• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Sandfox

Damn. That article really pissed some off...

So that means BC is gonna milk it for all its worth. What little it has.

Well they already made like eight articles out of it and "mysteriously" left out the bit about Marvel not having any events planned after Secret Empire. They also wrote one that accused shop owners of hating diversity because the majority of them are straight white males.

Not a great look, it must be said.

Need to get back into it. Got discouraged at the first time I encountered a Destroyer.
Even the people who browse BC don't like Jude Terror so that tells you something.

oh my lord, I'm like 53 hours into Mass Effect Andromeda. Time to wrap this up tonight while Persona 5 downloads.

Doesn't it get tiring to play one dating sim right after another?

nbfNVGF.gif

mreddie

Nick Spence sounds like a Axel's biggest fan and yet Kate Leth points out crowdfunding and self publishing are upcoming factors as well as echoing GWWs YA comic market.

Ooh boy...

Sandfox

Nick Spence sounds like a Axel's biggest fan and yet Kate Leth points out crowdfunding and self publishing are upcoming factors as well as echoing GWWs YA comic market.

Ooh boy...

To me it seems like Spencer is just bothered by the way certain sites are reporting what Gabriel said and people saying things like "just market books more" without understanding how that works or "just write good books" in response.

Slam! #4: this book has no business being so good. It's kind of ridiculous.

Cry Havoc: I've read 1-5 so far. So excited to read #6 but also, like, too excited to read it and then have it be over. Also, scared of how it will end.

Though the art was... a departure, I quite enjoyed Old Man Logan #19 and #20. Sad that it appears as though Sorrentino isn't riding this book through to #24, where I plan to GTFO.

Death of Wolverine: The Weapon X Program: Read this because I was given The Logan Legacy for my birthday and this lead up to that. It was meh.

Death of Wolverine: The Logan Legacy: This was pretty cool. My favorite parts were the chapter with Mystique and Destiny and the Lady Deathstrike chapter. I fucking love Lady Deathstrike for some reason. Partly because of the old 90's cartoon. I wonder if I'm allowed to love her. It is a racist portrayal of a Japanese character? A caricature of sorts? One thing I'm sure of is that Daken is a turd.

Millar's Old Man Logan: Yep, I did it, I read through this bad boy. And it was... awesome? I was dismayed by how much i enjoyed it. Of course, it helped that I knew what I was getting in to. I have read (and loathed) Millar before. But this was all kinds of wicked, disgusting fun. This guy has so many good and also terrible ideas.

Kind of embarrassing what a Wolverine kick I've been on lately.

jurgen

oh my lord, I'm like 53 hours into Mass Effect Andromeda. Time to wrap this up tonight while Persona 5 downloads.

I'm struggling to force myself to play it. I just
finished the first vault
and am completely uninterested.

Even the MP, which I spent an ungodly amount of time on in ME3 feels off.

Persona 5 is tempting but I haven't even started Zelda and I told myself I'm going to start reading Sweet Tooth and Being Nixon this week .

Blue Beetle #2-7

so_good.jpg

That incredibly over-the-top quippiness from the Rebirth and #1 went away quickly, replaced by solid Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle nonsense and balderdash. I love it. Giffen's also somewhat surprisingly good at writing the big epic dialogue from Mordecai, Fait, and
Arion
. Gimme more.

only caught the tail end of it, but his spotlight panel at Wondercon was basically a lecture. no moderator, all him talking about real "Understanding Comics" comic book process stuff. It ruled because he's also an engaging speaker

getting excited about comics is the biggest April Fool
His episode on X-Plain The X-Men where he talked about Legacy and X-Force was great.

shingi70

Banned
Well they already made like eight articles out of it and "mysteriously" left out the bit about Marvel not having any events planned after Secret Empire. They also wrote one that accused shop owners of hating diversity because the majority of them are straight white males.

Even the people who browse BC don't like Jude Terror so that tells you something.

To be fair are we supposed to take marvel at face value about not having events. Wasn't civil War 2 wrote pretty quickly to have something in the pipeline. Since Secert Wars there have been at least six or seven events in the span of a year.

Someone on Twitter mentioned how it was weird Nick Spencer is being so loyal to Marvel when he isn't exclusive to them. I thought he was exclusive.

Sou Da

Someone on Twitter mentioned how it was weird Nick Spencer is being so loyal to Marvel when he isn't exclusive to them. I thought he was exclusive.
He's on schedule for Morning Glories/The Fix and according to him DC treated him and some colleagues very poorly. Makes sense to me.

That reminds me that I've never checked how much his non-Marvel work nowadays is ordered in singles or trades. I wonder if it's higher up than Cap Falcon or Cap Steve?

He's on schedule for Morning Glories/The Fix and according to him DC treated him and some colleagues very poorly. Makes sense to me.
What DC books did he do? Never hear anyone talking about his time there so I'm guessing he only did like 20 issues spread over a bunch of books?

shingi70

Banned
That reminds me that I've never checked how much his non-Marvel work nowadays is ordered in singles or trades. I wonder if it's higher up than Cap Falcon or Cap Steve?

What DC books did he do? Never hear anyone talking about his time there so I'm guessing he only did like 20 issues spread over a bunch of books?

He wrote Thunder Agents for DC.

Sou Da

I honestly can't remember, I think he started on Supergirl and for some reason they wanted him to do a Thunder Agents book after his first issue on that. He probably did some stuff before that.

I really liked Fresh Romance. Especially Bennett's story, Beauties. Gillen's 4 page short had an amazing concept too. And all of them looked great.

How does this work though? Have all the single issues been collected into the first volume or are the trades just some of the stories from the monthly releases? Looks like only the first part of Ruined was in the trade but I don't see the continuation listed in the 2nd volume on kickstarter. (I think I do prefer the shorter length stories though to the serials).

The only DC book I know he did was a Jimmy Olsen oneshot. Did he do anything else?

shingi70

Banned
Isn't that a IDW property?

The property has bounced between quite a few publishers.

Spencer might not be exclusive, but dude us Marvels biggest non Bendis writer at this point. He also might see the current attacks at Marvel as attacks on him considering dude has had his foot in his mouth these past few months.

Messi

I really liked Fresh Romance. Especially Bennett's story, Beauties. Gillen's 4 page short had an amazing concept too. And all of them looked great.

How does this work though? Have all the single issues been collected into the first volume or are the trades just some of the stories from the monthly releases? Looks like only the first part of Ruined was in the trade but I don't see the continuation listed in the 2nd volume on kickstarter. (I think I do prefer the shorter length stories though to the serials).

The publisher recently went out of business

I have the kickstarter volume but haven't read it all the way through. Been waiting to get to the Bennett and Trungles story at the back. Shame about Rosy Press going under but apparently Janelle Asselin was pretty terrible to work with. Seems some of the creators are happy to see that Fresh Romance was sold (?) to a different publisher

Owzers

You've made me do the unthinkable, buy and read comics. Bought cry havoc and dying and the dead #1s, I will read them before rrrrrrromanmania tonight.

only caught the tail end of it, but his spotlight panel at Wondercon was basically a lecture. no moderator, all him talking about real "Understanding Comics" comic book process stuff. It ruled because he's also an engaging speaker.

Rad!

You've made me do the unthinkable, buy and read comics. Bought cry havoc and dying and the dead #1s, I will read them before rrrrrrromanmania tonight.

I'm sure you will hate them but yay!

Had a bit of a think about volume 4 of Deadly Class. Can't really say anything without going full spoilers:

I would be totally okay with the book ending here. Obviously the nature of it not ending here means there's a few things missing to make it a fully satisfying conclusion - no backstory for Saya being the main thing that comes to mind. As a 4 volume exploration into depression, anxiety, what it means to belong and be part of a group. How quickly it can turn on you, how quickly you can turn on it, and in general how shitty people can be - or not be at the very end when there's nothing to gain from being good. It's a pretty fucking great piece of fiction. i'm not sure volume 4 worked beat for beat every moment for me, but in saying what it's trying to say I think it's 100% a home run. That 21 issue run is definitely the best thing I've ever read by Remender. I love as well at the end that not only does Marcus walk off into the sunset, but the suggestion that they go to see the swans. There's times Remender beats these moments a little too hard on the head throughout the run but this one is perfect, and really shows how much Marcus has changed and learned - about who he is, what he wants and what he's had over the last year.

So I guess I'm just left wondering: Is Marcus definitely dead. I honestly still wonder if Maria is dead, the way they left off with her. Billy & Willie definitely seem dead as hell. A crazy savage introspective 4 volumes. As I mentioned, I'd be happy if it just literally ended but at the same time, it's exciting to see what's next. I wonder if Saya will be the *main* now or if it's new characters.

Top Bottom