• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Just read Moon Knight #1....what happened at the end there? I'm not familiar with the character or previous runs, who were
those ghostly looking people in the house at the end, and skull face guy who said "welcome my son"?

I can't fault someone for preferring the version that was more popular/prominent in recent years. were people REALLY clamoring for the original version to be brought back?

Technically, the current version also was the old version, as referenced by the fact that she destroyed that particular identity. So Helena Wayne was Helena Bertinelli.

Splatt

Just read Moon Knight #1....what happened at the end there? I'm not familiar with the character or previous runs, who were
those ghostly looking people in the house at the end, and skull face guy who said "welcome my son"?

Skull face guy is Khonshu, Egyptian god who saved Spector's life and made him his avatar on Earth.

He was a pretty important character in previous runs.

Technically, the current version also was the old version, as referenced by the fact that she destroyed that particular identity. So Helena Wayne was Helena Bertinelli.
Yeah, but that's still kinda a weird way to handle a semi-popular character, by basically shrugging it off as a fake identity. but then you're getting into matters of how pre-New52 continuity works in the New 52 and that doesn't really matter to me

Yeah, but that's still kinda a weird way to handle a semi-popular character, by basically shrugging it off as a fake identity. but then you're getting into matters of how pre-New52 continuity works in the New 52 and that doesn't really matter to me

Well, for what it is worth, I really like New 52 Huntress. As the daughter of Selina and Bruce, she has a rich heritage that is much more interesting, to me, than as the daughter of a mobster. Add to that, her friendship with Kara of Earth 2 which has really saved the book for me. I'd really love to see some more stories of their time as a duo on Earth 2, prior to the Darkseid Invasion.

damn at all those Marvel #1's

I feel like I am really stuck. I am having problems with my LCS and my holds so I have to drive all over to find issues. Do you guys recommend a reliable online shop that I can setup holds and ship like once a month?

does something like that even exist?

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Having recently read Scalped I've very pumped for SB. Will be super painful reading this as a monthly though.

Also, is anyone reading Revenge? I'm blown away that Image allows some of the stuff in that book. Book is crazy.

Owzers

damn at all those Marvel #1's

I feel like I am really stuck. I am having problems with my LCS and my holds so I have to drive all over to find issues. Do you guys recommend a reliable online shop that I can setup holds and ship like once a month?

does something like that even exist?

dcbs :p do it alreadys.

I hear heavyink has set up something like that too, not sure about midtown comics.

So what do people think made Moon Knight so good? I read it and it was fine but I found it pretty unmemorable overall.

I think Warren Ellis. Read something like Planetary and you know what he is capable with the character. I was the same way as you after the first read. Then I read Planetary. Then I reread Moon Knight and it shot up to being my top 3 of the month.

I think Warren Ellis. Read something like Planetary and you know what he is capable with the character. I was the same way as you after the first read. Then I read Planetary. Then I reread Moon Knight and it shot up to being my top 3 of the month.

Planetary is one of my favorite books ever. Moon Knight was no planetary but then again almost nothing is so I don't hold that against it. But MK didn't feel anything more than average to me so I've been surprised by how much love it's gotten since release.

Planetary is one of my favorite books ever. Moon Knight was no planetary but then again almost nothing is so I don't hold that against it. But MK didn't feel anything more than average to me so I've been surprised by how much love it's gotten since release.

It's one issue. You can't do a lot in one issue.

It's one issue. You can't do a lot in one issue.

I don't disagree. But by the same token I don't see what was so great in that issue that many feel it was book of the month. That's why I'm asking- I thought it was just fine and I will get the second issue but even in terms of recent number ones I would put Punisher and Black Widow above it in terms of getting me invested and excited for a new series.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So what do people think made Moon Knight so good? I read it and it was fine but I found it pretty unmemorable overall.

It's the subtle buildup of Moon Knight, his eccentricities on full blast, white suit, strutting towards a crime scene, quickly surveying and reconstructing, making connections, and then descending without second thought into the depths of NYC. The climax is a fight that ends before it ever really starts, and then you're hit with the real draw of the issue, Moon Knight's potential brain damage.

It's a fucking great issue and Ellis absolutely keeps in-line with a common structural theme he pulled off in many Planetary issues, which is storytelling that lets the art speak without an overabundance of dialogue/narrative.

Also, that coloring. Some damn fine coloring work here.

I don't disagree. But by the same token I don't see what was so great in that issue that many feel it was book of the month. That's why I'm asking- I thought it was just fine and I will get the second issue but even in terms of recent number ones I would put Punisher and Black Widow above it in terms of getting me invested and excited for a new series.

New series tend to get people excited and they'll be willing to bump it up as much on the promise as on the actual content. Also, there is a small but very passionate fanbase for Moon Knight; He has had several false starts on series. There just hasn't been the numbers to sustain an ongoing.

It's the subtle buildup of Moon Knight, his eccentricities on full blast, white suit, strutting towards a crime scene, quickly surveying and reconstructing, making connections, and then descending without second thought into the depths of NYC. The climax is a fight that ends before it ever really starts, and then you're hit with the real draw of the issue, Moon Knight's potential brain damage.

It's a fucking great issue and Ellis absolutely keeps in-line with a common structural theme he pulled off in many Planetary issues, which is storytelling that lets the art speak without an overabundance of dialogue/narrative.

Also, that coloring. Some damn fine coloring work here.

Ellis used a lot of pop culture/super hero symbolism is Planetary. I would be excited if Ellis used Moon Knight in the same vein, obviously a commentary/satire/etc of Batman.

frye

I just caught up on the Pak/Kuder Action Comics stuff and while it's not bad, I wish it were a little bit better. That's pretty much how I've always felt about Pak though, so hopefully Johns/Romita (with Laura Martin colouring apparently? That seems like a big deal) will excite me more when they come on Superman in June.

e: and yeah, MK was suuuuuper Warren Ellis-y

Kuder clearly the best part of Action Comics from the issues I read. I can't remember ever thinking "oh boy, Greg Pak is writing this!". His issues were always the weaker parts of Incredible Herc with Van Lente.

Man, don't know what you guys mean, Action Comics has been great. The interplay between Lana and Clark, has been absolutely fantastic. Add to that the way that they are / were trying to deal with things that they didn't understand, about the Underground World.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Ooooh man. Just received my two Fear Agent Library Edition volumes. People always say they're way bigger than they expect, and even having seen the pictures and read a bunch of those statements, I was still surprised by how big they were. So excited to read them.

SoilBreak

Banned
Man, don't know what you guys mean, Action Comics has been great. The interplay between Lana and Clark, has been absolutely fantastic. Add to that the way that they are / were trying to deal with things that they didn't understand, about the Underground World.
Yeah I've been enjoying it as much as well especially how clark & lana are written.

Vyer

Yeah, Pak's Superman is great. Haven't picked up a Superman book regularly in years but his work in Action has put it back on my list.

That Brubaker run is a little too malicious to certain characs for my taste.

Are you talking about
Milla
? Fair enough, if so, but I really liked the prison stuff and the last few arcs. And I thought, with the one exception, the supporting cast was better developed than it was during the Bendis years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom