• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

ElNarez

Banned
I really don't like the DCEU's version of Superman. That doesn't mean that a grumpy young and still learning Superman can't be done well, I just really don't care about him and the fact that DC's big entrance into the world of connect movie superheroes is a version of Superman that seems to view saving people as a crushing burden is a creative decision that I will never understand.

that's straight-up bunk, there's plenty of scenes where Superman is happy to do the right thing, it's just that they're between scenes where he's groaning from a fairly intense effort like dragging a whole fucking tanker through ice, or scenes where he's viewed as a christ-like figure he's never wanted to be by a crowd of day of the dead celebrators. (PRETENTIOUS SYMBOLISM TIME: the skeletal face painting on the crowd in Mexico calls back to the dream sequence in Man of Steel where Superman gets buried in skulls)

Jeez, just read that Renae De Liz suffered a pulmonary embolism (blood clot) in her lung last night. That is horrific, and can be deadly. Hopefully she recovers quickly, she just had a kid two weeks ago :(

Also yay, congrats Ed :)

Posted a bit about it yesterday but it released today

GENTLY MURDER ME came out today on Gumroad
It's 43 pages and you can get it for $1 (or pay what you want)

Here is a short summary
A diary comic about the inability to connect with the person one most wants to connect with in the modern, technology-filled world. Writer Rebecca Epstein's words are enhanced by Kathryn Briggs', Blakely Inberg's, Edgar Vega's, and Mary Safro's varied and equally skilled styles in the first four volumes, which involve full diary entries. The fifth is a collection of illustrations done by 9 artists*, giving readers a peek into a lonely mind. Sad and dark, but relatable, Gently Murder Me seeks to find definition in the world through human longing.

Here are some of the covers I illustrated that are included in it. There are also two others and some sequential pages. Hope you guys check it out and like it.
FJTjtol.jpg
lDtE9v8.jpg

15mKWg9.jpg

Malyse

-The testimony in front of Congress? It's in the theatrical. IRONICALLY, what's in the UC is the reveal that Luthor was behind the warlord's attack.
-Yo, they literally cut to the flashback of the murder. They make the Superman/Thomas Wayne parallel pretty clear unless you're actively not looking at the movie to look for sweet Snyder burns.

PS: are we really gonna litigate the killing of Zod again, in the year where Wonder Woman kills a guy BY MISTAKE

Diana killing isn't out of character. #MaxLords
5164027-949301171094038449.jpg

Sorry I don't like your favorite movie or whatever, but there's a reason that DC 1. tries to fix their shit in the post theatrical cuts and 2. announces that "oh we're going to fix the tone in the next one".

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
that's straight-up bunk, there's plenty of scenes where Superman is happy to do the right thing, it's just that they're between scenes where he's groaning from a fairly intense effort like dragging a whole fucking tanker through ice, or scenes where he's viewed as a christ-like figure he's never wanted to be by a crowd of day of the dead celebrators. (PRETENTIOUS SYMBOLISM TIME: the skeletal face painting on the crowd in Mexico calls back to the dream sequence in Man of Steel where Superman gets buried in skulls)

I am genuinely glad that you see something in them that I don't (I love it when people like things), and you've definitely seen the movies more than I have, but I really can't remember him expressing any emotion stronger than chagrin while heroing.

He may have smiled when he was about to join Lois in the bathtub, but that's Clark, not Superman.

PS: are we really gonna litigate the killing of Zod again, in the year where Wonder Woman kills a guy BY MISTAKE

Wonder Woman kills people on the regular. I honestly had more of a problem with her letting Dr. Poison go.

Didn't know El Narez was a BvS fan. Different strokes, I guess.

VanWinkle

Did you read the other Johns arcs on action comics?

I've read Up, Up, and Away from him and Busiek, but that's it. I'm now reading the Bizarro arc from Johns and Eric Powell. The arcs seem pretty standalone, so I haven't been reading in order very strictly.

Wish there was an omnibus for the material.

Malyse

Suicide Squad is a fun movie, but damn, it's hard to defend most of BvS

What I find infuriating about most of the DCEU is that they all seem like they could be top ten films with just a few changes/omissions. For example, BvS has one of the strongest openings of any comic book movie ever, bar none. Inverting the end of Man of Steel is one of the best takes anyone could come up with. Sheer fucking brilliance. Suicide Squad's conflict being something that they caused themselves? Fan-fucking-tastic. And Man of Steel's flights and fights were both astounding. I actually would argue that Wonder Woman isn't that different from the other films in the DCEU: the only real change is that Patty never latched on to the idiot ball and did things that would alienate longtime fans.

I would love for JL to be good, but I need to see reviews first. DC has no more goodwill left with me.

BVS is absolutely better than Suicide Squad, which I don't get liking on any level. Not doubting anyone's sincerity but i really don't get it lol

SDCC was great, as always. Though it would have been better if both of you were there. :(
We gotta get the band back together one year

I'll say this

it does seem like DC has a much better structure in terms of planning, and knowing what they want with Rebirth

it seems like Marvel is more chaotic, they don't really have a set plan, which leads to all these relaunches

Do you guys think there will ever be another comic as influential as Watchmen?

or has that ship sailed?
Kinda hard to say, but I have to imagine something will come out with the amount of titles being released.

I'd say the most influential books since Watchmen/TDKR are The Authority and Ultimates.

Sandfox

I like how Bleedingcool is passing off the Marvel preview stuff as their own info and slowly putting it out over the course of the day.

Vic_Viper

Is Sony Pictures making Deadly Class into a tv series or movie?

How long until Black Monday Murders gets a movie adaptation directed by David Fincher!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

How long until Black Monday Murders gets a movie adaptation directed by David Fincher!
It'll be a TV show.

I was listening to an interview the other day with Rick Remender where he talked about spending 7 hours working on the TV show. I wasn't aware he would be writing on it.

Malyse

TV, I think

----

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/l7FHUAd.jpg[/img]

----

PSA Amazon sells lots of stuff for less than Comixology

The Kree

Banned
Are there any stories about Batman or Hulk in therapy, talking to a psychiatrist?

I know about Doc Samson, but I don't know which Hulk books to look for.

I'd recommend something like John Byrne's She-Hulk to fans of Squirrel Girl...

I smile every time you recommend this run. I have the first 10 issues or so in my short boxes. I hope to give them a re-read one day soon. Also, I'm jealous that you have all of Saga ahead of you to experience for the first time.

Shirtless Bear-Fighter #2 tomorrow! I just read number one today and it is the best!

Top Bottom