• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Kssio_Aug

I loved Secret Empire

Am I the only one?

Didn't read it myself, but I've seen some people saying it's actually very good.

Messing up with the essential of Captain America is worrisome though. HOWEVER, I think Marvel writers will find a way to twist this sooner or later. I really doubt they would want to pemanently destroy Steve's image, given how important the chracters is.

Edit:
But there's that. So who knows! lmao
Maybe Marvel staff is going crazy.

it's like they're taking every option on the table to walk that shit back and throwing them all away

what the fuck is wrong with them

what are they doing

at this point they know for a fact that most people hate their shitty fucking stunt

evidently, DC is much more effective at doing shitty stunts that disrespect their most beloved IP

This is a stupid comment and you should do better

How so? There's no way this story isn't going to end up with all of being erased. It literally started with a cosmic cube. It will have no ramifications on any of these characters. Pretend it doesn't exist because seven months from now it will be like it never did.

There are so many other, wildly more satisfying comics to enjoy.

ALSO, I'm on record for being like horrifically offended by Civil War II: The Oath so don't play that I'm taking this sort of thing lightly.

It's just, the horse is out of the barn. Enjoy it for the Acuna art (which is perfect) or just read good comics instead.

How so? There's no way this story isn't going to end up with all of being erased. It literally started with a cosmic cube. It will have no ramifications on any of these characters. Pretend it doesn't exist because seven months from now it will be like it never did.

There are so many other, wildly more satisfying comics to enjoy.

I mean, like, best case scenario, sure. But in the mean time it's SUPER FUCKED UP in a bunch of ways, so maybe let people be angry about that?

You're half right, at least!

P. sure I'm whole right, friend.

ALSO, I'm on record for being like horrifically offended by Civil War II: The Oath so don't play that I'm taking this sort of thing lightly.

It's just, the horse is out of the barn. Enjoy it for the Acuna art (which is perfect) or just read good comics instead.
What's the art schedule for the next issues? It was a new artist on each, right?

I mean, like, best case scenario, sure. But in the mean time it's SUPER FUCKED UP in a bunch of ways, so maybe let people be angry about that?

Hey, go ahead. I'm not stopping them.

But if you can only expend a certain number of words each day (and you can, it's simple math), wouldn't you rather spend them in promotion of something worthwhile and not pointing out the obvious shortcomings of a creative enterprise that can not and will not be changed and will mean absolutely nothing this time next year?

Unless we're talking about X-Men Gold and it's being reviewed by a writer of such elephantine brilliance that those words simply must be expended and shared with the world.

But if you can only expend a certain number of words each day (and you can, it's simple math), wouldn't you rather spend them in promotion of something worthwhile and not pointing out the obvious shortcomings of a creative enterprise that can not and will not be changed and will mean absolutely nothing this time next year?

Unless we're talking about X-Men Gold and it's being reviewed by a writer of such elephantine brilliance that those words simply must be expended and shared with the world.

I thought it was fine. Gorgeously rendered, of course. People "upset" about this story must have literally never read a comic book before.

Putting "upset" in quotes and alleging that anybody angry about it must not have read a comic does sorta seem like you're telling people that they have no right to be "upset" tho.

Pointing out that other people may not want to spend $50+ on something that will mean absolutely nothing in a year seems a worthwhile enterprise.

Putting "upset" in quotes and alleging that anybody angry about it must not have read a comic does sorta seem like you're telling people that they have no right to be "upset" tho.

lol i guess it does at that

Pointing out that other people may not want to spend $50+ on something that will mean absolutely nothing in a year seems a worthwhile enterprise.

wait is that what i was doing or what y'all are doing

Yeah the bolded is mine now. It's too good.

shingi70

Banned
I didn't always go on fanboy rants about comic books when talking to friends. Usually I go on self indlugent dissuasion when comics come up. But I was talking to a coworker who's really on the edgy type who loves grim dark shit, and when talking about comics he said in his opinion D.C. Comics should always be dark. When he uttered that something in side me broke and I went on a big ass rant about how that's only Zack Snyder and the comics D.C. Has always been pretty light hearted till the 2000s, at least in comparison to marvel.

whats a good non brubaker Captain America run. I was thinking of reading the roger stern stuff.

Got round to the first issue of Godshaper last night and well.......its something, I think a few more rereads are definitely required, theres so much world building and crazyness thrown at you in the issue I couldn't really say whether I like it or not yet. I will say that bud and his love of hats is pretty damn cute though.

I was looking for something a bit more light hearted and in an adventure style as a change from what I've been reading recently and from reading the recommendations a few pages back I think Bandette could definitely be it. Comic GAF saves the day again.

Thanks for the thoughts on Godshaper. The Spire is very similar in the world building aspects and not everything about how things work is revealed immediately, but I did find in that book there was a really clear emotional through line with the characters that kept everything in focus and compelling from the start, while Spurrier weaved the weird world in and out issue to issue, not to mention the plot he holds back intentionally. So I'm not surprised what Godshaper maybe kicks off similarly, if this is a fair comparison?

That Bandette page did look hilarious haha

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Secret Empire #0 was pretty great. The Avengers are really being put on their heels in this one. The controversy over the book is hilarious to me. Its as if there haven't been a million mind-controlled hero turns into a villain stories before. Fucking marks.

I didn't always go on fanboy rants about comic books when talking to friends. Usually I go on self indlugent dissuasion when comics come up. But I was talking to a coworker who's really on the edgy type who loves grim dark shit, and when talking about comics he said in his opinion D.C. Comics should always be dark. When he uttered that something in side me broke and I went on a big ass rant about how that's only Zack Snyder and the comics D.C. Has always been pretty light hearted till the 2000s, at least in comparison to marvel.

whats a good non brubaker Captain America run. I was thinking of reading the roger stern stuff.
DC has been both very dark and light. They've been a healthy combo of both. I would have just ignored the dude. I rarely bring up comics at work and if I do it's for just a short sentence of "oh well this happened once" and that's it.

People at my job don't share my hobbies.
Secret Empire #0 was pretty great. The Avengers are really being put on their heels in this one. The controversy over the book is hilarious to me. Its as if there haven't been a million mind-controlled hero turns into a villain stories before. Fucking marks.
The difference is that Cap isn't mind-controlled. He IS a Hydra agent. Universal continuity has been rewritten.

MG310

This is going to get weird. Free sketch to the first 10 people though.

C98RkY9XkAIbm8U.jpg

shingi70

Banned
DC has been both very dark and light. They've been a healthy combo of both. I would have just ignored the dude. I rarely bring up comics at work and if I do it's for just a short sentence of "oh well this happened once" and that's it.

People at my job don't share my hobbies.

There's quite a few people who share my hobbies at my job. He doesn't have many friends at work and he's cool enough just very socially awkward. He does make me give him the side eye every so often complaining about femnazis and sjws tuning his comics, games and anime.

He also said he didn't stop being a fan of Hulk Hogan for the Racism, but instead because he screwed up TNA. Midnight you were both black and me and a another co worker just stared for a second.

shingi70

Banned
Why doesn't Marvel just call books mini and Maxi series. Seems like alot of their bad PR about cancellations would be easier if they just said stuff like Kingpin or Star Lord were limited series.

caliph95

Why doesn't Marvel just call books mini and Maxi series. Seems like alot of their bad PR about cancellations would be easier if they just said stuff like Kingpin or Star Lord were limited series.
Something about minis not selling well someone mentioned on the thread so they don't announce it.

Ross61

Oh shit,
Leviathan
is active again.
JRJR got mixed feeling from me since the interview yesterday. And I usually cape for him, but what he said about diversity and saying "transgenders" left a bad taste in my mouth. Especially after fucking Didio and Capullo had some tactful and honest answers to diversity and representation in comics.

Top Bottom