• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Malyse

Just you wait...

tumblr_o1p7q1UN5M1s27ctto6_250.gif

Messi

Did that Unworthy Thor #1 cover telegraph
Odinsons short hair
months before it was revealed? It was there all along and no one noticed.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want to jinx it, but the current Cyclops thread in main OT is the least I've ever hated a comic thread in OT.

I mean, no one appreciated my joke, but it's also not a total shit show.

Go back to both the OctComics thread and actual series thread, I never rooted against the Cubs, I was not a homer for either team but I wanted good baseball. Games 3-4 were total garbage and thought Cubs just choked.

You damn right I wanted this shit go 7 games.
You know I'm fucking with you right? lol

Jessica Jones #1:
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BABY???? D:

Doesn't seem like any of this bodes well for the current Power Man & Iron Fist dynamic.

Enjoyed. But.
Not sure how I feel about this much regression. ...holy fuck we better not have to wait a fucking year to find out how we got here, so sick of that shit.

Read the latest Kill or Be Killed and Kingsway West and summarily dropped both of them. Neither is doing much of anything for me.

With Velvet off the map until god-knows-when-maybe-never, this drops me to 0 Brubaker for the first time in years, which bums me out, but Kill just isn't good enough.

J Scott Cambell redid his RiRi cover.
Infinitely better. If not only because it's not sexualized, but the other one felt so lazy and generic. This one actually fits the character and, assumedly, the tone of the book.
Lets take a trip back to the 90s with a good old classic crossover comic, Green Lantern/Silver Surfer

Anyone even like when Hal Jordan went crazy? I thought it was interesting to see.
The level of ether makes this one of the greatest pages of all time
Jessica Jones #1:
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BABY???? D:

Doesn't seem like any of this bodes well for the current Power Man & Iron Fist dynamic.

Enjoyed. But.
Not sure how I feel about this much regression. ...holy fuck we better not have to wait a fucking year to find out how we got here, so sick of that shit.
I really didn't feel
there was a lot of regression. It feels like Jessica, but definitely a far more developed Jessica than the one in Alias. She isn't cussing up a storm and drinking heavy and constantly stuttering. She has far more confidence in both her abilities and herself as a whole. She's angry, but it's out of frustration and not contempt (for both herself and others).

The mystery with the baby and Luke I guarantee has something to do with U.S.Avengers.

Been growing increasingly impatient waiting for the end of House of Penance, checked to see why there have been so many delays and well what do you know it came out a fucking month and a half ago. I hate when this fucking happens -_-

Sandfox

Champions #2:
This issue wasn't as good as the first, but it was full of team bonding and the characters having fun with each other and that's a part of the reasons I wanted to read this book.

Occupy Avengers #1:
I like how David Walker writes Hawkeye so far and this issue did a good idea establishing what this book will be about while giving a sample of how Clint and Red Wolf will play off each other. The book had more action that i was expecting and it made the characters look cool IMO.

I'll do more books later.

Infinitely better. If not only because it's not sexualized, but the other one felt so lazy and generic. This one actually fits the character and, assumedly, the tone of the book.

Yeah. The laziness was a big part of my complaint. This has character. It's legitimately good.

I really didn't feel
there was a lot of regression. It feels like Jessica, but definitely a far more developed Jessica than the one in Alias. She isn't cussing up a storm and drinking heavy and constantly stuttering. She has far more confidence in both her abilities and herself as a whole. The mystery with the baby and Luke I guarantee has something to do with U.S.Avengers.

You make good points...let me reconsider my argument. I think the reason my mind jumps to
regressive writing
is this tendency we have been seeing lately to
shake up character traits, history and supporting cast off screen and fill in the blanks on how exactly we got here later on (unless the writer loses interest in telling the story or never had any interest in the first place, and only grudgingly churns out a brief explanation due to fan and editorial pressure). While maybe not entirely regressive, I would say this Jessica has more in common with the Jessica of Alias than of more recent stories; she's not drinking, sure, but she's isolated, standoffish, getting in trouble and working as a PI again. How did we get here? Who the hell knows
. I don't think it's a great storytelling device for big 2 cape comics. It is intended to bake in easy intrigue but it's a recipe for frustrating reading in my opinion.

Been growing increasingly impatient waiting for the end of House of Penance, checked to see why there have been so many delays and well what do you know it came out a fucking month and a half ago. I hate when this fucking happens -_-

LOL. Damn dude. I think that's why they were sharing the trade cover thing etc. last month, I didn't realise you had missed the last ish.

You make good points...let me reconsider my argument. I think the reason my mind jumps to
regressive writing
is this tendency we have been seeing lately to
shake up character traits, history and supporting cast off screen and fill in the blanks on how exactly we got here later on (unless the writer loses interest in telling the story or never had any interest in the first place, and only grudgingly churns out a brief explanation due to fan and editorial pressure). While maybe not entirely regressive, I would say this Jessica has more in common with the Jessica of Alias than of more recent stories; she's not drinking, sure, but she's isolated, standoffish, getting in trouble and working as a PI again. How did we get here? Who the hell knows
. I don't think it's a great storytelling device for big 2 cape comics. It is intended to bake in easy intrigue but it's a recipe for frustrating reading in my opinion.
I can understand where you're coming from on
actual storytelling device. I mean hell, it was just used for the entire X-Men line. But as far as Jessica: according to Hellcat and PM&IF, she started the agency back up before this book. As for her personality: of course she's angry. It's not so much regression as it is just her personality is adapting to the scenario. Her baby's gone, she was just in a secret prison for some reason, her and Luke are separated, and she's bein accosted on all sides by her and Luke's friends. Of course she's pissed and feeling isolated. She IS isolated and she's stuck in a position that would drive anyone into a negative emotional state.

Like I said, while it definitely feels like Alias, you can tell how she's developed and therefore is a changed person from how she was all those years ago.

Well. At least it was worth the wait. :)

I would LOVE if Dark Horse were as quick as Image were to drop their trades man, really looking forward to this one. Is it totally self contained then, or does he leave the door open for more, even if it was just thematically? I'd love Tomasi to get a regular thing going with independent work.

The New Avengers #17
Another great issue with some cool ass twists. Ewing is running the Marvel universe apparently, considering how this ties directly into Ultimates and the assumed "main universe" storyline. That said, I find myself questioning the whole
Maker monologue in the beginning. He brings up some key points about how he got split up into different universes that seemed rather nonsensical to me. I didn't really understand any of it. Then there's the whole bit about Eternity being chained up which ties into Ultimates. Also brings into question about what'll happen with Duggan. Does this mean we'll be getting classic Duggan back?

Overall great issue as usual. Ewing da gawd.

The Ultimates #12
Kind of a slow issue. Reestablishing relationships and where everyone's at given the recent Civil War, so that's good.
We have the ending of New Avengers spoiled, but we already knew where that was going. We even know its premise now. This new crew vs the Ultimates is an interesting storyline, and Lifebringer Galactus' first herald as Connor Sims is pretty cool.

Beyond that it's an alright issue. Probably would have been better if not for Ward's art. Christ almighty it was terrible. Absolutely gross. Rocafort please come back. Your planet needs you!

I would LOVE if Dark Horse were as quick as Image were to drop their trades man, really looking forward to this one. Is it totally self contained then, or does he leave the door open for more, even if it was just thematically? I'd love Tomasi to get a regular thing going with independent work.

This feels like a one and done. The last page is perfect.

Still playing catch up:

Black Widow

Great issue with more of the story coming together. Not much else to say, I just really like the feel and tone of this book.

Amazing Spider-Man 20

A continuation of the story from Ock's view but this one was a lot better than the last one. His interaction with Jackal was great, his interaction with his Anna was great. All around just better than the last issue with Ock basically just running away from anger.

Britannia 2

I was kind of meh on the first issue, but I really liked this second issue. The first issue reminded me a lot of the first few issues of Black Road in a weird way so I just kind of expected not liking it. With the second issue bringing in more intrigue and weirdness I was a lot more drawn in.

Faith

I might be out on Faith. It's fine enough, but I just don't think the sense of humor is really hitting me.

Archie

Somehow I didn't see the turn coming? I feel dumb because how else could it have gone for Veronica? It was an OK issue. Still not sure what I want or like from Archie, but I keep getting it, so it apparently has something I'm liking.

Generation 0

From Archie to an Archie parody? I loved this issue because of it. I'm really liking this book, I almost wish the initial story could move a little faster though just to get to some kind of status quo to get more of a feeling for these characters. I want to know more about the damn telepathic fetus and the twins!

Ross61

Plunging through Suicide Squad. I'm really liking the story, characters, the dialogue, and surprisingly the backups too. Gives a better insight into the various characters. With that said, even though I like it Jim Lee's art is a little rough and I can't wait till he's completely off. It would probably be ideal if it goes monthly with Philip Tan and use the colorist from the Katana backup. But they will probably just find a replacement.

TheFlow

Banned
I can understand where you're coming from on
actual storytelling device. I mean hell, it was just used for the entire X-Men line. But as far as Jessica: according to Hellcat and PM&IF, she started the agency back up before this book. As for her personality: of course she's angry. It's not so much regression as it is just her personality is adapting to the scenario. Her baby's gone, she was just in a secret prison for some reason, her and Luke are separated, and she's bein accosted on all sides by her and Luke's friends. Of course she's pissed and feeling isolated. She IS isolated and she's stuck in a position that would drive anyone into a negative emotional state.

Like I said, while it definitely feels like Alias, you can tell how she's developed and therefore is a changed person from how she was all those years ago.

you smart

Top Bottom