• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Giant Beastcast this week is pretty funny as a comics fan. Talk about Injustice 2 and they've basically never heard of a villain that isn't from Batman and didn't know a lot of the more obscure heroes. I didn't think Blue Beetle and Cyborg were obscure.

ZmTywm4.png

Dusknoir

The Giant Beastcast this week is pretty funny as a comics fan. Talk about Injustice 2 and they've basically never heard of a villain that isn't from Batman and didn't know a lot of the more obscure heroes. I didn't think Blue Beetle and Cyborg were obscure.
I was surprised when no one knew captain cold.

Messi

They absolutely are. Most of my friends needed me to describe who most of the non batman characters are.

Cyborg is obscure depending on age. He's very well known to younger people because Teen Titans have been popular on Cartoon Network for 14 years now.

Aizo

Banned
I saved 154 bucks on that Image sale with that coupon. Never would've checked my email. Thanks for the notification, everyone.

What's funny is that I had trouble really thinking of what I don't have from Image that I'd want. Look what happened. I blame my partner. They wanted a bunch of stuff.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
maybe this is the place to ask

is it worth wrapping up CW's Supergirl & The Flash?

i think i have 2 episodes in each and the finale but they have been a slog to get through

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I saved 154 bucks on that Image sale with that coupon. Never would've checked my email. Thanks for the notification, everyone.

What's funny is that I had trouble really thinking of what I don't have from Image that I'd want. Look what happened. I blame my partner. They wanted a bunch of stuff.

Yeah I ran out of things to buy from Image a while ago. That's why I just give my codes away now.

Owzers

i think i have 2 episodes in each and the finale but they have been a slog to get through
Why start enjoying tv shows now if you've made it this far.

Do you guys prefer digital trades or singles? I don't like mixing the two...but trades are cheaper but then the next sale singles might be the only thing discounted.

Been watching flash on sky uk, so still a few episodes behind myself. I actually think this series of flash has been okay and a lot better than the last series. With some fun new charactes and relationships. Its made the same mistake it always seems to make where they get lost in there own time travel stories and logic so some of the twists make no sense at all. I wish someone on the shows writing team would just graph out there time travel storys to avoid the compelte BS it ends up having to try and explain. Can't say I watch Supergirl though.

I think the best non netflix comic show on tv at the moment is agents of shield. I'd deffo recommend that to anyone not watching, its really hit some good tv this series.

Legion dude!

Dude, now you really testing me, tough choice :(

I really enjoyed Legion, for its willingness to experiement, be bold and the amazing imagery it used, but there were a few episodes in the 8 where it did get a bit too slow and in my opinion it reached a peak in the story and then the last few episodes were kind of just there.

Agents of shield has been really strong this series building up the story as its gone along, with a few really amazing pay off episodes along the way. They in a way knew it could be there last series (its never had brilliant ratings) so just well and truly went for it.

Think I'll just say I enjoyed them both

So when people say Nick Spencer is a terrible writer, do they actually mean to say "I hate the concept of Hydra Cap," or is his actual writing bad? Doesn't seem so bad to me. Also, is why do people freak out so much about a story that has so much riding on its development and conclusion? I'd say those are pretty important to judge his work by. Sure, I could hate it by the end, and I think some things are pretty dumb, but I don't think it's fair to judge until it's finished. The art is great, and it is an interesting situation for many characters to deal with.

I think this is maybe the 2nd time you've asked, specifically, what is bad about Spencer's Hydra Cap. I didn't answer before, mostly, because I rather not spend too much energy and time talking about why I think something is bad when instead I could choose to talk about a comic I liked. It's also something that's been discussed here relatively frequently so it often feels like we keep on circling back on the same topics.

That being said, I'll try to say what *I* think is bad about Hydra Cap in a way that's relatively short. I won't be addressing a lot of my issues with it but hopefully Ill have hit on the big bits.

Concept wise, no it's not a terrible idea. It's something Simon and Kirby did themselves when they had the Red Skull brainwash Cap into a Nazi.

Hell, it *could* be a very well executed and interesting concept applied to character, but Spencer's take simply isn't.

My biggest problem with Spencer's take on Cap is that he, as a writer, simply does not understand the power of symbols and the responsibility of handling those symbols. This goes for every story a creator makes, but he fails especially bad here. I think almost every issue I have with Spencer's writing stems from that.

Take Hydra as a "fascist occult group that aligned itself with the Nazis but that's totally not Nazis." Hmm OK, so that means Hydra figured everything the Nazis were doing was just fine because they were advancing the fascist agenda. Of course, this means that Hydra were directly contributing to the genocide of millions of Jewish people, LGBT, minorities and dissidents.

So what does Spencer do with this? Instead of owning up and dealing with that this means Cap is a full blown white supremacist who worked for a government that killed millions and millions, Spencer writes it off as talk that the collaboration with the Nazis was simply something that "got out of hand" (I believe this was the actual quote)

As if the eradication of peoples is just something that happens on accident and therefore Hydra Cap is not someone who is in part culpable for the death of millions.

So, could you do a book where Cap has actually been a sleeper agent for an occult fascist group? Yeah most definitely, but you absolutely do not get to have your story take place in actual history while not dealing with the nastier side of it.

The thing is Spencer wants to take credit for the shocking thing without having to do the hard work of it actually saying something and just keeps pointing to the next thing on the horizon and saying that's where it will all come together. He wants you to believe that he's not a bad writer and he's begging you to keep reading his bad books and to preserve judgment.

The thing about that is that monthly comics is a serialized form. They come out in installments and are designed as so. Nick Spencer isn't writing Secret Empire #5 as *only* a chapter in SE meant to be consumed after #4 and before #6. He's writing it to be consumed 2 or 3 weeks or whatever in between the other issues. Which is to say, if you can't break down and criticize installments as well as heap praise on them when it is earned then why release or bother with them at all?

The whole "keep reading to find out how we definitely address those criticisms you brought up" is a fucking sham to get you to buy and read more bad comics. There's a kernel of truth to it which is why it works on some level. But no one reads the first five issues of The Walking Dead then talks about how good it is and then is told by others they've got to reserve judgment until they've read the other hundred plus issues. Those issues of TWD were still good and the Spencer Cap comics are still bad even if Secret Empire: Epilogue #17 is any good.

I promise that when Nick Spencer is done with Cap, it won't feel fulfilling, it won't feel noteworthy. It will just feel empty like nothing was earned, and you'll be out of whatever amount of money it was that you invested to keep up with the story.

Quick hits:

Spencer's dialogue is a garbage fire, and if Steve Lieber is not around, then Spencer's comedic bits fall really flat

The art is mostly good through his run although I'm really not a fan of Jesus Saiz's coloring. Nearly everything is textured the same and there is weird decision to have strong diffused white light hit everything in a lot of panels.

Nick Spencer is super bad at twitter and can't handle a half tweet of criticism. He'd be gunning for worst person at twitter if it weren't for our idiot president and Russian spambots.

He also tends to pretend all political criticism of his work is invalid because he believes he's the most liberal person in comics and couldn't possibly create something that is 'problematic.' Especially given the fact he used to be a Republican as late as 2005.

Also, he's just a shitty person who got ran out of Cincinnati for being too much of a shithead (to put it lightly)

Aizo

Banned
I think this is maybe the 2nd time you've asked, specifically, what is bad about Spencer's Hydra Cap. I didn't answer before, mostly, because I rather not spend too much energy and time talking about why I think something is bad when instead I could choose to talk about a comic I liked. It's also something that's been discussed here relatively frequently so it often feels like we keep on circling back on the same topics.

That being said, I'll try to say what *I* think is bad about Hydra Cap in a way that's relatively short. I won't be addressing a lot of my issues with it but hopefully Ill have hit on the big bits.

Concept wise, no it's not a terrible idea. It's something Simon and Kirby did themselves when they had the Red Skull brainwash Cap into a Nazi.

Hell, it *could* be a very well executed and interesting concept applied to character, but Spencer's take simply isn't.

My biggest problem with Spencer's take on Cap is that he, as a writer, simply does not understand the power of symbols and the responsibility of handling those symbols. This goes for every story a creator makes, but he fails especially bad here. I think almost every issue I have with Spencer's writing stems from that.

Take Hydra as a "fascist occult group that aligned itself with the Nazis but that's totally not Nazis." Hmm OK, so that means Hydra figured everything the Nazis were doing was just fine because they were advancing the fascist agenda. Of course, this means that Hydra were directly contributing to the genocide of millions of Jewish people, LGBT, minorities and dissidents.

So what does Spencer do with this? Instead of owning up and dealing with that this means Cap is a full blown white supremacist who worked for a government that killed millions and millions, Spencer writes it off as talk that the collaboration with the Nazis was simply something that "got out of hand" (I believe this was the actual quote)

As if the eradication of peoples is just something that happens on accident and therefore Hydra Cap is not someone who is in part culpable for the death of millions.

So, could you do a book where Cap has actually been a sleeper agent for an occult fascist group? Yeah most definitely, but you absolutely do not get to have your story take place in actual history while not dealing with the nastier side of it.

The thing is Spencer wants to take credit for the shocking thing without having to do the hard work of it actually saying something and just keeps pointing to the next thing on the horizon and saying that's where it will all come together. He wants you to believe that he's not a bad writer and he's begging you to keep reading his bad books and to preserve judgment.

The thing about that is that monthly comics is a serialized form. They come out in installments and are designed as so. Nick Spencer isn't writing Secret Empire #5 as *only* a chapter in SE meant to be consumed after #4 and before #6. He's writing it to be consumed 2 or 3 weeks or whatever in between the other issues. Which is to say, if you can't break down and criticize installments as well as heap praise on them when it is earned then why release or bother with them at all?

The whole "keep reading to find out how we definitely address those criticisms you brought up" is a fucking sham to get you to buy and read more bad comics. There's a kernel of truth to it which is why it works on some level. But no one reads the first five issues of The Walking Dead then talks about how good it is and then is told by others they've got to reserve judgment until they've read the other hundred plus issues. Those issues of TWD were still good and the Spencer Cap comics are still bad even if Secret Empire: Epilogue #17 is any good.

I promise that when Nick Spencer is done with Cap, it won't feel fulfilling, it won't feel noteworthy. It will just feel empty like nothing was earned, and you'll be out of whatever amount of money it was that you invested to keep up with the story.

Quick hits:

Spencer's dialogue is a garbage fire, and if Steve Lieber is not around, then Spencer's comedic bits fall really flat

The art is mostly good through his run although I'm really not a fan of Jesus Saiz's coloring. Nearly everything is textured the same and there is weird decision to have strong diffused white light hit everything in a lot of panels.

Nick Spencer is super bad at twitter and can't handle a half tweet of criticism. He'd be gunning for worst person at twitter if it weren't for our idiot president and Russian spambots.

He also tends to pretend all political criticism of his work is invalid because he believes he's the most liberal person in comics and couldn't possibly create something that is 'problematic.' Especially given the fact he used to be a Republican as late as 2005.

Also, he's just a shitty person who got ran out of Cincinnati for being too much of a shithead (to put it lightly)
Really great post. I appreciate you taking the time to write it all out. I definitely agree with the points you make about his handling of symbols. That is the absolute worst part of it all to me. I wouldn't argue that usually you have to finish a long series to judge it. I just thought people freaking out about specific aspects or twists as bad writing before they're fully fleshed out is an over reaction. No need to wait to criticize the book, though.

I love GB East but I might skip this week. Cannot handle Dan talking about comics or comic-related things at all and I generally enjoy him. It seems to bring out the Internet Dan in him.

Cyborg wouldn't be obscure to younger people because of the Teen Titans cartoon but most of GB is 30+ and wouldn't have been in the target demo at the time. Jaime's only been in Brave & The Bold and Young Justice: Invasion, right?

the brain meme for comics shows but the highest brain is not watching comics shows

I don't think I made it past the pilot for any of the modern era ones.

I love GB East but I might skip this week. Cannot handle Dan talking about comics or comic-related things at all and I generally enjoy him. It seems to bring out the Internet Dan in him.

Cyborg wouldn't be obscure to younger people because of the Teen Titans cartoon but most of GB is 30+ and wouldn't have been in the target demo at the time. Jaime's only been in Brave & The Bold and Young Justice: Invasion, right?

I don't think I made it past the pilot for any of the modern era ones.

If you have any affinity for Captain Cold, Harley, or really any of the villains, just avoid that section all together.

Its all opinions but I'd strongly disagree on that one. Iron fist was well and truly a dumpster fire, but apart from that I've found the Daredevil (both) series amazing and JJ and Luke Cage good if not as good as DD.

Daredevil S1 is perhaps the best, but it dragged a bit. The rest were hard to finish. JJ and DDS2 were boring. LC, my personal favorite of the bunch, fell apart hard in the second half.

He's also in the new TT movies, Justice League Action, and (I shit you not) an episode of Smallville.

Messi

Superstar Marguerite Bennett has some news coming today

I got a big ol' announcement coming today, so stay tuned 😊💋

I'm predicting she is the new Wonder Woman writer.

Also I'm having solicit withdrawals. Hopefully this announcement is the start of August's releases.

tim1138

Superstar Marguerite Bennett has some news coming today

I'm predicting she is the new Wonder Woman writer.

Also I'm having solicit withdrawals. Hopefully this announcement is the start of August's releases.

Rama has a few Superman solicits and teased news later today as well. I'd be all about Bennett taking over Wondy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom