• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alan Moore was using the good stuff.

IxqLky0.jpg

Hey comics-gaf, tell me what to get from this Image sale that isn't Easy of West since I'm already going to get that.

Some less common recommends beyond the (correct) Saga / Wicked+Divine / Lazarus / EastofWest /Monstress recommends:

the Prophet reboot (freaking amazing head-trip sci-fi, also completed which is nice)
Casanova (Fraction's best stuff ever maybe)
Fatale (creepy Noir with a Lovecraftian twist, completed)
Head Lopper (...COMICS!!!!)
Madman (classic older Allred insanity)
Manifest Destiny (Americana monsters)
Manhattan Projects (crazy art, maybe the most "COMICS!" on the list along with Headlopper)
Nowhere Men (science as celebrity gone horribly wrong)
Orc Stain (the colors! The coloooooors. Fantasy comic that doesn't suck, which is rare)
Rumble (crazy fighting comic... most of the BPRD team is on this)
Sex Criminals (a bit divisive, but I think it's really well done)

D&Q is having a 40% off sale till Monday!

https://www.drawnandquarterly.com/owners-manual-terrible-parenting

Would recommend

Anything by Guy Delisle (Burma Chronicles, Pyongyang, Shenzhen, Jerusalem)
Supermutant Magic Academy
Mooncop
Sitcks Angelica, Folk Hero
Shigeru Mizuki's Showa: A History of Japan series
Hark a Vagrant books if you want them in physical editions
Killing and Dying

There are a ton more I have been wanting to try, might jump in at this discount.

God Hates Astronauts is a classic comic run overflowing with creativity. It's also damn hilarious, unlike 99% of the "funny" comics that release every year.

God Hates Astronauts manages to be a great book while also being completely random most of the time. Shutter does this to a lesser extent, but GHA is a master class. I've been enjoying Curse Words as well, but it doesn't hit the same notes that Astronauts did.

Wanderer5

Hm least another day with that Image sale. Maybe I will just least collect trades for Saga digitally, since I haven't bothered getting the last few physically.

I would probably check out something new, but think I will just leave it at Saga and Paper Girls for now regarding Image stuff.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I'm drawn to DC characters/stories yet it seems Marvel is really awesome about digital comics with a super nice subscription service in Marvel Unlimited and DC is just dicking around releasing a random small handful of ancient runs on Comixology. Am I correct in thinking that? I was thinking of exploring DC Rebirth but it's kind of a nuisance with the way they do things.

So I'm drawn to DC characters/stories yet it seems Marvel is really awesome about digital comics with a super nice subscription service in Marvel Unlimited and DC is just dicking around releasing a random small handful of ancient runs on Comixology. Am I correct in thinking that? I was thinking of exploring DC Rebirth but it's kind of a nuisance with the way they do things.

It depends on whether your goal is to stay current or not. New books won't pop up on MU until six months after their initial release. So if that's not a concern for you, then it's a great value.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It depends on whether your goal is to stay current or not. New books won't pop up on MU until six months after their initial release. So if that's not a concern for you, then it's a great value.
Yeah, that's fine to me, but on the DC side of things it seems you can't even get a sub that would let you read New 52 stuff. They just don't have it, so unless you have a spare thousand bucks to drop it's pretty much impossible to get a nice overall perspective of the state of the DCU. MU is great for doing that then deciding what characters appeal to you enough to keep a close focus on them and sub to be current with them. It's way a smarter business model and more appealing proposition for a newcomer but I'm not as drawn to Marvel things.

this has been in my queue forever, time to bump it up
do you start with Saga of or what?

I started with Moore. There was a sale (I think during the holidays) where I picked it all up. Starts slow while he cleans up the mess that came before, then it's all out madness.
https://www.comixology.com/Saga-of-...luZGV4L3RhYmxldC9zbGlkZXJMaXN0L2l0ZW1TbGlkZXI

God Hates Astronauts manages to be a great book while also being completely random most of the time. Shutter does this to a lesser extent, but GHA is a master class. I've been enjoying Curse Words as well, but it doesn't hit the same notes that Astronauts did.

Curse Words is a great comic and it might end with a better story, but it feels weak compared to the insanity that was God Hates Astronauts. I wish Ryan Browne just said fuck it and put out another solo book. I'm willing to wait. Soule isn't nearly as funny or clever.

There's a rumored DC Unlimited option paired with a TV streaming option, but I'm not sure of any specifics or dates. Could just be smoke, but many of us have wanted that option for years. Blah blah blah DC trades sell well blah blah blah.

Urgh, fell asleep watching the fighting game tournaments. Will have to watch some replays at work later.

Aside from Amazon, does anyone know a good store that ships to Europe? Still looking for JSA omnibus 2 and 3 for a good price...

tim1138

Yeah, that's fine to me, but on the DC side of things it seems you can't even get a sub that would let you read New 52 stuff. They just don't have it, so unless you have a spare thousand bucks to drop it's pretty much impossible to get a nice overall perspective of the state of the DCU. MU is great for doing that then deciding what characters appeal to you enough to keep a close focus on them and sub to be current with them. It's way a smarter business model and more appealing proposition for a newcomer but I'm not as drawn to Marvel things.

If you are in the US, see if your public library has a subscription to Hoopla (https://www.hoopladigital.com/my/hoopla).

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What ever happened with Paul Pope's Battling Boy? Googled around to see if he said anything about it but the only thing I was able to find was that Jason Mantzoukas is writing a script for a movie.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
D&Q is having a 40% off sale till Monday!

https://www.drawnandquarterly.com/owners-manual-terrible-parenting

Would recommend

Anything by Guy Delisle (Burma Chronicles, Pyongyang, Shenzhen, Jerusalem)
Supermutant Magic Academy
Mooncop
Sitcks Angelica, Folk Hero
Shigeru Mizuki's Showa: A History of Japan series
Hark a Vagrant books if you want them in physical editions
Killing and Dying

There are a ton more I have been wanting to try, might jump in at this discount.

I'd add Hostage to the Guy Delisle recs and really anything by Adrian Tomine is great. Nice list!

If you are in the US, see if your public library has a subscription to Hoopla (https://www.hoopladigital.com/my/hoopla).

If you are in the US, try tim's Hoopla suggestion or also check out your local library. Many of them have comics sections.

You might also want to see what is available on scribd. They have some valiant and DC I believe. (And should also have a free trial).

I'd add Hostage to the Guy Delisle recs and really anything by Adrian Tomine is great. Nice list!

I haven't read Hostage yet, I've been wanting to. Glad to know it holds up with the rest of his work.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So I don't get Secret Empire. I was somewhat interested when the whole Captain Hydra deal started, but the actual issues have (seemingly?) nothing to do with that whole plot and just go into some kind of alternate history earth, which shockingly seems exactly like the latest SHIELD season overall, but with less interesting arcs. Did I miss something?

Cap made some heroes being stuck in space, some in New York, and suddenly it cuts to "Everything is Hydra". I would understand if this would be a mastercrafted Hickman story, but it's very clearly not. What gives?

Messi

So I don't get Secret Empire. I was somewhat interested when the whole Captain Hydra deal started, but the actual issues have (seemingly?) nothing to do with that whole plot and just go into some kind of alternate history earth, which shockingly seems exactly like the latest SHIELD season overall, but with less interesting arcs. Did I miss something?

Cap made some heroes being stuck in space, some in New York, and suddenly it cuts to "Everything is Hydra". I would understand if this would be a mastercrafted Hickman story, but it's very clearly not. What gives?

Nick Spencer isn't a very good writer.

Both comedic books. This is a whole different beast.
So? You made a highly sweeping statement that's he's a flat out bad writer. Which isn't the case. Brubaker writes bad team books, but is great at crime/noir. That doesn't make him a bad writer.

See also Bendis and his event writing. A writer you defend multiple times on the board. Remender and Axis. The list can go on and on. Especially for events

Owzers

So? You made a highly sweeping statement that's he's a flat out bad writer. Which isn't the case. Brubaker writes bad team books, but is great at crime/noir. That doesn't make him a bad writer.

See also Bendis and his event writing. A writer you defend multiple times on the board. Remender and Axis. The list can go on and on. Especially for events

Is it similar to Messi and Olivia Wilde posts? He can still be a good poster despite this.

Messi

I think he is a bad writer. It's an opinion. It's ok to disagree. Especially true when he writes anything that isn't comedy based.

I think he is a bad writer. It's an opinion. It's ok to disagree. Especially true when he writes anything that isn't comedy based.
Of course I know it's ok to disagree. I know how discussion boards work. But I also think it's a bad discussion point to the topic the person was asking about. Just responding "hes a bad writer" contributes nothing. Why not try engaging the topic or just don't bother. Explain why you think so in regards to secret empire.

Working my way through Kirby's Fourth World slowly. Really fun stuff so far. The pacing in older superhero books is so brisk compared to stuff nowadays. One issue of this could easily be a full arc in your typical Marvel or DC book lol. It's crazy how decompressed stories are now.

Kirby's got some really creative designs too, I love his costumes and the tech stuff he draws.

So far my favorite series have been Mister Miracle and New Gods.

Working my way through Kirby's Fourth World slowly. Really fun stuff so far. The pacing in older superhero books is so brisk compared to stuff nowadays. One issue of this could easily be a full arc in your typical Marvel or DC book lol. It's crazy how decompressed stories are now.

Kirby's got some really creative designs too, I love his costumes and the tech stuff he draws.

The trades, right? You didn't buy all the old omnibuses right before the new one was announced I hope?

Definitely. So much happens in every issue!

My personal ranking amongst the four series would be

Mister Miracle > New Gods > Forever People > Jimmy Olsen

(Though my favourite two issue from the run are from New Gods).

tim1138

Definitely. So much happens in every issue!

My personal ranking amongst the four series would be

Mister Miracle > New Gods > Forever People > Jimmy Olsen

(Though my favourite two issue from the run are from New Gods).

Mr Miracle is my favorite of the four as well, with the Jimmy Olsen being my least favorite. I go back and forth between New Gods and Forever People for second and third, I have a soft spot for Big Bear and company
plus they have the great Glorious Godfrey arc

From Ellis newsletter:
FAQ: People have been asking about the next TREES series lately. I'm hoping to start writing that before the end of the year, but, frankly, I'm backed up and can't even think about it yet. It will be a minor miracle if I survive to 2018, if this last week is any indication.

FAQ: THE WILD STORM has a SKIP MONTH in August. Back in September. I'm working on the second six-issue volume (in total) right now. (By "in total," I mean that I write them in six-issue blocks and hand all the scripts in at once.) We're still on for 24 episodes, if the plug doesn't get pulled.

FAQ: my series for Line Webtoon, FINALITY, has been delayed because poor Colleen Doran got seriously ill. She's on the mend now, and we're returning to it soon for a release towards the end of the year.

FAQ: I'm trying to talk Chip Zdarsky into pitching FANTASTIC FOURTH REICH to Marvel, because I recently learned they like the Nazi comics now

FAQ: that probably wasn't a faq was it

THE WILD STORM always starts as scribbled pages in a notebook. Technically, I've been working on this next block for months, filling a page or two with notes over a glass of wine at lunch. At the end of the TWS bible I describe each of the four volumes of the book in three lines. That's the guide - the points I have to hit for the entire Wildstorm revival project to work as a whole. Everything else is mutable. Like writing a novel - I often only want the spine in front of me, so I can wander around the rest as the mood takes me.

At some point, I open a plain .txt file and just start typing, filling in structural progressions. Which characters do I need to check in with? What needs to be explained? What do they know and what do they need to know? Eventually, I'll find a sequence I want to hear, and I'll start writing dialogue, with just a couple of lines for location and activity. (Where are these characters and what are they doing?) I'll just let them talk. I'll edit and rewrite it later. Just let them talk and see where it goes.

Trying to hear their distinct voices. I was in it for several hours om Saturday night, introducing a new character, trying to learn them and who they are as they walked down a corridor in an IO black site in the ninety seconds before their cover is blown. With a parenthesis in the middle reading (fight scene). Action scenes work a different muscle, so I'll leave that for another time.

Fight scenes, for being so absurd, probably have a closer relationship to real life than the choppy, journalistic, graphic-design nature of comics dialogue. How many people? What's the nature of the environment? What's in the environment that can be used? When you're in a real fight, anything's a weapon, even a piece of furniture.

For a pure mathematical iteration of this formula, watch this.

Environment: a back room that's being redecorated. Probably previously a public space, hence the old hose. Somebody wrote a list of all the things that would be in that room, and then had good old Jason Statham use them all to hurt people with. It is beautiful like science. I like JOHN WICK as much as the next person, but John Wick never beat the shit out of a bunch of people using only a hosepipe and decorating supplies.

And remember, kids: it's only safe to kick when you're damned sure your leg isn't going to get grabbed. And if someone kicks at you, grab their ankle and lift it up above your head.
He's currently preparing to turn in season 2/the next 4 episodes of Castlevania.

So I received some of my Valiant stuff through that I ordered.

The Valiant was a really good intro to the universe for new readers, and a clever use of an event to begin things anew, oppose to blowing them off.The nature of the threat, the characters chosen to participate and how the book is presented is all very much easy to pick up and run with. A character who is new to her position as a hero, a character who has no memory, a plot that is driven by it's characters but a plot which trades very much on a clear concept being introduced to those inside the story as much as the people reading it. Paulo Rivera really killed it on the art too. There's lots of clever little touches attributed to each character in the smaller moments, while the action is super kinetic and creatively framed. There's a nice thoughtful conclusion on the end of a few very clear character journeys that leaves it difficult to not to want to follow them onto their own books that spin out afterwards. (I wrote a deeper thing on this book in the actual Valiant OT for those interested, or that have already read it)

I picked up the full run of Bloodshot Reborn as well and read through the first volume today. I mentioned this elsewhere, but without being too reductive, this really feels like a Wolverine or Winter Soldier book Marvel wishes they had, in theory. In practice it's a very mature psychological thriller that's set apart by not being a Wolverine or a Winter Soldier. Ray Garrison is a deeply damaged man, given his freedom to live but not much else. How do you grapple with day to day life after being a mind controlled cold blooded murderer? How does your body hold up after the years of abuse. A good portion of what the lead character goes through is just as a compelling look at life after addiction and trying to make good on that second chance every day to yourself and those around you. Truth told, it probably couldn't be a Wolverine book in the modern marvel line, but that's okay; that's what sets it apart. I really don't know if I'm reading a fresh start for a man who's been through the fire and lived to tell the tale, or if I'm reading his final downfall, and it's exciting to follow. I'd prefer not to spoil how Lemire examines Ray psychologically but he uses a specific plot device to do so that is very clever, and allows for him to work through a very solitary journey without having to just really on endless text boxes, and it works in tandem with the art beautifully. I won't say it couldn't be replicated on tv, but it is a very comic book feeling way on tacklnig this specific story, and that makes it that bit more compelling. Yea, and the art is great, Suayan is gritty, visceral but able to capture the anguish and pain. This is a dark moody book but it's never muddy or obfuscated. Just a fantastic compelling character piece. I don't know where it goes next but I want to see.

So overall, the Valiant experiment has been a success so far. It's always difficult to jump in or start a new line or set of comics; where to start, how much will it cost, what if I don't like them etc. but this is a compelling superhero line. It pulls on it's greater universe to enhance rather than confuse matters, but between a large scale potentially world threatening event, and one sad lonely man who doesn't know where to go next, both books feel more like a creator owned character piece and stuff definitely happens in these books. If anyone else is interested, this is a great place to try, and both books were priced at an entry level similar to how Image handle their first volumes, so it isn't a big gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom