• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

I generally don't like flying vehicles for display. The first big set I bought as an adult collector was the Avengers Quinjet (from the first movie, not the Airport Battle one) and I had some close calls with the landing gear rolling it close to off the shelf.

If it had a stand, that would be okay. Or if it could stand on its' own, like I have one of the older TIE Fighters on display right now (in between a non-LEGO Abrams Enterprise and the Enterprise-E for some reason....I need more Star Wars ships).

I used to feel the same, but I got the idea from the LEGO thread to stick them on clear acrylic risers. I haven't set it up yet, just hasn't been a high priority. They looked great in that legogaffer's pics though. And you can display more ships in a small space.

People design their own stands and that's something I've done myself...I'm just not very good at it ;p

Owzers

I'm like 60% sure I want to put either a Transformer or a cool LEGO set in one of the top squares of my bookcase:

(Also I need a better space for the amiibo that are gathering dust)
Your amiibos are fighting for their survival.

Big Man Plans was pretty good and concise, though the graphic nature keeps it from being a favorite of mine.

Messi

Deathstroke and Red hood being so low hurts me. I can't even see shade the changing girl on this list. You can tell retailers are holding back on orders when Marvel's own number ones don't creak the top 20. Unstoppable Wasp at 65 and Mighty Captian Marvel at 32. I know Batwoman should do fine cuz She derserves her own series but it still makes me worry.

I can't wait for Old Guard this week. Looks good. Hopefully there's no huge delays with this series.

Deserving a series has nothing to do with sales.

The ending of Batman #17 made me think of this, just the other way around.

36.png

Thank you. Unfortunately, being in Canada, IST is not a good deal for me between conversion and shipping. I'm super hyped knowing these exist, though. You bet your ass I will acquire these beauties this year.

I think The LEGO Batman Movie might be the best Batman movie ever.

I saw this last night. I went to a too-late showing so I don't know that I enjoyed it as much as I could have. Still great, though. Nothing tops the late-80's Keaton Batman for me. But I was like 12 when it came out so it seemed pretty extra amazing at the time. Sentimental recollection, y'know?

I will say, I think it's weird that two Lego movies in a row we have the hero
crushing hard unrequited on the straight-man-type leading female character. I mean, were Babs and Bats ever actually a thing? The last come-on especially before she dropped him.
Was that really necessary?

Haha sorry! I was so late seeing your reply, Tim answered not one but twice. I really would like those. I hold Sweet Tooth in pretty high regard too, certainly think he's yet to out do it with anything he's did since (although a) The Underwater Welder is damn good and b) I've yet to read Black Hammer) so I'd love to get them! The actual paperback trades are so meh too. Sitting right beside American Vampire and the how nice those are, it's just offensive.

There's a lot of Lemire I'm yet to read. The Underwater Welder is one I'm particularly excited for, as well as Essex County. Lemire is extra special to me because I also grew up in a cold, hockey-obsessed Canadian city. I really liked certain things about Trillium, but it was just ok overall. Same thing with his X-Men. I personally wish he was just a straight up cartoonist. Writing and drawing his own independent work.

Has Black Hammer been well received?

Vic_Viper

When does the Batman/Flash crossover begin? Thinking about pre ordering those lenticular covers!

Just got my Uncanny Avengers omnibus. Really wish they would reprint Uncanny X-Force now after picking this up. Really miss the Rememder & Hickman era of Marvel Comics. Hope they are working on getting them back for their Rebirth. Secret Wars would have been the best chance they had to do it imo. I don't think they will be able to recapture what they did with Hockman's run without it feeling forced or rushed.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers #12
Good issue as always. I guess
a bit confused on the alternate timeline chain of events, like the fact that they met Ninjor without ever transferring the powers and switching members. Or the Alien Rangers and the Phantom Ranger showing up. I'm wondering how this will affect the core timeline. Also, was that resistance crew Aisha, Trini, and Bulk? Interesting choices. Also that twist with Goldar.
This book just keeps swinging.

Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures #4
What a twist! This issue was okay. Some action. Not really all that funny, but the big bad was an interesting choice. Beyond that, I'm pretty much just waiting for this to be done.

Batwoman Rebirth #1
So this was pretty awesome. I'm pretty excited for this moving forward, though I'm not very knowledgable on Kate's mythos, so this was a good, quick primer. The only one I'm confused about is that they say "Gotham: After the Fall." What's "The Fall"? Is it Zero Year? No Man's Land? I'm curious as to what that's referring to.

Beyond that, I'm psyched.

It has been almost a year and there has been zero news of the FF. What is their current status? I had expected at least a mini-series or something.

List

Backstagers 7
Jim Henson's Power of the Dark Crystal 1
SLAM! 4

Deathstroke 13
Justice League of America 1
Teen Titans 5
Wonder Woman 17

Darkness Visible 1
TMNT Universe 7

The Belfry 1
Black Road 7
Curse Words 2
Drifter 17
The Few 2
The Fix 8
Loose Ends 2
Mayday 4
The Old Guard 1

Amazing Spider-Man 24
Black Panther 11
Captain Hydra 12
Elektra 1
Extraordinary X-Men 19
Hulk 3
Infamous Iron Man 5
IvX 5
Prowler 5
Rocket Raccoon 3
Spider-Gwen 17
Spider-Woman 16
Thanos 4
Uncanny Avengers 20

They should give Sam Wilson to Ewing after Secret Empire imho

Edit: hey by the way, PSA for fans of Image trades: the LAKE OF FIRE trade comes out this week. It's worth your valuable time.

I just think they'll want to put the focus on Steve as a heroic Captain America for a while.

Yeah we have very different takes on how that is going to play out. I think eventually Marvel is going to read the room. Steve is not credible as a leader right now and won't be for awhile, and that's pretty much his whole deal.

The character is in need of major rehab. They can't just wave a wand and make everything okay again. That would be terrible. I have higher expectations than that.

It would also be a terrible shame to throw away Sam's growth these past two years. He IS Captain America. Why would he even go back to being the Falcon? I don't think that makes any sense, sorry. Not to mention the optics of completely retiring SamCap for the sake of trying to wash all the Nazi out of Steve? Nope, I cannot believe they would be that dumb.

White nerds want the status quo back. And watch sales stay the same from the Remender era.

There can be a balance though. If there HAS to be a Steve book after Secret Empire, ugh, fine. That is not a good reason to completely retire SamCap for good.

Messi

Yeah we have very different takes on how that is going to play out. I think eventually Marvel is going to read the room. Steve is not credible as a leader right now and won't be for awhile, and that's pretty much his whole deal.

The character is in need of major rehab. They can't just wave a wand and make everything okay again. That would be terrible. I have higher expectations than that.

It would also be a terrible shame to throw away Sam's growth these past two years. He IS Captain America. Why would he even go back to being the Falcon? I don't think that makes any sense, sorry. Not to mention the optics of completely retiring SamCap for the sake of trying to wash all the Nazi out of Steve? Nope, I cannot belong they would be that dumb.

There can be a balance though. If there HAS to be a Steve book after Secret Empire, ugh, fine. That is not a good reason to completely retire SamCap for good.

You are giving Marvel way too much credit

mreddie

The Next Phase is rumored to be getting the gang back together with a mix of old and current heroes. I hope that Sam stays as Cap and they pull a Steve finding himself again but I've seen stupider shit.

Sandfox

It would also be a terrible shame to throw away Sam's growth these past two years. He IS Captain America. Why would he even go back to being the Falcon? I don't think that makes any sense, sorry. Not to mention the optics of completely retiring SamCap for the sake of trying to wash all the Nazi out of Steve? Nope, I cannot belong they would be that dumb.

I never said these things lol.

I'm expecting Steve's story post-SE to be about him working to redeem himself in the eyes of both other heroes and the public with Sam either helping him or out or leading his own team in another book.

Dusknoir

The Next Phase is rumored to be getting the gang back together with a mix of old and current heroes. I hope that Sam stays as Cap and they pull a Steve finding himself again but I've seen stupider shit.

Maybe turning him to Nomad would be the correct way to go. They can't just turn him back to Falcon. His been Cap for too long.

Any way you slice it

Steve Rogers has been a fascist his whole life. That is his story now, that is how cosmic cubes work

So we are talking about dueling narratives which for the past year have been, on one side, Sam, who is black, dealing with Obama-level racism and struggling for social justice, and on the other, Steve, who is white, the secret fascist plotting to take over the world (even exploiting Sam's suffering to further his cause).

You cannot flip that to, let's Make Steve Rogers Great Again in the one case while demoting the other character, perhaps even canceling his book entirely and turning him into a supporting character in the Make Steve Rogers Great Again story. I cannot believe they would be so dumb and frankly awful. That would be an awful thing.

TheFlow

Banned
Barnes and noble is doing a buy 2 get 1 free on all image trades.

Also if Sam goes back to being falcon I am outy on anything cap.

There can be two caps

Sandfox

Any way you slice it

Steve Rogers has been a fascist his whole life. That is his story now, that is how cosmic cubes work

So we are talking about dueling narratives which for the past year have been, on one side, Sam, who is black, dealing with Obama-level racism and struggling for social justice, and on the other, Steve, who is white the secret fascist plotting to take over the world.

You cannot flip that to, let's Make Steve Rogers Great Again in the one case while demoting the other character, perhaps even canceling his book entirely and turning him into a supporting character in the Make Steve Rogers Great Again story. I cannot believe they would be so dumb and frankly awful. That would be an awful thing.

The cosmic cube stuff will probably be undone. After thinking about it, I could see Sam keeping his book, but I think Marvel is going to cut back on multiple heroes sharing names. The big thing would be making sure you don't reduce his increased role.

Messi

List of eh:

Batgirl #8
Detective Comics #951
Justice League of America #1
Kamandi Challange #2
Suicide Squad #12
Supergirl Being Super #2
Teen Titans #5
Wonder Woman #17

Beauty #12 (New Arc, Haun back on art so it gets one more chance)
Curse Words #2
Descender #19
Fix #8
Loose Ends #2
Monstress #10
Old Guard #1
Shutter #27
Sun Bakery #1

Backstagers #7
Jughead #13
Slam #4
Tank Girl Gold #4

Very few books I am actually excited about :(

There's a lot of Lemire I'm yet to read. The Underwater Welder is one I'm particularly excited for, as well as Essex County. Lemire is extra special to me because I also grew up in a cold, hockey-obsessed Canadian city. I really liked certain things about Trillium, but it was just ok overall. Same thing with his X-Men. I personally wish he was just a straight up cartoonist. Writing and drawing his own independent work.

Has Black Hammer been well received?

Have you saw Roughneck yet, his new OGN he'll have out in May? Judging by what draws you to him, I think you'll be very happy. Welder is great, really worth reading that one, and there's a nice HC to boot now too. I quite like the nobody but I'm not sure if that's actually in print these days. Trillium was okayish, I wasn't too taken with it, sadly. I take his superhero work with a pinch of salt, every now and again he'll strike gold, but with entire runs of wheel spinning inbetween. I just don't think work for hire naturally flows well with his strengths and sensibilities, and I see where you're coming from with the idea of his as a pure cartoonist. Black Hammer definitely seemed well received by the thread in it's first few months! Haven't saw too much since but that might be as much me not reading as people being quiet on it. I actually still have Descender vol 2 sitting that I haven't dug into, quite excited for that one.

Boogiepop

Well, I did something I've never done before and arbitrarily bought an old floppy. Wandered into a comic store with friends, and saw that they actually had this, which is my favorite of all the crazy insane old covers, so I impulse bought it to put in a frame or something:
latest

Also, let me take this opportunity to say... Comixology really needs to put up all the old Superman's Pal/Girlfriend stuff, as I would absolutely buy a ton of them to get at the craziness promised by the old covers that get frequently passed around the internet.

TheFlow

Banned
List

Backstagers 7
Jim Henson's Power of the Dark Crystal 1
SLAM! 4

Deathstroke 13
Justice League of America 1
Teen Titans 5
Wonder Woman 17

Darkness Visible 1
TMNT Universe 7

The Belfry 1
Black Road 7
Curse Words 2
Drifter 17
The Few 2
The Fix 8
Loose Ends 2
Mayday 4
The Old Guard 1

Amazing Spider-Man 24
Black Panther 11
Captain Hydra 12
Elektra 1
Extraordinary X-Men 19
Hulk 3
Infamous Iron Man 5
IvX 5
Prowler 5
Rocket Raccoon 3
Spider-Gwen 17
Spider-Woman 16
Thanos 4
Uncanny Avengers 20
Had to stop scrolling because I saw black road on a list :|

TheFlow

Banned
Oh gee well that makes you so much more credible. LOL
It is fresher in my memory. Considering the book went on a short break in November right? Or was it sooner!

I am sale waiting the series. Story had promise but it got too generic. I can find a similar plot, violence, and art in another image book

Like Messi said different strokes and what not. But I am lot pickier now with my books. Want the best of the best per week

Messi

It is fresher in my memory. Considering the book went on a short break in November right? Or was it sooner!

I am sale waiting the series. Story had promise but it got too generic. I can find a similar plot, violence, and art in another image book

Like Messi said different strokes and what not. But I am lot pickier now with my books. Want the best of the best per week

Why bother sale waiting? It doesn't seem like you enjoyed it at all.

Can you point me in the direction of similar art in Image books? I would love to see more of it. His art is very distinctive to me.

TheFlow

Banned
Why bother sale waiting? It doesn't seem like you enjoyed it at all.

Can you point me in the direction of similar art in Image books? I would love to see more of it. His art is very distinctive to me.
Image issues are cheap. I liked it enough but not enough to buy full price.

I am on mobile. I can't link shit so sorry

Edit: my favorite thing about it is the setting. After coming from lake of fire I was looking for something similar. Reminds me of Vinland saga(manga) which I recommend for anyone interested in Vikings. It is even more violent than black road

Top Bottom