• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

tim1138

Shade the Changing Girl is such a great comic, it's a coin flip between that and Cave Carson as my favorite of the Young Animal books.

tkscz

Just finished Green Lanterns #10 and think I'm going to go back and read the rest of them. It's better than I thought and I like the idea of reading about two rookies just trying to be good lanterns (though Simon isn't exactly a rookie). I also like how Jessica isn't that good at being a lantern, especially considering her ring use to be evil, so it'll be nice to see her character growth.

TheFlow

Banned
Death of X #3.
I actually liked this one. It was cool seeing a lot of my favs show up for this. I guess we are going into the final part now.

4/5

Just finished Green Lanterns #10 and think I'm going to go back and read the rest of them. It's better than I thought and I like the idea of reading about two rookies just trying to be good lanterns (though Simon isn't exactly a rookie). I also like how Jessica isn't that good at being a lantern, especially considering her ring use to be evil, so it'll be nice to see her character growth.

I fell off because it seemed like the same thing every issue but was convinced to pick it back up on the last issue of the first arc. It definitely got better. I think I'm going to end up reading Green Lanterns and dropping Hal Jordan until I hear something is actually happening in Hal.

tim1138

Jess has a proper GL ring now.

The first arc was a little rough, but I really like the book and have enjoyed it since it launched. I think Humphries has done great job with the characterization of Jess and Simon.

Sheriff of Babylon

"It might be." is the most heartbreaking and perfect and beautiful line in a comic since Sandman's "So live."

Holy fuck.

TheFlow

Banned
The YA books are so weird in both art, presentation, and story that I can't help but like them.

we got another issue of Sheriff already? damn

The YA books are so weird in both art, presentation, and story that I can't help but like them.

This. Just give me the straight up weirdest shit. Twin Peaks finale that shit.

Cave Carson ended up being my least favorite so far just because it didn't seem weird enough for me. Give me more of that stuff from the beginning.

Doom Patrol and Shade are easily some of my favorite ongoings right now. Both of them do an excellent job at channeling the old runs while doing some new things. You can really tell the creative teams are big fans of these characters just from reading them. They're so good and they're exactly what people should strive for when relaunching an older property. If you're not enjoying Shade for some reason, I have a feeling the Milligan run wouldn't click for you either. But, this is exactly what I wanted and I couldn't be happier. Shade #2 was fantastic btw.

Cave Carson is good too. I'm interesting in seeing where they go with Mother Panic since she's brand new.

TheFlow

Banned
This. Just give me the straight up weirdest shit. Twin Peaks finale that shit.

Cave Carson ended up being my least favorite so far just because it didn't seem weird enough for me. Give me more of that stuff from the beginning.

yea exactly the weirdness is going to turn people off for sure but I love that shit. it is like the perfect companion to rebirth, vertigo, and the hannah line books. it has its own niche.

kmfdmpig

yea exactly the weirdness is going to turn people off for sure but I love that shit. it is like the perfect companion to rebirth, vertigo, and the hannah line books. it has its own niche.

I agree. In just a few years DC has gone from having just DC and a Vertigo on partial life support to having:
DC
Vertigo (still on partial life support)
Young Animals
and
Hanna Barbara

I wonder if Wildstorm will serve as another successful branch for them.

It's pretty impressive how well they have righted the ship in the last year. I wouldn't have thought it would have been possible for them to have such a turnaround in so short a period of time.

Ross61

I agree. In just a few years DC has gone from having just DC and a Vertigo on partial life support to having:
DC
Vertigo (still on partial life support)
Young Animals
and
Hanna Barbara

I wonder if Wildstorm will serve as another successful branch for them.

It's pretty impressive how well they have righted the ship in the last year. I wouldn't have thought it would have been possible for them to have such a turnaround in so short a period of time.
By the amount of people that have been complaining to DC to have Wildstorm revived it should be successful. Have Milestone get their shit together and then it's near perfect.

HOLY SHIT!!!! Amanda Waller has now both
Zod
and
The Phantom Zone
!

tim1138

Midnighter and Apollo stays my favorite, I'm sure that's very shocking news. The way Midnighter dealt with Bendix was hilarious, and that opening double page spread that was made up of circles was fantastic. All that plus
Extrano and heven and his partners adopted angel kid
and next issue
Midnighter goes to Hell!

I hope this miniseries sells better than the DCYou ongoing so Orlando can keep writing these characters.

ElNarez

Banned
Smallwood returning for the final page of this week's Moon Knight, with the one layout that was everywhere in the first arc, fuck, that was a real special and beautiful thing.

How the fuck is the Jeff Lemire writing Moon Knight the same Jeff Lemire that's writing Death of X? Because one is doing the best work of his career, above even The Valiant and Animal Man, and the other is doing fucking Death of X.

Smallwood returning for the final page of this week's Moon Knight, with the one layout that was everywhere in the first arc, fuck, that was a real special and beautiful thing.

How the fuck is the Jeff Lemire writing Moon Knight the same Jeff Lemire that's writing Death of X? Because one is doing the best work of his career, above even The Valiant and Animal Man, and the other is doing fucking Death of X.

This is Lemire in a nutshell though man. He can write Sweet Tooth & the underwater welder, then Extraordinary X-men, then back to something great. I don't know if he's just really unsuited to certain stuff, or if it's just really obvious what was just a paycheck to him (not to throw shade or judge him for that). Probably doesn't help that Death OF X will have been entirely editorial/company driven and not his or Soule's passion project or baby.

ExX-Men vs. Old Man Logan, too.

I'm convinced it's two people.

ElNarez

Banned
if you're not reading Aquaman you're missing Abnett doing a dang fine riff on greek tragedy tropes with cool action scenes from Walker, and, it's just a good comic. Comics are good sometimes.

you smart
1tidy12.gif

I hope
Alchemy
is your fave.

lolllllll omfg lemiere (because it had to be him right(

Because it's also Charles Soule. Who has also done good work.

So I don't fucking know

Animosity #3: I thought the transition into the post-Wake setting was somewhat rough and awkward last issue, but it's coming together here. All kinds of interesting stuff is going down at
the Animilitary compound.
The inertia of the
power shift
is well conveyed here, as is the more clearly established presence of those who are struggling against it.

There's something really clever going on here with the art, the way the
animals with weapons are portrayed
. In the dialogue, everyone seems
militant and confident in their new position of power, and in their assertion of their newfound authority
. But there's some stuff going on with the art that is seriously
goofy as fuck which I think is 100% intentional
. Like...
a deer with six hand grenades dangling from string on his antlers?? LOL. What is that dude planning to do in a fight. Is he just going to stand around while some kind of primate plucks the grenades one by one from his antlers? Which is...better than just having them in a box behind cover, I guess? Somehow?
This better not be a tease. This is a
Chekhov's antlers
situation. That has to happen next issue.

Which promises to be a hell of an issue, by the way. This just in,
humans are still pretty shitty and very very stupid
. But I do think all the visual cues point to this
being a disaster for both sides

I am happy the cover for #4 at the back seems to indicate
we are picking up some new crew members
. This is much needed, and
Bee is delightful
. Oh, and as if I couldn't possibly love Sandor any more than I already do, he
was the runt just like my beloved dog, whose middle name is actually Barristan
. Isn't it interesting, though, how quickly
this organic reversal of ownership has happened
?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Man oh man was Unworthy Thor so grade A for Aaron comics.

Big fights, big goats, big
horse-faced alien buddies.

Loved it.

I'm only about 3/4 of the way through WicDiv but the magazine format is really interesting. And, of course, the Wada art is stunning.

^^^ The long write up and all the black bars have me excited for Animosity 3, but I didn't get to it this morning.

if you're not reading Aquaman you're missing Abnett doing a dang fine riff on greek tragedy tropes with cool action scenes from Walker, and, it's just a good comic. Comics are good sometimes.

I've already left and I just can't go back. I could go back to Green Lanterns as it was a premise I was at least into before it started. With Aquaman I feel like even in the best possible outcome I'm going back to more US vs Atlantis with him stuck in the middle.

I may go back later down the road, but I just can't muster the interest right now.

Dusknoir

Batman #10 - I was really nervous about this issue but it turn out to be great. Bane's island reminds me of Guantánamo Bay for some reason.
For some political reason the JL can't invade it thus the reason why he makes this squad. Bane is awesome. Seeing that Bane keeps Psycho-Pirate not for himself but for the betterment of his nation could mean that Batman is in the wrong. Catwoman recconed makes sense for her be in prison however I would love to see images of her doing the killings rather then talk about it.

Best part of this issue was the line at the end.

I've already left and I just can't go back. I could go back to Green Lanterns as it was a premise I was at least into before it started. With Aquaman I feel like even in the best possible outcome I'm going back to more US vs Atlantis with him stuck in the middle.

I may go back later down the road, but I just can't muster the interest right now.

Gotta say, I think one of the larger problems with the shipping schedule for a book starring a B-tier character like Aquaman is the significant barrier to entry that already exists for these books. You dropped out within the first couple of issues, right? So there's already roughly eight issues to catch up on, and this is one of those stories where you really need to read the whole thing to appreciate it. It's a really good comic and I'm glad I picked it back up when I did, if I had kept waiting, I probably wouldn't have.

^^^ The long write up and all the black bars have me excited for Animosity 3, but I didn't get to it this morning.

It was so good man. I hope this book goes on for a few years.

mreddie

Avengers: Worth it for Del Mundo arc, and Nadia and Pete add fun to a serious crew.

Also Kang pulls a big dick move and
Champions vs. Avengers coming soon.

Bloodshot Reborn is the best thing of his career in my book, only because The Valiant was a joint effort with Kindt. Haven't read enough Moon Knight, but it felt like the same stuff I grew to expect from him.

But yeah, fucking Death of X is right.

Gotta say, I think one of the larger problems with the shipping schedule for a book starring a B-tier character like Aquaman is the significant barrier to entry that already exists for these books. You dropped out within the first couple of issues, right? So there's already roughly eight issues to catch up on, and this is one of those stories where you really need to read the whole thing to appreciate it. It's a really good comic and I'm glad I picked it back up when I did, if I had kept waiting, I probably wouldn't have.

Yeah, I dropped it after they went to the white house and got arrested.

You bring up a good point though. It'll be interesting to see how they eventually address it.

Bloodshot Reborn is the best thing of his career in my book, only because The Valiant was a joint effort with Kindt. Haven't read enough Moon Knight, but it felt like the same stuff I grew to expect from him.

Best thing in his career, honestly? I haven't read bloodshot so that's interesting to hear. It'd have to be some effort to land above the stuff he's written and drawn.

TheFlow

Banned
This is Lemire in a nutshell though man. He can write Sweet Tooth & the underwater welder, then Extraordinary X-men, then back to something great. I don't know if he's just really unsuited to certain stuff, or if it's just really obvious what was just a paycheck to him (not to throw shade or judge him for that). Probably doesn't help that Death OF X will have been entirely editorial/company driven and not his or Soule's passion project or baby.

I don't think he is suited for it. might as well put bendis on it and call it a day.

For sure. Probably my favorite Valiant title of the moment, too. The Annual where he squared off against a Jason Voorhees-type killer was so much fun.

You just sold one copy of this issue

Edit: That's if I can find it before I realize I'm paying money for Valiant
Edit: I've done it.
Edit: it is downloading onto my device
Edit: it is done.

TRIGGER WARNING: LOTS OF ART (MINE)

Now that October is coming to an end, here are some of the comic related inktober pieces I did. You can find non comic related inktober pieces in the inktober thread. I'd apologize for posting so many images in one go but uhh I don't really want
Badass Ed. I was just admiring that Batman piece you did for me awhile back. You ever make up any prints?

For sure. Probably my favorite Valiant title of the moment, too. The Annual where he squared off against a Jason Voorhees-type killer was so much fun.

Haha that's a pretty good pitch for the valiant line in general to be fair "not only Lemire's career high - probably one of the better books at valiant too". They need to hire you one of these days.

You just sold one copy of this issue

Edit: That's if I can find it before I realize I'm paying money for Valiant
Edit: I've done it.
Edit: it is downloading onto my device
Edit: it is done.

ah, I should probably mention, reading The Valiant beforehand is a fantastic setup. Not exactly a must, but I feel like it's essential in that it gives more context to the story. But, whatever you feel is good.

EDIT: oh you meant you got the annual. That's alright too. It's standalone. lol

ah, I should probably mention, reading The Valiant beforehand is a fantastic setup. Not exactly a must, but I feel like it's essential in that it gives more context to the story. But, whatever you feel is good.

I am going to read at least the Lemire story and if I like it I might circle back and do that. Bloodshot was the only Valiant book that interested me back when Valiant was first a thing, in fact I have a few of the early floppies lying around in a box somewhere, so this appeals.

One step at a time my friend

I am going to read at least the Lemire story and if I like it I might circle back and do that. Bloodshot was the only Valiant book that interested me back when Valiant was first a thing, in fact I have a few of the early floppies lying around in a box somewhere, so this appeals.

One step at a time my friend

I misread, my bad. I thought you were going to start at Bloodshot Reborn #1

I cannot cannot cannot CANNOT get past Lemiere naming an actual regular female non-powered woman "Magic". I can buy super powered nanites keeping several dudes (and a dog) basically immortal, but "MAGIC"? Fuck that, no way, uh uh.

shingi70

Banned
I cannot cannot cannot CANNOT get past Lemiere naming an actual regular female non-powered woman "Magic". I can buy super powered nanites keeping several dudes (and a dog) basically immortal, but "MAGIC"? Fuck that, no way, uh uh.

I'm going to name my future daughter magic now just to prove you wrong.

Top Bottom