• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my good god, that interview went really really well.

I feel great about it.

It's in current programming at Warner Brothers TV, so I'd be reading scripts and watching early versions of The Flash and Supergirl and Westworld among others and giving notes and stuff. I mean, I'd also be doing administrative stuff, it's an assistant position, but I'm an assistant now for a much less exciting company, so this is still a huge step up.

I wouldn't be able to tell y'all anything, but I would know. And you would know I know. And it would be amazing.

Fingers crossed.

Ross61

I feel great about it.

It's in current programming at Warner Brothers TV, so I'd be reading scripts and watching early versions of The Flash and Supergirl and Westworld among others and giving notes and stuff. I mean, I'd also be doing administrative stuff, it's an assistant position, but I'm an assistant now for a much less exciting company, so this is still a huge step up.

I wouldn't be able to tell y'all anything, but I would know. And you would know I know. And it would be amazing.

Fingers crossed.

If Flash is trash next season I now have someone to personally blame.

Acrylic7

Oh fuck yes

Toy-Fair-17-TMNT-Kastors-Korner-21-768x1024.jpg

Toy-Fair-17-TMNT-Kastors-Korner-08-768x1024.jpg

Owzers

we should totally have a vote on OT things. No longer will we be the forgotten people of comics-gaf, our cover images will not be dictated to us like we are lower than those with OT thread making power.

we should totally have a vote on OT things. No longer will we be the forgotten people of comics-gaf, our cover images will not be dictated to us like we are lower than those with OT thread making power.

Nope. Not happening. Letting people vote on things is how we ended up with Trumpalupagus.

Messi

You lost the right when you changed name.

PsychBat!

Banned
Can I put myself on the dollar bill when we take over OT?

I wish there was a job out there that I actually wanted or anything at all I wanted to do with my life.

Same.

tumblr_olsv1cW9DL1vxsk3lo1_540.jpg

Omfg Gabby's new costume

Badass!

I feel great about it.

Fingers crossed.

Dude, this is SO EXCITING.

I feel great about it.

Fingers crossed.

Really excited for you man. Best of luck!

TheFlow

Banned
I keep thinking how lion knight and doctor strange are changing writers later this year :/. Makes me sad. Do we know if Nick spencer is going to continue after secret wars.

Dalek

I feel great about it.

Fingers crossed.

Good luck-sounds awesome!

U.S.Avengers #3
I love this book. Teamwork! Action! Wit! I like Gold Skull as a villain and DaniCap so much. Plus I actually enjoy Squirrel Girl quite a bit im this book. I'm also interested in Toni's arc right now.
She keeps emphasizing how her armor and tech is all designed to be non-lethal, yet she seems to be more and more aggressive with it. Something Aikku points out when she says she wants to talk about it and even Dani takes a shot when she calls it a "gunmobile."

I absolutely loved that he got the Squirrel Girl/Dani conversation in there.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Glob can handle it. He just wants love :(

If Eva doesn't show up during the current event then I think I am willing to accept she is gone and stop hoping everytime a new book gets announced. Maybe its time for Blink supporters to do the same?

At least I'm getting Blink in other media.

Yeah.

A vote in Trumps AMERICA? Not a chance. Only Freeza gets to tell me no and she never has a problem with my picks. I can't live in a thread where Sillymonkey gets a chance to vote.

Spoiler.

Thor is one of the books I picked as it is the final issue of the war and the cover is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

Also Wada killed it on this cover.

this is a real cover?!?

I thought this was a fan photoshop

Sandfox

It's going to be interesting seeing a writer actually do something with Nature Girl. She's basically a blank slate outside of her name, appearance, and powers.

PsychBat!

Banned

I feel great about it.

Fingers crossed.
Good luck, man! :D
Don't forget about the little people when you make it big.

I feel great about it.

Fingers crossed.
So you'll be one of the people from that thread I posted yesterday? :p

Seeing Wick 2 tomorrow~

Nudull

Banned
Oh good, we have an inside man on the DC side. Marvel next, I suppose.

All according to GAF's master plan to take over comics.

Anyone know any good stores one should check out in LA? My father is there for the Oscars and likes to bring home things to his kids no matter their age.

Mindwipe

I feel great about it.

Fingers crossed.

Welcome to TV insider comic-GAF. We have crazy deadlines.

I feel great about it.

Fingers crossed.
Note on every episode of Arrow.
"this episode/show could really use a young Asian female, possibly related to a great female martial artist"

In all seriousness though, good luck.

Piracy.

Variant covers.

From the second one:
"Appetite for variants has waned steadily over the last few years, especially on the Marvel side," said Ryan Seymore, owner of Comic Town in Columbus, Ohio. "Initially, the hip hop variants as well as the other random/order threshold variants sold well. With the most recent Marvel NOW soft reboot, they have all but ceased selling.

"With DC, the variants do better since they aren't attached to any order threshold and remain at cover price," Seymore said. "At this point, I believe the current glut of variants has only hurt retailers who are chasing variants by over-ordering titles just to get them. Early on, I was guilty of variant chasing myself and my bottom line alerted me of my error."

"Marvel fundamentally doesn't seem to understand the idea of how to give our customers a sense of satisfaction at their purchase," said Bret Parks, owner of Ssalefish Comics in Winston Salem, North Carolina. "Why should Alex Ross be the standard cover while artists that have never been heard of and frankly aren't at the caliber of Ross be incentivized?

"Oftentimes, when we run out of a Marvel book on the shelf, the variant becomes the shelf copy and is sold at cover price," Parks added. "Some customers are still disappointed and would rather have the regular cover."

Several retailers said Marvel could learn some lessons from DC's approach to variant covers.

"DC has chosen a method for variant covers that works for them, the guests and the retailers," Seymore said. "By not attaching the ability for the shop to acquire to any order requirements, shops can order what they need and the guests can make personal preference choices without having to pay top dollar for the cover art they prefer."

"The 'open to order' variants that DC and others provide as subscription variants don't seem to have 'investor' value so they just give the customer more choices - and that's great," said Charlie Harris, owner of Charlie's Comic Books in Tucson, Arizona "The ones that require the retailer to increase their orders or jump through other hoops are most often from Marvel, frequently have no artist attached and often arrive with art by creators who don't have large fan bases. It's unusual to have them be worth more than cover price."

"I do wish that DC would still do ratio variants," Parks countered, "but admittedly the returnability of their titles and the higher sales due to the lower cover price do make up for it."

Joe Field, owner of Flying Colors Comics in Concord, California, said variants, in general, make ordering more of a challenge, so they do stress out some retailers.

"Variants, even 'open to order' variants, can be huge curve-balls for how we order," Field said. "And it's a shame that some fans only want a certain cover that a publisher purposely makes it difficult for retailers to qualify."

Tizoc

Transformers Lost Light #3
YOU ONLY HAD ONE JOB WHIRL!

Otherwise, brilliant issue. Brilliant brilliant issue.

tim1138

I feel great about it.

Fingers crossed.

Can you make the Flash great again?

The Omega Men #1 - #4: Still having trouble with King's dialogue and the first issue should have been 4 pages instead of 20, but things really picked up in the next three issues. Some brilliant art and layouts though.

Li Kao

Hey, I made a list, sorta, and I read comics ! Yeah me !
Won't last as I wasn't able to trim the backlist fat enough but hey...

So I'm reading the DC Rebirth titles and it's solid work, heavy emphasis on old school super heroics, very enjoyable. I have more than a few doubts about the success accessibility-wise, the writers could have done better on that front I think, but if more accessibility means more recap or other boring segments, hey, it's not the end of the world.

I really like Green Arrow colors, bigger titles like Action Comics are very solid reads, lesser titles like Flash are a little more so so, nothing surprising but overall it's a good event. I don't think I really read any stinker yet. In fact that's maybe the true victory here, there maybe are no stellar titles but there are zero bad titles either.

Damn, Marvel is releasing these rather expensive Shang-Chi omnibuses very rapidly...

v3 of Master of Kung-Fu is next week,
v2 of Deadly hands of Kung-Fu is in a couple of months.

We’ve got guest-artist issues coming from Matthew Clarke, who did a gorgeous story about a supervillain; Rick Leonardi who did a story about—believe it or not!— a super detective cat. And we’ve got a story coming up that’s very strongly inspired by the political issues and thread of resistance that’s going on in the US today.

I want all of that! The Reflections HC is only a couple of weeks out too!

kWbAu6z.png

Tec and Action were both really great this week.

I think the speculation so far on who Clark is is too small and too hopeful. There is a shit ton of dangling plot threads that seemingly should all connect to it and I think some of the theories so far are too simple for a lot of them. We also gotta remember that whatever the reveal is it also has huge implications for this Supes as Oz said he is also not who he thinks he is.

There is just too much wrapped up in the plot of Action to have someone like
Superboy Prime
be the answer. There's Gineticron who had Doomsday, there was the doppelganger Superman during the Last Days of Superman, You have Oz watching Superman and his family on top of saying they both aren't who they think they are. You also have this fake Clark's story being very centered around Gineticron. The company hasn't been brought up much since it was put in the Amazon, but this Clarks whole origin is wrapped up with them with him thinking they were out to kill him and being the reason Superman took his place(in his mind). I feel like there is more I'm missing, but my point is I feel like there is way too many threads to be a simple answer.

Top Bottom