• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

I have a lot of trouble comparing Tom King to himself. I can't figure out how to put my thoughts on Batman #10 into words without sounding like I'm unfairly comparing it to #9, which was one of the best single issues of any Batman comic I have read in years.

I guess one thing I will say, that thing I said earlier, about how some of these guys writing twice-a-month books have really figured out how to do it right? I do not think King is there. At least not yet. The pacing on this book remains very awkward.

Malyse

tumblr_nqty3gvAkR1tw3yuko1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nqty3gvAkR1tw3yuko2_1280.jpg

I didn't know there was a sequel.

Flintstones has been legit very non-Flintstoney and very much social commentary with Flintstones aesthetics.

Cant wait for the issue where Barney and Wilma have an affair and its revealed that Fredd daughter is from someonelse

I would not at all be surprised if they did this. It's a really down-to-Earth book. Definitely my favorite of the Hanna-Barbera reboots.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I would not at all be surprised if they did this. It's a really down-to-Earth book. Definitely my favorite of the Hanna-Barbera reboots.
Was my first thought when i read the thread about that book a couple of days ago.

Its a to big trope that they wont do this.

TheFlow

Banned
Lol how is it lord and you guys post all this comic news but we are beat out by non comic-gaffers when it comes to big news worthy threads.

The avengers spoiler is already on the first page.

Champions #2: When I was a human child writers dropped words like "bodacious" and "tubular" into dialogue to sound young and hip. I feel like that kinda happened here with "microaggression." That's a weird page.

Think I'm gonna bail on this. Mark Waid writing young folks. Nope. Good effort on young Cyke tho.

Also, it doesn't help to
lampshade Kamala being the nag if you then go ahead and cast her as the nag anyway

Lol how is it lord and you guys post all this comic news but we are beat out by non comic-gaffers when it comes to big news worthy threads.

The avengers spoiler is already on the first page.
No one here cares about
even more heroes vs heroes fights
this soon when CW2 isn't even done yet.

I was going to read TMNT vol 4 tonight but we started watching Narchos season 2 and you just can't read at the same time as this show, with all the subtitles. Did read a really good chunk of the fireman today though. I know we don't really do much novel talk in here but it's a great book, well worth checking out or even picking up for a family member during the gift buying season. Much less about a strange virus that makes you spontaneously combust as it's billed (although that's certainly in there), and much more the exploration of the breakdown of civilization and the resulting problems of society attempting to to self govern. Very Lord of the flies, but it uses its core premise to come at it from a very unique compelling angle.

jurgen

How the fuck is the Jeff Lemire writing Moon Knight the same Jeff Lemire that's writing Death of X? Because one is doing the best work of his career, above even The Valiant and Animal Man, and the other is doing fucking Death of X.

Because team books are Lemire's kryptonite.

Champions #2
The characterization is good for most of the characters. Still feels like a man in his 50s writing what he thinks teenagers are like based on reading Twitter though. Some cringe-inducing moments. Don't know where the book is going though as it feels like both issues have been interludes.

Champions #2: When I was a human child writers dropped words like "bodacious" and "tubular" into dialogue to sound young and hip. I feel like that kinda happened here with "microaggression." That's a weird page.
Thank god I'm not the only one. I was thinking about mentioning this but was afraid I'd be labeled a fucking MRA Redpiller for thinking it was awful.

Avengers #1
It feels like what ANAD #1 should have been but still a little flimsy. Mark Waid's Avengers runs so far have been a weak version of Joe Kelly's Obsidian Age Justice League. Kinda promising though after that last page.

Superman #10
Super-Dad is the most endearing thing in comics right now. Tomasi and Gleason are hitting this out of the park.

JTripper

Nightwing #8: I dug this, even if it was a super short 2-issue arc. I like the idea of Raptor being a bad dad figure for Dick and the last page was nice.

Batman #10: On one hand, I absolutely loved the narration technique King goes for here, but on the other hand it was pretty strangely paced, like most of King's run so far. I didn't mind Batman's weird dialogue since I got the vibe that it was King's way of paralleling what the narration was saying about Batman and him actually acting it out, since he's a figure focused on repeating the same action over and over and refusing to look at what he might be leaving behind as a result. I suddenly want King to write more
Catwoman

Superman #10
Super-Dad is the most endearing thing in comics right now. Tomasi and Gleason are hitting this out of the park.

Fuck, I've been wanting to read Rebirth Superman, but I'm gonna trade wait. Glad to hear it's great cause I love the Tomasi/Gleason team.

Just finished reading Frank Cho's Skybourne #1.

Dude should stick to drawing cus that dialogue was so lazy I truly do feel any average person could do better. The art wasn't good enough to trudge through another issue.

Malyse

I really like Viv in champions 2. I thought she was messing with Kamala, by which I mean I'm reading it as Viv the snarker instead of Viv the clueless.

Last page was 😣

Sam taking an L.

-----

Avengers 1
Nadia, fucking chill. Damn.

That flintstones comic is fishing for an eisner.

On more TWD progression, the post-timeskip stuff is legit Good Comix. Its somewhat interesting how often timeskips complement a story better than a prequel. Shame Carl remains a little shit.
I dont get it.
Why is Redwing taking Spidey out?

He had it coming.

But Spider-sense?

Is why he knew it was coming and managed a partial dodge.

The time jump is the smartest thing Kirkman has ever done for TWD. Changed the whole ballgame. Expressed far grander ambitions and has thus far been nailing them. Risky and spectacular storytelling.

TheFlow

Banned
about to watch this last x-men movie. I spoiled myself on it but it will be interesting to watch none the less.

mreddie

Flintstones wants awards, you can tell if this been under a different title, no one would think about it as much.

Top Bottom