men
X-Treme X-Men

tim1138

My monthly pulls:

DC
Animal Man
Aquaman
Batgirl
Batman Inc
Earth-2
the Flash
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corp
Green Lantern New Guardians
Justice League
Justice League Dark

Vertigo
Saucer Country

Marvel
Avengers vs X-Men

The Manhattan Projects
Saga

yea, something like this

All Star Western
Supergirl
Superman Family Adventures
Nightwing
Batgirl
Batwoman
Batman Inc
Batman
Catwoman
Batman and Robin
Detective Comics
Birds of Prey
Swamp Thing
Animal Man
Justice League Dark
Legion Lost
Legion of Superheroes
Flash
Aquaman
Wonder Woman
Earth 2
World's Finest
Fables
Young Justice
Batman End Game
Batman Arkham Unhinged
Justice League Beyond
Batman Beyond
Ame Comi WonderWoman

Angel & Faith
Orchid
Adventure Time
Hack/Slash
Empowered
Locke & Key
Rachel Rising
Lady Mechanika
Darkness
Dungeons and Dragons
Alabaster: Wolves
Resident Alien

Amazing Spidey
Fantastic Four
FF
Daredevil
X-Factor
New Mutants
Uncanny X-men
X-men Legacy
Wolverine and the X-men
Xforce
Hulk

NetherRealm(MK) is making Injustice: Gods Among Us (DC fighting game ,360,PS3,Wii U)

I'm excited. I was never really that into MK but MK9 was good

Jesus. Some of ya'll need a culling, and I'm not talking about some sh*tty Titans story. o_O

Here's my list of regular monthly pulls, along with their current risk of my canceling their pull status. "Low" means they're safe because I'm enjoying reading it; "Moderate" means I'm holding out for an improvement soon; "High" means I'm regularly displeased with one or more aspects of the book; and "Severe" means they're as good as dropped come the next ordering cycle.

Cancellation Risk Status: LOW/MODERATE/HIGH/SEVERE

Marvel Comics:
Avengers Academy (MODERATE)
Avengers vs X-Men (LOW)
Daredevil (LOW)
Punisher (LOW)
Uncanny X-Men (MODERATE)
Uncanny X-Force (LOW)
Wolverine (SEVERE)
Wolverine & the X-Men (LOW)
X-Factor (LOW)
X-Men Legacy (MODERATE)

DC Comics:
Batman (MODERATE)
Batman Incorporated (LOW)
Demon Knights (HIGH)
Superman Family Adventures (LOW)

Other Publishers:
Conan the Barbarian (SEVERE)
Fatale (MODERATE)
Rocketeer Adventures (LOW)
Warlord of Mars (HIGH)
Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris (MODERATE)

The list doesn't include series which ship irregularly, like Empowered, or books I've dropped recently like Thunderbolts, which I won't be following into its transition to Dark Avengers. Also, I occasionally like to pick up single issues off the rack if an story grabs my attention; for example, I've picked up the last couple of Avenging Spider-Man issues because they looked fun.

Jesus. Some of ya'll need a culling, and I'm not talking about some sh*tty Titans story. o_O

Here's my list of regular monthly pulls, along with their current risk of my canceling their pull status. "Low" means they're safe because I'm enjoying reading it; "Moderate" means I'm holding out for an improvement soon; "High" means I'm regularly displeased with one or more aspects of the book; and "Severe" means they're as good as dropped come the next ordering cycle.

Cancellation Risk Status: LOW/MODERATE/HIGH/SEVERE

Marvel Comics:
Avengers Academy (MODERATE)
Avengers vs X-Men (LOW)
Daredevil (LOW)
Punisher (LOW)
Uncanny X-Men (MODERATE)
Uncanny X-Force (LOW)
Wolverine (SEVERE)
Wolverine & the X-Men (LOW)
X-Factor (LOW)
X-Men Legacy (MODERATE)

DC Comics:
Batman (MODERATE)
Batman Incorporated (LOW)
Demon Knights (HIGH)
Superman Family Adventures (LOW)

Other Publishers:
Conan the Barbarian (SEVERE)
Fatale (MODERATE)
Rocketeer Adventures (LOW)
Warlord of Mars (HIGH)
Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris (MODERATE)

The list doesn't include series which ship irregularly, like Empowered, or books I've dropped recently like Thunderbolts, which I won't be following into its transition to Dark Avengers. Also, I occasionally like to pick up single issues off the rack if an story grabs my attention; for example, I've picked up the last couple of Avenging Spider-Man issues because they looked fun.

Oh man you ain't digging that incredible James Harren art on Conan oh my goodness so good

Lombaszko

I ended up picking up the 9 issues of the first Batman, Inc. and the 3 issues of We3. I am so awesome.

There you go.

My Pull List
All DC Comics
Action Comics
All-Star Western
Animal Man
Batgirl
Batman
Batman Incorporated
Flash
Frankenstein: Agent of Shade
Justice League
Suicide Squad
Superman
Swamp Thing

I'll probably be adding Aquaman because the last few issues have been great.

Hex

Banned
Just finished New Mutants 43.
I hadn't really spent alot of time or effort on the new series being a huge fan of the original series.
The Asgard x-over has made me a fan of Journey into Mystery and also wanting to scoop up back issues of New Mutants.

DO not have a regular pull list at the moment mainly just play it by ear but my usual grabs these days:

Daredevil
Bat titles except for Batwing.
Most X Titles
Defenders

Demon Knights has fallen off of my radar, as has Suicide Squad.
Red Hood goes up and down for me.
Want to peek back in on Justice League Dark and Swamp Thing as well as Deadpool and will definitely be adding Journey into Mystery also.

Gala

Hi Comic-GAF! I need your help! What is a good way to start reading Marvel Comics? Are there any lists?

I really liked the 90s Spider-Man Cartoon and the old X-Men series and I'm especially interested in female heroines.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Hi Comic-GAF! I need your help! What is a good way to start reading Marvel Comics? Are there any lists?

I really liked the 90s Spider-Man Cartoon and the old X-Men series and I'm especially interested in female heroines.

Read Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis. It's like 130 issues long and really fun.

Avoid Civil War, Avengers Vs. X-Men and all the big crossover nonsense.

I dunno, usually my non comic people are more interested in reading that big event stuff.

For Marvel heroines I'm not sure. My favorites are all in Xmen, She-Hulk and Black Widow but none of them have solo books anymore but they have trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom