• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

The comic book industry has a variant problem.

My brain first parsed that as "has a valiant problem"...

There's a 50% off Fantagraphics sale on Comixology if you use the coupon F17. Good time to buy some stuff from them.

Some books I'd recommend:
Love & Rockets
5000KM Per Second
Megahex and its sequels: Megg and Mogg in Amsterdam and One More Day
My Favorite Thing is Monsters
Nijigaraha Holograph (manga, but very good)

More recommendations -

The Eternaut
Hip Hop Family Tree - (Great read even if you are not very familiar with the genre)
The Longest Day of the Future

And of course, the first 7 books of Usagi Yojimbo.

Finished Secret Wars last night. Holy shit what a way to finally end it. Hype moment after hype moment after hype moment. Now I gotta figure out what I want to read next. Thinking Remender's X-Force run but I dunno what's all intertwined in that or if it's just a straightforward read.

Finished Secret Wars last night. Holy shit what a way to finally end it. Hype moment after hype moment after hype moment. Now I gotta figure out what I want to read next. Thinking Remender's X-Force run but I dunno what's all intertwined in that or if it's just a straightforward read.
I consider it pretty straightforward and self contained

Mafro

It's completely self contained and didn't cross over with any of the big events at the time. There's a Fear Itself tie-in issue but it isn't part for the numbered run, doesn't have anything to do with the story in the main series and wasn't written by Remender.

I consider it pretty straightforward and self contained

It's completely self contained and didn't cross over with any of the big events at the time. There's a Fear Itself tie-in issue but it isn't part for the numbered run, doesn't have anything to do with the story in the main series and wasn't written by Remender.

Then I guess I'm going with that. I should read more X-Men books anyway.

Thanks dude! And extra thanks for the Amazon UK link. Yeah, that's the one I've added to my basket. Couldn't see an omnibus during my quick search.

No worries, I usually find a book on Amazon but then get it on there through one of the third party sellers, Wordery and Book Depository are usually the cheapest.

Think my gf would probably like squirrel girl too but its hard getting her to read anything, shes got unread first volumes of Giant Days, Miss Marvel and Wicked and Divine on her shelf collecting dust. The only thing she does read is Lumberjanes.

dh4niel

No worries, I usually find a book on Amazon but then get it on there through one of the third party sellers, Wordery and Book Depository are usually the cheapest.

Think my gf would probably like squirrel girl too but its hard getting her to read anything, shes got unread first volumes of Giant Days, Miss Marvel and Wicked and Divine on her shelf collecting dust. The only thing she does read is Lumberjanes.

The gf has a thing for #stucky so I bought her the complete Cap Winter Soldier run. Haha. Gonna progress to the Winter Soldier solo series from there.

Pachimari

I need help. Which event / comic books do I go to, to learn and experience the Skrulls-Kree war?

I also just signed up for another free month of Marvel Unlimited. Thinking of paying the $60 for an entire year though.

Li Kao

Hey, it's this time of the month, the time where I feel like reading comics but my faulty brain can't choose between the million of titles published each month.
I was so very close to read comics again last month. I read the first few Doom Patrol and Cave Carson and all was right in the world. Then I made a mistake and started the Champions.
What a piece of shit.

Out of curiosity is it a well liked title and it flew over my head or does it simply 'exists' like so many titles before it ?

Hey, it's this time of the month, the time where I feel like reading comics but my faulty brain can't choose between the million of titles published each month.
I was so very close to read comics again last month. I read the first few Doom Patrol and Cave Carson and all was right in the world. Then I made a mistake and started the Champions.
What a piece of shit.

Out of curiosity is it a well liked title and it flew over my head or does it simply 'exists' like so many titles before it ?

Champions is a mixed titles among Marvel fans. Some really like the concept but feel Waid shouldn't be writing it cuz he really doesn't get young kids.

Messi

What a piece of shit.

Simply exists

Gurihiru's art is cute, but I prefer Henderson's work on Squirrel Girl. And when it comes to writing, North is on another level compared to what's going on with Gwenpool. It's really not a contest there.

I'd recommend something like John Byrne's She-Hulk to fans of Squirrel Girl before something like Gwenpool anyways. It's a consistently fun series that gives off a lot of similar vibes.

Messi

Gurihiru's art is cute, but I prefer Henderson's work on Squirrel Girl. And when it comes to writing, North is on another level compared to what's going on with Gwenpool. It's really not a contest there.

I'd recommend something like John Byrne's She-Hulk to fans of Squirrel Girl before something like Gwenpool anyways. It's a consistently fun series that gives off a lot of similar vibes.

I feel like you arent being fair to the writing in Gwenpool. Hastings is doing good work.

The rest I agree with.

arkon

If you like Squirrel Girl try Ryan North's run on the Adventure Time comic. It's issues 1-36 of the main series iirc. Similar sensibility to what he brought to Squirrel Girl.

Misha

Banned
Eh, I think Duggan's Deadpool does too, though.

Now, ClayKavalier, I've been thinking about this. I think what separates Squirrel Girl is it's just super quirky with it's humor. It's hard not to laugh at its silliness. Because of this, the closest book I can think of to be similar to that tone is Bandette from Dark Horse. It's very silly and quirky and I think you'd like it a lot. It is also collected in adorable little hardcovers.

Maaaan. Looking at Bandette images and now I want to re-read it.

That looks amazing. Kinda what if Amélie were a costumed thief. (though waaayyy less shy)
That goes on my list :D

Remender's Uncanny Avengers run is pretty much a follow-up to X-Force.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Worst thing about waiting for trades? When you find Batman spoilers from Tom King on his Twitter.

dan2026

I legitimately don't understand the love for Squirrel Girls art.
I usually love cartoony or unusual art styles.
For example the art in Chew is one of my favourites of all time.

But Squirrels Girls art is stylised to the point of looking ugly to me. I am sure the skill is there, but it just doesn't click with me.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

But Squirrels Girls art is stylised to the point of looking ugly to me. I am sure the skill is there, but it just doesn't click with me.

Agreed, it looks like her editor told her she had to turn in all her art by the end of the day, but she hadn't even started working on it.
[edit]
EvqUqDA.png

lol

Vic_Viper

Remender's run goes: Uncanny X-Force to his Uncanny Avengers and then to the event called AXIS. Axis can be hit or miss, everyone here will tell you not to go near it, but if you enjoyed where the story went in Uncanny Avengers, Axis is the ending. Its only like 6 issues and never should have been turned into an event but thats Marvel for you.

Then after all that he did a OGN called Rage of Ultron which probably would have been part of his run proper had Marvel not done Bendis's Ultron event lol.

I feel like you arent being fair to the writing in Gwenpool. Hastings is doing good work.

The rest I agree with.
I gave it a fair shot, as I'm not really out of the audience it's intended for, but I just wasn't a fan. I don't think there's anything wrong with me not wanting to buy more issues of something I didn't care for either.

Messi

I gave it a fair shot, as I'm not really out of the audience it's intended for, but I just wasn't a fan. I don't think there's anything wrong with me not wanting to buy more issues of something I didn't care for either.

Sure and it's perfectly fine for me to disagree with your assessment.

I think someone was asking after the Vision Director's Cut OHC?

Jan 2018

https://edelweiss.abovethetreeline....oupID=0&catalogID=4212854&org=&sku=1302908537

$40 for 6 issues... They can keep it. Also nowhere does it say ohc.

It's straightforward, but like a lot of Big Two comics (especially X-Men), having knowledge and investment in the continuity helps a great deal. But otherwise it's very straightforward.
Champions is a mixed titles among Marvel fans. Some really like the concept but feel Waid shouldn't be writing it cuz he really doesn't get young kids.

This. I was feeling the book, but as the issues have gone on, I've begun to lost interest. Not even Humberto Ramos can make Waid's writing on that book interesting.

I feel the same, but I haven't actually read the book, so it's probably better in context.

Sure and it's perfectly fine for me to disagree with your assessment.

$40 for 6 issues... They can keep it. Also nowhere does it say ohc.
Just 6 issues? Pass. When it comes to King I want it all in one like with Omega Men(still want an Absolute...).

Top Bottom