• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

What comics do you still enjoy?

Probably the things i don't read, everything in my backlog. I tend to read continuity comics first when i get a dcbs shipment and put everything else in the backlog like Saga, or East of West/Manhattan Project/Lazarus which i haven't even read the first issue of yet have them all.

So far out of the 10 or so issues i've read lately, i liked Uncanny Avengers #15 a lot, catching up on Thor was good, Walking Dead 118 and Avengers 24 were decent, and Zero #1 has me buying the trade for sure. Since i pre-order, i get 3 issues past the point of deciding to drop it, which i just got through All New X-men, Uncanny, and X-Men.

Dysun

Lights Out was meh, Kyle Rayner is now the deus ex machina for everything. At least Oa is sidelined for a bit. Mogo is the bess

Is anyone else reading Quantum & Woody? I feel like it doesn't get a lot of love. IMHO, it is the funniest book on the stands, and that's including Hawkeye, Superior Foes, and Saga. Every page has something hilarious, the comedic pacing is amazing.

arkon

Is anyone else reading Quantum & Woody? I feel like it doesn't get a lot of love. IMHO, it is the funniest book on the stands, and that's including Hawkeye, Superior Foes, and Saga. Every page has something hilarious, the comedic pacing is amazing.

I tried the first two issues and thought they were okay. Not interesting enough to make me keep up with it monthly. In terms of the humour, I didn't find it a patch on MTMTE or Adventure Time, which tend to be my picks for funniest books whenever I read them..

Think I decided I'd check out the first trade to see if it improves, especially at that low price on Amazon.

I tend to grab a series by Valiant whenever they have a sale on Comixology. I was waiting for Q&W to get a few more issues before picking it up.

I read Legendary #1 tonight and I enjoyed it very much. The art was gorgeous and the writing was top notch. This is my first intro into these characters in comic form so I may miss some things but this issue was written where anyone could jump in and have fun.

Also re-read Forever Evil ARGUS 1-2 and then read 3. I have mixed feelings towards it. While I enjoy another angle of the Forever Evil story, I can't help but think there couldn't be a more boring character to center a book around than Steve Trevor. Whaaaaa, I miss Diana. I love her so much, whaaaaaa. The
Dr. Light, Killer Frost, Firestorm parts were cool. Who the hell are The Crimson Men?

suffah

Does maths and stuff

It's the only Valiant series I still follow monthly, but I'm starting to lose interest. As much as I enjoyed all the titles in Valiants relaunch, I feel like there has been a HUGE drop off in quality since.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Okay, capitalized on the end of the Barnes & Noble sale with...

* Amazing Spider-Man, Omnibus 1 (Lee, Ditko)
* Batman, Vol 3: Death of the Family
* Batman: Haunted Knight
* Batwoman, Vol 3: World's Finest
* Catwoman, Vol 3: No Easy Way Down
* Fantastic Four, Omnibus 1 (Lee, Kirby)
* Fantastic Four, Omnibus 2 (Lee, Kirby)
* Nightwing, Vol 3: Death of the Family
* Swamp Thing, Vol 3: Rotworld: The Green Kingdom

Been going through a lot of Best of 2013 lists (I know) to see what I missed and noticed these books pop up frequently:

Mind MGMT (sold out at my LCS)
Trillium
Sweet Tooth (mainly from GAF threads)
Buzzkill (Just read it, awesome)

So, these are worth tracking down?

I would totally recommend Sweet Tooth and Mind MGMT. I love them to death. Haven't read Trillium yet.

Yeesh. Well, I had been on a really good run with all the new books I've been reading, but I read the first half of Bedlam volume 1 and yea, I really don't know about that one. Now I read books by Spencer and like them, and I've read books by Rossmo that I really like too, but with this book, everything is just too depraved. For example
in the first issue, the story begins with the main character not only having just killed tons of child, and murdering the last one, but also making jokes about having defiled their bodies. Very soon after, he cooks up another plot which involves blowing children up. Later we're introduced to a villian who (seems) to have chopped off his own penis, sewn up the area terribly, and which we're frequently shown on panel
. Certainly, I will accept *extreme* story points if there is something real being said or explored, and appreciate the idea is probably to exaggerate your regular supervillian for maximum effect, but there doesn't seem to be any satire or underlining dialogue about his actions. The book just comes across as revelling too much in it's own grossness to go anywhere serious with the themes. Spencer's writing is fine enough, but yea, I just don't know about the whole direction they've went in with that book, which shocks me. I'd expect those two to combine for something great. I'll finish the rest of the book before true judgement, but I get the feeling it isn't going to graduate to my ongoing reads.

I think I'll check it out, Black Science isn't doing much for me unfortunately, I could stick it out though.
What dont you like about it brah? I find the book to be pretty schway and the alt history is outdueling Hickmqn. If ghe book is not schway enouhh for you check out FBP

Vibranium

Banned
What dont you like about it brah? I find the book to be pretty schway and the alt history is outdueling Hickmqn. If ghe book is not schway enouhh for you check out FBP

Well the main character is annoying to me, and I'm getting kind of tired of Rick's internal monologues(I deal with it on Cap and UA already). The world Remender is building is super schway, no question though (certainly better than Comics Superstar Ann Nocenti).

What book's FBP? I'll check it out on a Rafa recommendation (TM).

Not long til the FBP trade actually, I'm looking forward to that one. Vertigo's new wave of books all look interesting to varying degrees, but FBP definitely seems the most fun looknig one.

MartyStu

What the hell is Marvel doing with Wolverine.

Been reading up on his new #1 and I have say, things look bleak for the character.

Well the main character is annoying to me, and I'm getting kind of tired of Rick's internal monologues(I deal with it on Cap and UA already). The world Remender is building is super schway, no question though (certainly better than Comics Superstar Ann Nocenti).

What book's FBP? I'll check it out on a Rafa recommendation (TM).
FBP stands for the Federal Bureau of Physics. It was formerly known as Collider for one issue. The colors in this book are so beautiful and confident. They make Dean White seem like he is whopping a horses ass like a masochist. It's about how the world has all these weird physics problems and the federal and private enterprises that intercept and deal with these issues. The writer is really good at laying intrigue and building a world. Saga take note. The first trade should drop any week ow and its priced like a first Image trade so you are getting a TON of value.
If you are disappointed I'll give you my first comic I get published for free.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
FBP stands for the Federal Bureau of Physics. It was formerly known as Collider for one issue. The colors in this book are so beautiful and confident. They make Dean White seem like he is whopping a horses ass like a masochist. It's about how the world has all these weird physics problems and the federal and private enterprises that intercept and deal with these issues. The writer is really good at laying intrigue and building a world. Saga take note. The first trade should drop any week ow and its priced like a first Image trade so you are getting a TON of value.
If you are disappointed I'll give you my first comic I get published for free.

I didn't think you enjoyed FBP, Rafa, but this is one solid ass recommendation! The colors are seriously incredible and Rico Renzi was just featured on Comics Alliance as a creator to watch out for in the upcoming year

Grab this book for the hottest pinks you ever came across.

Tizoc

Quick rundown of my recent reads:
Forever Evil #4
Uh what happened at the end? Is that Earth-3 Sinestro?

Justice League 26
Atomica and Johnny had the better origin IMO, everyone else's just seems lazily thought up.

All-Star Western 26
Hah the first part was indeed strange, looking forward to next issue.

Doctor Who Special 2013
Really good and fun story.

Superior Foes of Spiderman #7
AKA
Origin of the Beetle, hilarious issue

Coppanuva

Anyone check out the Twilight Zone comic? I'm planning on picking it up if I can find it in stores, huge fan of the show and curious how the comic handles it (also I want it for collecting TZ stuff purposes).

Niceeee I had actually totally forgot I'd ordered The Wake Part One in addition to all the other stuff I bought, just arrived. Really excited to read this.

Last night I went to a book launch at Lucky's Comics in Vancouver for Farel Dalrymple's new collection Delusional (Preview). In addition to picking up Delusional, I grabbed a couple of other Dalrymple goodies as well as a copy of Prophet #40 (that Dalrymple did the cover art on) because, oh look, his old buddy Brandon Graham was sitting at the table next to him. So I had the issue signed by Dalrymple and Graham as well as Simon Roy, who, if you don't know, co-writes Prophet and contributes to the art. Here's a pic of from L-R Roy, Dalrymple and Graham. While Dalrymple is in town, the three of them are working on Prophet. You can learn more about Graham's general goings-on in his recent blogpost.

I couldn't resist asking for a photo with Graham. He was super chill.

After the picture he asked me if I'd like a sketch! I was all, oh, I guess, if you insist, Brandon. We chatted and as we did he showed me some sketches in his sketch book. One that Emma Rios had done of Pretty Deadly characters and one that Paul Pope had done - I don't really remember what Graham said about that one as I am shamefully Pope-illiterate. Anyway, here's my sketch.

After he finished the sketch he got up from the table and chatted for about 15 minutes with myself and his good friend, Robin, who host the best comics podcast, Inkstuds which Graham sometimes co-hosts (sits and giggles and makes jokes, mostly). Yeah, you know, we chatted about Robin's show, and comic creators (mostly Canadian) and books we've read and general shit, you know, NO BIG WHOOP. Best night of my life, whatever.

Wow, Maq, what a cool group of creators to have a run in with. I really need to read Prophet at some point, but I guess I may as well wait til War is done and get the four volume series. What a great sketch too!

I just read The Wake (first 5 issues- TP) last week,, That art/colors is amazing, and the story is just as good. Great stuff,, very much looking forward to it picking back up.

SRG01

Quick rundown of my recent reads:
Forever Evil #4
Uh what happened at the end? Is that Earth-3 Sinestro?

Justice League 26
Atomica and Johnny had the better origin IMO, everyone else's just seems lazily thought up.

All-Star Western 26
Hah the first part was indeed strange, looking forward to next issue.

Doctor Who Special 2013
Really good and fun story.

Superior Foes of Spiderman #7
AKA
Origin of the Beetle, hilarious issue

Superior Foes is basically an auto-buy for me at this point. Every issue is amazing and it's so full of twists.

I just read The Wake (first 5 issues- TP) last week,, That art/colors is amazing, and the story is just as good. Great stuff,, very much looking forward to it picking back up.

Yea, I just finished it there man, could not put it down at all. If I would of changed anything, it would really just be
couldn't they have made the prologue of issue 1 a bit more ambiguous, make it seem like it's in modern day or something but have it read back as clearly in the future after you've finished #5?
It feels like they showed their hand with that super quick, and took a little of the zing out of the end, which was great. It was effectively a great horror comic in the vein of Alien or Prometheus or something. I can understand reading that over 5 months maybe was a little slow, but I literally could not put that down once I started. Also wtf with some of the
Flashbacks? The spontaneous use of a fairly modern looking cannon when the two tribes meet etc., seems there's more being hidden about our history than just the fish element.
Great stuff, can't wait for it to finish to read part 2/all of it together.

Four page preview of Black Widow #1

God damn this book looks good. Do we know who's doing the colours? I don't remember seeing a name anywhere.

It really does look great, I'm not a hugeeee fan of Noto but I like the style they've went for, despite preferring the Lark/Guice look of the WS series that was effectively a Widow book too. There's another preview kicking around too that I definitely saw, if you're after more teasers!

You wanna talk schway? Check out the Saviors by James Robinson and J. bone. It's like stepping out a long winter's nap. I felt so at ease.

I tried the first two issues and thought they were okay. Not interesting enough to make me keep up with it monthly. In terms of the humour, I didn't find it a patch on MTMTE or Adventure Time, which tend to be my picks for funniest books whenever I read them..

Think I decided I'd check out the first trade to see if it improves, especially at that low price on Amazon.

I think the humor in Quantum & Woody is very different from the light-hearted and wacky antics of Adventure Time. Q&W is really into wordplay, subverting expectations, and rapid-fire gags of a more adult nature. Of course, I've never read Adventure Time comics and only seen a few episodes, so I might be wrong.

One of my favorite jokes from a recent comic is the one in Saga #16 where the mother first thinks that Alana is praying, but then realizes that no, she isn't. I feel like Q&W has a ton of stuff like that.

What's MTMTE?

Mindwipe

I think the humor in Quantum & Woody is very different from the light-hearted and wacky antics of Adventure Time. Q&W is really into wordplay, subverting expectations, and rapid-fire gags of a more adult nature. Of course, I've never read Adventure Time comics and only seen a few episodes, so I might be wrong.

One of my favorite jokes from a recent comic is the one in Saga #16 where the mother first thinks that Alana is praying, but then realizes that no, she isn't. I feel like Q&W has a ton of stuff like that.

What's MTMTE?

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye.

LCS had the 2 volumes of 9-11 compilations from various comic creators for a buck each. Thought it was a piece of history to own. Any notable stories in these?

I need to re-read GL then as I stopped before the 3rd Army arc...

OK GAF, I'm writing up a Hellboy series OT, just need a subtitle for it...

"Son of a--" , or "It's all going to hell"
References being of course Hellboy's now famous Death scene, or the BPRD tagline for Hell on Earth

Also cheers for letting us know. I just have this thread favourited, I don't browse the off-topic forum, so I think I miss other comic related threads pretty often.

Tizoc

^How about this for the subtitle?
'Of monkeys with guns & German speaking homonculi'?

What's MTMTE?

Transformers: More than meets the eye, aka the best Transformers book in years, a must read even if you're not a TF fan.

Owzers

I took a short break from reading bad comics and read:

Invincible 107: Decently fun, like most Invincible issues. The monster girl/robot plot thread has always been iffy and i hope Kirkman has something crazy in mind.

Mudman #6: I skipped reading it in my backlog for awhile since there hasn't been a new issue in a year, but it was good, a bit of a new starting point/training issue if you skipped the previous issues. I'll continue buying this and Danger Club whenever the come out.

^How about this for the subtitle?
'Of monkeys with guns & German speaking homonculi'?

Haha, I like that, anythings good man. My final addition is "Hellboy OT: Whatever happened to the aliens????" because....what did happen to the aliens? haha. Do you read monthly btw man, or by trade?

Tizoc

Haha, I like that, anythings good man. My final addition is "Hellboy OT: Whatever happened to the aliens????" because....what did happen to the aliens? haha. Do you read monthly btw man, or by trade?

Trade, as I don't believe it's on Comixology right? I attempt to catch up each year.
As I now want to catch up with BPRD and Abe Sapien I'm gonna re-read the entire series, gonna be great re-reading all those adventures, character interactions and the humor.
Roger T^T

Trade, as I don't believe it's on Comixology right? I attempt to catch up each year.
As I now want to catch up with BPRD and Abe Sapien I'm gonna re-read the entire series, gonna be great re-reading all those adventures, character interactions and the humor.
Roger T^T

I'm not sure about comixology man, but I read trade anyway, so discussion should be suitable for me. Seems like a few people the other day were interested in starting from the beginning, if you're doing a reread anyway, I'm always up for one, we could do a bit of a volume by volume discussion in your OT.

Tizoc

I'm not sure about comixology man, but I read trade anyway, so discussion should be suitable for me. Seems like a few people the other day were interested in starting from the beginning, if you're doing a reread anyway, I'm always up for one, we could do a bit of a volume by volume discussion in your OT.
Wicked i am wriing it up now but wont post til saturday since atm i am off to work :p ill get book 1 of hellboy done and have the ot up by then.

Roger T^T

Dark Horse have their own app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom