• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I see in the votes is:

1. Scott Snyder
2. Warren Ellis
3. Rick Remender

By that logic Charles Soule should be #1 because he has like seven top quality books he is writing at the same time. Word for word the man seems to be unstoppable lately.

Greg Pak, too.

Vyer

Excited about Southern Bastards. Still making my way through Scalped, but it's been fantastic.

Edit: I also forgot to vote, even though I planned to. But that probably would have been at least my top two anyway, so yay.

You hurt me. Harley was one of the best last month

I agree. I really liked it. I don't disagree with anyone's picks. SSM 30, Supes/WW, Harley, and a few others are easily considered top of the pile.

By that logic Charles Soule should be #1 because he has like seven top quality books he is writing at the same time. Word for word the man seems to be unstoppable lately.

Greg Pak, too.

I agree, that why I'm trying Inhumans this week and you should too.

EDIT: Am I breaking the rules by summarising the sales? I'll edit this post to remove that information if so. Otherwise, I was thinking that a weekly post in this format could be useful. We could give recommendations and suggestions each week.

This week's new sales have begun.

Totally grabbing Geoff Johns' complete Aquaman. I have the first volume in hardcover format, but it's easier for me to read digitally. I'm not going to buy in to Ultimate Spider-Man at the bundle/complete price, but if I wanted to dip my toes into the water, where should I start?
I can't imagine it's breaking the rules. Hell, I'd suggest to update more often than weekly considering there are Marvel Monday sales and week-end sales.

There's other stuff currently on sale, the following Marvel trades:
- 1602: $3.99
- New Avengers vol. 1: $1.99
- All New X-Men vol. 1: $3.99
- Runaways vol. 1: $1.99

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Excited about Southern Bastards. Still making my way through Scalped, but it's been fantastic.

Edit: I also forgot to vote, even though I planned to. But that probably would have been at least my top two anyway, so yay.

Dude, Southern Bastards is going to be fucking dope. It's got the Ales Kot seal of approval.

monome

I don't doubt Soule will do something interesting, but I have zero interest in the Inhumans, I'm still in the character/concept first, writer/artist second camp.

the concept is Marvel creating mutants they can use in movies!

with top notch talent to launch it.

Hey, mayn! Next month don't forget the Hellboyverse in the Dark Horse section of the OP! Best comics around!!

Otherwise, DOPE OPE.

(And sorry but Batman was the best book last month)

Messi

EDIT: Am I breaking the rules by summarising the sales? I'll edit this post to remove that information if so. Otherwise, I was thinking that a weekly post in this format could be useful. We could give recommendations and suggestions each week.

Totally grabbing Geoff Johns' complete Aquaman. I have the first volume in hardcover format, but it's easier for me to read digitally. I'm not going to buy in to Ultimate Spider-Man at the bundle/complete price, but if I wanted to dip my toes into the water, where should I start?

This is really helpful and always welcome.

This is HUGELY helpful and welcome, thank you.

I hope everyone got the Latour/Klein Winter Soldiers from the Monday sale!

Also there's ANOTHER Marvel DigiTrade sale:
All New X-Men vol 1 <------- COP THIS
New Avengers vol 1
Runways vol 1 <------- COP THIS

Messi

Also there's ANOTHER Marvel DigiTrade sale:
All New X-Men vol 1 <------- COP THIS
New Avengers vol 1
Runways vol 1 <------- COP THIS

I see the Runaways complete collection got pushed back until 2 days after I leave the USA in August :(

zeeaykay

Part of the draw for me about comics is something real fundamental: I love the notion of justice and good winning in the end. I'm not against characters that are more in the middle or even bad guys, but in the end the bad guys need to lose and the morally grey need to do the right thing. So stuff like the current Cyclops arc just bothers me because it doesn't seem like "Justice" is going to be served. People are just going to ignore him murdering and forcing his will on the world. I had the same problem with Iron Man in Civil War and Zatanna and those who voted for the Mind Wipe in Identity Crisis.

Maybe it's old fashioned of me and edgey unresolved bullshit is just the current fad.

I may come off as a jerk here, but I promise it's just an honest observation/constructive criticism...

This is a personal pet peeve of mine. "Comics" is not a genre, but a medium. I think what you mean to say is "Marvel" or "DC" or "Superhero" comics, or even "the comics I read." Not that there isn't value in super hero comics (some of the best writers and artists are on these books, and good stories can be the result), but the idea that comics are equated to simple, good vs. evil superhero stories is a stigma that is detrimental to the industry and the range of artistry and stories currently available, as well as limiting to the possibilities in the future.

Comics are a young medium -- let's embrace exploration, diversity, and pushing the boundries!

OK, off my soap box.

I may come off as a jerk here, but I promise it's just an honest observation/constructive criticism...

This is a personal pet peeve of mine. "Comics" is not a genre, but a medium. I think what you mean to say is "Marvel" or "DC" or "Superhero" comics, or even "the comics I read." Not that there isn't value in super hero comics (some of the best writers and artists are on these books, and good stories can be the result), but the idea that comics are equated to simple, good vs. evil superhero stories is a stigma that is detrimental to the industry and the range of artistry and stories currently available, as well as limiting to the possibilities in the future.

Comics are a young medium -- let's embrace exploration, diversity, and pushing the boundries!

OK, off my soap box.

yeah but what about night thrasher

Wiseblade

OK, off my soap box.
The medium of "sequential images, accompanied by text" isn't exclusive to the US. What's detrimental to the medium is the reluctance of some to approach works from different countries of origin.

See, I can play the Elitism card too!

OK, off my soap box.

Wf0Jsyr.jpg

I grabbed everything but funnily enough, I was going to write how much I liked the Bru/Guice part. I know Guice isn't for everyone but some of these pages are gorgeous and he really fits the overall tone of the book. It definitely feels like a very worthy continuation of Bru's Cap.

I have yet to reach the Latour part though, great to know these issues are good !

People should note I'm very biased as I'm a total sucker for this specific character and for the super hero espionage genre in general.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So is Ms. Marvel a terragon-born inhuman? I know nothing about Inhumans aside from the fact that Matt Fraction was once going to write it.

The medium of "sequential images, accompanied by text" isn't exclusive to the US. What's detrimental to the medium is the reluctance of some to approach works from different countries of origin.

See, I can play the Elitism card too!

Funny you should mention this, comixology.fr is currently giving away French books (in French), including the first volume of a Proust funny book adaptation.

Vyer

Dude, Southern Bastards is going to be fucking dope. It's got the Ales Kot seal of approval.

That's good enough for me!

OK, off my soap box.

The theme of Good vs. Evil is rather universal.

Not that it matters; seemed to me he was clearly talking about the type of books he reads in that medium, not all of comics.

zeeaykay

I think that was clear to everyone. And I do mean everyone.
I obviously understood that. I'm just saying, there should be a qualifying statement. Would it be the same of he said "I read books because..."

There is an obvious image that comes into people's mind when most people hear "comics". I'd just like there to be greater awareness for the range of genre in the medium. Statements equating comics to simple entertainment, whether implied or direct, does not help move the industry or public consciousness forward.

I also realize I'm jumping on a single example, unfairly, it was just there to start the discussion.

It's hard to come off as reasonable on the internet.

Filthy Slug

Yes

I have a passing intrest in inhuman , rather just get a book of black bolt being. A bad ass
Cool, and yeah, I don't know how much I care about this book. Soule won me over with She-Hulk, so maybe?
I think that was clear to everyone. And I do mean everyone.
Yeah, everyone who understands context.

I obviously understood that. I'm just saying, there should be a qualifying statement. Would it be the same of he said "I read books because..."

There is an obvious image that comes into people's mind when most people hear "comics". I'd just like there to be greater awareness for the range of genre in the medium. Statements equating comics to simple entertainment, whether implied or direct, does not help move the industry or public consciousness forward.

I also realize I'm jumping on a single example, unfairly, it was just there to start the discussion.

It's hard to come off as reasonable on the internet.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with you making these assertions in a general way. It was your decision to use gh's post as a semantical springboard that people are reacting poorly to. It was overwhelmingly obvious to anyone that he was talking about his own personal taste, as you freely admit. If that context is clearly implied, I don't see why he should have to qualify it.

I just finished reading Strange Attractors.. I really enjoyed it! Great book to get your brain thinking,, I liked that art a lot too. Good read.
-Written by Charles Soule, Art by Greg Scott

Here's the short Synopsis;
"A young graduate student discovers that his aging professor has been saving New York City from collapse by a series of “adjustments,” a la the Butterfly Effect, only to be informed that he must be the one to take over keeping the city alive. A grounded sci-fi thriller in the vein of Source Code and The Adjustment Bureau."

zeeaykay

I just finished reading Strange Attractors.. I really enjoyed it! Great book to get your brain thinking,, I liked that art a lot too. Good read.
-Written by Charles Soule, Art by Greg Scott

Here's the short Synopsis;
"A young graduate student discovers that his aging professor has been saving New York City from collapse by a series of “adjustments,” a la the Butterfly Effect, only to be informed that he must be the one to take over keeping the city alive. A grounded sci-fi thriller in the vein of Source Code and The Adjustment Bureau."
Sweet, thanks for the heads up, that sounds really interesting. Is there anything Soule doesn't write? I'd love to see what his daily schedule looks like.

OK, off my soap box.

Nah, it's all good brah. I get what you are saying. You are absolutely right that "Comics" aren't just about Superheroes. There is obviously a large length of time where that was the case, but even they grew out of Westerns and Crime serials. I was specifically talking about what I look for in comics, as a general rule. The vast majority of my comics are Superhero, but even I find great stories amongst other genres; I've gushed many times over Y: The Last Man, for example. For me, however, there is just something magical about a good superhero story that does something for me in a very profound way. As someone who sees so much bad stuff in the world it is very cathartic to sit down to a story about good vs. evil and to see evil get punched in its stupid face. I don't mind when themes are explored, or even when the darkness seems on the brink of victory, but in the end I want that release that only justice can provide. That's just what comics are for me. And the context for what I was talking about is how much it bothers me when something like Cyclops' actions don't have that resolution that I am looking for. Both of the "Big 2" are guilty of those sorts of things, but Marvel has just done it more so for me, partially because I had followed them longer (as a Marvel kid growing up) and only having gotten into DC in the last decade, so I haven't seen it quite as much (though I still have! as mentioned).

Owzers

I read comics because i want to be amazed and movies weren't really cutting it. Sinestro Corps War vs whatever the heck that DC Green Lantern movie was, I KNOW RIGHT?

sidenote: What's this Ring of Nibelung hardcover Dark Horse is putting out this summer?

Im buying every issue of Batman Eternal but screw the rest of the New 52.

There's still some good stuff mixed in the New 52. Red Lanterns and WW are good. Though I can see myself dropping WW if the new creative team doesn't pan out.

Very much looking forward to Batman Eternal, though. And if the next Batman arc IS about Poison Ivy? ALL IN.

when Batman Eternal can sustain its own existence outside the marketing hype...

More seriously, Summer/Early Automn.
DC will want a major Batman event for its 75th Anniversary.

Ah, I thought it would finish earlier. I wanted to drop Batman when Zero Year ended, but it looks like I'm dropping it around #29. I'm trying to control my comic budget and Batman isn't my top comic, mainly because he isn't my favourite hero.

Terry McGinnis Batman is awesome, though.

There's still some good stuff mixed in the New 52. Red Lanterns and WW are good. Though I can see myself dropping WW if the new creative team doesn't pan out.
Some of it is good,
Batman being my main thing though made me hate it.
couldn't even enjoy Worlds Finest for what they did to Bertinelli.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom