• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Finished the first trade of Daredevil: Back in Black. Enjoyable arc, but I'm sad about how Tenfingers ended. Very much a paper tiger, and while I'm not a fan of that, the way that arc ended left me curious, though not exactly wanting. I like Blindspot. Cool chaacter and concept, though not a ton of depth as of yet, there's some super strong groundwork. I also want to say that the issue where Matt goes to see Steve is one of my favorite things I've read. Brilliant.

Really liking this book, so if this is a "starts slow, gets great" kind of book, then I'm fucking in.

Powerman and Iron Fist is good.

Cheers for that Sandman.

..............I will buy that 2DS XL. In 2017.

Really liking this book, so if this is a "starts slow, gets great" kind of book, then I'm fucking in.

By all accounts I think that's how exactly how folks have reacted to that. Current basket for next order is Nighthawk + Powerman/Iron Fist, this Daredevil run, Black panther, Moon Knight & Black Widow. I only have 2 Marvel books left that aren't finished/team is leaving so need to try some new stuff.

Sandfox

Finished the first trade of Daredevil: Back in Black. Enjoyable arc, but I'm sad about how Tenfingers ended. Very much a paper tiger, and while I'm not a fan of that, the way that arc ended left me curious, though not exactly wanting. I like Blindspot. Cool chaacter and concept, though not a ton of depth as of yet, there's some super strong groundwork. I also want to say that the issue where Matt goes to see Steve is one of my favorite things I've read. Brilliant.

It is.

caliph95

Code:
[IMG]https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6xoH967aC00/R_oAcLFAw1I/AAAAAAAAHY4/kInU3hWiSuk/s400/couchdarkseid3.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/reigun/darkseid_couch.jpg[/IMG]

caliph95

Grant-Morrison-as-a-young-man.jpeg

I don't entirely agree with him - the lines and hold onto multiple books focused around the same character - but I understand the general thrust of his argument. Part of that is what I was trying to get at in my shot at paring down Marvel's lineup.

I also think DC is heading in that direction, despite the bump from Rebirth. The most-recent issues of Action Comics are all about working out continuity, which I think is aimed at us veteran readers. It just feels confusing to new folks.

Yeah I was thinking about this the other day, even though DC is doing well at the moment, it is getting to a point now where if there not careful there going to possibly isolate new readers again.

The idea of rebirth seemed to be bringing things back to basics, giving readers a new start and jumping on point. Readers who had never read a characters series before could jump in get an idea of who the character was and his motivations/style, but as the series are going on there seems to be more and more call backs to past continuity. Superman has been bringing back loads of pre-rebirth continuity back, SS vs JL brought back loads of old villians/story points, flash/batman especially in the button are bringing back past continuity stuff. Its fun stuff to see for us readers who have been reading for years, but for new readers I imagine it could be seen as confusing and could put people off.

I mean I don't know if that was the plan all along or writers cant really help themselves from doing it, but you've got to keep that line where you throw in a few cool things for long time readers but still make thigns accessible.

When pay day comes next week I've promised myself to start trying out some comics outside the big 2.

So far I'm set on buying:

Pretty Deadly
Low: The Delirium of Hope
East of West year one
Trees
Rat Queens
Monstress
Paper Girls
Descender: Tin Stars

I chose these because their covers looked nice and their descriptions were alright. Is there anything on here which is a no go?

Also my Zatanna book finally arrived yaaas. I still wish Bloodspell was included but just having her entire 16 issue series pre N52 is good enough for me.

Also Doom Patrol 6 was pretty fun, its weird how I didn't really like the first issue of the new series but as its gone its really grown on me and I can't wait for a new issue coming out now.

Its such a crazy ride of imagination, great art and comedy. I sometimes wish it would slow things down a bit so we could spend a bit more time covering the important points of the story before it moves on but I guess thats just part of the crazy style. Would have really loved if stories such as
Dannyland, Janes Cult
, Casey and Sam just working everyday in the ambulance could have even covered multiple issue arcs. Feel like there was so much more story to tell there.

caliph95

When pay day comes next week I've promised myself to start trying out some comics outside the big 2.

Pretty Deadly
East of West year one
Trees
Rat Queens
Monstress
Paper Girls

I chose these because their covers looked nice and their descriptions were alright. Is there anything on here which is a no go?

Also my Zatanna book finally arrived yaaas. I still wish Bloodspell was included but just having her entire 16 issue series pre N52 is good enough for me.
Everything here looks good
Would like to hear your thoughts

Messi

Pretty Deadly
East of West year one
Trees
Rat Queens
Monstress
Paper Girls

Sunstone. A beautiful funny touching bdsm lesbian love story about friendship and sex nerds by Stjepan Sejic.

Death Vigil by Stjepan Sejic

Deadly Class by Rick Remender

Messi

W're trying to ease gaffer in messi not scare the gaffer away

There is nothing extreme in Sunstone and it's one of images best books. There are no lies in my post, it's all upfront. Kill the stigma.

Also low is way more sexual and violent than Sunstone will ever be lol

I chose these because their covers looked nice and their descriptions were alright. Is there anything on here which is a no go.

The only one with a caveat I'd add is Pretty Deadly, which Imo is awesome, but also a little unconventional in it's storytelling between the script and the art. It's great but just a little less for everyone than I'd say the others are. I wrote a bit about both volumes of the book earlier this week if you're interested in more thoughts. All the rest of those are great and easy to pick up though, the only ones I'm currently ignorant to are Monstress and Rat Queens.

Sunstone. A beautiful funny touching bdsm lesbian love story about friendship and sex nerds by Stjepan Sejic.

Death Vigil by Stjepan Sejic

Deadly Class by Rick Remender
Added. Concerning Death Vigil though, the story doesn't end on any cliffhangers does it? I saw a tweet from Sejic way back in 2015 how it was dead due to low sales and I don't wanna start something and leave wanting more.

Also any malexmale romance recs? I know about Midnighter but surely Image/Dark Horse/etc would have a few stories on gay male romance?

caliph95

Added. Concerning Death Vigil though, the story doesn't end on any cliffhangers does it? I saw a tweet from Sejic way back in 2015 how it was dead due to low sales and I don't wanna start something and leave wanting more.

Also malexmale romance recs? I know about Midnighter but surely Image/Dark Horse/etc would have a few stories on gay male romance?
I heard Backstagers has a lot gay and bi characters in a all male cast, so that might be something you are looking for

Messi

Also malexmale romance recs? I know about Midnighter but surely Image/Dark Horse/etc would have a few stories on gay male romance?

Death Vigil is now going forward as an OGN. Either later this year or start of next. Sejic never let's go of projects. It's endearing. The first volume is a meaty 8 issues too. First volume wraps up well but you will want more as the characters are lovely.

I can't think of any gay male books oddly enough.

Sat and read through Pretty Deadly volume 2. Fuuuck me, the visual storytelling is ambitious in this one. The first book has its fair share of creative spreads and layouts but it's almost like every page flows into the next in this volume and takes on new form briefly to tell the next step before flowing onwards. Very cool stuff.

The story was cool, this volume felt alot more metaphorical and personal than the last. Vol 1 has this feel but there was a lot going on with the twists and turns in building the mythology and secrets behind each character. Most of the original cast return, but they feel more like guides into a more personal thoughtful tale that, even in its most bombastic moments, wants to present ideas for you to think about, than put big narrative beats or character turns first. Again same ingredients, just skewed a little differently as a result of not being the first rodeo. Rest assured though, DeConnick has some aces in her back pocket and there's a few clever plot details that unfold. The framing device didn't feel quite as successful this time but then again, I think I need to ruminate on those scenes a little, and pick through them before I make my mind up.

Pretty Deadly then. A cool book, and volume 2 is a good installment. It feels like the book could take any form and tell any tale with any focus with the pieces it's put in place and the capable creative team, and that's exciting. Plus that's two books where I've quite liked the message coming out of them. For a book about death, it has a lot of nice things to say about the nature of life. Looking forward to what comes next.

EDIT: Oh, worth adding that the back matter is quite good, and the prose that explains Johnny Coyote & Molly Raven's story is in there from Pretty Deadly 1 & 2 which is nice.
Okay now I'm really excited about reading Pretty Deadly.

I heard Backstagers has a lot gay and bi characters in a all male cast, so that might be something you are looking for

Aaaand added.

Ideal Avengers team:

Aikku Jokinen/Enigma
Toni Ho/Iron Patriot
Laura Kinney/Wolverine [X-MEN REP]
Sam Wilson back as Captain America [There must always be a Cap on the Avengers]
Hercules [I don't care what anyone says, best part of the new run]
Jane-Thor [I don't need to explain this]

Sam can lead, or maybe Herc. Herc leading a team would be HILARIOUS.

--

Ideal Thunderbolts team:

Taskmaster [leader]
Mentallo [aww yeah, underrated as fuck]
Mockingbird [team morals/heart]
TESS-one [the muscle]
Gwenpool [For the dynamic]

MAKE IT HAPPEN, MAHVEL

Okay now I'm really excited about reading Pretty Deadly.

Haha yea, it is an exciting book, and engaging, you can spend quite awhile with it. I love that each book is a different era too, the first being the old west and the second WW1. It really opens up the story opportunities. I believe the next one is the 1920s and then back to the Viking era.

I've being going back and forth on checking out Bitch Planet, I liked Pretty Deadly so much. Alot of it was to do with Rios' art though so unsure.

X-O Manowar

Really liking this book so far. This issue felt a little light compared to the first issue though, it just kind of read fast and didn't really progress a ton as we leave off in pretty much a similar situation.

X-Men Gold

Thought this was pretty good, better than the first issue.

Underwinter

Trash

Kill or be Killed

I really like how this started off before the previous issue and then kind of synced up. Basically seemed to work as a sideways issue as basically the same timeline but the different POV.

Messi

Also for TropicalFish

Birthright
Black Monday Murders
Chew
I hate Fairyland
Lazarus
Manifest Destiny
Monstress
Shutter
Wicked and the divine

Not from image

Strangers in Paradise
Rachel Rising
Lady Killer (top rec)
Six Gun Gorilla
WW can never go home
Sheriff if Babylon

Green Lanterns Rebirth #1, #1: Yeah, I am done with any and all Green Lanterns. Maybe it wasn't Johns. I've given three different writers a shot now and they all follow the same Basic template. Not wasting any more of my time.

qTPtkv3.png

Hates Midnighter, hates Green Lanterns... Is whatsinaname the Anti-tim? If they met, would the energy from the explosion destroy the earth?

Discuss.

Correction. I disliked the current run of Midnighter. ( I loved him in Authorty and Stormwatch).

But yes, I think I now hate everything GL.

<ALL CAPS BECAUSE EVERYONE IN GL BOOKS SEEMS TO BE SO LOUD>

GREEN THOUGH BOX: I DON'T KNOW WHY THE RING CHOSE ME.

ENTER SINESTRO/DIFFERENT COLOR LANTERN

GREEN THOUGHT BOX: OMG AM I WORTHY OF THE RING

GREEN THOUGHT BOX: THE RING CHOSE ME SO I MUST BE WORTHY

GREEN THOUGHT BOX: OMG THANKS DAD/SISTER/NEPHEW/OBAMA

GREEN THOUGHT BOX: IN DARKEST NIGHT!

/FLY TOWARDS READER WITH ONE KNEE RAISED

caliph95

whatsinaname new oath and ring
"With blood and rage of crimson red,

Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead,

Together with our hellish hate,

We'll burn you all--that is your fate!"
latest

TheFlow

Banned

Pretty Deadly
East of West year one
Trees
Rat Queens
Monstress
Paper Girls

Great list don't listen to anybody telling you to add more. Read those decide what you want to continue and go from there. Best part is a lot of those books have less than 4 volumes.

Top Bottom