• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nudull

Banned
Spider-Gwen not making it to the top 3 is a travesty. I'm disappointed, ComicsGAF.

Anyway, Gotham Academy! NuBatgirl! TMNT/Ghostbusters! Edward Scissorhands! Thor! Sabrina! Even a double dose of Kamala Khan :D

This month is going to be great!

I'm surprised I haven't heard much hype/talk about Fade Out #2 coming out today,,,
I am really looking forward to seeing where its going,, plus that type of book is definitely one of my favorite styles/setting/story.
"Golden-Age Hollywood noir"

Messi

I voted

1. Edge of Spider-Verse #2 (5pts)
2. Batgirl Future's End #1 (3pts)
3. Saga #23 (2pts)

Spider-Gwen shouldn't have missed out.

Bucky Barnes and Guardians 3000 both look great, shame that I'll have to wait until the trades come out.

I take it that Abe Sapien's solo series is good? I just found out about it yesterday.

tim1138

That's been confirmed,

I'm torn favourite part wise between Shazam's 'I WANNA FIGHT GRODD' rant and Captain Cold planning to rob Lex Luthor.

Anytime Johns writes the Rogues is good, and I really like his Shazam a lot. I liked the Diana scene because it wasn't a side of her we've really seen in JL yet, it's always nice to see her compassion and love for humanity.

As for your comment on the art, don't expect any earth shattering changes, Jason Fabok is basically David Finch Jr.

Zombine

Banned
Freeza changed his name?

tumblr_m5hr1nCRPN1qlpp33.gif

Spider-Gwen not making it to the top 3 is a travesty. I'm disappointed, ComicsGAF.

Anyway, Gotham Academy! NuBatgirl! TMNT/Ghostbusters! Edward Scissorhands! Thor! Sabrina! Even a double dose of Kamala Khan :D

This month is going to be great!

Gotham Academy is great! I'm looking forward to hearing more impressions.

Some how I didn't realize Earth 2 World's End was starting this month. So many weeklies. I just hope it moves at a better pace than Future's End does. I have a feeling future's end will read fine and be paced fine in trade format, but getting 4 - 6 pages of story per thread each week has it feeling like it's crawling.

Messi

You're all #1 in my heart. :)

Except you, Messi. You know what you did.

I'm the Kobe Bryant of comicsGAF. You don't have to like me but you will respect me.

though it would be really nice if you liked me[/spoilez]

Some how I didn't realize Earth 2 World's End was starting this month. So many weeklies. I just hope it moves at a better pace than Future's End does. I have a feeling future's end will read fine and be paced fine in trade format, but getting 4 - 6 pages of story per thread each week has it feeling like it's crawling.

I dropped Future's End for this reason. Batman: Eternal has maintained a much better pace as a weekly series for comparison, but I'm trade waiting both. World's End ties into Future's End right? Future's End deals with
the aftermath?

Nudull

Banned
I dropped Future's End for this reason. Batman: Eternal has maintained a much better pace as a weekly series for comparison, but I'm trade waiting both.

Trade waiting a weekly series must be a nightmare. I can't imagine how behind I'd be compared to people who buy floppies.

I dropped Future's End for this reason. Batman: Eternal has maintained a much better pace as a weekly series for comparison, but I'm trade waiting both. World's End ties into Future's End right? Future's End deals with
the aftermath?

Batman Eternal has done a much much better job of it. I think it's because each team working on it seems to get a full issue themselves. Instead of 4 - pages per issue. I hope World's End handles things like Batman Eternal.

It's a possible tie in. I think World's End is supposed to be about the war everyone talks about in Future's End, though the Future's End outcome, and events that follow it, are just 1 of the possibilities.

Zombine

Banned
I'm the Kobe Bryant of comicsGAF. You don't have to like me but you will respect me.

though it would be really nice if you liked me[/spoilez]
I guess that makes me D Rose. I'm over paid, I underdeliver, and ultimately let down the team. I should be put down but nobody has the heart to do it.

Just got my Absolute Batman and Robin in the post. squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Would you recommend Absolute Batman and Robin to someone who loves the current on-going by Peter Tomasi? I already own the deluxe oversized hardcovers, but this question concerns my partner and his interests.

Batman Eternal has done a much much better job of it. I think it's because each team working on it seems to get a full issue themselves. Instead of 4 - pages per issue. I hope World's End handles things like Batman Eternal.

It's a possible tie in. I think World's End is supposed to be about the war everyone talks about in Future's End, though the Future's End outcome, and events that follow it, are just 1 of the possibilities.

Future's End is five years later in terms of the current New 52 timeline, right? I read the first few issues of Future's End, but I don't remember exactly and haven't kept up with the event. I'm curious as to where World's End goes and what state it leaves Earth 2 in. As you said, Future's End is just one possibility.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Would you recommend Absolute Batman and Robin to someone who loves the current on-going by Peter Tomasi? I already own the deluxe oversized hardcovers, but this question concerns my partner and his interests.

That's a tricky question tbh. Probably not since it's the middle volume of Morrison's larger run, so without Batman and Son -> RIP for context a reader might be a little lost, especially the last arc with Doctor Hurt, that'll come out of nowhere without knowing about RIP. The other stories are pretty self contained little three-parters though, so it is digestible. Very different tonally from Tomasi.

Future's End is five years later in terms of the current New 52 timeline, right? I read the first few issues of Future's End, but I don't remember exactly and haven't kept up with the event. I'm curious as to where World's End goes and what state it leaves Earth 2 in. As you said, Future's End is just one possibility.

That is correct, it represents one possible future 5 years from now in the current timeline.

That's a tricky question tbh. Probably not since it's the middle volume of Morrison's larger run, so without Batman and Son -> RIP for context a reader might be a little lost, especially the last arc with Doctor Hurt, that'll come out of nowhere without knowing about RIP. The other stories are pretty self contained little three-parters though, so it is digestible. Very different tonally from Tomasi.

Thanks, I thought as much. He's probably not ready for many of the weirder concepts and ideas Morrison explores in his texts either. Just nice having a second opinion. I might introduce him to the Black Glove first.

DeathyBoy

Banned

From my understanding...

Future's End is set five years later AND is about stopping an event thirty years later from happening. Only Batboy screws up gettting to the present and is stranded five years later after the event that ravages the world thirty years later has already started.

This is, of course, ignoring that in two Future's End books LSOH members are hanging around suggesting the world gets unfucked at some point and Batboy coming back is kinda pointless.

I think Worlds End is a prequel to the events that Future's End mentions happened between the present day and five years later. Like the early days of the E2-Apokalips war. My guess is Batboy winds up in the present day after FE ends and that future is completely eradicated.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
That is correct, it represents one possible future 5 years from now in the current timeline.

I'd say it's an impossible future now they've spent all this time there. No way are the books going to match up to this in 5 years time. Nor should they. I sincerely hope the Earth 2 war goes down differently from how it's been shown in Future's End, a weekly series to see something that we already know about seems a bit of a waste.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thanks, I thought as much. He's probably not ready for many of the weirder concepts and ideas Morrison explores in his texts either. Just nice having a second opinion. I might introduce him to the Black Glove first.

Yeah, I'd definitely say that. IMO the Moz run starts off fairly innocuously and easy to get. It's not until the end of B&R (and the Return of Bruce Wayne) that it goes into full gear and asks a bit more of the reader.

tim1138

That new edition that combines Bats & Son and Black Glove would be a great introduction to Morrison Batman. Obviously it's the beginning of his run, but it's also very new reader friendly.

-edit-
Yeah what Jedeye said.

From my understanding...

Future's End is set five years later AND is about stopping an event thirty years later from happening. Only Batboy screws up gettting to the present and is stranded five years later after the event that ravages the world thirty years later has already started.

This is, of course, ignoring that in two Future's End books LSOH members are hanging around suggesting the world gets unfucked at some point and Batboy coming back is kinda pointless.

I think Worlds End is a prequel to the events that Future's End mentions happened between the present day and five years later. Like the early days of the E2-Apokalips war. My guess is Batboy winds up in the present day after FE ends and that future is completely eradicated.

I truly hope Batboy IS left stranded in the present day. I know he technically is part of the mainstream DCU now, as of Future's End, but I want to see him interact with the present day heroes and villains, not those five years from now. I'd feel cheated if he disappeared following the end of the event and was not seen again. There needs to be some real consequences/lasting changes as a result of Future's End on the present day DCU, to make it worthwhile. I'd be happy if one such consequence/change was Batboy's transition to the present. I guess though, there might be some overlap between Batboy and Batwing making either obsolete.

I'd say it's an impossible future now they've spent all this time there. No way are the books going to match up to this in 5 years time. Nor should they. I sincerely hope the Earth 2 war goes down differently from how it's been shown in Future's End, a weekly series to see something that we already know about seems a bit of a waste.

You're just getting into semantics now. I see Future's End as a long What if/Elseworlds style story line. It's a possible future that could happen, but obviously isn't going to. It's them getting to toy with their own characters. I don't think any one assumed this is where the characters actually would be 5 years from now.

Yeah, I'd definitely say that. IMO the Moz run starts off fairly innocuously and easy to get. It's not until the end of B&R (and the Return of Bruce Wayne) that it goes into full gear and asks a bit more of the reader.

That new edition that combines Bats & Son and Black Glove would be a great introduction to Morrison Batman. Obviously it's the beginning of his run, but it's also very new reader friendly.

-edit-
Yeah what Jedeye said.

I'll loan him my copy tomorrow and hopefully encourage him to continue with Morrison's run. He's not big on comics, but DC's New 52 was a great start for him. He's been reading Batman and Robin and Green Lantern Corps. He's also taken an interest in Atomic Robo and Tom Taylor's 'The Deep'. I'm hoping to use those as platform for more reading.

According to Bleeding Cool, Batman is gonna be $5 for the End Game arc.

That's dissapointing. I'm still getting it though. So I guess I'm the problem.

I just read Godhead on my phone and I will not be buying any more. It was kinda a mess that could be summarized in a few sentences.

Nudull

Banned
Been going through several event comics that I haven't before, particularly on the DC side. Should I read Infinite Crisis first or Final Crisis?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
According to Bleeding Cool, Batman is gonna be $5 for the End Game arc.

Haha. Please somebody get Snyder an editor. Then again, I'll take all the Capullo art I can get, so I'm not even mad.

That's dissapointing. I'm still getting it though. So I guess I'm the problem.

I just read Godhead on my phone and I will not be buying any more. It was kinda a mess that could be summarized in a few sentences.

That's disappointing. Can you elaborate? I haven't read the issue yet but I had high hopes, I thought the ideas behind the event were interesting and took GL in a new direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom