• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why, are they out of print now or something? Just picked up Spider-Verse

Not specifically selling it because it's out of print, just that I've literally not touched it in years and don't plan on adding to it haha. Not sure how to price because OOP though, yea. I don't really want to be one of these guys who charged something nuts because it's hard to get hold of, just something modest and fair given it's not mint or anything. Because it's OOP though, I can't find any other ebay listing for comparison haha I'm probably just going to jam it up there for regular cove rprice, and the rareness can mitigate that it's not brand new and has a touch of shelf wear, dunted corner kind of thing.

Vic_Viper

Sinister Spider-Man was such a great book!
Next up: Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine.
Gonna look how this Aaron dude makes it

Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine is awesome. Probably my favorite Spider-man team up book ever!

Speaking of the book, where did the story spawn from? Was there a set up before the book in another book or something, or was it just a one off? Remember picking up the singles when they were first coming out but cant remember how I even heard about it in the first place. I know some of the storylines were picked up in Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men book, but did anything come before it?

I'm pretty good at not being "that guy", but man their comic knowledge is less than someone who watches the cartoons.

Outside of our microcosm, that's just comics knowledge in general. I only know two people in real life who read comics, and they have very narrow tastes (one only reads Spider-Man). People I work with know what's been featured in movies or the old X-Men cartoon.

It's sad to think gamers familiar with stuff like Injustice or MvC know more about comic book characters than 99% of the population. Doesn't Injustice also go way off script in a weird but cool direction?

Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine is awesome. Probably my favorite Spider-man team up book ever!

You're not kidding. That book is a masterpiece.

You jest (somewhat) but you're absolutely correct. He hasn't landed Batman's "voice" once in the run. Swamp Thing was perfect in this issue.

Haha right? Obviously I'm joking by calling Batman B tier etc but it's at least obvious that his batman voice is different to what people tend to expect, if not off the mark, while everyone seems to be loving the Swamp Thing issue (which I haven't actually read :( )

I would take a Swamp Thing book in a heartbeat though haha, I love the big guy.

Vic_Viper

Haha right? Obviously I'm joking by calling Batman B tier etc but it's at least obvious that his batman voice is different to what people tend to expect, if not off the mark, while everyone seems to be loving the Swamp Thing issue (which I haven't actually read :( )

I would take a Swamp Thing book in a heartbeat though haha, I love the big guy.

I picked up Snyder's New 52 Swamp Thing OHC but haven't read it yet. Heard mixed opinions about it though. How was JL Dark from the New 52? It's got Swamp Thing and Constantine on the main roster right? I hope they do a Rebirth for JLDark soon!

Trying to decide if I want to spend the money to get some Valiant DLX HCs. I know they will sell out when Sony starts making the movies but I wouldn't even know what to get outside of Ninjak and Bloodshot Reborn. Was the Harbinger Wars good? How is the main Harbingers book?

I picked up Snyder's New 52 Swamp Thing OHC but haven't read it yet. Heard mixed opinions about it though. How was JL Dark from the New 52? It's got Swamp Thing and Constantine on the main roster right? I hope they do a Rebirth for JLDark soon!

It would have been a better book if they had kept a writer on it for longer stints, but they had some mad thing going on at one point with Lemire where they would announce him on a book and he would gush that it was his dream book and then they would move him on lol. Happened for JLD & Constantine. That said, I liked the intro arc by Milligan, and the Lemire's two major arcs were pretty awesome and played with some Gaiman toys. Janin was great on there too. I fell off after DeMatteis came in and the dark line became super orientated around the trinity of sin, most of them penned by DeMatteis & Fawkes. Let us know what you think about the Swamp Thing book! I dug the run but some folks were really rubbed up by Rotworld. I just grabbed the Animal Man run that Lemire wrote and complimented it, I only ever read the first year previously.

I wonder if they give JLD another spin at some point. Such a bad name, but they seemed quite sold on it as a property for a bit, even made the animation. Then they announced Dark Universe (was that the name?) and it never showed face.

Vic_Viper

Sounds like Justice League Dark might be getting a movie soon if they can get past the "in talks" phase. Hopefully they do a book before it comes out. The idea had so much potential but just never got the attention it deserved.

Sounds like Justice League Dark might be getting a movie soon if they can get past the "in talks" phase. Hopefully they do a book before it comes out. The idea had so much potential but just never got the attention it deserved.

Yea I hope so. I've mentioned it a few times recently so I won't do a big bit but I really liked the dark line that the new 52 kicked off with (plus the fact Azzarello was trying to add horror tones to WW). My summer plan now I'm all caught up on my books is basically start getting through Valiant, and go back and grab the new 52/DCYou horror stuff I missed that I wanted to read eg. Soule's Swampy run, actually own and read the rest of Animal Man etc.

I'm pretty sure Harbinger is supposed to be fantastic. I'll leave Launchpad to let you know (also maybe check out his Valiant OT!)

Trying to decide if I want to spend the money to get some Valiant DLX HCs. I know they will sell out when Sony starts making the movies but I wouldn't even know what to get outside of Ninjak and Bloodshot Reborn. Was the Harbinger Wars good? How is the main Harbingers book?

Hey, so I made a thread earlier this week detailing some good starting points for Valiant.

To answer your question directly, though, Harbinger is definitely incredible. Harbinger Wars is part of that story and I've detailed the crossover information in that thread for people's convenience.

Ninjak and Bloodshot Reborn are fantastic, as well. Follow the link for more options on where to start. I wouldn't worry too much about how things fit together until you've read some stuff.

Also, The Valiant is on sale on Comixology if you're into digital. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better starting point or a more amazing overall story. Conversely, the trade is only a few bucks.

Launchie, how good is the quality of Valiant's different trades?

Trade paperbacks across the board are very high quality. Page quality is great and they're very sturdy.

Deluxe hardcovers are where you get some variations. The quality of them is usually great, they all have dust jackets (for better or worse) and the page quality is also really good. However, it's a mix between sewn and glue, and it's hard to tell what you're going to get because they've reprinted some of them. The initial ones are all sewn, as far as I can tell (ex. Harbinger and Bloodshot). I know Quantum & Woody is glue or a mix. The smaller The Valiant and Divinity collections are also sewn.

I think they're great overall, but there's definitely more gutter loss on some because of the binding. That's the one thing I would warn people about if they're sensitive to that sort of thing.

Outside of our microcosm, that's just comics knowledge in general. I only know two people in real life who read comics, and they have very narrow tastes (one only reads Spider-Man). People I work with know what's been featured in movies or the old X-Men cartoon.

It's sad to think gamers familiar with stuff like Injustice or MvC know more about comic book characters than 99% of the population. Doesn't Injustice also go way off script in a weird but cool direction?

Yeah some of the characters are like evil and shit. I hate the way Superman and Wonder Woman are portrayed in them, so I'm not a huge fan of that. I prefer the way Capcom handles the Marvel characters in terms of personality. They do a really good job at that. Like they capture the essence of why people like the characters in a fun way.

I know a few guys at work who are kind of into comics but they don't read them weekly. But they know enough to talk about them with which is kinda cool.

Trade paperbacks across the board are very high quality. Page quality is great and they're very sturdy.

Deluxe hardcovers are where you get some variations. The quality of them is usually great, they all have dust jackets (for better or worse) and the page quality is also really good. However, it's a mix between sewn and glue, and it's hard to tell what you're going to get because they've reprinted some of them. The initial ones are all sewn, as far as I can tell (ex. Harbinger and Bloodshot). I know Quantum & Woody is glue or a mix. The smaller The Valiant and Divinity collections are also sewn.

I think they're great overall, but there's definitely more gutter loss on some because of the binding. That's the one thing I would warn people about if they're sensitive to that sort of thing.
I'll come to you if I get some. Tempted to get some Q&W...

I'm so happy seeing all these classic outfits.

VanWinkle

Hmm, my Harbringer is glued. I haven't seen any that are sewn, actually.

Hmm, my Harbringer is glued. I haven't seen any that are sewn, actually.

Here's the Q&W one on the left and my Harbinger on the right. Harbinger got a reprint, so that's likely the one you got.

cZRxUTb.jpg

Also, I misspoke, the smaller deluxe editions are glued.

like 30% of my comics reading friends read marvel or dc semi regularly

most of them read indie comics or manga

Surprisingly, I don't really have any irl friends who read manga. Some of them watch anime though. Manga was really popular when I was in school, but after the big collapse of Tokyopop that kinda went away.

Hnnng. The fact you guys know anyone irl that like comics or manga full stop lol. Meanwhile I have a friend culture that any one of them will proudly tell me "I've never read a book in my life."

VanWinkle

Here's the Q&W one on the left and my Harbinger on the right. Harbinger got a reprint, so that's likely the one you got.

Also, I misspoke, the smaller deluxe editions are glued.

The top of my Harbringer looks like the left picture, but the bottom of it looks like this:

Whereas, in a typical sewn/glued binding - from what I've ever seen - the signatures can be seen on the top and the bottom, and tend to open flatter than a purely glued binding does. These Valiant deluxe editions tend to function as a purely glued binding, so I'm not sure why you can see the folded pages on the top. Maybe it's just an inferior sewn/glued binding. DC: The New Frontier Deluxe is exactly the same as this Harbringer, and it doesn't open nearly as much as, say, the Swamp Thing by Snyder Deluxe, which is sewn and then glued onto the spine.

Harbringer binding vs Swamp Thing binding to illustrate my point:

The top of my Harbringer looks like the left picture, but the bottom of it looks like this:

Whereas, in a typical sewn/glued binding - from what I've ever seen - the signatures can be seen on the top and the bottom, and tend to open flatter than a purely glued binding does. These Valiant deluxe editions tend to function as a purely glued binding, so I'm not sure why you can see the folded pages on the top. Maybe it's just an inferior sewn/glued binding. DC: The New Frontier Deluxe is exactly the same as this Harbringer, and it doesn't open nearly as much as, say, the Swamp Thing by Snyder Deluxe, which is sewn and then glued onto the spine.

Harbringer binding vs Swamp Thing binding to illustrate my point:

I don't have a pic of the bottom but it's the same as the top. It opens up more than yours

_Aaron_

Comic noob here. I've been watching ComicsExplained for a while and his videos have really got me interested in alot of the comic universe stuff so I was thinking about actually starting to read some comics.

Is Marvel Unlimited worth it?

Also I was at the local bookstore earlier and was thinking about buying Watchmen, The Killing Joke and The Infinity Gauntlet. Anything else that people can recommend for a new comic book reader?

When you do get to BPRD, just know the beginning is kinda rough. They go through a few creative teams that kinda range in quality (your fav, Geoff Johns was on an issue even iirc) till they settle on John Arcudi and Guy Davis.

Mmm there's only 3 or 4 trades in the entire Mignolaverse I'm not keen on and 2 of them are during Plague Of Frogs Hah. Volume 2, the soul of Venice and others, and the War On Frogs trade (these were the MySpace stories right?) And it's literally for this reason haha.

If you ignore the soul of Venice vol though, the Hollow Earth arc and Plague Of Frog arcs around it to kick off are awesome.

Man, Mignola must have been in desperate straits. Thankfully he's doing better now.

Yeah, I'll definitely read past the rough patch.

Finished Injustice 2 story mode. Really fun. I'd say a good step up from the first one which I enjoyed. Now to start diving into the rest of the game. Still not sure who I'd play as.

Comic noob here. I've been watching ComicsExplained for a while and his videos have really got me interested in alot of the comic universe stuff so I was thinking about actually starting to read some comics.

Also I was at the local bookstore earlier and was thinking about buying Watchmen, The Killing Joke and The Infinity Gauntlet. Anything else that people can recommend for a new comic book reader?

Hello friend!

First of all, yes, Marvel Unlimited is crazy good value. I am not a fan of the quality, but it's good for reading a bunch of series and for jumping into some stuff.

Those are all very good places to start reading.

There's also a much lesser known publisher called Valiant which is very highly regarded. I've made a beginner's guide with a bunch of good starting points for new readers.

VanWinkle

Jesus the gutter loss on this OHC is nuts.

It's a travesty. I don't know why they couldn't have just put some white space in the gutter until the point that it's visible to the eye. The map of the multiverse is even worse, but at least it's printed on the underside of the dust jacket.

The story still leans heavily with the Injustice version of the characters. There wasn't any real surprises in the sequel other than certain alliances a couple of characters side with like Harley being a good guy. Superman is still determined to kill criminals and rule the Earth, Wonder Woman is still sadly nothing more than a sidechick, and Batman is still Batman.

I meant is it a week, a month or forever?

We are lost without Flow.

Good luck getting Terry Dodson to do monthly ongoing artwork these days.

Better chance of that happening than Adam Hughes, who hopefully learned a lesson.

Aren't those out of print? Seems like a troll to me.

coloring makes or breaks a book. The pencils on America are lovely!

That's about the only lovely thing about that book.

Surprisingly, I don't really have any irl friends who read manga. Some of them watch anime though. Manga was really popular when I was in school, but after the big collapse of Tokyopop that kinda went away.

Really? Did Tokyopop even publish any of the really big stuff? I mean, they seem to be back now because I've been seeing omnibus editions of Bizenghast at the bookstore, but I don't remember that they published any of the huge titles.

Wow, Messi's next avatar is pretty nice.

Hnnng. The fact you guys know anyone irl that like comics or manga full stop lol. Meanwhile I have a friend culture that any one of them will proudly tell me "I've never read a book in my life."

Not the book part, but finding a regular comic reader in the military feels like hunting unicorns. Manga nonexistent. I don't read manga either, so I'm not flying that flag...they may be out there. I work in a particularly nerdy career field with a disproportionate number of gamers, so there's at least general awareness of comic properties. But I've only met two actual comic readers.

Marvel Unlimited is the best deal in the industry. You have decades of amazing, classic runs at your fingertips. I just wrapped up Hickman's brilliant Fantastic Four run this month, for example. That would have cost me more than the annual subscription fee to purchase individually.

There's rumors a new DC service is coming out with shows, cartoons, and potentially comics...no date to my knowledge. I'm keeping my eye on that.

If you have a library card, look into Hoopla online or check there for physical books. Free is always good.

For book recommendations, pick up Y: The Last Man. You're welcome!

Vic_Viper

Has there been any recent Judge Dredd comics that are worth checking out, especially if you havent read anything with him? I know there are some really good books from the late 80s and early 90s, but has there been anything recently?

Has there been any recent Judge Dredd comics that are worth checking out, especially if you havent read anything with him? I know there are some really good books from the late 80s and early 90s, but has there been anything recently?

There was a recent IDW series and a current mini going on, though I can't speak to the quality. If you're interested in the old stuff I would start picking up the Collected Case Files trades.

Sandfox

It bothers me when comic fans call any book that's not about a straight white male an sjw book or call that character an sjw character.

Vibranium

Banned
Is Comixology ever going to support non-US currencies? You'd think that Amazon would have them work on that. I'm getting kind of tired of having to figure out the CAD conversion rate.

B-Dex

Is Comixology ever going to support non-US currencies? You'd think that Amazon would have them work on that. I'm getting kind of tired of having to figure out the CAD conversion rate.

Or maybe even ComiXology unlimited outside of the US. Because it throwing it in my face every time I browse even though I'm logged in and ineligible is a pain.

There was a recent IDW series and a current mini going on, though I can't speak to the quality. If you're interested in the old stuff I would start picking up the Collected Case Files trades.

Do this. You can start at Volume 5, which has two great stories in Judge Death Lives and The Apocalypse War. The latter to me is the best Dredd story ever. The earlier ones are really just historical curiosities.

I'm the only one of my friends that reads comics. I have one that is a Batman/Harley fan, and they'd all be interested in DC in general, but not really the comics. They pretty much say "Sure you'll read it anyway, and then explain it for us." They all like manga and anime though.

I don't really speak to anyone my own age at work outside of meetings, the older ones wouldn't really be the comic reading type, though they have asked me about stuff since I'd often wear comic-related stuff on casual days.

Finished my read of Harrow County this evening, including the new volume I picked up last week, which takes me up to #16. Really good series. It makes good on it's promises of being a sort of fairy tale-esque, beautifully illustrated coming of age story, but at the same time presented with some quite creepy ideas and images that crawl under your skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom