• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

We buy POPs now? What are we? Savages?

There. Fixed that for you.

Also, you may have been right about the new Constantine run. I enjoyed the first trade but reading the second trade feels like eating the second half of a Hershey's Cookies and Cream bar - when you start questioning yourself about why you are still eating it.

Also, you may have been right about the new Constantine run. I enjoyed the first trade but reading the second trade feels like eating the second half of a Hershey's Cookies and Cream bar - when you start questioning yourself about why you are still eating it.

I only have 60. I CAN QUIT ANYTIME I WANT GODDAMNIT!

caliph95

Inspired by the celebration of diversity in manga thread as well as the essential marvel thread. I feel like making a one for non big two (with exceptions for imprints like Vertigo and Icon) comics in general.

Just a combination of recommendation and celebration for the underappreciated diversity and uniqueness of more creator owned comics. Never made a proper thread besides posting links any hints and tips.

Inspired by the celebration of diversity in manga thread as well as the essential marvel thread. I feel like making a one for non big two (with exceptions for imprints like Vertigo and Icon) comics in general.

Just a combination of recommendation and celebration for the underappreciated diversity and uniqueness of more creator owned comics. Never made a proper thread besides posting links any hints and tips.

Graphics are your friend. Lots of big pretty pictures in the OP draw peoples' attention and gets them interested.

mreddie

tumblr_inline_oodpjsu6By1r3d8dg_500.png

JOKEZ

Abort. Abort.

That guy's comic work sure dried up after those details about his background came up. And just how dull his stuff was too.

Damnit. Got ahead of myself yesterday and forgot there would be no deliveries from the courier Wordery use today because Easter holidays :( There was one book I could only get via Amazon though, so I have managed to end up wiiiiith:

The Spire, by Si Spurrier & Jeff Stokely. Excited for this. I was honestly just in the mood for some comics with awesome art, my whole order was in that vein, and as it happens I've never read anything Spurrier wrote either, so should be a good time. Will read this evening. First Boom trade too (not Giant Days, sosorry) and it's really nice. It even has a quote from BKV on the front, so it must be good.

Expect lots of condescending posts from people who don't want to actually try western comics lol

Some non-big two or Image books I'd recommend:
Love and Rockets
Lady Killer
Skim
SuperMutant Magic Academy
Megahex
Six Gun Gorilla
Anya's Ghost

Image is pretty easy honestly, just look through the thread and you'll find plenty.

If you're including Vertigo:
Doom Patrol
Flex Mentallo
Shade, the Changing Man
Enigma
FACE
You Are Here
Why I Hate Saturn
Many seem to think Vertigo = Sandman and Fables for the most part.

Vic_Viper

Very cool write up about what Cable could mean for Fox's X-Verse. Pretty much what you would have guessed, basically Cable could be the Nick Fury stand in or even be the Reset button they need to start over with the team from X-Men Apocalypse. Think Remender's Uncanny X-Force, but with Cable taking Wolverine's place as team leader.

http://www.cbr.com/cable-lynchpin-fox-xmen-universe/

Spire came out in trade?! Shit, I missed that on my order!

Haha I'm not sure when it came out dude but I can guarantee it's out now! Nice thick collection.

For Vertigo books, Imo Sweet Tooth, Scalped and Unknown Soldier are Goat for the modern era and maybe The Unwritten too, but yea, the 90s stuff is obviously more Vertigo's legacy, the modern stuff now just feels like a precursor to modern Image. Kind of weird Carey hasn't had a major Image series now. I think of it.

Oh, and easy to forget about since its not Image or Vertigo, but Locke & Key is a pretty amazing series.

duckroll

Finished East of West Year Two and Black Monday Murders Vol1. Hickman is totally on fire. I think there was a really weird typo in BMM tho! Anyone else spotted it? Lol.

Finished East of West Year Two and Black Monday Murders Vol1. Hickman is totally on fire. I think there was a really weird typo in BMM tho! Anyone else spotted it? Lol.

Mmm? I read it earlier in the week, nothing jumps out. Is it weird or is it more devil dealing ha?

TBMM is legitimately exciting though. I really like East Of West but BBM is another ball game.

Vic_Viper

I think my Marvel Unlimited is about to run out. Does anyone have any current coupons for resuming my sub for another year?

Messi

Expect lots of condescending posts from people who don't want to actually try western comics lol

Some non-big two or Image books I'd recommend:
Love and Rockets
Lady Killer
Skim
SuperMutant Magic Academy
Megahex
Six Gun Gorilla
Anya's Ghost

Image is pretty easy honestly, just look through the thread and you'll find plenty.

If you're including Vertigo:
Doom Patrol
Flex Mentallo
Shade, the Changing Man
Enigma
FACE
You Are Here
Why I Hate Saturn
Many seem to think Vertigo = Sandman and Fables for the most part.

Everything Terry Moore has self published

jurgen

LOL. Has Greg Land done much lately aside from the short run on the Uncanny relaunch? What is the run he most known for?

He's on Weapon X now.

I think he's most known (or infamous) for his multiple (three) runs on Uncanny and Ultimate Fantastic Four.

It's a shame he got lazy because he used to actually be a competent artist.

He's on Weapon X now.

I think he's most known (or infamous) for his multiple (three) runs on Uncanny and Ultimate Fantastic Four.

It's a shame he got lazy because he used to actually be a competent artist.

The BoP issue he did where Dick and Babs are at the old circus and he takes her "flying" was amazing.

After a decade long break from comics, think I am ready to get back into some of it. I ordered Silver Surfer Volumes 1 and 2.

I also saw a flier for Ben Reilly written by Peter David and Mark Bagley.

Holy shit, what year is it?

This week's CMX best sellers in the EU:
1. Detective Comics #954
2. The Wicked + The Divine #28
3. Wonder Woman #20
4. The Flash #20
5. Action Comics #977
6. Titans #10
7. Injustice 2 #1
8. Amazing Spider-Man #26
9. Rat Queens #2
10. X-Men: Blue #1

Hey I like POPs

And yeah it's boring. I don't know what it is, but it's fucking boring.

Add me to the list of people who loved X-Men Blue. Gonna have to try the new Jean Grey and Iceman titles, too. Damn, Marvel be taking all my monies.

The Spire, by Si Spurrier & Jeff Stokely. Excited for this. I was honestly just in the mood for some comics with awesome art, my whole order was in that vein, and as it happens I've never read anything Spurrier wrote either, so should be a good time. Will read this evening. First Boom trade too (not Giant Days, sosorry) and it's really nice. It even has a quote from BKV on the front, so it must be good.

Good reminder. I'll add this to my reading list. I have all the flippies but never read it as it was released at a time I was taking a comics break. But I adore both these creators so I am pumped. I'll hit Spire after I catch up on weeklies (which include Spurrier's newest, Godshaper) and Saga, which I read in trade.

Sandfox

Add me to the list of people who loved X-Men Blue. Gonna have to try the new Jean Grey and Iceman titles, too. Damn, Marvel be taking all my monies.

Good reminder. I'll add this to my reading list. I have all the flippies but never read it as it was released at a time I was taking a comics break. But I adore both these creators so I am pumped. I'll hit Spire after I catch up on weeklies (which include Spurrier's newest, Godshaper) and Saga, which I read in trade.

I'm looking forward to the Jean Grey book.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Not sure if I already asked, but how is the new adjectiveless Avengers book? I like the rooster and I hope its finally a Teamcomics that is not awful shit.

Mmm, Godshaper looks good, expected more thoughts in the thread this week on it. I'll probably share some thoughts tonight or tomorrow on the trade, depending when I get through it. Six Gun Gorilla is in with the rest of my order too, have had it on the list since like 2014 lol I get there eventually. I remember folks in here being really excited by it back then.

This BMM thing. Most likely a typo, seems too bare faced to be anything else but I dunno. Makes me start to think about
"We Know"....Maybe Milton was outraged by more than he let on. Maybe twins is the giveaway.

Not sure if I already asked, but how is the new adjectiveless Avengers book? I like the rooster and I hope its finally a Teamcomics that is not awful shit.
First of all, there are a lot of team books that are great right now, and if X-Men Blue is any indication, there will be more.

Secondly, it's average. Del Mundo's art saves it from being sheer boredom incarnate. If you didn't like All-New All-Different, you won't like this.

Owzers

No internet last night so I decided to read lewd comics unfit for society: Sunstone volume 4, pretty good, some of the emotional stuff can get intense and the ending ten or so pages made me want to read vol 5.

No internet last night so I decided to read lewd comics unfit for society: Sunstone volume 4, pretty good, some of the emotional stuff can get intense and the ending ten or so pages made me want to read vol 5.

Oh God Sillymonkey is reading filthy comics. That comes just before you start buying lewd statues.

Sandfox

I liked Black Panther & the Crew #1. Normally I don't like dense reads, but the material here really intrigued me and it wasn't as dense as Black Panther surprisingly, though it is still narrative driven in a way that makes it not for everyone. I love how the writers are adding onto Marvel's black history by
creating a silver age all black superhero team that existed during the Civil Rights Movement as a sort of Invaders version of the Crew. So far it's just Misty and Storm and the story gives a completely believable reason to connect them and this case.
I like the issues Sam Wilson and Nighthawk tackle, but this book tackles the issues in a way where the writers' backgrounds just ooze through the game. It's also set up in a way where it could only get one volume and tell a complete story. The art is really good and Misty is written extremely well.

Top Bottom