• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReAxion

I was just going to order a Boss BBQ tee, but they only make them up to L. I need XL damn it. Meanwhile they're selling Sugah Jug up to 3XL, which is funny.

Zombine

Banned
Southern Bastards #5 was a 10/10. This book is an absolute classic and is Aaron's best work. So far this ranks right up there with some of this medium's masterpieces. This book is classic Tarantino to a T.

You know shit is going to get fucking messy by the end.

Southern Bastards #5 was a 10/10. This book is an absolute classic and is Aaron's best work. So far this ranks right up there with some of this medium's masterpieces. This book is classic Tarantino to a T.

I read the trade the other night, then picked up #5 yesterday. I'm generally not into stuff with a redneck theme to it, but this is some seriously compelling reading.

...unknown?

Perlman has technically written Gamora before. Badly.
I have a feeling Gunn is to blame for a lackluster Gamora. There was a lot of talk about how Nicole Pearlman's scripts for GotG and Black Widow were spectacular but Gunn always seems to play down how much Pearlman contributed. Always rubbed me a bit wrong that way. I guess we will see when the comic comes out!

fauxtrot

Banned
Lets all just be glad Brian Wood isn't writing Gamora's solo book. ;)

It would contain scenes where Star-Lord makes creepy advances on her and she keeps rejecting him, but her inner monologue would reveal that she actually really wants to jump his bones.

IST order came in.

Kiz9GHu.jpg

Rather disappointed about the Alias Omnibus. Not very good quality/price, compared to even the Animal Man Omnibus, let alone the Doom Patrol omnibus or Fear Agent collections.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Whoa. Just read the first issue of Manhattan Projects. This is gonna be goooood.
What a great first issue.

You know shit is going to get fucking messy by the end.

I'm so excited to read this series once it's all finished.
I'm equally excited to reread Scalped when the deluxe editions all come out.

IST order came in.

Rather disappointed about the Alias Omnibus. Not very good quality/price, compared to even the Animal Man Omnibus, let alone the Doom Patrol omnibus or Fear Agent collections.

Nice order!
And yeah, the Alias omnibus definitely isn't the best value, but 720 pages at an MSRP of $100 is only slightly below average. If I had to guess, I'd say 800 pages is average for a $100 omnibus.
Definitely not a total rip-off like the Aaron Punisher MAX omnibus or to a lesser extent the Hawkeye omnibus releasing next year.

My IST order with Alias is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'm excited.

Nice order!
And yeah, the Alias omnibus definitely isn't the best value, but 720 pages at an MSRP of $100 is only slightly below average. If I had to guess, I'd say 800 pages is average for a $100 omnibus.
Definitely not a total rip-off like the Aaron Punisher MAX omnibus or to a lesser extent the Hawkeye omnibus releasing next year.

My IST order with Alias is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'm excited.

My issue isn't with the page count even. The paper is thin. Animal Man is priced at $75 for the same 720 pages but with much better paper quality.

I am just disappointed that I've received two Bendis collections this week and both have problems. (Gutter loss in Powers Definitive vol 1 is horrible, there are some speech bubbles I cannot read completely).

I got the Alias omnibus, too. It'll likely be a few days before I start it, though.

I will say that it's a shame that it doesn't have front cover art without the sleeve. The Howard the Duck omnibus had the same artwork on book's front cover and a(n admittedly ugly) piece on the back as well.

My issue isn't with the page count even. The paper is thin. Animal Man is priced at $75 for the same 720 pages but with much better paper quality.

I am just disappointed that I've received two Bendis collections this week and both have problems. (Gutter loss in Powers Definitive vol 1 is horrible, there are some speech bubbles I cannot read completely).
It's Marvel. They care as much about paper quality as Walmart does for their associates.

Kipp

Ah yeah. It is a bummer. It is what it is though, I suppose.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Holy shit, the newest guardians is downright painful.

Before he dies in the cancerverse (lol right? it's not even explained why he can die there, it just happens because they hope you don't think about it) Rich tells Starlord and Drax that he's always loved Gamora....even though they were just casual hookups. and at the time he was with namorita. Good job there, bendis.

...bendis doesnt read other peoples works confirmed. im not even mad bacause this is so damn stupid

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
...bendis doesnt read other peoples works confirmed. im not even mad bacause this is so damn stupid

No the worst part of it is he actually made it a point of showing that characters can't die in the Cancerverse in the first issues. Having both Starlord and Drax come back from being utterly dead. Then Dick loses an arm and he immediately starts lamenting about how he's not gonna make it out of this one.

I have a feeling Gunn is to blame for a lackluster Gamora. There was a lot of talk about how Nicole Pearlman's scripts for GotG and Black Widow were spectacular but Gunn always seems to play down how much Pearlman contributed. Always rubbed me a bit wrong that way. I guess we will see when the comic comes out!
Ya tbf I heard it took a way different form than was originally planned, but it happens. I wasn't trying to make a statement on the upcoming comic though, I just like throwing shade at the movie
I got to meet Reilly Brown today... That was pretty dope!
I've met him at sdcc before, he's cool. Wish he was doing something that wasn't nu Lobo

No the worst part of it is he actually made it a point of showing that characters can't die in the Cancerverse in the first issues. Having both Starlord and Drax come back from being utterly dead. Then Dick loses an arm and he immediately starts lamenting about how he's not gonna make it out of this one.
I love this brah.

Another problem with Marvel collections are they are so convoluted. You got the Masterowrks line, the Essentials, and a bunch of other lines. They aren't priced properly for what should essentially be cheapish collected runs that are based solely for reading, not collecting. I mean some of these old Masterworks have like eight issues for forty dollars. And then DC doesn't want to collect shit at all. Where's my Peter David Aquaman at?

arkon

I love this brah.

Another problem with Marvel collections are they are so convoluted. You got the Masterowrks line, the Essentials, and a bunch of other lines. They aren't priced properly for what should essentially be cheapish collected runs that are based solely for reading, not collecting. I mean some of these old Masterworks have like eight issues for forty dollars. And then DC doesn't want to collect shit at all. Where's my Peter David Aquaman at?

This is where their new Epic line fits in. In theory.

frye

I love this brah.

Another problem with Marvel collections are they are so convoluted. You got the Masterowrks line, the Essentials, and a bunch of other lines. They aren't priced properly for what should essentially be cheapish collected runs that are based solely for reading, not collecting. I mean some of these old Masterworks have like eight issues for forty dollars.

This is what the Epic line does more or less, huge collections with colour. The Masterworks (and DC's equivalent with their Archives) were basically collector items and only diehards wanted them. Essentials and Showcases on the other hand were for reading, hence the relative cheapness and number of issues collected.

That is very bad to hear, I might have to forget that series

I got the Alias omnibus, too. It'll likely be a few days before I start it, though.

I will say that it's a shame that it doesn't have front cover art without the sleeve. The Howard the Duck omnibus had the same artwork on book's front cover and a(n admittedly ugly) piece on the back as well.

I got the recent Ronin Deluxe Edtion and the cover is amazing. I hope they do the same thing with Punk Rock Jesus next month.
Lb3Pw5Kl.jpg

Isak_Borg

Ya tbf I heard it took a way different form than was originally planned, but it happens. I wasn't trying to make a statement on the upcoming comic though, I just like throwing shade at the movie

I've met him at sdcc before, he's cool. Wish he was doing something that wasn't nu Lobo

You'll be happy -D

The series is quite good though. Maybe you can track down the original HCs or TPs?
I'll probably give it a go eventually but it is very low on the wishlist. Marvel all around needs to step up their collection releases.
Next year we should have a ComicsGAF pumpkin carving contest! I wish I would have thought about this a few weeks ago...
How about a ComicGAF Secret Santa, we'll be a month early to set that up!

Kipp

I got the recent Ronin Deluxe Edtion and the cover is amazing. I hope they do the same thing with Punk Rock Jesus next month.[

Oooh. That is really nice. Has DC/Vertigo done this for any other OHCs (excluding omnibuses), or is this the first one? Either way, good stuff.
Definitely let us know what you think when you start reading it! I'm interested to hear some other opinions on it.

Next year we should have a ComicsGAF pumpkin carving contest! I wish I would have thought about this a few weeks ago...

That would be a lot of fun. I haven't carved a pumpkin in probably ten years.

I would without a doubt try to carve Hellboy's head.

Kipp

I'll probably give it a go eventually but it is very low on the wishlist. Marvel all around needs to step up their collection releases.

How about a ComicGAF Secret Santa, we'll be a month early to set that up!

I've been very satisfied with the Marvel OHCs though. They're priced very reasonably (usually the same price as buying the TPBs) and they may not be Dark Horse-tier quality, but they're still pretty nice.

Also, I'm so down for a ComicGAF Secret Santa.
Edit: Fauxtrot, we're totally long lost brothers... Almost the exact same reply. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom