• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Messi

I believe it. I haven't even looked at the June list yet. Persona 5 has kept me from doing a great many things. 60 hours in and still going!

THE OT IS FUCKING DONE. I JUST DONT HAVE IMAGES. WHAT THE FUCK.

DON'T YOU BAIL. I WILL HAVE YOU REPLACED.

giphy.gif

Did any of you read the new Aftershock #1 called World Reader? I didn't but the art is by Juan Doe and it looks awesome. Reminds me a bit of Tradd Moore.

I posted asking about this a few days ago but didn't get any responses </3 it does look fantastic though. Good time to show Loveness that Nova love.

Jesus that sounds depressing.

The only game I've finished so far this year is Mass Effect. Not Andromeda, the original Mass Effect. I started 2 and haven't touched it since the first time I played it.

I still buy games all the time though. Nothing hammers home my mental illness more than this.

The only game I've finished so far this year is Mass Effect. Not Andromeda, the original Mass Effect. I started 2 and haven't touched it since the first time I played it.

I still buy games all the time though. Nothing hammers home my mental illness more than this.

I've been struggling to keep up. Still need to go back and finish Yakuza 0 and playthrough 2 and 3 of Nier.

But the release schedule seems to be slowing down. Thinking about Dragon Quest Heroes II and Injustice 2.

I am still buying games too and I haven't played anything for more than 20 minutes except for Watch Dogs 2 since November. Crackdown 3 can't come out soon enough.

Malyse

I finished Style Savvy Fashion Forward. I'm a little disappointed with how quick I got to credits though. I *never* saw them in Trendsetters, plus I still have like 50+% of the game to unlock.

Yea, reading some interviews by him, I think he is really into collaborating with others and getting them as much exposure as possible. I just really like that he's worked it into the core premise of the book on a narrative level, very clever. He actually did an issue in there himself which was really great too, and is the only issue that features first person narrative, as an example of using the artist change to Switch up how the story is being told beyond visually.

I actually totally missed the boat on Island and I feel really bad for not supporting it now.

As you should.

Whoever told you that is telling barefaced lies.

Slam #8 Solicit:

giphy.gif

NO!

NOOOOOO

arkon

Haha noted, I'll keep this in mind when the trade comes along. And I totally knew you brought up OG btw, I just picked a random quote to tune back into the convo, but I meant it as much directed to you as I did Echo!

Sat and read through Prophet vol 1 by Brandon Graham and well, a bunch of artists. This book was fucking cool. I'll admit up front I did actually read the original series as a preteen so I have a kind of faux nostalgia for the character in the face of knowing it was pretty bad and generic future soldier sent back type thing. You don't need to know any of that though since Graham jumps thousands of years into the future and totally mixes up the premise.

The initial 3 issues of the book with Simon Roy follow Prophet as he awakes in a strange and alien world that's full of danger and the odd. There's almost no dialogue and literally no insight into Prophet's thought process; instead the book uses a cold to the point narrative to keep you at arms length. Prophet is a man on a mysterious mission that even he's unsure of what the it's true nature is, just that's he's got to be somewhere, and the reader is watching that journey unfold. The narrative style works to emphasis how alien this world is to Prophet and how alien he is to us. Tons of weird shit is encountered, like a submerged mold society with castes based on smell, and there is constant huh moments that make you want to know more about how something works before Prophet is onto the next step in his journey. All of this cumulates in a very clever twist that I'll spoil tag, although I doubt anyone is bothered about the set up twist for a year's old book:
at the end of #3, it's revealed Prophet is just one clone of hundreds of prophets seeded through the galaxy and his job was to activate them for a coming threat
. This relates to the rotating artist lineup as each artist
draws a different John Prophet when they're on the book.
This was a pretty cool moment and the way the story is told up until this moment makes a lot of sense as to why it kind of keeps the reader at arms length. Anyway, that's not the only big twist of the volume but I'll just say it really picked up with issue 3 and just got better and better, I really loved 5 and 6 especially and can't wait to see where it goes.

The artists on the book were fantastic, each bringing a different style to the book, with tons of detail, the whole team really do the scripts crazy creatures and locales justice. Roy has a great European look, while Milonogiannis has an awesome cyberpunky manga style that I loved. Without knowing the premise of the book, it was a worry knowing that there's many artist changes, but after reading the whole volume, and how the book is conceived to not just accodomate but wholey exist for other artists to come onboard and change the art style, the narrative style and so on is fantastic. Overall a big thumbs up, I really like what they established here, especially the second half. Hopefully vol 2 is as good or even better now things are rolling.

Yeah. It's really good stuff. The type of stuff that fires my imagination. I loved the worldbuilding and concepts they throw into each issue. Proper alien societies and all that jazz. I don't even remember what compelled me to pick it up when it was being released in floppies (I had no experience with the character or universe) but I was so glad I did.

It's what had me so excited about the 8house books but that seems to have petered out amid all the delays.

edit: if you liked that I'd also recommend Habitat by Simon Roy. It was published in Island first. Has a similar flavour to Prophet. Really cool stuff.

Yeah. It's really good stuff. The type of stuff that fires my imagination. I loved the worldbuilding and concepts they throw into each issue. Proper alien societies and all that jazz. I don't even remember what compelled me to pick it up when it was being released in floppies (I had no experience with the character or universe) but I was so glad I did.

It's what had me so excited about the 8house books but that seems to have petered out amid all the delays.

edit: if you liked that I'd also recommend Habit by Simon Roy. It was published in Island first. Has a similar flavour to Prophet. Really cool stuff.

Oh awesome, I'll give Habitat a look! I was trying to look for stuff that's been in Island that might be collected but they don't seem to be organising those trades on the Image site so it's a bit of a pain. Did you read all the way through Prophet, up to Earth War? I literally just jumped in on this stuff because it always seemed like a good way to try a bunch of different artists, it wasn't even really the link to the old book.

Btw if you're interested I wrote a bit about 8house this week, including a general writeup yesterday before these Prophet books I was reading the 3 trades that came out of 8house. At least Mirror is still going, I think a new issue came out this week.

Messi

I just discovered we have the first trade of this at work. I'd give it a shot but I don't want to get it cancelled for you guys. LoL

Give it a shot. Its really heartfelt and genuine. I love all 3 main characters. But there is only one true best character....
Its Esther

I'm almost positive that you'd love it. It's very slice of life, delightful people and their college misadventures.

I am sure that I would. I just need to get to it.

I might just slide everything else to the left and try the first arc this weekend. It sounds like what I want to read tonight.

Edit: yyyyep it is happening. Comics!

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Give it a shot. Its really heartfelt and genuine. I love all 3 main characters. But there is only one true best character....
Its Esther

It's on the list. We also have the first two trades each of Tynions "The Woods" and Bandette that I want to read.

edit: if you liked that I'd also recommend Habit by Simon Roy. It was published in Island first. Has a similar flavour to Prophet. Really cool stuff.

I am behind but I loved Habitat in Island! Island is amazing.

arkon

Oh awesome, I'll give Habitat a look! I was trying to look for stuff that's been in Island that might be collected but they don't seem to be organising those trades on the Image site so it's a bit of a pain. Did you read all the way through Prophet, up to Earth War? I literally just jumped in on this stuff because it always seemed like a good way to try a bunch of different artists, it wasn't even really the link to the old book.

Btw if you're interested I wrote a bit about 8house this week, including a general writeup yesterday before these Prophet books I was reading the 3 trades that came out of 8house. At least Mirror is still going, I think a new issue came out this week.

I've read up to the start of Earth War. It's one of those situations where I'm trying to draw out the experience I think. Will probably finish it at some point this year.

And yeah I saw your 8house thoughts earlier. It's what got me thinking about the wasted opportunity initially. I guess I just wanted more of it and maybe some longer running storylines (which we probably get with Mirror I suppose). I was excited by the possibilities of them cutting loose in their own created universe (not that they seemed to be inhibited with Prophet). I think I built it up in my mind too much (going back to the initial announcement at Image Expo 2014 I think?) and then was disillusioned with all the delays.

Top Bottom