• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Slice and dice! I loved that Turtles game.

Man I've not played a turtles game is a loooong time. The platinum game wasn't very good either, was it? We had one for the sinclair when I was a kid. I adored it. When I look up screenshots now though, it looks hideous haha.

What's the deal with the tmnt universe book? Is that just totally a side thing?

Man I've not played a turtles game is a loooong time. The platinum game wasn't very good either, was it? We had one for the sinclair when I was a kid. I adored it. When I look up screenshots now though, it looks hideous haha.

Turtles in Time still best turtles game.

Also, from what I understand, the story is now going to be told across both the main book and Universe. All your monies are belong to IDW.

Turtles in Time still best turtles game.

Also, from what I understand, the story is now going to be told across both the main book and Universe. All your monies are belong to IDW.

WHAT DID I DO. Haha. I suppose, they've been doing all these little micro series things, it'll be simpler if there's just the one consistent book that houses this stuff if it's going to exist anyway.

Malyse

A Year of Marvels October was great. Can't wait for Wasp. And now I need to go read all the other ones cause this floated right by me.

WHAT DID I DO. Haha. I suppose, they've been doing all these little micro series things, it'll be simpler if there's just the one consistent book that houses this stuff if it's going to exist anyway.

I wasn't a big fan of most of the Micro-series. Secret History of the Foot Clan is really good, though.

TheFlow

Banned
I have 3 series that I plan to read again/sart and do a write up on

All of Stray bullets

TMNT plus spinoffs

Sherief of Babylon.

still gotta read thor and infamous doom so I can start last week haul.

also say what you guys want about the movies, That superman, Batman, and wonder woman statues from the movie are amazing.

So IST have the War Of Kings Omnibus for cheap, what should I read before it for it to make sense, or is it pretty much self contained? Also, I have the Guardians Of Galaxy By Abnett And Lanning Omnibus... should I read that before or after? From what I can see the War of Kings omni contains some of the issues from the GOTG omni, is that right? So I should the GOTG omni after?

After.

You should read Annihilation and Annihilation: Conquest before.

Ive been keen on those for ages, but being out of print means they are absurdly expensive. Im not really keen on reading it digitally but unless they plan on reprinting Annihilation anytime soon I guess I will have to.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Ive been keen on those for ages, but being out of print means they are absurdly expensive. Im not really keen on reading it digitally but unless they plan on reprinting Annihilation anytime soon I guess I will have to.

I read both digitally over the last few months. It's not so bad. :)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Quiet week

Big Trouble In Little China Escape From New York #2 (Of 6)
Walking Dead #160

Batman #10
Green Arrow #10
Justice League #8
Nightwing #8

Avengers #1
Champions #2
Death Of X #3 (Of 4)
Unworthy Thor #1 (Of 5)

VanWinkle

So IST have the War Of Kings Omnibus for cheap, what should I read before it for it to make sense, or is it pretty much self contained? Also, I have the Guardians Of Galaxy By Abnett And Lanning Omnibus... should I read that before or after? From what I can see the War of Kings omni contains some of the issues from the GOTG omni, is that right? So I should the GOTG omni after?

In omni form it goes:

Annihilation (Out of print)
Annihilation Conquest
War of Kings Prelude (April 2017)
War of Kings
War of Kings Aftermath (Feb 2017)

Guardians of the Galaxy by DnA is interspersed within the three War of Kings omnis. There is no proper "place" to read through the GotG omnibus.

In omni form it goes:

Annihilation (Out of print)
Annihilation Conquest
War of Kings Prelude (April 2017)
War of Kings
War of Kings Aftermath (Feb 2017)

Guardians of the Galaxy by DnA is interspersed within the three War of Kings omnis. There is no proper "place" to read through the GotG omnibus.

Excellent, this helps alot, thanks heaps. Bit strange that they released the War of Kings 5 months before the prelude to it though lol.

TWD: All Out War finished. Was pretty dang good, much better handled than the conflict with the guvnah.

Kirkman did write himself into a knot at least twice, tho. The first with the herd attacking the Saviours base. It was made clear that they had no fucking idea how to get through it, and then, bam, they're right outside alexandria's gates, lobbing grenades. The second was when mulletbro and the rest of the ammo gang got stuck in the van. Hocus pocus and hey presto, we atop the sniper building now. How lardo moved the whole group? It is a mystery.

The second is a minor annoyance, but the first was quite badly done. Hrm.

The Platinum game wasn't bad, but it was certainly their weakest game. The open world aspect was poorly utilized and ultimately led to pointless wandering until a fight occurred. The combat had some cool mechanics, but wasn't particularly deep. The music was entirely forgettable. It's the first Platinum game that I dropped out of a lack of motivation as opposed to taking a break out of frustration or intensity.

It's not bad, but it's not worth picking up for anything more than a discount. And I'm saying this as a Platinum fanboy who loves Korra. That's right, it's one of my faves.

It's not bad, but it's not worth picking up for anything more than a discount. And I'm saying this as a Platinum fanboy who loves Korra. That's right, it's one of my faves.

Haha. I probably won't pick it up at all. It's a shame though, I think the turtles has the right premise and the character's have the right attributes to build a really nice game around.

Finished volume 3, yea, I'm finding trouble thinking of much to say that differentiates my thoughts from the last 2, but it s just a really good fun time. Nothing too surprising like some of the twists in their origins in the last 2, but with a lot of the origin work done, they were able to clear the deck and give some really exciting things with Splinter, emotionally paying off some of the character ideas they've been building. Great!

Off Topic, but in the realms of re-imaginations, I also finished watching season 4 of Bates Motel. Damn. Since it's a prequel, there's obviously certain key things you know will happen inevitably. No matter what spin they put on it, there's things that WILL happen. So it's a testament how they've build the relationships throughout the past 4 seasons where you're really rooting against that pull of destiny for specific characters to escape what is set in stone. A very compelling and ultimately very sad character study that I think has been a real success.

Haha. I probably won't pick it up at all. It's a shame though, I think the turtles has the right premise and the character's have the right attributes to build a really nice game around.
I think it would have been better if they'd just had you played as one of the boys and had A.I. allies with online co-op replacing the A.I., then that would have been fine. Also condensing the levels as the open world is more detrimental than beneficial. Same problem with Transformers Devastation, except that had excelled on a mechanical and cosmetic level far beyond TMNT:MiM.

Ponn

Banned
Excellent, this helps alot, thanks heaps. Bit strange that they released the War of Kings 5 months before the prelude to it though lol.

It is very weird but the content of that Prelude omnibus will not hurt your enjoyment at all. Looking at it is more of a primer to the primer stuff already in the War of Kings Omnibus. You already have most of the leadup stuff to the actual War of Kings event books in the main omnibus with the Kingbreaker and Emperor Vulcan stuff (Yay for X-Men in space stuff!) and Darkhawk (Yay Darkhawk!). In fact you could probably skip the Prelude Omnibus and just pick up the Aftermath Omnibus. I am not a fan of all the repetitive content in these DnA cosmic omnibuses I have to say though. It feels like alot of padding to make a $100 big book. They could have cut this stuff down to two books instead of three instead of reprinting stuff in the GoTG omnibus.

Man, Wayward is a great book, and the writings on Japanese culture in the back make it even moreso. Last week's issue had a fascinating piece on Japanese love hotels.

It is very weird but the content of that Prelude omnibus will not hurt your enjoyment at all. Looking at it is more of a primer to the primer stuff already in the War of Kings Omnibus. You already have most of the leadup stuff to the actual War of Kings event books in the main omnibus with the Kingbreaker and Emperor Vulcan stuff (Yay for X-Men in space stuff!) and Darkhawk (Yay Darkhawk!). In fact you could probably skip the Prelude Omnibus and just pick up the Aftermath Omnibus. I am not a fan of all the repetitive content in these DnA cosmic omnibuses I have to say though. It feels like alot of padding to make a $100 big book. They could have cut this stuff down to two books instead of three instead of reprinting stuff in the GoTG omnibus.

Yeah you're right. I might skip the prelude for now, i'll pick it up later though if i do a re-read.
So for now I should go off;

-Annihilation
-Annihilation Conquest
-War of Kings
-War of Kings Aftermath

Has anyone got any inkling as to whether or not Annihilation will get reprinted soon?

VanWinkle

Yeah you're right. I might skip the prelude for now, i'll pick it up later though if i do a re-read.
So for now I should go off;

-Annihilation
-Annihilation Conquest
-War of Kings
-War of Kings Aftermath

Has anyone got any inkling as to whether or not Annihilation will get reprinted soon?

Haven't heard anything yet, unfortunately.

I Hate Fairyland 9-10: Still a fun, guilty pleasure. It doesn't aspire to be anything more and that's fine.

Annnnd I'm all caught up on Iron Man

Invincible Iron Man 13-14: Really enjoyed the writing here and it's nice to spend some real time with Tony, dealing with his grief and the other personal fallout of CWII. Can't help but feel that Deodato doesn't rise to the occasion. There is a panel in 13 which I feel is probably the most important moment of the comic, where
Tony is looking up at MJ when she confronts him about not being at the funeral, and he's clearly supposed to look torn the fuck up, but he just looks bored
. And there's quite a few instances of this during the (#14)
meeting and the resulting conversation
, where the art doesn't quite live up to the writing...doesn't quite sell it. All that said I did enjoy these issues a lot.

Infamous Iron DOOM #1: I had high hopes for this and it was even better than I expected. I'm a big Maleev fan...I think it's generally accepted that action is not his strong suit
which is one of the reasons he goes together so well with Bendis
. But here, it works. His depictions of Doom's powers are spectacular. Man I just loved this whole issue. The opening scene is
hilarious and has a great "hmmmm!" moment at the end
. Fucking
DIABLO
who I had assumed must have gotten lost in a drawer somewhere until this issue. Hickman wrote a great Doom, one of the all-time greatest. But Bendis is showing his strengths here...he writes a damn good Doom too.

So nice to have Maleev's wonderfully expressive faces after the last couple Deodato issues of Invincible.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Man, Wayward is a great book, and the writings on Japanese culture in the back make it even moreso. Last week's issue had a fascinating piece on Japanese love hotels.

So the original guy is back doing the essays? Good. I didn't care for the one about Ireland the issue previous.

Boogiepop

TWD: All Out War finished. Was pretty dang good, much better handled than the conflict with the guvnah.

Kirkman did write himself into a knot at least twice, tho. The first with the herd attacking the Saviours base. It was made clear that they had no fucking idea how to get through it, and then, bam, they're right outside alexandria's gates, lobbing grenades. The second was when mulletbro and the rest of the ammo gang got stuck in the van. Hocus pocus and hey presto, we atop the sniper building now. How lardo moved the whole group? It is a mystery.

The second is a minor annoyance, but the first was quite badly done. Hrm.
It's funny that I recall hearing a lot of complaints about it dragging in here, IIRC, but I actually felt it probably should've been a little bit longer to flesh out the fighting better. Honestly felt like more of a skirmish than a war to me.
The Platinum game wasn't bad, but it was certainly their weakest game. The open world aspect was poorly utilized and ultimately led to pointless wandering until a fight occurred. The combat had some cool mechanics, but wasn't particularly deep. The music was entirely forgettable. It's the first Platinum game that I dropped out of a lack of motivation as opposed to taking a break out of frustration or intensity.

I've been waiting for the price to drop on that one. Like, I was really, really excited for it when I saw the IDW elements when it was first revealed alongside Platinum working it of course, so it hurts that it apparently isn't great. But once the price is right I'll definitely pick it up, and worst case scenario I'll use it for group play (no couch co-op why?!) like I do with friends when we hang out on weekends, and we can at least get some laughs out of it if it is indeed crap.

Top Bottom