• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwixotik

#20 ("Loose Ends") actually used to be omitted from the collections because even though it's Moore, it's him finishing the previous writer's storyline. 21 is the definitive scorched-earth-fuck-everything issue where Everything You Knew Was Wrong and is where it "really" starts.

I just read both, but issue 21 is crazy.

Flash was a basically a fill-in one-shot this week. It was a fun read for someone like me who is jumping on.

Batwoman. Another book I'm jumping on and trying. It was alright, nothing special. I'll keep trying it out.

Damian Son of Batman have been ok every month. Great art with some questionable writing. Looks like the last book in this mini will be interesting.

Justice League Dark was awesome again. Not much else to say other than that.

Vibranium

Banned
I had zero comics this week and last. I might give Manhattan Projects a go eventually, but I had enough with Avengers and New Avengers due to Hickman's grand plotting not gelling with me so I dropped them like a sack of potatoes after Infinity.

Anyways in previews, Winter Soldier: The Bitterest March is looking cool enough since Real Fury is featured, but apparently Ran Shen is going to be the main "hero", which is kind of a bummer. Brubaker and Latour wrote Bucky really well in flashbacks when he was still brainwashed by the Soviets, so it's kind of unfortunate Remender is making him a distant version of"The Terminator" (his own words). Still, it'll be interesting to see The Iron Nail when he was a spy for SHIELD.

I just want a WS solo to hurry up and come back though, you've got 5 months to the movie Alonso, c'mon, I'm waiting for you to make it happen.

I can't wait until one of our heroes is revealed to be an Inhuman. And we find his true self is dastardly and evil. Coming to Marvel Comics this summer in, Who Killed The Watcher?

Whats the word on Fatale and Revival?They sound awesome, and I might check them out.

Thing's i'm checking out for sure when the volumes come out are: Zero, Velvet, and maybe Rat Queens.

Imo Fatale is one of the best books out, Bru and Phillips as a team is such a satisfying experience, it kind of doesn't matter much what the subject matter is anyway, the reading itself is just so good. That said, the plot is very cool and intriguing. I've personally only reading the first year (got the third volume sitting to read though) so for me a lot of plot threads are still waiting to come together, but just great storytelling in general.

Revival, I enjoy, enough to keep on with, but I have considered dropping off once or twice. I do really like it when I go back and actually read it, but sometimes I've forgotten/lost interest a little in the wait between volumes. I think it's difficult for Revival since there's so many god tier horror books around today, but I'm holding on for now. Got the second volume here, so fingers crossed for good things.

Over the last couple of days I read all of Y - The Last Man. Was very good couldn't put it down, BKV is a genius. I'd say compared to Saga it was way more fun reading it all together instead of waiting for monthly issues.

Next up is Snyder's American Vampire, hope it's good the art looks wonderful.

Over the last couple of days I read all of Y - The Last Man. Was very good couldn't put it down, BKV is a genius. I'd say compared to Saga it was way more fun reading it all together instead of waiting for monthly issues.

Saga desperately needs an editor. His previous works and Saga are indistinguishable. It's like Saga is being ghostwritten by Kelly Sue DeConnick.

tim1138

Saga desperately needs an editor. His previous works and Saga are indistinguishable. It's like Saga is being ghostwritten by Kelly Sue DeConnick.

So how many books would that make KSD (ghost)writing? Her own stuff, all of Fractions, and now Saga? She's like Charles Soule!

monome

argh...

sad to see the comments on Hawkguy and Saga...I did drop them due to some tiredness rather than them being bad.

I'm on a 100% Snyder diet...

I picked the latest Superior Spiderman, but the book is going nowhere, and the art is pretty weak for a 3.99$ bi-monthly

I have some faith in the upcoming Wolverine re-reboot tho.

Saga is fine if you just pretend it's season 5 of Lexx.

They make about as much sense.

That being said it is finally going somewhere again after six issues.

Looks like Cheska and I tweeted Jimmy about Harley and he replied to Cheska.

Bc-qm93CEAARu-Q.png

He's my cousin's dog! He's such a sweetie. I have my own dog, a Chihuahua. Yappy little lady but I love her anyway :p

That's awesome man. I love Chihuahuas too, the place we go to have our dog's hair cut, the aldy there has the yappiest Chihuahua, it's hilarious. We have an exciteable yet fairly silent Yorkie, she's weird ha.

Y followed by AmVamp? You sir, are on a roll. I hope you have Locke & Key and/or Sweet Tooth to follow those with. If so ,you will literally have hit my 4 "if you haven't read it.." recommendations for peeps.

This is the first Jimmy Palmiotti comic that has won anything, ever

I hope you're happy, COMICS!-GAF

Hey man ,did you spot my Parker Q on the first page?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Harley Quinn is just going to keep being the top comic each month from now, isn't it. This joke is going places.

arkon

I wouldn't be hopeful. They already did the bigger hardcovers for the Plague of Frogs stuff, not sure they'd just upgrade those to the deluxe library quality.

The guys involved say that any big collections for Hell on Earth are a long ways off because they don't know how best to reorganize the series. I was just looking all this up, it sounds like nothing beyond the TPBs are in store until Hell on Earth wraps up.

That's a shame. It seems to me like a perfect way to collect the series together. And then all the Mignolaverse titles would look nice and uniform on my shelf.

Hell On Earth will be collected as similar omnibuses to Plague Of Frogs but only once it's completely finished. Plague of Frogs ran a good 11 volumes or so, but there's no guarantee Hell On Earth will run the same. I believe there's potential for a 1940s Omnibus at some point too, but I've never heard any discussion of Library editions of BPRD. I don't have a source on that stuff right now, but I'm pretty sure Scott Allie has addressed questions about Hell On Earth omnibuses a few times now. He's the best guy to follow to get an inkling on where they're going, both plot and publishing wise with the Mignolaverse.

EDIT: Ah, got it:
We’re doing these hardcover books collecting all of the old stuff, called Plague of Frogs. We’re basically looking at all of the Guy Davis stuff, that entire group, everything we did from the first series Hollow Earth to Liz torching the center of the Earth, is called Plague of Frogs. That was the frog army thing, the whole Plague of Frogs thing is being collected in these four hardcovers.

So what you’re seeing right now in the comics we’re putting out now and the paperbacks is we’re slowly building the second set of hardcovers, which will someday be called BPRD Hell on Earth volume one through whatever, and it will probably be more than four because the arc of this story is deep and its wide and it’s nasty as all hell.
Click

So expect something similar to Plague Of Frogs, oppose to what Hellboy does.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up a few X-Men collections at the comic store yesterday as well as the first volume of Saga. I've been out of the game for over a year but figured I'd dip my toe back in to see what I've been missing.

I just discovered that Velvet is a new book that is written by Brubaker and colored by Bettie Breitweiser, a team that was constantly killing it when they were working on Winter Soldier. I read the first two issues and, with the exception of a lack of supernatural and high-tech aspects to the plot, it gives off massive Winter Soldier vibes. Loving it so far, and would recommend it to anyone who's looking for a new book.

Also if anyone hasn't read Memorial by Roberson, that's also a mini-series I highly recommend. It's a six-parter that I would compare to Fables in its subject matter. Turns out they released a second nine-part miniseries that continues the story, so I'm going to check that out next.

Owzers

I bought Monster on a Hill for 3.99 for kindle

monsteronthehill_lg.jpg

I feel respectable. Now to read Guardians of the Galaxy 8 and 9 to continue disliking comics.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
My god, the amount of awesome effort put into a promotional piece for a Deadpool event...damn, Marvel.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Anyone ever buy a Kindle edition of a comic?

Mind MGMT vol 1 is only $3.99 right now. Seems like a steal but I've never used the Kindle for anything other than normal books.

Edit: Also, Buzzkill is awesome. Wish I read it sooner.

Messi

Pretty fantastic trip to the store today. They were having a HC clearance sale so I got:

Daredevil vol 1
Immortal Iron Fist vol 2 and 3

All for 18 euro. Pretty good I think. Just gotta get vol 1 of Iron Fist now and I can start reading.

Oh and they also got in the first two volumes of Brubakers Catwoman. But those were 28.99 each :/

Owzers

Anyone ever buy a Kindle edition of a comic?

Mind MGMT vol 1 is only $3.99 right now. Seems like a steal but I've never used the Kindle for anything other than normal books.

just bought one today, no major complaints. Read a little of Monster on the Hill on my ipad kindle app.

Messi

Btw my store was sold out of ComicGAF's number one book Harley Quinn #1. Wanted a copy of the regular cover. When I was there on launch day they had shit loads :)

Odd... I guess this is the final, correct colored version of that promo. The red probably would have given it away too early..

EDIT: Also, if you look at the background of it the latest invitation promo seems to shoot down ideas that it's Death (unless that's Taskmaster, can't really tell).

I loved Buzzkill 1-3. I just thought it was good, clever, thought-provoking comics. But I kind of hated the conclusion. I thought it was a shitty, nonsensical cop-out. And, yeah, end a comic about addiction on a note of hopelessness and obliteration. Very nice.

Love your icon, btw. Happy Noodle Boy is the greatest.

. . .

I read Sage volume 2, y'all, and I loved it to bits. The way you folks been talking about Saga though I'm worried my taste has fallen to an all new Harley Quinn #1 low.

Acid08

Banned
I loved Buzzkill 1-3. I just thought it was good, clever, thought-provoking comics. But I kind of hated the conclusion. I thought it was a shitty, nonsensical cop-out. And, yeah, end a comic about addiction on a note of hopelessness and obliteration. Very nice.

. . .

I read Sage volume 2, y'all, and I loved it to bits. The way you folks been talking about Saga though I'm worried my taste has fallen to an all new Harley Quinn #1 low.
Saga is still fun to read even when the story isn't moving forward much. I've been enjoying it still and you know my taste isn't Harley Quinn #1 bad.

Filthy Slug

. . .

Yo, don't say that, Jimmy Palmiattty and Amanda Conner are now watching this thread. Two very talented and handsome creators who created a very talented and handsome comic called Hawkeye.

Yo, don't say that, Jimmy Palmiattty and Amanda Conner are now watching this thread. Two very talented and handsome creators who created a very talented and handsome comic called Hawkeye.
Ifnote my career please!

FBP formerly known as Collider might be the schwayest new book of the year. I've never seen anyone use turqouise and pink so confidently since Saved By The Bell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom