• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Yea. If people want to, then at the end of the day, you're right, it's their problem. I think as the guy making the gofundme or whatever, he needs to think if it's an appropriate cause to ask his fans to fund him for, these guys can have a powerful effect on folks and it shouldn't be abused, but I do agree, at the end of the day people make their choice.

Agreed but I can't blame him for doing that since he owes sooooooo much money lmao

he's a goober

mreddie

1333005-mardi_gras_special.jpg

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Its really funny, I thought this morning about Ultimates and how most of the celebrities are now faded into obscurity and even the Stark Phone has aged better in that regard.

Vic_Viper

Lots of Image HCs in the new catalogue.

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.c...rows=100&sord=7&savecook=1&time=1493317120279

Black Science v2
Sunstone v2
Luther Strode
Paper Girls v1
Low v1
Descender v1
Souther Bastards v2

These are the larger HCs right? Im at work so I havent checked the link yet. Looking forward to getting the Decender book if its the oversized HC. Dont like getting individual volumes personally.

Image lately is by far my go to publisher out of the big 3. They are absolutely killing it! How is Southern Bastards btw?

Right now im reading The Black Monday Murders, Seven to Eternity, Deadly Class, East of West, Lazarus and Kill or be Killed. Ive got Low, Black Science, Rat Queens, The Old Guard, and Descender on my backlog.

Wish Marvel would do more of their OHCs, especially for some of their most recent stuff like Ultimates and Daredevil. They do some that are only soft cover too which pisses me off lol. I think atleast Doctor Strange is getting one soon, but other than that I dont see them doing them for anything else. Atleast Amazing Spider-man and Thor get them. I just picked up the rest of Bendis's All New X-Men and the 2nd Uncanny book up recently. Much prefer them to Omni when I can get them.

Southern Bastards is fantastic, one of the best published at the moment. Any reason you're not following Deadly Class? (there's HC of that too, is why I ask)

Vic_Viper

Southern Bastards is fantastic, one of the best published at the moment. Any reason you're not following Deadly Class? (there's HC of that too, is why I ask)

Waiting for the 2nd Deluxe HC. Forgot to add that one too ;) Stopped getting single issues accept for Seven to Eternity and The Black Monday Murders though.

Waiting for the 2nd Deluxe HC. Forgot to add that one too ;) Stopped getting single issues accept for Seven to Eternity and The Black Monday Murders though.

Ah right, awesome! Those are some great books. I don't think you would be disappointed at all by Southern Bastards, judging by your current reading list man. Black Monday Murders is probably one of the only books I can imagine I would legit be satisfied with if I went monthly. So meaty :eek:

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I want a websites that only has articles like thag Vulture piece on Ultimates and no stupid reviews of single floppies I am gonna read in 5 months or recaps of TV shows or a list of easter egg from the newest Cape Trailer for people who dont know that Spider-Man has a - Between the Spider and the Man.

To bad that this doesnt exist and double bad that for Videogames there 62737 millions blogs and good websites for this.

I want a websites that only has articles like thag Vulture piece on Ultimates and no stupid reviews of single floppies I am gonna read in 5 months or recaps of TV shows or a list of easter egg from the newest Cape Trailer for people who dont know that Spider-Man has a - Between the Spider and the Man.

To bad that this doesnt exist and double bad that for Videogames there 62737 millions blogs and good websites for this.

It's very hard to do this, or any special interest content, without a subscriber model of some sort these days. Ad-based stuff just isn't feasible because adblock is so pervasive, and when you still rely on it, you have to throw everything at the wall to see what sticks.

I can't think of any comic journalist or blogger I would pay for to read or watch though. I had Comic Vine as part of the larger Whiskey Media sub back in the day and they were routinely the worst part of the sub-only shows.

Sorta why I love twitter. I never need to visit CBR to look for stuff because Cronin tweets out links for new CSBG stuff, Strip Panel Naked is without a home now that ComicsAlliance is dead and I follow enough people that I find interesting articles or podcasts every day pretty much. It's how I was introduced to X-Plain The X-Men when talking about LGBT Marvel characters and someone linked me the Claremont episode where he made it clear he wrote Kitty and Rachel as the end game(but also grew to like Kitty and Illyana).

Would anyone want Jason Aaron Avengers?

People were dropping names of who should take over?

Not sure what an Avengers roster would even look like post-Secret Empire.

Maybe they will do a short run before going back to a relatively "classic" (as in, close to the films) roster for FCBD 2018.

mreddie

Not sure what an Avengers roster would even look like post-Secret Empire.

Maybe they will do a short run before going back to a relatively "classic" (as in, close to the films) roster for FCBD 2018.

Didn't Hickman take over the book post Avengers 1? Wouldn't it make sense to get a new lineup before Infinity?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's very hard to do this, or any special interest content, without a subscriber model of some sort these days. Ad-based stuff just isn't feasible because adblock is so pervasive, and when you still rely on it, you have to throw everything at the wall to see what sticks.

I can't think of any comic journalist or blogger I would pay for to read or watch though. I had Comic Vine as part of the larger Whiskey Media sub back in the day and they were routinely the worst part of the sub-only shows.
I am aware. At the same time, there are plenty of super niche blogs from private persons I follow and that has such an insanely small crowd and people do it just for fun. The german market for B-Movies is super small. Everything is banned and the stuff that is avaiable comes for an insanely price. And at the same moment, there was a guy who wrote a blog with 1500 post with reviews about that stuff. Because he cares about it. Why isnt there something for Comics in english? I just dont understand, its such a nerdy theme and comic fans are so enthustic about their hobby and if there is a guy blogging as a hobby about absolte medias like Cigarrete Card Discs, why is there no one doing cool stuff on Comics? I dont believe there are more people interested in reading about why Cigarette Card Disc and Yaboom Boxes failed as medias as there are people interested in Comics.
I would go nuts if someone like tim or JC would have a cool blog where they would go into detail and talk about stuff like this. I always loved when JC threw in a random anecdote that was totally unrelated to everything that went on right now and it was just fun to read. I would even do it by myself and start something in the vein of this about shit I know but I am fucking horrible at writing essays and there would still be a language barrier and I am often enough ashamed of the shit I write here on gaf because I think my english is fucking bad. Also, I miss often the important cultural context.

I just dont understand, I would be even fine with more indeepth looks on Comicbook movies. But just not shitty easter eggs lists.

Sorta why I love twitter. I never need to visit CBR to look for stuff because Cronin tweets out links for new CSBG stuff, Strip Panel Naked is without a home now that ComicsAlliance is dead and I follow enough people that I find interesting articles or podcasts every day pretty much. It's how I was introduced to X-Plain The X-Men when talking about LGBT Marvel characters and someone linked me the Claremont episode where he made it clear he wrote Kitty and Rachel as the end game(but also grew to like Kitty and Illyana).
CSBG is missing. I love their stuff. But I never notice it because these idiots cant set up a fucking RSS feed that directs me to their posts and I dont want to subscribe to CBR because I dont care the slightest about 99% they post.
Strip Panel Naked is legit great. Cant wait to watch more of that stuff and a good addition to my YouTube Subscription. Podcasts arent a option because I hear them next to stuff I do like cooking or driving or doing my job and due to my ADHD I cant hear at foreign languages and do proper stuff alongside.

Its just sad.

Sandfox

Would anyone want Jason Aaron Avengers?

People were dropping names of who should take over?
I would be cool with Aaron, but at the same time I wouldn't have a problem with Waid staying if he's writing the classic members since he has a better feel for them.

Aaron is probably going to be writing the flagship Legacy book, but we don't know what that is yet.

I am aware. At the same time, there are plenty of super niche blogs from private persons I follow and that has such an insanely small crowd and people do it just for fun. The german market for B-Movies is super small. Everything is banned and the stuff that is avaiable comes for an insanely price. And at the same moment, there was a guy who wrote a blog with 1500 post with reviews about that stuff. Because he cares about it. Why isnt there something for Comics in english? I just dont understand, its such a nerdy theme and comic fans are so enthustic about their hobby and if there is a guy blogging as a hobby about absolte medias like Cigarrete Card Discs, why is there no one doing cool stuff on Comics? I dont believe there are more people interested in reading about why Cigarette Card Disc and Yaboom Boxes failed as medias as there are people interested in Comics.
I would go nuts if someone like tim or JC would have a cool blog where they would go into detail and talk about stuff like this. I always loved when JC threw in a random anecdote that was totally unrelated to everything that went on right now and it was just fun to read. I would even do it by myself and start something in the vein of this about shit I know but I am fucking horrible at writing essays and there would still be a language barrier and I am often enough ashamed of the shit I write here on gaf because I think my english is fucking bad. Also, I miss often the important cultural context.

I just dont understand, I would be even fine with more indeepth looks on Comicbook movies. But just not shitty easter eggs lists.

CSBG is missing. I love their stuff. But I never notice it because these idiots cant set up a fucking RSS feed that directs me to their posts and I dont want to subscribe to CBR because I dont care the slightest about 99% they post.
Strip Panel Naked is legit great. Cant wait to watch more of that stuff and a good addition to my YouTube Subscription. Podcasts arent a option because I hear them next to stuff I do like cooking or driving or doing my job and due to my ADHD I cant hear at foreign languages and do proper stuff alongside.

Its just sad.

I think it just comes down to money, really. Both in getting the money to get off the ground and making money to keep it as a viable business.

There's also definitely still a stigma around comics. I'm in a book club on FB and it is the most vapid garbage that gets talked about, all those crappy thrillers that are a Euro on Kindle. If I even mentioned that I was a comics reader as well, I'd be dogpiled, fast. Even my real life friends, they go to see every movie, they watch all the TV stuff, if I even mentioned a comic, there's just groaning and derision. I get asked every week when Young Justice and Legion are coming back but I couldn't even get them to read one issue of X-Men Legacy. SAD!

I'm generally not a fan of Twitter either. It's the debate equivalent of juicing when you really want the flesh and the fiber for the good stuff. At the same time, if you want to be a writer on the internet, you probably don't get anywhere without being good at Twitter. I have a friend that wrote a daily games blog (played a different game every day for a year) and his engagement numbers dramatically went up in proportion with his Twitter followers. It's still worth keeping around for WeRateDogs though.

I, personally, miss writing but I'm just not as engaged with comics as much as I used to be. Or much of anything really. Work keeps me busy and I just don't get motivated (read: angry) about much anymore.

Interesting conversation guys, I definitely wish there was much more engaging comic discussion, articles, enthusiasts etc everywhere, lots of good points being made.

I read through Geis this evening, what a wonderful little Ogn. The book is initially presented like a fairytale or child's story you might remember from when you were young. On the eve of the great chieftain Matarka's death, 50 souls are called from across the Kingdom. The wise, the rich, the young the poor. They are then invited to a contest. They are to be scattered by Matarka's sorceress to the far corners of the kingdom, and must return before the next dawn touches the castle's door to be considered for the role of the next ruler. However a Geis has been enacted; a curse binding life and death. Fate has been sealed, and only two of the fifty know the full truth of the game they've begun...

Thus, the book follows the adventures of a number of the 50 chosen as they work together and some cases against each other to reach the castle first and before dawn. The book is whimsical at times, and extremely dark at others, and is a thoughtful look at human nature, ambition and the resolve of one's values when they are challenged. Will you bend, or will you break? All of this is illustrated beautifully by cartoonist Alexis Deacon. He uses soft pencil lines with a pale palette to create the perfect look of a European folktale and it's a real job to look at.

The book is just 75 pages,but comes as a lovely hardcover with a nice material spine (not sure how to describe there), the inside of the covers is inscribed with runes and it's just really awesome. This volume is the first in a trilogy and I'll definitely be checking out the rest, I would recommend if you like this sort of thing.

Aizo

Banned
So I finished Batman: Endgame the other week, and I'm wondering if I need to read anything after that to start Batman Rebirth. I've heard the next trade isn't good? Also, looks like the final trade isn't even all Snyder's Batman? Should I just skip to Rebirth now?

My friend and I made our plans last night to catch up after the issues we already own by buying an issue a week of Tom King's Batman.

Wow, I really enjoyed Nighthawk #1 - #6. Even following this thread and comic news closely, this seems to have completely bypassed my attention. I picked it up only because my library got the trade.

The dynamic between Tilda and Kane was great. As were Tilda's digs at Captain America. Loved Villalobos' art. The anger behind the book/story was palpatable. The ending should have felt abrupt because of the cancellation but I think it fit perfectly with the arc. I was also surprised to see Marvel was ok with publishing this in 2016.

Wow, I really enjoyed Nighthawk #1 - #6. Even following this thread and comic news closely, this seems to have completely bypassed my attention. I picked it up only because my library got the trade.

The dynamic between Tilda and Kane was great. As were Tilda's digs at Captain America. Loved Villalobos' art. The anger behind the book/story was palpatable. The ending should have felt abrupt because of the cancellation but I think it fit perfectly with the arc. I was also surprised to see Marvel was ok with publishing this in 2016.

I just put this in my basket last night haha, glad to hear the whole thing is a good read! I just remember on and off chat about it back around cancellation, but I don't remember folks talking about the resolution. It sounds like a compelling read though, especially if the book being cutoff didn't mess up the end. glad you posted this. I was looking at grabbing Powerman & Iron Fist too, folks liked that, right? I haven't read any Walker but that seems like his best stuff so far.

So I finished Batman: Endgame the other week, and I'm wondering if I need to read anything after that to start Batman Rebirth. I've heard the next trade isn't good? Also, looks like the final trade isn't even all Snyder's Batman? Should I just skip to Rebirth now?

I thought Super Heavy & Bloom were okay, not too bad, but the whole premise of Gordon as Batman is giving such little exploration before they move on it feels wasted and a mistake to have bothered if not to go further with the premise, and I was a little flummoxed at times. I haven't read either Eternal series or some of the other ancillary titles at the time and it felt like I was missing some plot beats etc. It's right on the edge. If you like Snyder's actual writing style and Capullo's artwork it's a good shout, but you could move on if you're more in it for plot.

Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of shady to wait until the last minute to suddenly announce King isn't writing Batman 22? Suddenly less King on the event that was mostly hyped on King...

Sandfox

Nighthawk was one of the best comics released in 2016.

Vic_Viper

Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of shady to wait until the last minute to suddenly announce King isn't writing Batman 22? Suddenly less King on the event that was mostly hyped on King...

Is Snyder writing it!? I would start buying Batman again in single issues if he picked it up after King!

Edit: nvm its the Flash's writer. I haven't been a big fan of King on Batman tbh. It just feels like going through the paces, nothing new or unique to add.

Also I hope Aaron get the Avengers after Waid, either him or Ewing. I think I read somewhere Waid might be going to D.C. For Superman which could be good. If Aaron gets Avengers or whatever the flagship Legecay boom is I hope Wolverine is part of the roster. I would really like to see him writing a book with Wolverine(Logan or Laura), Thor, Doctor Strange, Iron Man, and hopefully a reset OG Cap (if he survives Secret Empire). Could be pretty cool seeing how he lives with what he has done post SE along with everyone else hating him.

tim1138

Not really. Geoff Johns actually wrote the story, King and Williamson are just doing the scripting for their particular issues. It seems pretty apparent it's going to be a Flash heavy story, so it makes sense the Flash writer would do the bulk of it.

I'm kind of interested in what Aaron will actually do if he does indeed write the flagship book out of Legacy (I think I agree he will though). Even though he has intersects with events at moments, rule of thumb is he leans heavily away from them. Original Sin was really a pick up off of something Brubaker has suggested and at that he went obscure where he could and just played with his favourite toys. During Secret Wars he picked Weird World, and so on. He seems to honestly like to sit in his own box and play with stuff that's up on a shelf getting dusty, so it'd be interesting to see, especially as the tone setter.

Top Bottom