• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

It is related. The cover of Issue #4 shows Hulk, Wolverine, and Silk all attacking Ghost Rider. I imagine the cover is deceptive but they're all still fighting that purple monster, so this arc is only just beginning.

I typically evaluate single issues merely within the scope of what they accomplish on their own merits, and disregard any promises made for future issues.

As a single issue I think this failed to make a convincing case for a new Robbie Reyes series. Which is too bad because the character has always had it in him to be great. If promises of what is coming work for you that's fine, but as far as I'm concerned they're meaningless. Every issue of a book should stand on its own as an entertaining story that is actually about the character(s) it is meant to feature.

mreddie

The interesting thing about Ghost Rider is that a major complaint about the original series was the lack of crossover and now it seems like Smith has gone too far in the other direction.

First run only had Blaze and Hyde and at the same time, Ms. Marvel had Wolverine, I feel those who complained about the lack of connection are the reason why this 1 has too much connection.

I typically evaluate single issues merely within the scope of what they accomplish on their own merits, and disregard any promises made for future issues.

As a single issue I think this failed to make a convincing case for a new Robbie Reyes series. Which is too bad because the character has always had it in him to be great. If promises of what is coming work for you that's fine, but as far as I'm concerned they're meaningless. Every issue of a book should stand on its own as an entertaining story that is actually about the character(s) it is meant to feature.

Eh I see a volume as a story so a single slow issue does not bother me at all but that's not me saying your critique is not legitimate I just wasn't sure if you knew that this issue was part of a greater arc. If you do know and just don't care then that is a whole other thing but the way you wrote your post implied you just did not know so that was a misunderstanding on my part

Eh I see a volume as a story so a single slow issue does not bother me at all but that's not me saying your critique is not legitimate I just wasn't sure if you knew that this issue was part of a greater arc. If you do know and just don't care then that is a whole other thing but the way you wrote your post implied you just did not know so that was a misunderstanding on my part

I actually didn't know so you were right ;)

I usually don't read solicits. I was just pointing out that it wouldn't change what I said.

Sandfox

First run only had Blaze and Hyde and at the same time, Ms. Marvel had Wolverine, I feel those who complained about the lack of connection are the reason why this 1 has too much connection.

It was one of the first things Smith mentioned when the book was announced. The most requested crossover is Kamala because a ton of people ship the two of them for some reason lol.

I actually didn't know so you were right ;)

I usually don't read solicits. I was just pointing out that it wouldn't change what I said.

Yeah I get that. I see things differently because I got into webcomics way before I got into comic books so I am used to having to wait a long time for payoff but that is not to excuse the quality of the issue itself. It was a really bad issue. That said I do disagree about the short story because I thought Nitro was an awesome villain who was just the kind of comic book ridiculous stupidity that ghost rider needs

Sandfox

6f7b82abc0bb22533003485f6a06cd55_xl.jpg
The story in this book was inspired by the shippers and was even written by Smith lol.

Now that I think at the cover, the creative teams for this book were pretty crazy though.

Dusknoir

I couldn't stop smiling during the Harley Quinn story in the Batman Annual. Makes me really wish someone else was on her book.

TheFlow

Banned
anybody interested interested in a comic-gaf secret santa using CMX.

just buy the person you got an issue or 2. lol

just an idea. don't shoot me

The story in this book was inspired by the shippers and was even written by Smith lol.

Now that I think at the cover, the creative teams for this book were pretty crazy though.
The one and only time you'll ever see a Mexican and Pakistani love story.

Hah, don't say that, I have Dishonored sitting for after. WD2 is definitely doing something for me though. Playing it completely different to the original too.

It's a good game. If you liked the first you'll like this one. But there's an adjustment period because they dialed the AI's detection abilities way up in this one.

PsychBat!

Banned
No, because they're nitpicking the fuck out of a book they haven't read yet. They really hate legacy heroes and of course, you think the X-Men talk is bad here? They're legit X-MEN RUINED FOREVA.

OOooo pre-judging a book. Well, I hope they're wrong.

mreddie

All fine and dandy but it really doesn't disprove that Marvel is releasing the type of books they're complaining about. I also didn't say that all the books Marvel will be putting out are that way either.

Okay, that makes sense, they're still playing the Ms. Marvel playbook while their rivals changed the playbook and are currently winning.

And enough of the Marvel is killing the X-Men OTs in the Discussion thread, ugh, enough.

mreddie

I was trying to be funny. I wasn't srs. The art style is cool imo. Marvel has a lot serious books too to balance it out and cutesy art or w.e is not exclusive to just women lead books

Internets has no understanding of sarcasm.

But yeah, there's a balance but I feel prejudging a book by its unfinished pages isn't bueno.

And yet, GAF prejudges everything in general so...*shrugs*

Also, are we gonna do any top books of 2016 or did that fall off a cliff?

TheFlow

Banned
Internets has no understanding of sarcasm.

But yeah, there's a balance but I feel prejudging a book by its unfinished pages isn't bueno.

And yet, GAF prejudges everything in general so...*shrugs*

Also, are we gonna do any top books of 2016 or did that fall off a cliff?
Prejudging books is why I wake up in the morning lol.

But yea cbr forums is like bleeding cool, Extreme Reddit, and the onion to me.

It would be cool if we could get categories to vote for messi, freeza, and rave

Messi

Prejudging books is why I wake up in the morning lol.

But yea cbr forums is like bleeding cool, Extreme Reddit, and the onion to me.

It would be cool if we could get categories to vote for messi, freeza, and rave

I'm sure y'all can figure it out. I'm too busy and don't do best of lists.

I'd be happy to gather the votes. I will come up with the categories...suggestions most welcome.

How do you guys want to do it? Point system?

We tried a top books thing before, I remember it being kinda weird

I'm fine with just doing personal lists like we did last year

Best Passable Rebirth Book We're All Overrating Because It Replaced Characterization with Iconography
Marvel Outreach Award for LGBTQ Acceptance
The 'Tec Award for Largest Quality Drop Off In a Series
The Terrigen Mist Award for the Most Damage Done to the X-Men Brand
The Chip Zdarsky Award for Best Twitter Exchange
The Brian Michael Bendis Award for the Longest, Least Consequential Event
The Inhuman Deportation Force Award
Douchiest CEO to Donate Money to Donald Trump Award
Southern Bastards Award for Best Representation of a Typical Trump Voter
The Harley Quinn Award for Worst Comic Character
The Gerard Way Award for Pseudo-Intellectual Masturbation
Shittiest Publisher Award--Just Kidding, It's Valiant
The Tom King Award for Character Development (aka The Vision)
The Tom King Award for Character Regression (aka The Batman)
The Watchmen Award for Outstanding Achievement in Fucking Over a Creator
The Brian K. Vaughan Award for the Best Writer in Comics
The Fiona Staples Award for Best Illustrated Genitalia

I could do this all night...

Best Passable Rebirth Book We're All Overrating Because It Replaced Characterization with Iconography
Marvel Outreach Award for LGBTQ Acceptance
The 'Tec Award for Largest Quality Drop Off In a Series
The Terrigen Mist Award for the Most Damage Done to the X-Men Brand
The Chip Zdarsky Award for Best Twitter Exchange
The Brian Michael Bendis Award for the Longest, Least Consequential Event
The Inhuman Deportation Force Award
Douchiest CEO to Donate Money to Donald Trump Award
Southern Bastards Award for Best Representation of a Typical Trump Voter
The Harley Quinn Award for Worst Comic Character
The Gerard Way Award for Pseudo-Intellectual Masturbation
Shittiest Publisher Award--Just Kidding, It's Valiant
The Tom King Award for Character Development (aka The Vision)
The Tom King Award for Character Regression (aka The Batman)
The Watchmen Award for Outstanding Achievement in Fucking Over a Creator
The Brian K. Vaughan Award for the Best Writer in Comics
The Fiona Staples Award for Best Illustrated Genitalia

I could do this all night...

The Eddie Berganza award for Longest Time a Sexual Harasser Keeps Their Job.

Top Bottom