• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

Dalek

Iceman #1 & #2: 1 was ok, 2 was much better. Why did the book change artists after one issue? The art in #2 was better but it's not great. Loved how Bobby and Kitty were written in #2.

Guardians of the galaxy #4:
dhMeAzK.gif

What a fantastic series so far. Each issue is better than the last. Kuder's art is really fitting and the characters all feel really well written. I feels like their movie counterparts which I'm sure will bother some but I love it. Gamora is straight up fire in #4. Rocket is written much better than Bendis ever achieved. Can't wait for more.

Guardians was fantastic. Perfect book!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Guardians is good now? whos writing it?

Oh Duggan. Well, thats not very surprising then is it? :p

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The Spectacular Spider-Man was pretty good, loving the way Spidey is written. Lots of funny moments.

Hmmmm yesss.

*Looks at all the comics Geoff wrote with people being brutally killed, Superboy forever obsessing about being half Superman and half Lex Luthor and overall helped to make the DC universe overall a more darker deadlier place overall for a decade*

Trump does suck a huge CHEMO though.
His comics can go dark, but there's never a sense of hopelessness. You always believe the heroes can come back.
Liking Sue and Reed over Ben and Johnny is weird.

I like Reed over Johnny but yeah that is weird.

Honestly they really should go into the loss of their nephew/niece though.

I find Johnny the most boring member. He's got nothing for me. Ben, Reed, and Sue, though? Aces.

Lol, I honestly have no clue about the creative team, but I know some folks in the thread recently just played Wolfenstein/The Old Blood, and lol, how good would it be if this is good?

Won't hold my breath, but y'know. Titan also announced new Dishonored & The Evil Within comic series. The Dishonored series has changed writers, over to Michael Moreci.

Sandfox

Just finished this week's Daredevil and Soule is a genius. He's using his lawyer knowledge to the best of his ability and it's crazy looking back at how he set the current story up. Matt was absolutely glorious in this issue.

Daredevil is by far one of my favorite ongoings currently and Soule has elevated himself in my eyes this year.

A Fantastic Two book. Really? Guessing it'll be a Bendis book since Infamous Iron Man ends in September at #12 like most of Marvel's "It's an ongoing, not a limited series!" books.

Sandfox

A Fantastic Two book. Really? Guessing it'll be a Bendis book since Infamous Iron Man ends in September at #12 like most of Marvel's "It's an ongoing, not a limited series!" books.

Infamous will likely be replaced with an Ironheart book while Tony takes Invinicble Ironman back over.

PsychBat!

Banned
Two things bothered me about Spidey.

It was dialogue heavy

And they explained how heroes get their shit fixed. Takes away a sense of curiosity imo.

Wildstorm spoilers

Kenesha was a Kehurbim, and was actually Zealot's daughter.

In the old books the Kherubim were good and the Daemonites were evil (angels vs demons, Jim Lee was so clever! ha). Both races ended up on Earth thousands of years ago when battling ships crashed here.

Like I said though, I have a feeling that is going to be flipped this go round.

Awesome, thank you.

Does the original WildCATS hold up at all? I see the absolute coming out later this year.

I think maybe Reed (especially) and Sue are easier to get a handle on when writing them than Ben and Johnny. You can always write Reed as the really smart guy and Sue as the mom. For Ben and Johnny you've got to write deeper than Johnny being a jack ass and Ben just clobberin things. Some writers get it, some don't.

Johnny has a lot of insecurities about himself which he covers up with the jock/jack ass persona and Ben has obviously a lot of insecurities about his looks. I always like the Ben stuff where they go back in to how he was big in the old community he grew up in.

caliph95

Reading Ed Brubaker's run and i don't care for the artist that replaces Darwyn Cooke and Cameron Stewart almost feels like a different book
I think maybe Reed (especially) and Sue are easier to get a handle on when writing them than Ben and Johnny. You can always write Reed as the really smart guy and Sue as the mom. For Ben and Johnny you've got to write deeper than Johnny being a jack ass and Ben just clobberin things. Some writers get it, some don't.

Johnny has a lot of insecurities about himself which he covers up with the jock/jack ass persona and Ben has obviously a lot of insecurities about his looks. I always like the Ben stuff where they go back in to how he was big in the old community he grew up in.
I do notice with Johhny same with Damian that they keep repeating his character development

Read Black Panther The Crew Issue 3, the more issues I read of this the more annoyed I am that the cancellations coming. The series is really starting to build up and hit its stride.

I love the stuff about the past version of the crew (the first harlem heros) and how it was influenced by the black rights movement and other events happening in the world around that time. Definitely intrigued how they were tied into wakanda back in the past as well. I don't have the problem with Nick Spencers cap story as some have here, but if anything this is a story thats the other side of the coin. Whereas Spencers stuff is all about empire building and how if your not watching out for it a dictatorship can grow before you know it, this is all about seeing that empire treating you wrong and rising up in your community to stop it. The issues that the first heroes in Harlem encountered years ago sadly haven't changed which is leading to the new team having to form years later.

The bit with the housing complex
shaped like the Hydra logo was a bit on the nose though ha
Its a shame that Coates tried to bring back the crew because he felt it was a underated series cut short too quickly back when he was a kid reading comics and now his version of it is going to be exactly the same things.

Messi

Read Black Panther The Crew Issue 3, the more issues I read of this the more annoyed I am that the cancellations coming. The series is really starting to build up and hit its stride.

I love the stuff about the past version of the crew (the first harlem heros) and how it was influenced by the black rights movement and other events happening in the world around that time. Definitely intrigued how they were tied into wakanda back in the past as well. I don't have the problem with Nick Spencers cap story as some have here, but if anything this is a story thats the other side of the coin. Whereas Spencers stuff is all about empire building and how if your not watching out for it a dictatorship can grow before you know it, this is all about seeing that empire treating you wrong and rising up in your community to stop it. The issues that the first heroes in Harlem encountered years ago sadly haven't changed which is leading to the new team having to form years later.

The bit with the housing complex
shaped like the Hydra logo was a bit on the nose though ha
Its a shame that Coates tried to bring back the crew because he felt it was a underated series cut short too quickly back when he was a kid reading comics and now his version of it is going to be exactly the same things.

The Crew are still gonna be in Black Panther if solicits are correct. Not saying that makes it ok. But Coates is not abandoning the idea.

The Crew are still gonna be in Black Panther if solicits are correct. Not saying that makes it ok. But Coates is not abandoning the idea.

Yeah I remember reading that, the way he seems to be writing his black panther arcs though, it seems like there going to be around 12 issues a piece and one big story per arc, so with this arc seeming to be about the gods of wakanda I don't think we'll see the crew or the issues that the crews own book is trying to deal with in anything other than short cameo roles. Maybe in a future arc, but the way Marvel is going with series who says Coates will even get to stay on Panther further than the second season hes on now.

I don't think he'd be able to get away with doing the story he's doing in the crew series in the panther solo series away. Its more about the history of harlem, I mean we haven't even had panther really in it until the third issue.

Wouldn't be suprised if Storm goes back to becoming a Panther solo regular character though, they seem to be almost back to a couple again across the solo series and the crew.

Just finished this week's Daredevil and Soule is a genius. He's using his lawyer knowledge to the best of his ability and it's crazy looking back at how he set the current story up. Matt was absolutely glorious in this issue.

Daredevil is by far one of my favorite ongoings currently and Soule has elevated himself in my eyes this year.

Yeah, this Soule run on Daredevil has been *fantastic*. The style Garney went with (very limited color palette, tons of hatching and lines, etc) ends up fitting the feel of the comic so well too.

One thing I really loved about the first arc especially (Tenfingers) is that is was not at all decompressed. I felt like each issue actually accomplished something and contained more than one scene. Like, with a bunch of other writers these days those 5 issues would have taken...10? 15? Issues to tell the same story, and it wouldn't have been any better for it.

I've only read two of the DC/Looney Tune cross-overs(WW and Martian Manhunter) but they've both been really bad with the back-ups, that are more in the style of the Looney Tunes, are so much better. If only the whole issues were more like that.

I think I'm giving up on getting Dragon of Dojima style to 999. Will get as much complete as I can before my USA trip and Kiwami coming out. Up to 100+ hours now.

I'm still not done with 0. I've been playing it off and on since it came out between other games when I can, but sometimes I get too bored.

tim1138

Awesome, thank you.

Does the original WildCATS hold up at all? I see the absolute coming out later this year.

It's been years since I went back to the original WildCATS, but I'd have a hard time believing it still holds up. I'm sure it's getting an Absolute edition is for Jim Lee's art more than anything else.

WildCATS 3.0 on the other hand is great and the whole run should be on CMX.

There was a time Alan Moore had a run on it, so that was probably good

otherwise the only one i heard huge acaliam for the tittle was Joe Caseys Wildcats 3.0

It's been years since I went back to the original WildCATS, but I'd have a hard time believing it still holds up. I'm sure it's getting an Absolute edition is for Jim Lee's art more than anything else.

WildCATS 3.0 on the other hand is great and the whole run should be on CMX.

Two votes for 3.0. Will definitely give it a shot.

https://www.comixology.com/Wildcats-Version-3-0/comics-series/7890

Just these 24 issues right?

frye

Two votes for 3.0. Will definitely give it a shot.

https://www.comixology.com/Wildcats-Version-3-0/comics-series/7890

Just these 24 issues right?

v2 is very good also and worth trying out before 3.0. Scott Lobdell does the first 8 issues with Travis Charest and it's kinda run of the mill outside of Charest who I like a lot but Joe Casey and Sean Philips take over after that and it's very compelling turn of the millennium superhero comics. 3.0 (which Casey also writes) is glitzier and has a more compelling two word hook ("corporate superheroes!) but v2 great in its own right

Yep, that's the whole run.

Perfect, thanks.

v2 is very good also and worth trying out before 3.0. Scott Lobdell does the first 8 issues with Travis Charest and it's kinda run of the mill outside of Charest who I like a lot but Joe Casey and Sean Philips take over after that and it's very compelling turn of the millennium superhero comics. 3.0 (which Casey also writes) is glitzier and has a more compelling two word hook ("corporate superheroes!) but v2 great in its own right

Is that on cmx? I only see 3.0 and a run written by the NGage? (looks like v5)

Top Bottom