• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Ed should sell that Daredevil
to me
. I'm a big fan of Spidey, Ramzey and Death, too.

Anyone get any Trick or Treaters?

Mine?

Hint: Same number as Ant-Man's MAX series

Tons, yeah. I run a scary house too, I was impressed by all the brave kids!

I had one early in the night where I almost bit his dad's head off. He got halfway up my driveway and froze.

Kid: "It's scary."
Dad: "No it's not. Go ahead."
Kid: "No, it's too scary."
Dad: "NO, it's not. Go ring the doorbell."
Kid: "Dad, I don't want to, it's scary!"
Dad: (Now yelling like a crazy person): "IT'S NOT SCARY GO UP TO THAT DOOR RIGHT NOW."

By this point I was hurriedly turning off my fog machine and ripping off like half my Spooky Scarecrow outfit, waving to the kid and being goofy. He saw me wave and instantly felt better, approached, got candy, left. Man I wanted to say something to that dude though. Your kid thinks a house is too scary, move on. There are lots and lots of houses. I get he wanted him to overcome his fear, but there is a line and he totally crossed it.

That was by far the low point of the evening, though. Everyone else had a lot of fun at my place.

Ugh, that's my least favorite kind of dad.

My pops would give me one "you can do it, go ahead", and then I would just start walking to the next house and he was cool with it.

Yep that's what we do too.

My parents talked me into some scary fucking houses when I was a kid, I have no idea how

IT WAS JUST SEX FOR GRODD'S SAKE
to me

Tons, yeah. I run a scary house too, I was impressed by all the brave kids!

I had one early in the night where I almost bit his dad's head off. He got halfway up my driveway and froze.

Kid: "It's scary."
Dad: "No it's not. Go ahead."
Kid: "No, it's too scary."
Dad: "NO, it's not. Go ring the doorbell."
Kid: "Dad, I don't want to, it's scary!"
Dad: (Now yelling like a crazy person): "IT'S NOT SCARY GO UP TO THAT DOOR RIGHT NOW."

By this point I was hurriedly turning off my fog machine and ripping off like half my Spooky Scarecrow outfit, waving to the kid and being goofy. He saw me wave and instantly felt better, approached, got candy, left. Man I wanted to say something to that dude though. Your kid thinks a house is too scary, move on. There are lots and lots of houses. I get he wanted him to overcome his fear, but there is a line and he totally crossed it.

That was by far the low point of the evening, though. Everyone else had a lot of fun at my place.

Why didn't the dad just take his kid up there? That's what my parents did. "I'm too scared" meant either a) they came up there with me or b) I wasn't getting any fucking candy. Depended on the mood they were in.

sledgehammer in that BDPR cover?

Did anyone respond to this? It's a bit of a spoiler for the last few volumes...

Johann now inhabits the sledgehammer armour with the last guy who wa sin there as his spirit guide to the universe. It's basically served to make him a big hitter so far, although I could see it going other places in the finale...

Lots of good books this month, especially in the Image & Dark Horse sections. Quietly waiting to see what the response on Ether is, really excited by the art and the colouring on that on.

The end to Hell On Earth made it in too :D:D A finale, what, 5 and a half years in the making. Now we find out:
Has it been 5 years reading about the end of the world, or the beginning or a new one?
I think this one goes with a bang and not a whimper, although I expect some major cliffhangers until they announce exactly what the premise of the next series is.

The Joelle Jones Lady Killer cover is stunning too. Great thread :)

The Vision #12
A fitting end to a great series. Virginia proving to be the ultimate wife and mother
by sacrificing absolutely every single thing for her family. It sort of pushes this idea that by being so unnatural that they could never really be happy. Given all the bigotry and fear regarding them. On the other hand, we have Viv's interaction with Wanda showing that the circumstances don't matter. Even going further to say that while growing up just to sacrifice everything seems pointless (the classic philosophy regarding the cycle of death and birth), having something to sacrifice yourself for makes it inherently not pointles
A bittersweet ending in the fullest sense, which really goes with the whole disturbia-esque tone throughout the series.

A highly recommended series until the end of time.

Nighthawk #6
This was, uh, well, interesting. I'll say this: the ending certainly works.
The ultimate end to all of Nighthawk's rage. There is no saving to show that "we're better than the bad guys." The bad guys deserved to die in Nighthawk's eyes, and so they did.
Now for what I didn't like about the ending:
There's really not much closure. Sure we find out who the Revelator is, but he ends up being a nobody. We don't get any insight into him whatsoever. I felt like some big revelation (heh) was supposed to happen surrounding his identity, but nothing came of it. We really don't get any insight into the aftermath either. The police officer who lied just to cover for a vigilante that she doesn't know who is fighting an rage-filled anti-racist campaign. Nor is there any revolving around Hanahran's death. I also would have liked some final insight into Nighthawk's mind. Early on in the series, we had flashbacks where his parents were warning him about his rage and how it'd consume him, and when it finally did I wish we would have gotten some more narrative from inside of his head. Sort of a final capstone on the whole thing to make it more personal. While obviously not needed, it would have been nice

Ultimately the series was cancelled, which means none of my issues had any potential of being addressed. That said, given the circumstances, it's still a very good ending to a genuinely good book, and I would recommend it to those looking for such a book.

I would also most definitely like to see an R-rated film based on this run.

Oh man, is it the last issue of Chew this month?

This was the comic that really got me into comics. Well, it really got me into waiting for volumes to release. It will be a bittersweet day for me when it is all finally over.

Anyone get any Trick or Treaters?

Mine?

Hint: Same number as Ant-Man's MAX series

Very very few this year compared to past years.

Oh man, is it the last issue of Chew this month?

This was the comic that really got me into comics. Well, it really got me into waiting for volumes to release. It will be a bittersweet day for me when it is all finally over.

Rob Guillory has that cartooning style on lock. His art was definitely one of the biggest reasons I was drawn to the book initially.

Slayven

Welp, got to The Walking Negan.

Eh. Hyper-sanity villains don't hit me like they used to. Road to the character was more enjoyable than the character itself.
Must say tho, this comic did wonders for kirkman's talent. After he realized that external sources of conflict would be more enjoyable than internal, the quality managed to consistently climb, and the way the world was progressively expanded was an absolute joy to read.

Carl sure could stop being so one-dimensional tho. Him realizing he was up shit creek was a nice change.

Man... you made me want to re-read akira. God damn that panel was so great. When Tetsuo realizes just how badly he fucked up. Your style suits the scene expertly.

I take it that was pre-gamora smash?
Oh yeah this was years ago. Back when she had her own board on CBR

Hmm, if I turn in my old PS4 I can get the Pro for 234$...

Top posters from October:
img_3290ofkcm.png

Cronin: Just how old is Thanos anyways?

Did anyone respond to this? It's a bit of a spoiler for the last few volumes...

Johann now inhabits the sledgehammer armour with the last guy who wa sin there as his spirit guide to the universe. It's basically served to make him a big hitter so far, although I could see it going other places in the finale...

...huh. That's one of those things that seem so obvious and utterly perfect that i can't help but smile that the writers managed to link both.

Hellverse remains best universe.

...huh. That's one of those things that seem so obvious and utterly perfect that i can't help but smile that the writers managed to link both.

Hellverse remains best universe.

Definitely haha, even when I saw Sledgehammer on the covers & knowing
the nature of some of the stories for the other character over the years
, I didn't click until it was there on the page how much they must have been building to it all along.

TheFlow

Banned
TRIGGER WARNING: LOTS OF ART (MINE)

Now that October is coming to an end, here are some of the comic related inktober pieces I did. You can find non comic related inktober pieces in the inktober thread. I'd apologize for posting so many images in one go but uhh I don't really want to

Akira - recreated one of my favorite panels

Wonder Woman (my favorite one probably)

Black Widow

Black Panther

Death

Jessica Jones

Batman

Goog - this is a character one of my friends created. You can find her work at googtown.tumblr.com ; her comic is balderdashcomic.com

Psychobevo - Psychobevo was a comic strip that ran in the Daily Texan at the University of Texas at Austin. It was bizarre and I loved it. Heres an example You can check out the comic at the Facebook page for it

Ramzey from Rage Against the Jackal, which you can check out at here or on comixology

Spider-Man

Tim's Favorite: Apollo and MIdnighter

Dragonslayer - this is from a comic a friend of mine made, you can find it and his other work at this site

Love Run Riot is a comic illustrated by a friend of mine, you can find it on Stela.

A grimacing cable

A Silver Surfer with a very flexible right ankle

Daredevil

Luke Cage
I would legit buy that black panther and DD. good stuff all around on all your drawings. Those were just my favorite two.

New CMX sales!

Warren Ellis Image sale!

Lantern Corps sale! Missing quite a few from this one, any non-Johns books I should grab?

IDW Binge-Reading sale!

Flash Gordon sale!

Doctor Strange collections sale!

Witchblade code sale(code is Witchblade)!

New CMX sales!

Warren Ellis Image sale!

Lantern Corps sale! Missing quite a few from this one, any non-Johns books I should grab?

IDW Binge-Reading sale!

Flash Gordon sale!

Nice, if Fell is in there, I'd recommend that, really great series. Wish it had gone further.

tim1138

New CMX sales!

Warren Ellis Image sale!

IDW Binge-Reading sale!

Flash Gordon sale!

If they have Tomasi's GLC run, that's essential

As a trade waiter, I feel so lost in this thread ! Can't wait to have the time and money to get into singles.

I picked up a bunch of the new 52 batman family trades for cheap after having only read Batman (Nightwing, Batgirl and Batman and Robin) and Batman and Robin is clear standout. Couldn't make it through the first trade of either Nightwing or Batgirl, but I flew through the first two trades of Batman and Robin and want more.

The first issue of Batgirl felt really weird ? I don't know, it's the only Batgirl I've ever read but the whole thing felt like I was missing something, and I don't mean The Killing Joke. The first thing Batgirl says in a dialogue bubble is "There you are, you rotten monsters. Found you, didn't I? Oh, yes, I did, babies. How sad for you." sort of just to herself. The conclusion of the issue, the dialogue in the whole issue but in particular the last panel and the panel I specifically mentioned above, and the constant kind of weird references to The Killing Joke, a book I haven't read were kind of off putting, not sure if I really want to continue with it. What do you guys think ?

Also, what do you guys all think of the Invisibles ? Want to give it a try ! Read the first issue a few years back and didn't really get into it, but I wasn't looking for something that deep at the time ?

Goodreads are doing their 2016 awards right now. It's the initial round right now, and they'll be whittled down in two further rounds to the winners of each category as the month goes on. If anyon eis interested the link is hereee for graphic novels: Click

*Note, what we read are apparently graphic novels, and not picture books as I assumed.

Hrm. Kinda embarrassed that it took me 12 ishs to realize that negan is the joker.

like, literally. same god damn thing. even obsessed with bat-rick and carlin.

Goodreads are doing their 2016 awards right now. It's the initial round right now, and they'll be whittled down in two further rounds to the winners of each category as the month goes on. If anyon eis interested the link is hereee for graphic novels: Click

*Note, what we read are apparently graphic novels, and not picture books as I assumed.
Disappointed at no Squirrel Girl OGN or the new Megg and Mogg in that list. I'd throw in 5000KM Per Second too.

Hrm. Kinda embarrassed that it took me 12 ishs to realize that negan is the joker.

like, literally. same god damn thing. even obsessed with bat-rick and carlin.

i legit don't see that at all and i've read every issue

he really doesn't seem as manipulating as mistah jay. he has a very defined view of the world that at its core is about actually sort of in his own way doing the best thing for everyone jesus WTF IM TALKING SERIOUSLY AND IN DEPTHLY ABOUT THE WALKING DEAD WHAT HAPPENED TO ME

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Sleepy Hallow
Warning: bad pun.

I laughed.

I did the same thing my sophomore year of college. I got in costume, asked my friends when they would be ready, popped on X2, and promptly fell asleep. I woke up at 4 in the morning with 10 missed calls.

Whoops.

he really doesn't seem as manipulating as mistah jay. he has a very defined view of the world that at its core is about actually sort of in his own way doing the best thing for everyone jesus WTF IM TALKING SERIOUSLY AND IN DEPTHLY ABOUT THE WALKING DEAD WHAT HAPPENED TO ME

Yeah

He's the antithesis of Rick. And Kirkman
seems super reluctant to kill him off to an almost absurd degree because of this. Like they're doing the whole "if I kill you, I've lost the war" thing
. The comparison doesn't really hold up beyond the way Kirkman lines those two up against each other as supposed opposites that aren't really opposites.

So, sure, he's the Joker to Rick's Batman. But he isn't an insane anarchist, or nearly as vindictive.

I'm not at that point yet. For now he's firmly just a violent psycho that tries too hard to joke nonstop and kills people on the slightest of whims. There's some very small bits that i can see propagating in that direction, what with him actually believing that the saviors save shit, so i'm guessing that comes later.

Also zeke and michonne's budding relationship is liquid gold. All of it.

Christian

Hey, guys. Quick (hopefully) question: How are the Avenging Spider-Man and Superior Spider-Man Team-Up books? I've been on a bit of a Spidey kick recently. Ive read Straczynski up to Sins Past, then skipped to Civil War and Back in Black. Got The Gauntlet, Grim Hunt, and Big Time. Superior and Superior Foes. Are Avenging and Superior Team-Up good? I really don't hear much about either of them, which leads me to believe they aren't.

Hey, guys. Quick (hopefully) question: How are the Avenging Spider-Man and Superior Spider-Man Team-Up books? I've been on a bit of a Spidey kick recently. Ive read Straczynski up to Sins Past, then skipped to Civil War and Back in Black. Got The Gauntlet, Grim Hunt, and Big Time. Superior and Superior Foes. Are Avenging and Superior Team-Up good? I really don't hear much about either of them, which leads me to believe they aren't.

You don't hear about them because it was a super forgettable book that had almost no impact on continuity. Those sorts of books tend to get glossed over when people are looking for help catching up on a character. Avenging Spider-Man is actually a lot of fun, I think it's worth checking out. In fact that might be the better Spidey book from that time.

Superior Team-Up I don't think was nearly as successful. It's largely the story of how
the Superior Spider-Man takes down the Sinister Six
. Which sounds cool, and it should have been cool, but it was just sloppy and lazy. If you're really into SpOck and you've already read the Superior Spider-Man run, you might enjoy it despite itself as there aren't many other places to go for more SpOck stories.

Superior Foes, oh my you are in for a treat. One of Marvel's best from recent years. That book put Nick Spencer on the map at Marvel in a big way.

Treasure that Ed art while you can, kids. Soon it's going to be behind a $3.99 cover price when he's making that Millar money
Yes yes treasure this art

With money!
Lovely selection, Ed. Was there a specific artist you were channeling with that Black Widow? The face looks really familiar.
Hmm I was trying to keep Bruce Timm in mind. My wife mentioned a similarity to Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Man... you made me want to re-read akira. God damn that panel was so great. When Tetsuo realizes just how badly he fucked up. Your style suits the scene expertly.
Thanks, Otomo is a great artist to swipe from
Yep.

And daaaaaaaammmn, Ed. Great work. Love the s1 Daredevil.
Thank you! Tried to go a little Miller.
to me
Thank you, I had fun with pretty much all of them.

Pm'd

You don't hear about them because it was a super forgettable book that had almost no impact on continuity. Avenging Spider-Man is actually a lot of fun, I think it's worth checking out. In fact that might be the better Spidey book from that time.

Superior Team-Up I don't think was nearly as successful. It's largely the story of how
the Superior Spider-Man takes down the Sinister Six
. Which sounds cool, and it should have been cool, but it was just sloppy and lazy. If you're really into SpOck and you've already read the Superior Spider-Man run, you might enjoy it despite itself as there aren't many other places to go for more SpOck stories.

One of the things that I liked about Superior Team-Up was that Ock failed hard and had his "Parker Moment" where he thinks that he sucks. Only to receive a pep talk from Namor and after that basically telling Namor to fuck off because he is SUPERIOR AND AWESOME.

Top Bottom