• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just enjoy the Spock ride. Because comics always eventually revert back to some form of the status quo.

Lazarus looked decent from the previews.

Age of Ultron finally ending. I really enjoyed seeing Ultron in every previous issue and the heroes waging a desperate battle to topple the insane a.i .

I pick the arcs with Stegman as the artist like the Spider-man 2099 crossover one coming up.

For the first time in a while, DC's getting a bulk of my money this month. Astro City, American Vampire, Batman/Superman, Superman Unchained, Zero Year. Of course, Hawkguy gets in too, as does Thor: God of Metal.

I hadn't followed Age of Ultron since issue 2(?), did anything big happen?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
For the first time in a while, DC's getting a bulk of my money this month. Astro City, American Vampire, Batman/Superman, Superman Unchained, Zero Year. Of course, Hawkguy gets in too, as does Thor: God of Metal.

Hawkeye got delayed to the end of the month I think.

I mean that was its only real weakness. A miniseries of maybe 12 issues or so could be great from beginning to end

Yeah, I definitely wanted fewer pitch perfect and incredible issues leading up to such a well rendered encapsulation of the series.

They should have titled it 20 bullets and I would have been super thrilled.

I was all psyched for Batman/Superman and then I heard Jae Lee's not even making it to the third issue. We got Sook'd.

kswiston

Not yet. The original messed up time stream was messed up again by Wolverine, but it's still all alternate reality stuff that will be reset by the end of the series. I think the news articles last month solidified that the big game changing outcome of Age of Ultron will be related to Angela joining the Marvel U. Infinity is the real event this year. I bet Age of Ultron would have been cancelled altogether if it wasn't a Bendis pet project. It really doesn't fit into the current Marvel status quo at all.

Wynnebeck

Banned
What's a good jumping off point for Thanos and his exploits with the Infinity Gauntlet? I've been wanting to read that series for years but never got around to doing it.

kswiston

What's a good jumping off point for Thanos and his exploits with the Infinity Gauntlet? I've been wanting to read that series for years but never got around to doing it.

I just started with The Infinity Gauntlet mini, but you could read the two issue Thanos Quest that led up to it if you want.

Glix

Hey guys. I rarely buy comics these days, and never ever have posted on GAF about them...

but I picked up East of West 1 and 2 this week...

WOW. So good. Really really really impressed.

Just got caught up on Journey into Mystery. What a fun comic book. Reminds me of that hellcat mini from a few years back, probably cause its the same writer.

ZoddGutts

Hey guys. I rarely buy comics these days, and never ever have posted on GAF about them...

but I picked up East of West 1 and 2 this week...

WOW. So good. Really really really impressed.

Read it last night, pretty good. Also read American Vampire it was okay, got a bit too much hype more than it deserves, got annoyed with the "villain" that kept coming back. Will start reading Great Pacific and Fatale soon. The first issue of Morning Glories was odd not sure if I want to read more though, reminds me of several manga I've read before.

The first issue of Morning Glories was odd not sure if I want to read more though, reminds me of several manga I've read before.

Be warned about Morning Glories. It's a Nick Spencer book, so it's going to be a looooong time before you get any real answers. I mean, Issue #27 just came out this past week and we're just beginning to get answers now.

Owzers

i haven't read my last 8 issues of Morning Glories yet and i feel like i've forgotten everything that happened in that series.

Hawkeye got delayed to the end of the month I think.

Minor inconvenience, Pizza Dog is worth the wait.

I was all psyched for Batman/Superman and then I heard Jae Lee's not even making it to the third issue. We got Sook'd.

Holy shit, really? God, I hope that's not true. I like Greg Pak, but Pak *and* Lee are what's putting me on this book.

Not yet. The original messed up time stream was messed up again by Wolverine, but it's still all alternate reality stuff that will be reset by the end of the series. I think the news articles last month solidified that the big game changing outcome of Age of Ultron will be related to Angela joining the Marvel U. Infinity is the real event this year. I bet Age of Ultron would have been cancelled altogether if it wasn't a Bendis pet project. It really doesn't fit into the current Marvel status quo at all.

Okay, so I don't have to feel bad about not following up with anything. I'll watch out for Infinity and maybe the Angela stuff.

i haven't read my last 8 issues of Morning Glories yet and i feel like i've forgotten everything that happened in that series.

You couldn't have, because no one ever had a clue what was going on with the book in the first place.

Actually, at the end of issue #27, there's a few pages with a full recap of the entire series drawn with cartoony characters, and it's way more understandable than the entire series has been up to this point.

Hobobloke

Just got caught up on Journey into Mystery. What a fun comic book. Reminds me of that hellcat mini from a few years back, probably cause its the same writer.

I'm reading the young Loki run at the moment and really enjoying it.

Picked up #652 on a whim the other day too, wasn't too bad either. I'll probably keep reading through it from where I'm at until I get caught up considering all the positive feedback I've seen here.

Glix

My body is ready for some Astro City.

What is the current status of this book?

When it first launched, the first, like, 20 issues or so were some of my favorite shit ever. Writing was so good and the continuity was so tight and the art was great. It really seemed like this universe had been there so long and we were just peeking in now. (note: It seems that effect is SUPER hard to do)

Is it still up to that standard or has it slipped?

Owzers

Fantastic Four #8 was indeed good, as the reviews implied, but not good enough to save me from dropping the book.

strobogo

Banned
Do you think comics will ever go to the Netflix model of releasing the trade first? Netflix putting out their series with all the episodes at once so you can binge them all at once. I don't want to wait a year to read 12 issues or something. I only read trades and collected volumes when I do read comics. I'm not interested in weekly or monthly stories. I want the whole big story all at once. Is that feasible?

Do you think comics will ever go to the Netflix model of releasing the trade first? Netflix putting out their series with all the episodes at once so you can binge them all at once. I don't want to wait a year to read 12 issues or something. I only read trades and collected volumes when I do read comics. I'm not interested in weekly or monthly stories. I want the whole big story all at once. Is that feasible?

Some already do, stuff like the "Earth One" books from DC. Is it a viable model? Maybe. But you run into the problem of having months between releases, months in which a potential customer isn't buying your product, which means you are losing potential brand awareness. Also, while this isn't as much of an issue I'd imagine, the higher price points of trades only would reduce spontaneous purchases.

But in reality, many people already DO trade wait which is what you are basically suggesting. The only difference is that people can purchase it, issue by issue, sooner.

Owzers

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/03/27/marvel-avengers-endless-war-original-graphic-novel-line-warren-ellis-mike-mckone-design-book-market/

sjiIXu5.jpg

Marvel is getting into the OGN game more too, but it's soooooooo sparse. I like trades, hate monthlies, but i read some because i don't want to tradewait everything.

aw that's bad, well, it's always hit or miss with Millar

still, that art.

Don't take mine as the only impression of course. It's a number one issue which means it is all set up. I just didn't find it all that compelling. Others may disagree.

On the other hand, you should check out Ten Grand if you haven't already. Now *that* is a first issue. I'm onboard.

kswiston

Don't take mine as the only impression of course. It's a number one issue which means it is all set up. I just didn't find it all that compelling. Others may disagree.

I sort of lost interest when I found out that the first volume would be 10 issues. As it is, there's a two month gap between #1 and #2. Knowing both Millar and Quitely, delays WILL happen at some point. I think I will just wait until its collected instead of reading 10 floppies over the span of like 3 years.

Okay dudes, I'm finally on the last Bendis/Maleev Daredevil Ultimate collection. Now, do I continue on to the Brubaker run, or go for the Rucka run on Punisher + Warzone?

Really looking forward to batman/superman and superman unchained. Snyder has been on such a roll I hope he can finally give us a good superman comic. batman/superman looks very interesting with the dynamics they're going to focus on and it looks like it's early on which are often the better superman/batman stories imo.

Dartastic

Okay, I had no idea Brian Wood was writing X-Comics. I loved his indie work, how are his X books? And what has he written for them?

Also, Rucka hangs out at a coffee shop I sometimes go to. We've had plenty of nerd talks about stuff. Nice dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom