• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Barf.

I like me some Lazarus, but it just isn't going to be the same.

Yeaaaa. Artists was one thing, but actual scripts, hmmm. That kind of thing can be so hit or miss. I feel like American Vampire welcomed this with the anthologies, although I guess these things have happened before.

Haha. Haven't received my order yet and already sizing up my next order. Probs gonna do some Mignola catch up, and the step up in price for those trades is always a gut punch. You go straight from getting 8 Image books for X price (depending if vol 1s are involved) to like 5 Dark Horse. Not that the quality of the trades aren't amazing (which they are) it's just like :( give me more books for my money.

Yeaaaa. Artists was one thing, but actual scripts, hmmm. That kind of thing can be so hit or miss. I feel like American Vampire welcomed this with the anthologies, although I guess these things have happened before.

It was kind of well-received when American Vamp did it, though I was never really crazy about it.

Also, Bishoujo Katana is sculpted:

17884473_1689653767717679_5475045125509838985_n.jpg

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Finally finished Stray Bullets, shit took me forever.

While I didn't really like a lot of the middle of the book, the later chapters were pretty good. It picked up a lot when we started just following Amy.

Have you tried Super Sons? Jon and Damian's relationship is so great.

Yeah, I like Super-Sons more than Superman.

A rotating creators mini series in the mean time. Rucka overseeing but different script writers and artists for each issue. July til year end should fill most of the dead air.

You must be kidding, omg. Different artists drawing the world and characters is one thing, but Rucka isn't even going to be writing this mini!?!? Uggh!!

Although... hey... it might be... interesting? No, it's poop. Now I'm wishing he'd just replaced Lark. I like his work, but seriously.

Well he's "co-writing". I'm sure he'll be hands on to an extent, but this seems more like a vehicle to get some other hands on the toys and keep something out there while he gets his shit caught up on all fronts and starts in at the *real* stuff.

The current plan, via Rucka:

Issue 1—written by myself and Eric Trautmann—follows Casey Solomon and her travails of Dagger selection. Steve Lieber is drawing.
Issue 2 follows Joacquim following the events of this issue, and is written by myself and Aaron Duran, and drawn by Mack Chater.
Neal Bailey and I are writing about Joe and Bobbie's life in San Francisco and their brush with the Free.
We'll conclude in December with issue 6, again written by myself and Trautmann, this time illustrated by Tristan Jones, revealing the secrets of the Zmey.
Along the way, we'll be spending time with Xolani, Alimah, Joe and Bobbie, and Sere Cooper.
But before this, you get The Lazarus Sourcebook, Volume 2: Hock, out in April. This will be followed by Volume 3: Vassalovka early next year.
All of this should carry us through to the spring where we'll start arc six, Fracture.

Even the writers are pretty new, I don't recognise the names of the three mentioned? Lieber & Chater are familiar artists though.

TheFlow

Banned
Isn't there some new Lazarus mini or something I saw in the Image solicits? Also saw something like that for Bitch Planet. I hope this isn't going to become a regular thing, because part of the appeal of these indy books is that they don't try to turn a story into something that requires you to read more books. That's very much some Marvel-like behavior.

yea there is.

I am just not interested enough to invest in a Lazarus spinoff the same way I could for American vampire.

Messi

Wow, you like Low that much? I mean, it's a good book most of the time, but I clearly don't hold it in as high regard as you do. I liked the first two arcs way more than what's going on now.

Let's be honest. No one expected this book to last more than six issues. The fact we got as much as we did is impressive.

Low HC before Sejic? This isn't the Messi I know.

God damn, is SDCC sneaking up already?

Shutter is surprisingly good for a book that feels very random most of the time.

Low is Remenders best book.

I am just not interested enough to invest in a Lazarus spinoff the same way I could for American vampire.

Whereas I totally am. Though, I wouldn't say I'm interested as much as invested. And also plagued with completion-itis. So, I'm basically a Lazarus mark, is what I'm saying. I even buy the stupid sourcebooks that I will surely never read. But I am genuinely excited by the prospect of learning more about the other characters and experiencing more of the world. I'll just bitch and moan to high hell if I don't like how it's written/drawn.

TheFlow

Banned
Whereas I totally am. Though, I wouldn't say I'm interested as much as invested. And also plagued with completion-itis. So, I'm basically a Lazarus mark, is what I'm saying. I even buy the stupid sourcebooks that I will surely never read. But I am genuinely excited by the prospect of learning more about the other characters and experiencing more of the world. I'll just bitch and moan to high hell if I don't like how it's written/drawn.

yea the world doesn't capture me enough to want to know more about it. I understand where you are coming from.

So a bit late, but I saw Kong: Skull Island.

Fucking dope as hell. Like, super dope. These recent American kaiju movies have been so great in the past few years.

Vic_Viper

Can anyone here recommend a good Bookshelf for Omnibuses and Trades from Amazon or a retailer other than IKEA? I really like IKEA's Billy Bookshelf series but shipping is super expensive for some reason. Need something kinda narrow.

VanWinkle

Can anyone here recommend a good Bookshelf for Omnibuses and Trades from Amazon or a retailer other than IKEA? I really like IKEA's Billy Bookshelf series but shipping is super expensive for some reason. Need something kinda narrow.

Walmart sells an IKEA Kallax clone from a brand called Better Homes and Gardens. Similarly priced at like $68. I used to have my omnis and oversized hardcovers on there and it works great and feels nice quality. I have the weathered wood finish but I think they have black and white finishes too.

DUzrg1Eg.jpg

Vic_Viper

Tony Guerrero‏ @GManFromHeck 2h2 hours ago
More
You might've noticed, I've parted ways with GameSpot and ComicVine.

welp thats comicvine dead

woah wtf happened? I mean they didnt seem like they were doing much lately but I didnt think GameSpot would drop them like this... They didnt even try to promote ComicVine.

Hope he finds a new home. Has there been any news regarding this?

Walmart sells an IKEA Kallax clone from a brand called Better Homes and Gardens. Similarly priced at like $68. I used to have my omnis and oversized hardcovers on there and it works great and feels nice quality. I have the weathered wood finish but I think they have black and white finishes too.

DUzrg1Eg.jpg

We just leave our POPs just laying around wherever now? What are we? Savages?

Vic_Viper

Thanks btw, I found one that is just a single wide instead of the 2 set that would work perfectly.

Someone already probably said it but if you have Amazon Prime and a Twitch account you can redeem a free code for Injustice Vol. 1 and Ground Zeroes #1.

Dalek

I just read Deadpool's The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. That was really good-I just always assumed his solo title was silly nonsense.

VanWinkle

I just read Deadpool's The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. That was really good-I just always assumed his solo title was silly nonsense.

Bro Duggan/Posehn's Deadpool run is fantastic. I mean, a lot of it IS silly, but it has heart and they're not afraid to be serious sometimes.

Old Man Logan #21
Time travel shenanigans are fucking radical. Mysterious pasts are also really fun. So what happens when two great tastes get together? They're still fucking great. Nguyen's art really elevates this, as well. It has this sweet combination of simplicity and detail, not to dissimilar to someone like Acuña. My only problem is the way he draws Wolverine in his yellow and blue look. It just looks uncomfortable and...wrong. Like a live cosplay of Wolverine. I feel the same way about Sorrentino's cover. As far as writing goes, I have only one complaint, and that is that the circumstances of the time travel, for the most part, make sense.
The amulet travels with his consciousness to each time period, but the rest of the surroundings remain as they were. For example, his Weapon X body was pumped full of drugs, rigged up, and was floating in a tank. He could feel all of that. What confuses me is the very first period, which is when he's in Canada. He can clearly feel his body's different. He mentions that he's young and all of his power and animal instinct and rage that we see Logan seemingly trigger manually over the years as he's gotten older is hard to control, due to his young age. So, why then, does he have adamantium claws at this point? He didn't get that until centuries later. He should just have bone claws.

Beyond that, I really liked this issue and am digging this arc so far.

Weapon X #1
If you ever wanted Old Man Logan to look even older than he ever has, look no further. Land has got you covered. And while the colors make it seem less Land-ish than usual, it some how makes it worse. Inconsistent. Anyways, there's plenty of action, but it doesn't feel as energetic. Definitely more brutal than I've seen out of him in awhile, though. I'm enjoying what's happening. It feels fun and fast-paced, so that's good. It feels like something different. My big issue here is the character voices. Logan seems okay, but Sabretooth is weird. He seems far too reluctant. I suppose I don't know how Uncanny X-Men ended, but I liked Sabretooth as the whole "vampire with a soul" shtick he had going on. The whole reluctant superhero seeking redemption, because what else is he going to do. But in this, he seems like a bastard combination of old Sabretooth and post-Axis Sabretooth. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I'm not digging him as much. I did love Lady Deathstrike's message though. Fucking gold. Also what a callback with
Weapon Plus and Nuke
. Damn.

That said, I'm looking forward to more, so I'll keep on it.

X-Men Blue #1
Okay, hear me out. I know I was quite the detractor before this came out, but holy fuck this was great. I loved everything about it, including what felt like a Morrison New X-Men callback. Not only that, but a callback to one of my favorite X-Men arcs (unironically). I like the voices, the dynamics, everything. And even though I have major problems with
Jimmy Howlett being brought in because we don't need another goddamned Wolverine, I do like the way it's being done. And godDAMN, Future Brotherhood is coming BACK. Which makes so much sense, considering they put themselves into a permanent psychic timeloop. I also have a couple questions: Why does Juggernaut look like a steampunk mech? And why does Monet show up on Magneto's hit list? Is it because of Emplate? Couldn't get rid of him?

Only one dud in ResurrXion so far, and it was Gold. Go figure, the one I predicted would be the most boring in fact was as of its #1.

Sandfox

Old Man Logan #21
Time travel shenanigans are fucking radical. Mysterious pasts are also really fun. So what happens when two great tastes get together? They're still fucking great. Nguyen's art really elevates this, as well. It has this sweet combination of simplicity and detail, not to dissimilar to someone like Acuña. My only problem is the way he draws Wolverine in his yellow and blue look. It just looks uncomfortable and...wrong. Like a live cosplay of Wolverine. I feel the same way about Sorrentino's cover. As far as writing goes, I have only one complaint, and that is that the circumstances of the time travel, for the most part, make sense.
The amulet travels with his consciousness to each time period, but the rest of the surroundings remain as they were. For example, his Weapon X body was pumped full of drugs, rigged up, and was floating in a tank. He could feel all of that. What confuses me is the very first period, which is when he's in Canada. He can clearly feel his body's different. He mentions that he's young and all of his power and animal instinct and rage that we see Logan seemingly trigger manually over the years as he's gotten older is hard to control, due to his young age. So, why then, does he have adamantium claws at this point? He didn't get that until centuries later. He should just have bone claws.

Beyond that, I really liked this issue and am digging this arc so far.

Weapon X #1
If you ever wanted Old Man Logan to look even older than he ever has, look no further. Land has got you covered. And while the colors make it seem less Land-ish than usual, it some how makes it worse. Inconsistent. Anyways, there's plenty of action, but it doesn't feel as energetic. Definitely more brutal than I've seen out of him in awhile, though. I'm enjoying what's happening. It feels fun and fast-paced, so that's good. It feels like something different. My big issue here is the character voices. Logan seems okay, but Sabretooth is weird. He seems far too reluctant. I suppose I don't know how Uncanny X-Men ended, but I liked Sabretooth as the whole "vampire with a soul" shtick he had going on. The whole reluctant superhero seeking redemption, because what else is he going to do. But in this, he seems like a bastard combination of old Sabretooth and post-Axis Sabretooth. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I'm not digging him as much. I did love Lady Deathstrike's message though. Fucking gold. Also what a callback with
Weapon Plus and Nuke
. Damn.

That said, I'm looking forward to more, so I'll keep on it.

X-Men Blue #1
Okay, hear me out. I know I was quite the detractor before this came out, but holy fuck this was great. I loved everything about it, including what felt like a Morrison New X-Men callback. Not only that, but a callback to one of my favorite X-Men arcs (unironically). I like the voices, the dynamics, everything. And even though I have major problems with
Jimmy Howlett being brought in because we don't need another goddamned Wolverine, I do like the way it's being done. And godDAMN, Future Brotherhood is coming BACK. Which makes so much sense, considering they put themselves into a permanent psychic timeloop. I also have a couple questions: Why does Juggernaut look like a steampunk mech? And why does Monet show up on Magneto's hit list? Is it because of Emplate? Couldn't get rid of him?

Juggernaut got that look when his powers returned to him in Amazing X-Men. I can't remember what happened in that story though.

Paige Guthrie is the best. It is known.
Juggernaut got that look when his powers returned to him in Amazing X-Men. I can't remember what happened in that story though.
That's fair. I'll get to that eventually. I dig the look for the most part, but the tubes are awful.

It's the Billy I have and it's served me perfectly fine over the years, even survived a house move at this point. I have about 270-280 books on there now, that are a mix between regular trades, HCs and a few omnis, and it's fine. That kallax that Winkle shared though is really nice though.

Weapon X #1
If you ever wanted Old Man Logan to look even older than he ever has, look no further. Land has got you covered.

Phalanx Covenant took awhile to get going, but now that it has...well damn. It's pretty cool. I don't dig Emma's vomit green body suit or Monet, though.

Black Monday Murders vol 1 is on sale at CMX.

Image are doing Spawn themed variant covers for pretty much all their big books.

I quite like the Deadly Class one. Was going to share it last night but not sure how spoiler it would be considered.

I know it's been in trade now,
but kind of surprised how free they're being with putting those characters on the cover so soon

I have now read every issue of amazing spider-man between 1963 and 1998, and a substanial number of the spin off stuff. Phew. Lot of spidey. Gonna try and catch up on the side books I missed. Overall despite some stuff being really bad (Mcfarlane's art work, clone saga) it was a pretty positive experience.

Favorite villain and supporting character?

Heh:

Hmmm. Best supporting character would be Jameson (cos of course, the early storylines where he slanders spider-man and creates villains to destroy him are great, plus the explanation that he hates spiderman cos he's not as heroic and cool as he is) or.... Aunt May. I was gonna say Gwen, but she honestly doesn't get enough time to develop as a not one note character.

Best villain is Doc Ock or Kingpin. Or the various goblins. Hob goblin storyline was great.

Top Bottom