• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

mreddie

Poor Occupy Avengers, that book was sent to the slaughter the moment it came out and wasn't given a drop of pub while I had to hear about fucking Civil War 2s late ass.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's determined that the guys visions are just probability predictions. He's not seeing the future, just possible futures. She then gets Bruce Banner murdered based on a false vision.

Like I said, I didn't finish the run, but is it established that Hawkeye was incorrect? 'Cus Banner tells him to kill him if he ever starts to change, and Hawkguy saw he was about to turn, so he killed him.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's night time here. In the morning. But it's exactly like the others. Opens fully and lays nicely. Good binding. Lovely pic for under the dust cover. Barry on one cover, wally on the other, the spine is lightning.

This image

Great OHC.

This image is hurting my head.

So the background appears to be an overhead shot of a city street and traffic implying that they are running up the side of a skyscraper, but at their feet it appears to be the ocean?

Like I said, I didn't finish the run, but is it established that Hawkeye was incorrect? 'Cus Banner tells him to kill him if he ever starts to change, and Hawkguy saw he was about to turn, so he killed him.

Bruce Banner was not the Hulk, he had no Gamma powers whatsoever.

VanWinkle

I bought it at a regular American comic store. Then they didn't bag my sejic wayward cover and I left it behind. Now I don't have it. Physical comics were a mistake.

I edited my post, but I don't know if you saw it, so I'm going to post it again.

"Oh actually, that reminds me. I have a question. Solicitations and Amazon say that it includes Flash Rebirth #1 and #1-13 (like it should, since it's supposed to include the first two trades). But IST says it only includes Flash Rebirth #1 and #1-12.

Can you check what it actually includes for me?"

Messi

I edited my post, but I don't know if you saw it, so I'm going to post it again.

"Oh actually, that reminds me. I have a question. Solicitations and Amazon say that it includes Flash Rebirth #1 and #1-13 (like it should, since it's supposed to include the first two trades). But IST says it only includes Flash Rebirth #1 and #1-12.

Can you check what it actually includes for me?"

It's Rebirth #1 and 1-13 :)

Big book.

Einchy

Wait, what? Then why did he tell Hawkeye to kill him if he was going to turn to the Hulk if he wasn't able to? Or why would Hawkeye see his eyes turning green?

Sinatar

Wait, what? Then why did he tell Hawkeye to kill him if he was going to turn to the Hulk if he wasn't able to? Or why would Hawkeye see his eyes turning green?

He made that arrow for hawkeye at some nebulous point in the past.

The real question is if Banner had the ability to make an arrow that would kill him, why didn't he make a bullet and blow his brains out. That's the first thing he'd do if he had the capability.

Oh right...

FydZSmf.jpg

mreddie

Bendis

Or you can say they were nervous of him Hulking out because they saw a vision.

But Bendis.

Sandfox

This image is hurting my head.

So the background appears to be an overhead shot of a city street and traffic implying that they are running up the side of a skyscraper, but at their feet it appears to be the ocean?

It was revealed that Steve manipulated Banner into doing gamma experiments on himself and Beast found the evidence when Carol and the others confronted him.

Messi

The real question is if Banner had the ability to make an arrow that would kill him, why didn't he make a bullet and blow his brains out. That's the first thing he'd do if he had the capability.

Oh right...

FydZSmf.jpg

Because he didn't want to die and the arrow was a final measure just in case it happened. Hawkeye would be the only one to nail the shot...

Einchy

Blaming Carol for Bendis fucking shit up. 😠

Like I said, my issues with the early event is just the poor writing. Take Civil War the movie for example, you can totally see how Cap and Tony are both right and neither really come out looking good at the end. Early Civil War II, again I didn't actually finish the event, it's written like Carol is fucking shit up but she's really not, especially when Tony blames her for Warmachine getting killed, that was total bullshit.

mreddie

It was revealed that Steve manipulated Banner into doing gamma experiments on himself and Beast found the evidence when Carol and the others confronted him.

Problem is it was not in the main book which would have helped matters...but no. Also She Hulk being Bendis sacrificial lamb and the supposed battles...LOL WHAT BATTLE.

Wanderer5

Lol, was out for an anime movie night at a place that I haven't been to before, and as me and a friend was walking around, we found a comic shop.XD Got to see a whole bunch of Bombshell and Cover Girls figures displayed along with that Kotobukiya Thanos.

Even through I generally moved to digital for comics, it was nice to cruise around the comics stands.

Einchy

Lol, was out for an anime movie night at a place that I haven't been to before, and as me and a friend was walking around, we found a comic shop.XD Got to see a whole bunch of Bombshell and Cover Girls figures displayed along with that Kotobukiya Thanos.

Even through I generally moved to digital for comics, it was nice to cruise around the comics stands.

How many Funkopops were there?

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Oh right...

FydZSmf.jpg

No, its because its not real life, its a fictional story in a story driven media, where a lot of things are illogical and just happen for plot convinience.

Just read The Omega Men.

The ending. Wow. Hmm. What am I supposed to feel about The Omega Men? In the end, as Rayner said, we are all the same? We are all savages. We are all civilized. I have a hard time believing Primus doing what he does. Kalista... was pretty evil all the way through, really.

The last couple pages felt like a setup for something, but nothing follows this series, right?

In the end, I felt that it was good, but we skip through 182 days of the war in several pages. I feel that it could've been longer. Tigorr didn't have much development, and Primus didn't get that much either. I feel a bit unsatisfied, but it was good. Scrapps was my favorite character, but it was a bit lame that she's stopped from killing the one she has the most reason to just so Kalista could be theatrical. The whole "we are better than him" thing is such tripe. You kill so many people, but you should forgive the worst one? That's illogical to me. Be consistent with your murder. Then Primus goes on to kill tons of unarmed civilians during his rule? Does not compute.
The point is that at the end, they were no different. Ultimately nothing changed.

-Tigorr is brought up in a warlike and violent culture before being adopted and bred as a political assassin. He doesn't know what to do with real power or how to lead, since he never has. He was viewed as a complete outcast based on a complex upbringing. Nothing was ever going to work out.
-Kalista was always power hungry and kill happy. This entire thing was just for her to claim power. They make that very clear that she's doing all of this strictly to consolidate her own power. She's willing to kill and manipulate, even though she claims she doesn't want to, to get what she wants. Kyle was worn down by this entire war. He had his beliefs challenged to the extreme. He's not really working for the good guys, but they have to be the good guys, because they're going up against supremely evil guys. Right? That's a huge facet of it. Not only that, but the entire religious side of it. Kyle empathizes with a group that can be so devout in their religion that it dictates their beliefs and gives them hope. Kyle then, after all that mind-numbing war, has a moment of clarity, thinking that he might be able to bring himself above all of it. They can prove that they aren't just power hungry killers. Then Kalista performs the execution, claiming she won. Again, it was all a game to her. It was all about winning. For Kyle it was about being a hero, something that didn't pan out.
-Primus was a coward. He lead nonviolent protests thinking they were the better option, and when given power he didn't know what to do. He'd never had power until the war, when he was given a gun and told to shoot people. By the end of the war it's the only way he knows how to deal with resistance. You give a guy who has never had power a whole ton of power. That can't end well, right?

Has Eddy Barrows always been such a great artist? We all know he killed it on Rebirth Detective Comics, but his Martian Manhunter DCYou run with Rob Williams is particularly blowing me away. Incredible stuff.
Yes. He's the only good part of Higgins' Nightwing run.
How did the big Carol Danvers fans react to how she was in CW2? Do they stand up for her? I've never read her solo stuff, so I just thought she was an asshole.
I've never been more intrigued by her.
Bruce is happy Hawkeye "killed" him cus it just gave him a nice vacation.
Ultimate Hulk, though.
Actually, one of these days I need to finish Civil War II just to see what horrible thing Carol did. One of my main issues with that run, at least with the first 4 or 5-ish issues, was that I was supposed to see what argument from both sides or something, but it was clear Carol was correct.

So you find this kid who can see possible realities if you don't intervene, which allows you to save the world once, and then he sees Thanos will come and fuck shit up, so you make a plan to stop him, and while doing that someone dies and another is hurt badly and I'm supposed to think this was an issue for some reason? If you didn't stop him then, everyone would've died, and soldiers get hurt while doing soldier shit.

I dunno, maybe they make her lose her mind later on in the event or something, but those first issues and just thinking "why the hell should I be listening to Tony Stark right now?".
I'm going to repost what I said a looooong time ago about Carol, though it was only up until issue #5 of CW2, so some of it isn't relevant any more (Ulysses being the bad guy the whole time), but I feel much of it holds water and why I don't think CW2 was that bad.
Here's what I got:
So far, the three major visions have technically been true: a Celestial did show up, Thanos did attempt to take a Cosmic Cube (although it was only in development and not an actual cube yet), and Bruce was indeed about to Hulk out. The Celestial showing up is fairly tame, and they did stop Thanos at the cost of Rhodey's life and almost She-Hulk's

The problem is that Hulk was the tipping point. It was a self-made prophecy. Bruce probably wouldn't have Hulk'd out had every single Avenger, X-Man, and Inhuman show up on his doorstep. This is the major tipping point, because it's the first time that we see people other than Tony genuinely questioning what's been going on. So Tony, who managed to actually uncover how Ulysses' powers work (unlike everyone else) found out that Ulysses actually affects the visions himself. This prompts pretty much everyone to go, "Well I dunno, Carol. Maybe we shouldn't?"

Now, that's key, because She-Hulk has also just woken up and is incredibly distraught. She was nearly killed, her cousin is dead, and the man who killed her cousin got off clean. We don't see it, but I'm pretty sure Carol got it pretty rough from Jennifer as far as verbal beatdowns go. So now, finally, Carol snaps. Her lover's dead. Her best friend probably hates her, or at the very least is in great pain because of her. One of the OG Avengers is dead because of her. Instead of wallowing though, what does she do? She goes all in. See, technically the visions were true, but not all of the elements were under Carol's control. The Celestial worked perfectly, but let's look at the last two: Thanos is ridiculously powerful and has always been a wildcard. She had no idea that Rhodey and Jenny were going to get tagged and to be fair, that event wasn't her fault, though she certainly should have snagged more folk than that. It was an irresponsibility and she knows that. So she goes, "Well Hulk is a major threat. Let's go all in." Except now she's created an overwhelming scenario: Banner is freaking because "Hey look at ALL OF THE EVERYONE," an event that causes Hawkeye to take the shot. Again, a scenario where Carol lost control. So she doubles down.

She's literally gone the reverse of Tony. Tony started this in an out-of-control, overemotional state. Carol kept a secret from him that may have allowed him to keep Rhodey, his best friend, alive. Early on, he's acting out of grief. He thinks it's his fault that Rhodey is dead, either because he wasn't there, or maybe because Rhodey was using an old armor. Carol has done the opposite: she has been operating on a more rational level, but things have slowly spun out of control. Now Tony's in the right and Carol's in the wrong.

TLDR: Carol's arc has made sense to me, and I don't see how it's ruining her character. Not yet. And I'm still waiting for an explanation about the Celestial. My theory is that Ulysses has been playing them all. He took out three major game changers.
It's determined that the guys visions are just probability predictions. He's not seeing the future, just possible futures. She then gets Bruce Banner murdered based on a false vision.

She then also nearly murders Tony Stark because he had the audacity to try and stop her from arresting Mile Morales for the possible future murder of Captain America.
Tony brought that shit on himself. Literally neither of them are blameless. The final fight was Carol reacting to Tony's blatant overreaction and misreading of the situation. After the big fight that wrecked the Triskelion and Carol's attempted arrest of Miles, Miles then bails and Carol spends damn near an entire issue questioning the entire damn thing. She legitimately questions her position in all this. Miles and Steve both go to see what happens and if they fight each other and Carol shows up, but doesn't bring anyone with her (if I recall correctly). Just herself, so she sees if this really pans out. Tony shows up in a Carolbuster armor and she reacts, accidentally putting him in a coma.

The Hulk thing was partially her fault, but in the end she ended up being right.

He was doing gamma experiments on himself, which Beast discovered and revealed to everyone, and his eyes flashed green, which is why Hawkeye shot, as he was asked to do by Bruce.

The fact SE pretty much made both the main visions from CWII false really makes that event pointless. "Shit, Hulk will kill everyone!" Nope,
he comes back alive and destroys a few robots that looks like the heroes that died in the vision
. "Miles will kill Captain Hydra in Washington" Nope,
Black Widow gets her neck pretty much cut off and then Miles is stopped from killing Cap by a hollow speech from Nadia about how killing is wrong and will just make you into him and then they're both captured

Aizo

Banned
Thanks for your thoughts, BK. What do you think Rayner would do next?
His superior tells him the Corps will be invading the Vega system, and they need to take a planet for stellarium. The superior then asks Rayner whose side he'll be on. He looks up, giving a clear vantage of the scar on his neck. It could be symbolism for betrayal, so perhaps he'd side back with the omega men. Neither side is just in the original conflict or whatever would happen next.

The fact SE pretty much made both the main visions from CWII false really makes that event pointless. "Shit, Hulk will kill everyone!" Nope,
he comes back alive and destroys a few robots that looks like the heroes that died in the vision
Black Widow gets her neck pretty much cut off and then Miles is stopped from killing Cap by a hollow speech from Nadia about how killing is wrong and will just make you into him and then they're both captured
That's the point of CW2 though. The visions were never concrete. They were never true, just something that could happen. It's also the problem: that the event was basically set up.
Thanks for your thoughts, BK. What do you think Rayner would do next?
His superior tells him the Corps will be invading the Vega system, and they need to take a planet for stellarium. The superior then asks Rayner whose side he'll be on. He looks up, giving a clear vantage of the scar on his neck. It could be symbolism for betrayal, so perhaps he'd side back with the omega men. Neither side is just in the original conflict or whatever would happen next.
What I got is that Kyle isn't really on anyone's side. He's on his. There is no right or wrong side, just the side you pick, and that fighting for anyone's beliefs other than your own is completely pointless. Hence the abandonment of the religious symbology after the final battle.

On SE, which I haven't read since issue 3 or so (I was told to read this by a friend who just loves trolling me):

They did the my boy
The Punisher
so wrong...

What the fuck was the point in using him then?? I would have applauded the balls on Marvel if they made him a facist bootlicker but no, he's helping Cap because 'Oh hey he'll make everything better!'

The hell. Honestly all I cared about in this event.

Oh and another thing:

Fuck you Marvel for going and doing this
Redeem Cap bullshit, just retire him for a few years or make him evil. You already assassinated his character anyway.

Too bad I can't delete purchases from the Comixology app.

On the other hand, Saga #45 came out. Hearing great things about it. I'm not sure if I want to go physical or digital. I love collecting this one in Paperback though...

Sandfox

On SE, which I haven't read since issue 3 or so (I was told to read this by a friend who just loves trolling me):

They did the my boy
The Punisher
so wrong...

What the fuck was the point in using him then?? I would have applauded the balls on Marvel if they made him a facist bootlicker but no, he's helping Cap because 'Oh hey he'll make everything better!'

The hell. Honestly all I cared about in this event.

Oh and another thing:

Fuck you Marvel for going and doing this
Redeem Cap bullshit, just retire him for a few years or make him evil. You already assassinated his character anyway.

Too bad I can't delete purchases from the Comixology app.

On the other hand, Saga #45 came out. Hearing great things about it. I'm not sure if I want to go physical or digital. I love collecting this one in Paperback though...
Punisher
is a weird character.

ElNarez

Banned
Theory going around that Mr. Oz isn't
Jor-El, Ozymandias, alternate Lex
or someone else but actually The Superman.

I'm sure Johns originally wrote him as Jor-El because that reading makes too much sense, but as to who he is now?

Fuck it, I'll add "time-travelling old John Constantine" to the table, it's just as likely

Second Newsarama interview with Snyder.
Nrama: OK, now that we've got confirmation of Hawkman's future, are we going to see some kind of Shazam book or Shazam stories spinning out of this?

Snyder: I'm not allowed to say. But we have tremendous enthusiasm and interest for that character, and I think you'll start to see clues of a lot of stuff coming with him in different ways in the future in Metal.

I can say that there are definitely big plans at DC for Shazam and for Captain Marvel and the whole Marvel family.

Cover to The Oz Effect part 1:

Li Kao

Just read Superwoman 1-3 and Batman 1-5 yesterday and while they were certainly good enough I'm surprised by the logical inconsistencies in their narrative.
While my issue with Superwoman is just that the size of the crisis doesn't seem to mesh with a hero that apparently starts the 4th issue chilling at home (?), the I am Gotham arc of Batman seems undercooked. So I should give importance enough for two enormous add to the casts that their fate 5 issues in is really fucked up ? I mean it's no big deal at face value but one of the two character seems promised to play a major part in the book narrative. A character that never in 5 issues could even be half-fledged ? It seems really forced.
Sorry mr writer but you didn't sell me on your character and its apparent destiny is ridiculously ambitious.
Maybe I will warm up to the character and it will make more sense as times goes by. Lol at the burgeoning love story btw, it was fucking quick.

Li Kao

Are the new X titles any good ?

I mean...
Generation X
Iceman
Jean Grey
All seem to have pretty repulsive art to me, are they worth an effort ?

And I just saw that John Malin was on Cable in a few issue ? Pacheco has been replaced ? If so, same question.

Oh, good. Can you answer me a question? On that Thanos statue, did they fuck up the colors of the infinity gems? Because Entertainment Earth keeps making that statue deal of the day for like $160, but some of the pics I've seen online make it seem like they got the gem colors wrong.

Malyse

Oh right...

FydZSmf.jpg

if Banner tries to shoot himself, Hulk will pop out and block the bullet because despite what he says, Banner doesn't actually want to die. Hawkeye presumably could react faster than Hulk's conscious mind and kill Banner before Hulk saw him coming.

Malyse

I mean...
Generation X
Iceman
Jean Grey

And I just saw that John Malin was on Cable in a few issue ? Pacheco has been replaced ? If so, same question.

Fucking what.

Code:
[IMG]https://comicnewbies.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/why-jean-grey-trusts-magneto-3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/S/cmx-images-prod/Item/503310/Previews/2a14c249fd524fb0e01a983aa98ec85f._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg[/IMG]

Gen X is bad but it's the *only* one.

fake edit: oops dp

tkscz

That's what
Tony was getting at in CW II
(Not sure if we still need spoilers for CW II anymore). However I just don't care enough to read SE. Nothing about it seems interesting enough to draw me in.

Edit: Is there something going on at Marvel that women are not allowed to have long hair? I'm starting to notice a pattern.

I mean...
Generation X
Iceman
Jean Grey

Jean Grey is actually quite good. Cable and Iceman are okay. Gen X is pure trash through and through.

Sinatar

Hawkeye presumably could react faster than Hulk's conscious mind and kill Banner before Hulk saw him coming.

It was a special arrowhead designed to kill the hulk, not hawkeye (a normal human) reacting faster then the speed of thought lol.

Top Bottom