• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

Any way you slice it

Steve Rogers has been a fascist his whole life. That is his story now, that is how cosmic cubes work

Nope. People seem to be struggling with this one, but what happened was made clear in Captain America: SR #2.

uqfc0Eo.png

UeMuTar.png

The same thing that happened to Rogers happened to Selvig. Memories were changed, not history. Selvig THINKS he's been serving the Red Skull his entire history and he's always been Hydra. Skull thinks he's batshit insane, until Kobik tells him what she did to him.

Skull is able to look within Selvig's mind and see memories that "could not have possibly" happened, because Skull and everyone else is perfectly aware of ACTUAL history. Selvig isn't Hydra and never was- he just thinks he is, and the Hydra he remembers serving is the rose tinted fictional version that Red Skull made up to influence Kobik, not the ACTUAL one that was basically Nazis and murderers. Marvel history was not changed by the cube.

This is different than say...telepathic mind control (which skull can do, because of the xavier's brain thing) because with telepathic mind control the original mind and memories will eventually reassert themselves. In this case the memories aren't "false", they're the only ones that exist. There is no "original" memory or personality to reassert itself.

Messi

Catching up on Sam Cap and I am enjoying this way more than the Steve book. Love the art too. Sam's costume continues to be amazing.

mreddie

Finally read Bendis Moon Knight, not bad, I think this would have have been better had I not known the #1 twist early on.

Also, holy shit, the costumed fan in the police station is a running gag with Bendis is it?

VanWinkle

Just finished Deadpool by Duggan/Posehn OHC Vol. 2. Great stuff. The writers do a good job of bringing some emotion to such a silly character. And man I just love the retro issues. This one had a Kirby-type thing going and it cracked me up.

Sandfox

Just finished Deadpool by Duggan/Posehn OHC Vol. 2. Great stuff. The writers do a good job of bringing some emotion to such a silly character. And man I just love the retro issues. This one had a Kirby-type thing going and it cracked me up.
That's what I love about Duggan's run on Deadpool.

Messi

That's what I love about Duggan's run on Deadpool.

There is an issue in the most recent run that deals with suicide and it's really touching.

Duggan knows what he is doing with Deadpool.

TheFlow

Banned
Got to a computer Messi.

looking at my most recent comics

Black Road's art reminds me of :

lake of fire

God Country

birthright

this is from my first page of most recently read comics.

Is Selina a member of the Bat family? She bounces between ally and antagonist on a fairly regular basis. Though I suppose if Huntress counts (which I do count her), then Selina would count, yeah?

I know it's a random question, but it popped into my head just now.

Owzers

Was posted in the figure thread but just going to leave it in here as well.

Mattel actually showed Batwoman some respect. New sculpt and new articulation.
Was that other head on the ground the old sculpt because that looks pretty bad.

The ww movie figure with the gold outfit seems nice, I might get that so I can have a reminder of how good the solo movie is on my shelf.

Torres draws a killer Wilson Fisk. The way he shifts from genteel to monstrous and back again is really stunning.

That's about the only good thing I can say of Kingpin #1, which I thought was a pretty bad comic. Neither Rosenberg nor Torres really seem like they know what they want to do with the pov character, and as a result she's a checklist of traits who is just sort of there to drive the story and occasionally serve as a strawman.

Much like Bullseye, the plot angle for this book is mundane and boring. So disappointing after the excellent CWII mini that preceded it.

deleted

You can try Transmetropolitan - Great cyberpunk.

Fables - Fantasy. It has two major arcs. The first one from #1-#75, and another from #76-150. I've only read the first one and it is great.

Alan Moore's Top Ten is another fun series. A mix of police procedural and superhero genres.

Love and Rockets: Locas by Jaime Hernandez - Hard to describe this. It is a mix of sci-fi, magical realism and slice-of-life.

All of these can be read standalone and are complete! I've tried to recommend from different genres.

There are also some very good on-goings that you can read too. Self contained and no "branching" lines to read along, so you can start right at the beginning - like Astro City and Usagi Yojimbo.

If you're interested in Watchmen, I'd also recommend Enigma by Peter Milligan. It's also a superhero deconstruction and I like it a lot more.

BPRD is awesome BTW. It starts kind of rough but once they bring in Arcudi as a writer it improves dramatically. It stays consistently great all the way to the end of Hell on Earth which just ended recently. It's just as good as Hellboy in its own ways.

Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force.

Some recommendations:

Planetary by Warren Ellis and John Cassady - A 27 issue series that follows a secret organization that uncovers the mysteries of the world. It borrows pretty frequently from pop culture and Marvel/DC, but you don't need to get the references to enjoy the book.

Meteor Men by Jeff Parker and Sandy Jarrell - A teenage coming of age story set against the backdrop of an alien invasion

The Omega Men by Tom King and Barnaby Bagenda - A 12 issue space opera full of political intrigue.

Fear Agent by Rick Remender and Tony Moore - A sci-fi adventure heavily influenced by 50s pulp style stories

The Manhattan Projects by Jonathan Hickman and Nick Pitarra - An alt history book about the scientists behind the development of the atom bomb that asks "what if these people were giant assholes?"

And since you loved Hellboy, then just dive into everything in the Mignola-verse. BPRD, Abe Sapien, it's all amazing.

Thanks, I might look into some of these next.

Sandman doesn't really get a grip on its own identity until the end of the first volume so like issue 6? Theres an issue before then called 24 hours which is fucking great.

You already hit the peak amount of crossover between Sandman and the rest of the Vertigo/DC universe. I think Constantine makes more appearances but my memory is rusty. Batman doesn't show up until the very end as a background character in one panel.

Nice, that's what I like to hear. Pretty excited about how this all might evolve.

Is Selina a member of the Bat family? She bounces between ally and antagonist on a fairly regular basis. Though I suppose if Huntress counts (which I do count her), then Selina would count, yeah?

I know it's a random question, but it popped into my head just now.

Thinking more about it imo she is the most important Batfamily member other than Alfred.
Writers mess around with the kids or completely forget certain ones exist.
You have to have a Catwoman existing in any Batman medium.
as an actual member she is lower tier but it doesn't represent how important she is to the meta.

Is that artwork or toys?
Art.

Just saw Vaiana/Moana. Was okay. Felt like they could've done more with the myth and the gods and monsters.

Feels like it would work really well as a Kingdom Hearts world(unique way to get around, cool designs that heartless can steal, nice weapon that would look cool as a keyblade, 2 big bosses, nice guests and a "heart").

I've had a few days off so I've been trying to get catch up on comics(I'm about 2 months behind).

Just finished Deadly Class #26. Holy shit! I have no idea what to think.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Wonder if that garbage group in the walking dead are going to be early whisperers? Hope not.

That walker looked like the mouth of sauron too

stn

Two recent reads I recommend:

1. Kill Or Be Killed - its amazing, I'm hooked. Very unique story, very gritty. Definitely recommend.

2. The Assignment - recently released, also quite gritty. Apparently based on a movie that's releasing soon.

Top Bottom