• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Sandfox

That Mahvoo article is fire but I doubt Marvel will give a shit when they have a table of idiots.
Those things are the exact same things we've been hearing from retailers and various other people online. Marvel has been seeking feedback and obviously knows this stuff, but we'll have to see what they've learned and want to change post-SE.

mreddie

Those things are the exact same things we've been hearing from retailers and various other people online. Marvel has been seeking feedback and obviously knows this stuff, but we'll have to see what they've learned and want to change post-SE.

Sad part, THEY TOOK THIS LONG!

Since 2012!

Sandfox

Sad part, THEY TOOK THIS LONG!

Since 2012!
Things were going pretty well for them with the original Marvel Now. They got too comfortable and put in work to improve their line as well as rebuild trust in that books won't be interrupted among other things.

Do we know at this point who the father of Spider-Womans kid is?
She went to a sperm back and I don't think the story went any further than that.

Do we know at this point who the father of Spider-Womans kid is?
Random sperm donor. Yeah, they played it up pre-release with who the father was but there was never a reveal in the book.

If they want to say it's Peter or someone else a decade from now they're free to do so.

haha. I am also now googling OG btw. Two thing jumped out at me "Peter, whose life’s ambition is to become a garbageman" & "the children descend through a secret trapdoor into a strange underground world of mushrooms". I'm sold! I enjoyed that convo that came up last night, good stuff

I was the one who rec'd OG, brah.

It's the fact that he's a Jewish created American superhero who was created as an outlet to fight facism who is currently being written by a guy who is saying that he was always secretly a part of Hydra (which, regardless of whatever changes they made, was spun out of a Nazi science division in the comics), during a time where white nationalism is visible in the United States, and it reads like it's a story written for those people, by a person with really sketchy personal views and a company with ties to a pro-Trump (I.e. Racist and crazy as fuck) supporter in Ike Pearlmutter. It's super trashy, and it's not even written particularly well.

It reminds me of during the republican rallies when those "waves" were being thrown up, and the retort was always "No you've got it all wrong! It's not a Nazi salute! It's just a wave! 😉😉😉" this story is "Oh, it's not white nationalist propaganda, it's a comic book story! 😉😉😉"

It's absolute filth and legit gutter trash.

Thanks for breaking this down. I didn't really get what the hubbub was about. Now I do and gross.

Got round to the first issue of Godshaper last night and well.......its something, I think a few more rereads are definitely required, theres so much world building and crazyness thrown at you in the issue I couldn't really say whether I like it or not yet. I will say that bud and his love of hats is pretty damn cute though.

I hear this. I picked up Godshaper #1 when I was in the mood for a quick fun read between chores. I should know better with Spurrier. It sunk in better when I reread it. Now I love it so much. Especially the end how he
turns around on the bike and heroes up
. Can't wait to see what happens.

Hey, go ahead. I'm not stopping them.

But if you can only expend a certain number of words each day (and you can, it's simple math), wouldn't you rather spend them in promotion of something worthwhile and not pointing out the obvious shortcomings of a creative enterprise that can not and will not be changed and will mean absolutely nothing this time next year?

I agree that we don't talk enough about the comics that are awesome. I would like to hear more about awesome comics and what makes them awesome, etc. There is too much bitching and moaning. But we all bitch and moan sometimes because we have strong preferences. This Cap stuff is bigger than any of that, though. This Cap stuff sounds majorly offensive.

Thanks for the thoughts on Godshaper. The Spire is very similar in the world building aspects and not everything about how things work is revealed immediately, but I did find in that book there was a really clear emotional through line with the characters that kept everything in focus and compelling from the start, while Spurrier weaved the weird world in and out issue to issue, not to mention the plot he holds back intentionally. So I'm not surprised what Godshaper maybe kicks off similarly, if this is a fair comparison?

There's a lot of mind-jogging world building in Godshaper #1. If you lose the important pieces along the way, the event at the end won't land and there goes your emotional impact. Such can be the way with smart comics.

Sandfox

Astonishing X-Men has a really interesting premise and I see the different artist can be showcased in it.

The Jean/Cyclops/Wolverine love triangle still being a thing makes me sad.

I have always seen that relationship as a representation of their youth so I'm fine with it.

Hagi

The Jean/Cyclops/Wolverine love triangle still being a thing makes me sad.

It's kind of sad they rely on so much of what came before when they could literally do whatever they want with the O5. Adding another Wolverine to the mix just makes me roll my eyes.

Messi

Random sperm donor. Yeah, they played it up pre-release with who the father was but there was never a reveal in the book.

If they want to say it's Peter or someone else a decade from now they're free to do so.

The reveal was the fact that she went that route and had wanted to go that way. I love those pages almost as much as the birth pages.

mdgA93B.jpg

rIYEmJB.jpg

I was the one who rec'd OG, brah.

There's a lot of mind-jogging world building in Godshaper #1. If you lose the important pieces along the way, the event at the end won't land and there goes your emotional impact. Such can be the way with smart comics.

Haha noted, I'll keep this in mind when the trade comes along. And I totally knew you brought up OG btw, I just picked a random quote to tune back into the convo, but I meant it as much directed to you as I did Echo!

Sat and read through Prophet vol 1 by Brandon Graham and well, a bunch of artists. This book was fucking cool. I'll admit up front I did actually read the original series as a preteen so I have a kind of faux nostalgia for the character in the face of knowing it was pretty bad and generic future soldier sent back type thing. You don't need to know any of that though since Graham jumps thousands of years into the future and totally mixes up the premise.

The initial 3 issues of the book with Simon Roy follow Prophet as he awakes in a strange and alien world that's full of danger and the odd. There's almost no dialogue and literally no insight into Prophet's thought process; instead the book uses a cold to the point narrative to keep you at arms length. Prophet is a man on a mysterious mission that even he's unsure of what the it's true nature is, just that's he's got to be somewhere, and the reader is watching that journey unfold. The narrative style works to emphasis how alien this world is to Prophet and how alien he is to us. Tons of weird shit is encountered, like a submerged mold society with castes based on smell, and there is constant huh moments that make you want to know more about how something works before Prophet is onto the next step in his journey. All of this cumulates in a very clever twist that I'll spoil tag, although I doubt anyone is bothered about the set up twist for a year's old book:
at the end of #3, it's revealed Prophet is just one clone of hundreds of prophets seeded through the galaxy and his job was to activate them for a coming threat
. This relates to the rotating artist lineup as each artist
draws a different John Prophet when they're on the book.
This was a pretty cool moment and the way the story is told up until this moment makes a lot of sense as to why it kind of keeps the reader at arms length. Anyway, that's not the only big twist of the volume but I'll just say it really picked up with issue 3 and just got better and better, I really loved 5 and 6 especially and can't wait to see where it goes.

The artists on the book were fantastic, each bringing a different style to the book, with tons of detail, the whole team really do the scripts crazy creatures and locales justice. Roy has a great European look, while Milonogiannis has an awesome cyberpunky manga style that I loved. Without knowing the premise of the book, it was a worry knowing that there's many artist changes, but after reading the whole volume, and how the book is conceived to not just accodomate but wholey exist for other artists to come onboard and change the art style, the narrative style and so on is fantastic. Overall a big thumbs up, I really like what they established here, especially the second half. Hopefully vol 2 is as good or even better now things are rolling.

Haha noted, I'll keep this in mind when the trade comes along. And I totally knew you brought up OG btw, I just picked a random quote to tune back into the convo, but I meant it as much directed to you as I did Echo!

Sat and read through Prophet vol 1 by Brandon Graham and well, a bunch of artists. This book was fucking cool. I'll admit up front I did actually read the original series as a preteen so I have a kind of faux nostalgia for the character in the face of knowing it was pretty bad and generic future soldier sent back type thing. You don't need to know any of that though since Graham jumps thousands of years into the future and totally mixes up the premise.

The initial 3 issues of the book with Simon Roy follow Prophet as he awakes in a strange and alien world that's full of danger and the odd. There's almost no dialogue and literally no insight into Prophet's thought process; instead the book uses a cold to the point narrative to keep you at arms length. Prophet is a man on a mysterious mission that even he's unsure of what the it's true nature is, just that's he's got to be somewhere, and the reader is watching that journey unfold. The narrative style works to emphasis how alien this world is to Prophet and how alien he is to us. Tons of weird shit is encountered, like a submerged mold society with castes based on smell, and there is constant huh moments that make you want to know more about how something works before Prophet is onto the next step in his journey. All of this cumulates in a very clever twist that I'll spoil tag, although I doubt anyone is bothered about the set up twist for a year's old book:
at the end of #3, it's revealed Prophet is just one clone of hundreds of prophets seeded through the galaxy and his job was to activate them for a coming threat
. This relates to the rotating artist lineup as each artist
draws a different John Prophet when they're on the book.
This was a pretty cool moment and the way the story is told up until this moment makes a lot of sense. Anyway, that's not the only big twist of the volume but I'll just say it really picked up with issue 3 and just got better and better, I really loved 5 and 6 especially and can't wait to see where it goes.

The artists on the book were fantastic, each bringing a different style to the book, with tons of details, the wheels team really do the scripts crazy creatures and locales justice. Roy has a great European look, which Milonogiannis has an awesome cyberpunky manga style that I loved. Without knowing the premise of the book, it was a worry knowing that there's many artist changes, but after reading the whole volumes, how the book is conceived for to not accodomate but while exist for other artists to come onboard and change the art style, the narrative style and so on is fantastic. Overall a big thumbs up, I really like what they established here, especially the second half. Hopefully vol 2 is as good or even better now things are rolling.

Yeah, it seems Graham brought some of his buddies along for the ride on Prophet. There's a group of tight knit cartoonists that live around my neck of the words. Such talents chaps. I've got a lot of their books and zines.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Probably the same "happy coincidence" that'll make Groot small again in time for the movie and his new book.
This is something I had for a longer time in my mind, but I am really interested to understand why you care so much about stupid small shit like this when you say all the time that dont you buy Marvel books anyway and are pretty obivious about it that you find something bad and awful in everything this company does?

DC does this by the way too, I think they had a Trinity series starting around BvS, had a Suicide Squad Rooster thats like in the movies and are pushing Wonder Woman hard right now.
And its ok.

Yeah, it seems Graham brought some of his buddies along for the ride on Prophet. There's a group of tight knit cartoonists that live around my neck of the words. Such talents chaps. I've got a lot of their books and zines.

Yea, reading some interviews by him, I think he is really into collaborating with others and getting them as much exposure as possible. I just really like that he's worked it into the core premise of the book on a narrative level, very clever. He actually did an issue in there himself which was really great too, and is the only issue that features first person narrative, as an example of using the artist change to Switch up how the story is being told beyond visually.

I actually totally missed the boat on Island and I feel really bad for not supporting it now.

(Shored up a bunch of typo's and flubbs in that writeup btw, I wrote it all on my phone and my autocorrect likes to play tricks on me haha)

This is something I had for a longer time in my mind, but I am really interested to understand why you care so much about stupid small shit like this when you say all the time that dont you buy Marvel books anyway and are pretty obivious about it that you find something bad and awful in everything this company does?

DC does this by the way too, I think they had a Trinity series starting around BvS, had a Suicide Squad Rooster thats like in the movies and are pushing Wonder Woman hard right now.
And its ok.

I know this is a typo, but I want to see a Suicide Squad Rooster at some point now. Maybe they could do an Animaniacs crossover and Chicken Boo could be Harley Quinn?

And its ok.
Because DC are pretty open about it these days. Also, I hate Marvel's marketing department and Alonso.

(Also I still picked up Nova)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Because DC are pretty open about it these days. Also, I hate Marvel's marketing department and Alonso.

(Also I still picked up Nova)
Thats a great reason to pile the smallest shit out of the internet, and even may it a rant that calls a jewish born writer a subhuman rat.

Its super annoying lately, seriously.

And yes, I know that you didnt do this because you agreed with that specific slur and wasnt aware of the context, its just mind boggeling that you post shit like this.

Thats a great reason to pile the smallest shit out of the internet, and even may it a rant that calls a jewish born writer a subhuman rat.

Its super annoying lately, seriously.

And yes, I know that you didnt do this because you agreed with that specific slur and wasnt aware of the context, its just mind boggeling that you post shit like this.
Have an interview by Marvel about USAvengers that says nothing we already didn't know. Ewing is bringing in his CoC characters. Hopefully the book won't be cancelled the moment SE is over.

Also, if you want to know why I post so little Marvel news? None of their big creators are nice to follow on twitter. Hell, Waid left for like the 6th time this year. Ewing almost never talks about his own books but is very talkative about other stuff which is nice.

You get more good Marvel stuff from IGN than Marvel.

Jesus @ those Moon Girl numbers. Those are some Ales Kot numbers right there

JRJR got mixed feeling from me since the interview yesterday. And I usually cape for him, but what he said about diversity and saying "transgenders" left a bad taste in my mouth. Especially after fucking Didio and Capullo had some tactful and honest answers to diversity and representation in comics.

"We're not doing any transgenders just yet" JRJR... please...

jurgen

Also, if you want to know why I post so little Marvel news? None of their big creators are nice to follow on twitter. Hell, Waid left for like the 6th time this year. Ewing almost never talks about his own books but is very talkative about other stuff which is nice.

Waid is a Bizarro version of that right-wing uncle you see get angry way too much on Facebook.

Hell, I agree with him on a lot of issues but he's so devoid of any positive feelings for anyone or anything that it's insufferable and could be an indicator for why a book with more social issues, like Champions is so so so bad...

I do like Ewing though. He seems happy to keep his head down, say nice things about his friends, and play in his own little sandbox no matter how many times they try to relaunch his books with a different title. I'd love to see him at DC on something like Legion of Superheroes.He juggles teams and high concept stuff in a very accessible way that I think no other writer at Marvel has been able to do since Gillen checked out.

Elsa Charretier taking that one way ticket to rebirth land soon.

Give Dini and her a Harley book or a Zatanna book and I will die happy.

Wasp is not long for this world. Marvel doesn't deserve Elsa.

Oh hell yes. I'd love to see Elsa on anything where she'd inevitably draw Zatanna.

Messi

She wasn't listed on the July issue

She just went to LA for a con/holiday so maybe that led to her skipping an issue. She still seems totally in on Wasp. I wouldn't see her leaving before the end.

Did you read this weeks I hate Fairyland?

Did any of you read the new Aftershock #1 called World Reader? I didn't but the art is by Juan Doe and it looks awesome. Reminds me a bit of Tradd Moore.

I see Hickmans Dying and the Dead is now listed as # out of 10.

tim1138

She just went to LA for a con/holiday so maybe that led to her skipping an issue. She still seems totally in on Wasp. I wouldn't see her leaving before the end.

Did you read this weeks I hate Fairyland?

I did, I posted the back matter where he made fun of Remender and Hickman. It was solid as usual with a great twist at the end. The next issue about what if Larry never met Gert should be a riot, I fully expect he'll be twice as miserable.

Top Bottom