• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
From Kurt Busiek's Twitter:

fiXUI7N.jpg

Hhyfx1G.gif

GolazoDan

Hi ComicGAF!

I drop in and out of getting comic books, I usually read the trade paperbacks. However, I'd occasionally like to get single issues. Are there any places online in the UK that do that? Everywhere I find is an American site or digital downloads.

Thanks duders!

bernardobri

Astro City, as a whole, is an anthology about the rise, the glory and decompression of the superhero genre. We get to see heroes that are an "homage" to other established icons, but Astro City's heroes have their own spin, such as as a different human aspect or a subvertion of their heroic paradigm that it's not seen or hasn't been approached in detail into the hero that they are based upon. Another prevalent aspect is seen from the public eye, like a mailman or a police officer, and how superheroes affect their lives in one way or another. Most of these viewpoints are approached from just one issue to a whole arc, and it's greatly detailed, like if a whole city that moves itself in order to convey the message.

To put it simple, Astro City is a comic book about superhero culture in the same way that The Wire is a tv drama/cop show about North-American culture.

kswiston

I'm on the second Bendis/Maleev Ultimate Collection of Daredevil, and this shit is stellar. How was I not a Daredevil fan before like, a month ago?

Are the Brubaker Ultimate Collections worth getting as well?

Brubaker's first story arc is great and definitely worth reading. Overall though, I didn't like his run nearly as much as Bendis'

frye

Personally, I rate the Devil in Cell Block D over anything Bendis and Maleev did. Its only flaw is that the colours are so shit they almost ruin Lark/Gaudiano and Aja. Hollingsworth comes back the next arc and it's an insanely huge improvement. The rest of the run is not as good but it's still worth reading, especially that Kingpin ish (which is sooo great).

bernardobri

I've never read an Astro City book in my life.

If you like superheroes you should grab it next week. If you like it, get the first volumes. All trades/hardcovers are self-contained stories that focus on certain characters at the time, and some of the trades approach a whole arc while others are compilations of one-shots or one issue stories.

Vyer

man, I didn't even know there was going to be more Astro City. Haven't read one of those books in a long time.

Looking forward to picking that up.

Nudull

Banned
All this talk about Astro City makes me all the more curious to check it out. Next week seems to be pretty small for me, so why the hell not?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hey guys, if I wanted to see the best renditions of the Superman/Lois Lane relationship what should I read?

That's a damn good question. When I think of all the stuff we usually suggest when it comes to Superman, there isn't anything like that in the suggestions. I am definitely interested in this answer.

ReiGun

I think Secret Identity, while not having the traditional Supes and Lois, handled their relationship very well.

Greg Rucka did a run on Superman and people have told me it did the relationship really well. I have not read it myself tho, and thus can't truly recommend it. But it might be worth looking into at least.

frye

Seconding Secret Identity even though it's not a traditional portrayal of them. I like All-Star Supes too, even though Morrison doesn't really have huge range when it comes to women.

Romance is always a secondary concern in superhero comics, which I think makes it hard to pinpoint stories that do it well. Even something as quintessential as Batman/Catwoman has... Hush? Maybe? Wonder Woman/Batman from the cartoon has Kelly/Mahnke JLA as its only good portrayal. Carol/Hal is supposed to be a big deal in Johns' GL but it all feels very superficial.

Forever

Banned
Seconding Secret Identity even though it's not a traditional portrayal of them. I like All-Star Supes too, even though Morrison doesn't really have huge range when it comes to women.

Romance is always a secondary concern in superhero comics, which I think makes it hard to pinpoint stories that do it well. Even something as quintessential as Batman/Catwoman has... Hush? Maybe? Wonder Woman/Batman from the cartoon has Kelly/Mahnke JLA as its only good portrayal. Carol/Hal is supposed to be a big deal in Johns' GL but it all feels very superficial.

I read Ult Spidey recently and thought the romance was handled really well there and I liked the Lois/Superman dynamic when I watched Superman Unbound so I was wondering if there was anything considered definitive in the comics. I'll take a look at Secret Identity.

I'm on the second Bendis/Maleev Ultimate Collection of Daredevil, and this shit is stellar. How was I not a Daredevil fan before like, a month ago?

Yeah I just ran through that entire run and all of Daredevil up to now. Amazing series. Hornhead is my new favorite Marvel character I think..

And by the way-X-Men #1 is so good.

Tizoc

hOLD up, what's Rafa banned for, brahs?!

From Kurt Busiek's Twitter:

Hhyfx1G.gif

WHAT?! WHAT WHAT!!?!?!
NEW ASTRO CITY?!
I started re-reading it the other day and plan on finally reading Dark Age series since I stopped before then.
MUST CATCH UP BEFORE READING THE NEW ONE, YEAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Hi ComicGAF!

I drop in and out of getting comic books, I usually read the trade paperbacks. However, I'd occasionally like to get single issues. Are there any places online in the UK that do that? Everywhere I find is an American site or digital downloads.

Thanks duders!

I mainly use Amazon.co.uk ^_^;

Hey guys, if I wanted to see the best renditions of the Superman/Lois Lane relationship what should I read?

Hmm good question, what some GAFfers posted is fine, but there's also Smallville Season 11.

While I liked the Bendis+Maleev run, it was Waid's run that made me like DD.

tim1138

^

Gonna have to sell me on it.

Bernardobri did a great job summing it up. It's a creator owned series by Kurt Busiek that explores the relationship between a city and its heroes. Each arc (and trade) is a self contained story that covers a specific era in the history of Astro City-the stories don't necessarily move in a linear fashion through time. Basically if you like superheroes at all you really owe it yourself to check the series out. It's absolutely brilliant.

I'm actually surprised that so many people here haven't read it and don't know what it is.

8bit

Knows the Score
After years out of print, 2000AD have announced reprints of Grant Morrison & Steve Yeowell's Zenith.

969580_10151416445681366_1193091064_n.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenith_(comics)

IMO this is Grant Morrison's best work and something I've been hoping for a reprint of for years. Phase III in particular is a massive crossover of British comic book characters and one of my most fondly remembered stories from the comic.

tim1138

Isn't that being done without Morrison's approval? And doesn't he still own some of the rights to the characters and story?

8bit

Knows the Score
Isn't that being done without Morrison's approval? And doesn't he still own some of the rights to the characters and story?

I don't think anyone (other than Rebellion and/or Morrison & Yeowell) actually know right now, but it does seem a little vague. Single hardcover print run of 1000, priced at 100 quid so not really as easily accessible to the masses as it deserves though.

Holy crap at the end of JLA.

Yes indeed. I'm calling fake out. I'm guessing
she has just used up one of her nine lives.
There's still the unresolved issue of the
identity thief, I doubt they'd kill her off without resolving that loose thread.
Great issue I thought, there was much foreshadowing. Did you notice the
multiple globes of the Earth, suggesting the Secret Society is aware of the existence of the multi-verse?

tim1138

Yes indeed. I'm calling fake out. I'm guessing
she has just used up one of her nine lives.
There's still the unresolved issue of the
identity thief, I doubt they'd kill her off and without resolving that loose end.
Great issue I thought, there was much foreshadowing. Did you notice the
multiple globes of the Earth, suggesting the Secret Society is aware of the existence of the multi-verse?

Oh yeah I don't believe for a minute it's permanent, especially since
she's in all the Trinity war art.
I did catch the
the globes. The Secret Society being aware of the multi verse wouldn't surprise me at all. Hell even ARGUS knows about it (as seen in last years FCBD issue.

And how about the end of the MMH back up? You can announce that Kindt is writing a MMH solo book any day now DC.

Oh yeah I don't believe for a minute it's permanent, especially since
she's in all the Trinity war art.
I did catch the
the globes. The Secret Society being aware of the multi verse wouldn't surprise me at all. Hell even ARGUS knows about it (as seen in last years FCBD issue.

And how about the end of the MMH back up? You can announce that Kindt is writing a MMH solo book any day now DC.

If DC announces a Kindt written MMH solo, alongside the rumoured Booster Gold and Shazam books... I will have no words. His back-ups are just killing it. I've honestly not been exposed to MMH outside of his animated series' appearances, but he's quickly becoming a favourite.

tim1138

If DC announces a Kindt written MMH solo, alongside the rumoured Booster Gold and Shazam books... I will have no words. His back-ups are just killing it. I've honestly not been exposed to MMH outside of his animated series' appearances, but he's quickly becoming a favourite.

If I keep talking about it enough, maybe I can will it into existence.

Ephidel

Hi ComicGAF!

Thanks duders!

Disposable Heroes are pretty good for single issues, and their prices are in line with what I usually pay. I don't know what they're like for weekly pulls because I use my LCS for that, but their pre-order and semi-sub order system sounds reasonable. (You don't need to buy previews. Solicits are available online, and comixology tends to have a browsable version with all the blurbs).
I often use them to fill in gaps if I get into a (recent) series late or if my LCS doesn't get an issue for some reason, and they normally arrive in about a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom