• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

Aizo

Banned
Dropped Superman (finally), Super-Sons, and Batwoman. I'm on a roll! All perfectly good comics, especially the first two. But some stuff's gotta get dropped. And I just don't seem to be a main line DC person. The Wild Storm is the only DC book left on my list.

The only thing I liked about The Defenders #1 was Jessica Jones. Maybe I'll check out the first run of Alias when it goes on sale again. Is it recommended to read the first run before the current run?
What are the other things on your pull list?

Mindwipe

19554134_10156262812202542_5393305003947054819_n.jpg

This design is SICK

Holy crap, that's great. Like the best original costume design since... well, Spider-Gwen. It's a cool spin on the character's outfit while being as creepy as fuck.

I bought Ex-Machina and the complete Doom Patrol omnis in that Vertigo CMX sale. That feels like a good set for £32.

tim1138

Thanks for writing all that up. The wish machine sounds pretty dumb. I still feel like I don't know much about the multiverses or great powers of the DC cosmos like I understand in Marvel.

The wish machine is amazing and pretty much a perfect ending.

DC doesn't have cosmic entities in the sense Marvel does (Galactus, Order, Chaos, Living Tribunal, etc). The heavy hitters for DC are the New Gods, the Anti-Monitor, the Guardians of the Universe, the Spectre, Phantom Stranger, Trigon, Neron, and a few other religious entities.

DC's cosmic side is mostly centered on the various Lantern Corps and Legion of Super-Heroes.

Aizo

Banned

DC doesn't have cosmic entities in the sense Marvel does (Galactus, Order, Chaos, Living Tribunal, etc). The heavy hitters for DC are the New Gods, the Anti-Monitor, the Guardians of the Universe, the Spectre, Phantom Stranger, Trigon, Neron, and a few other religious entities.

DC's cosmic side is mostly centered on the various Lantern Corps and Legion of Super-Heroes.
I imagine the wish machine sounds less contrived if I actually read the comic.

I am such a DC newbie. I don't even know where to start with all this. I don't know a few of those, and I only know Trigon because Teen Titans is the DC comic I've read most.

Green Lantern seems cool, but it's also intimidating. I wish I could get comics from libraries here and just borrow omnibi.

VanWinkle

I am such a DC newbie. I don't even know where to start with all this. I don't know a few of those, and I only know Trigon because Teen Titans is the DC comic I've read most.

Green Lantern seems cool, but it's also intimidating. I wish I could get comics from libraries here and just borrow omnibi.

DC The New Frontier is the perfect book for DC newbies.

With Green Lantern, just read through the Geoff Johns run from I think 2004 to 2013. It's collected in 3 omnis if you collect physical books.

Aizo

Banned

With Green Lantern, just read through the Geoff Johns run from I think 2004 to 2013. It's collected in 3 omnis if you collect physical books.
I wish New Frontier wasn't 40 bucks. I put that on my CMX wishlist last week, actually. I only buy phyical graphic novels like My Favorite Thing is Monsters and Boundless, as a well as manga. I have to be very picky due to my living space and Japanese prices (which explains why importing omnibi is brutal and why manga is very easy to buy physically--cheap too).
Also, I have moved once or twice a year every year for the past 5 years. I can't own a ton of physical stuff. I'm actually moving again on Monday. Dammit!! I hate moving!

Mindwipe

Ehhh. The Spectre is clearly a cosmic entity. And it has Chaos and Order (Hawk and Dove after all). And The Source and The Presence.

tim1138

Ehhh. The Spectre is clearly a cosmic entity. And it has Chaos and Order (Hawk and Dove after all). And The Source and The Presence.

Right, but the Marvel entities/abstractions are part of the fabric of the universe and have no true physical forms. The Spectre is the wrath of God, but if he went away the DC universe would continue as normal. Honestly the closest thing DC had to the Marvel entities were the emotional avatars for the Lanterns who were created by and represented the purest form of that particular emotion.

Scott, Bug, Lightray, and some other unidentifiable New Gods are on Apokolips fighting parademons. Parademons horde Scott and pull him off his aero discs. He gets back on to rejoin the battle. There's a huge clash below him. He flies down to investigate. He pulls a sword from a dead parademon and stabs an off panel aggressor.

Thanks, this clears it up a bit. Think I was getting confused by the coloring seeming to slightly change and making me think it was different lighting on the same character or something like that.

I wish New Frontier wasn't 40 bucks. I put that on my CMX wishlist last week

You can buy it digitally on Amazon, which adds it to your CMX account if you've linked the accounts, for $19.24.

No, nobody knows why Amazon and CMX prices are occasionally so different from each other when Amazon owns CMX.

GuessWho

Hey guys, I just finished reading The visions, which was freaking awesome and I want to read something else. I'm curious about the new Thor. Which is the best story arc from the new Thor? or one that you guys recommend? I can't decide between Thor, Volume 1: The Goddess of Thunder or The Mighty Thor, Volume 1: Thunder in Her Veins. Are they separate story arcs? I'm a bit confused...btw I only like reading graphic novels.
Thanks for the recommendations!

Messi

Hey guys, I just finished reading The visions, which was freaking awesome and I want to read something else. I'm curious about the new Thor. Which is the best story arc from the new Thor? or one that you guys recommend? I can't decide between Thor, Volume 1: The Goddess of Thunder or The Mighty Thor, Volume 1: Thunder in Her Veins. Are they separate story arcs? I'm a bit confused...btw I only like reading graphic novels.
Thanks for the recommendations!

The story is one long arc. Start with Vol 1 of Thor, the God butcher which stars odinson follow that book for 4 arcs and then it moves over to new Thor. It's an amazing story and ride. I wouldn't just skip to new thor.

God of Thunder
Thor
Mighty Thor
Unworthy Thor

This is an ongoing saga.

GuessWho

The story is one long arc. Start with Vol 1 of Thor, the God butcher which stars odinson follow that book for 4 arcs and then it moves over to new Thor. It's an amazing story and ride. I wouldn't just skip to new thor.

God of Thunder
Thor
Mighty Thor #1-14
Unworthy Thor
Mighty Thor #15+

Thank you so much! I'll start with the butcher!

God of Thunder
Thor
Mighty Thor
Unworthy Thor

This is an ongoing saga.
Yeah I'd start at the beginning. I just got into it fairly recently and I was mostly interested in the current series, but it's definitely worth it to start at God Butcher. Really good comic.

Messi

Thank you so much! I'll start with the butcher!

Get the beautiful hardcovers

Vol 1 collects the full God butcher story
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/THOR-GOD-OF-THUNDER-HC-VOL-01/JUN140717

Vol 2 is the next two arcs that lead to new Thor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0785198008/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Vol 1 of the new series is collected here
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/THOR-BY-JASON-AARON-AND-RUSSELL-DAUTERMAN-HC-VOL-01/MAR160920

The next two volumes will be collected in a few months once those arcs finish.

Enjoy the ride.

GuessWho

Get the beautiful hardcovers

Vol 1 collects the full God butcher story
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/THOR-GOD-OF-THUNDER-HC-VOL-01/JUN140717

Vol 2 is the next two arcs that lead to new Thor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0785198008/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Vol 1 of the new series is collected here
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/THOR-BY-JASON-AARON-AND-RUSSELL-DAUTERMAN-HC-VOL-01/MAR160920

The next two volumes will be collected in a few months once those arcs finish.

Enjoy the ride.
Wow thanks again! :)

Scott Snyder said a few things on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/879901602567639040
Truth is, I was chatting with some @DCComics folks tonight and I'm really proud to be a part of what's coming this summer, fall & into 2018

Like this summer/fall for ex. DC has books coming like Mr. Miracle, which will blow you away for the groundbreaking storytelling & artistry

But then they're also letting Greg and I push things at the other end of the line with an event - DC Metal - that's designed to be wall to

wall kid joy fun - like our own crazy take on what a crisis level story can be today. New concepts, characters, etc. Then the stories coming

In books like Detective, Flash, Superman... Plus they're trying new talent on new titles, some announced, some about to be, that's all new

blood. And lastly, they're literally creating new lanes to drive in for creators that will be announced soon, new initiatives, lines,

that are going to give us some crazy big opportunities. Bottom line, I've always tried to be honest about the stuff I point to here, the

the stuff I truly like. Whether Marvel, DC, Image, anything. Shit I DON'T like, I don't talk positively about, movies, books, whatever (I

get asked often if we get pressured to do this for company stuff and we don't really, but online there's always pressure to weigh in). But

pt is, from the ground & from 30k ft up, the plans @DCComics has for summer 2017 thru summer 2018 are genuinely exciting to me as a creator

& as a fan
And also.
https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/879911109217710081
No bullshit, I literally pitched a Dave McKean art style Det Chimp book this week. Like a passion project. That's how fun it is right now.

VanWinkle

I wish New Frontier wasn't 40 bucks. I put that on my CMX wishlist last week, actually. I only buy phyical graphic novels like My Favorite Thing is Monsters and Boundless, as a well as manga. I have to be very picky due to my living space and Japanese prices (which explains why importing omnibi is brutal and why manga is very easy to buy physically--cheap too).
Also, I have moved once or twice a year every year for the past 5 years. I can't own a ton of physical stuff. I'm actually moving again on Monday. Dammit!! I hate moving!

Ah okay. The GL stuff is pretty extensive when not in the omnis. Like 15-20 collected editions, and they're not in a "vol 1 - vol 2 - vol 3 - vol 4 - etc" format.

You could get New Frontier in singles on CMX for $20 total. You wouldn't get the ~60 pages of back matter, but it would still be VERY much worth it.

That's a lot lol.

Haha yeah, but I was thinking in terms of omnis, since there are just three for the full run. But in there you get tons of DC cosmic stuff.

Wanderer5

Well, came back from seeing Grave of the Fireflies, and now I am sad. :( It was nice to finally see it and also in theaters through (with the JP dub at that).

I need something happy! Maybe I'll just read some Squirrel Girl before bed.

A new Midnight Sons book is coming out???? Why wasn't I informed??

Spirits-of-Vengeance.gif
I mean, it does have characters in it

Fuck I've been waiting for a supernatural team book in the vein of Justice League Dark since that ended. Looks like this is it.

The Omega Men. You don't need any DC knowledge at all. It's basically a space opera. Also, as far as newbie books that I'd recommend aside from that, Gail Simone's Secret Six (2014) is one I'd pick out as well. Again, zero DC knowledge required. I want to say Kingdom Come, because it's fucking amazing as far as a study into modern superheroics vs silver/golden age superheroics, but also as a character piece on the characters in question, which requires at least a fairly basic understanding of the characters.

Also New 52 Earth 2 is the most superhero superhero book ever. Fucking superheroes, son.
Code:
[img]http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11122/111229114/4825678-earth-2-025-(2014)-(digital)-(nahga-empire)-010.jpg[/img]

Aizo

Banned
I'm not a total newbie, but I am compared to you all. Grew up reading Teen Titans and watching all the DC cartoons. I've read most of the most well liked Batman stories and old Wolfman and Rucka Wonderwoman. Some flash and some Superman... that's pretty much it.

The only reason I know most characters is because they interacted with Teen Titans at some point. That's the only time I've seen Omega Men. I love Tom King and intend to pick up Omega Men in the inevitable comic con sale coming soon.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I don't know anything about Mister Miracle but those pages sure are making me want to read his new run.

Readin the most recent Batwoman by Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams III collection. Something I love about Kate's design overall is how she comes off as a fucking demon. Red and black and white. Just purely demonic and terrifying.
I'm not a total newbie, but I am compared to you all. Grew up reading Teen Titans and watching all the DC cartoons. I've read most of the most well liked Batman stories and old Wolfman and Rucka Wonderwoman. Some flash and some Superman... that's pretty much it.

The only reason I know most characters is because they interacted with Teen Titans at some point. That's the only time I've seen Omega Men. I love Tom King and intend to pick up Omega Men in the inevitable comic con sale coming soon.
Then Kingdom Come for sure. Chuck Dixon's Nightwing run (which is being recollected and has had five volumes at this point). Most if not all of the current Rebirth stuff.

Lemire/Sorrentino Green Arrow. Milligan and Lemire's runs on Justice League Dark (the first three trades).

IMHO New Frontier is the greatest comic ever published. I'm rereading it at the moment.

I don't know anything about Mister Miracle but those pages sure are making me want to read his new run.

Me neither beyond his appearances in the cartoon's but he's always fascinated me. I'm probably going to pick up that collection coming in September as well as this new series.

Top Bottom