• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Messi

Ya'll know that Hickman has another new book next month? Its called Frontier and its a double sized first issue. 56 Pages, 4.99.

“TRANQUILITY”
Double-sized first issue!

The planets have aligned, and the prodigal son has returned! For the first time in eight years, JONATHAN HICKMAN (EAST OF WEST, BLACK MONDAY MURDERS, Secret Wars, Avengers) is both writing and drawing a new comic series: FRONTIER.

It’s like Star Trek, but super depressing.
Seriously. Not a joke. The final frontier...is a total bummer.

Each issue contains galaxy-expanding bonus content like star maps, breakdowns of alien races, interstellar factions, and detailed spaceship schematics. FRONTIER is a brand new science fiction story about utopia lost, and how we might just gain it back.

What's his art like?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
[

what is turtle universe about?

Turtle universe is is now the official second/companion book to the main series. No more spinoffs/mini series. Turtles will now be told in 2 two books. Turtles universe is 5 dollars and 40 pgs. each month.

And a title that was already way to convoluted gets even more convoluted. It's a shame IDW can't leave well enough alone.

TheFlow

Banned
And a title that was already way to convoluted gets even more convoluted. It's a shame IDW can't leave well enough alone.

lol literally the opposite. they made it easier to follow, and understand all the mini stuff was rough on a new reading order is hellboy tier of rough.

basically everything is streamlined into two books. it is like Batman and all star batman.

TMNT- this is the main book where all the main stuff go down
TMNT-Pretty much find out what the side characters are doing when the main stuff is going down.

I personally like it this way. this new TMNT run has created a lot of new characters that are awesome.

Boogiepop

[

what is turtle universe about?

Turtle universe is is now the official second/companion book to the main series. No more spinoffs/mini series. Turtles will now be told in 2 two books. Turtles universe is 5 dollars and 40 pgs. each month.

I've actually only been trade-waiting so I didn't know of this, neat! Also, is that title/format (IE "X Universe" about the spinoff characters) established from something older that I just don't know? Because that's literally exactly what Archie Sonic has had for a while in the form of Sonic Universe (I'd say "ha, they're knocking off the Sonic comics, wut?" but then I know that at that point they'd both be based on something I didn't know about for sure, to strike down my hubris).
---------------------
Also, any chance Prowler is any good? I'd be down for it in theory since I'm already invested enough in the Clone Conspiracy stuff, but I don't want to be picking up something bad for that purpose.

Messi

James Harden has 12 pts and 9 assists in the first quarter vs the lakers looooool.

James+Harden+Creepy.gif

oh man. Thor:God of Thunder is one of my favorite marvel runs. so damn good. Aaron has carefully planned all these books for a while now.

I can sorta tell, even though I'm only 3 issues in on the God of Thunder run. I'm already caught up on the Mighty Thor on-going, so it's also interesting to see some of the stuff introduced here that I've already seen later (Halls of All-Knowing for example).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Speaking of Bendis, how was Iron Doom then?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Does hurting me bring you joy Freeza? Does it sustain you? Sick bastard :/

Comic Carol is a lost cause, but there will be a smorgasbord of crow dishes served when the movie drops. Many of you will partake in the feast.

Comic Carol is a lost cause, but there will be a smorgasbord of crow dishes served when the movie drops. Many of you will partake in the feast.

I cannot imagine myself still MCU/DCEU stuff in 2018 or whatever. I'll just watch Spider-Man 2 like five times a year instead and get a better experience.

Except Logan, that looks good.

I cannot imagine myself still MCU/DCEU stuff in 2018 or whatever. I'll just watch Spider-Man 2 like five times a year instead and get a better experience.

definitely. hopefully it makes do on the trailer's promise of a superhero neo-western. i would be pissed if that's a misleading trailer.

how was the Wonder Woman 75th anniversary comic? anybody here pick it up?

Ahhh, blinded by that Spider-Man 2 nostalgia. It got a lot of folks. Decent movie, vastly surpassed in the genre the past few years.

I do hope Logan is great.

Dr. Strange 12-13 is a vastly improved book after losing much of its steam during the last, overlong arc. Strange has one of the most underappreciated rogues galleries in Marveldom, so it's nice to see Aaron dig into the classics. And Dr. Strange the Underdog is just a really fucking fun and exciting character to read.

Y: The Last Man #1: Loved the contrast of women in authority/powerful roles throughout the issue, and the backmatter where The Unmanned World synopsis discusses the percentages of how many men were lost in powerful positions by the "gendercide": CEOs, religious leaders, political groups, etc. Really nice touch...

Great first issue! (And don't worry, no way am I doing write-ups for every issue.)

I always loved that! I think I read it out to my partner every time I reread the book as if it's a new fascinating thing each time, she just rolls her eyes now. I still think it's a really neat thing.

I was thinking after every edition, so five more... that doesn't seem too excessive.

As my our ancient comics creed: "Nothing is excessive. Everything is permitted".

What's his art like?

It's quite different. His actual art is really good, but what made his old stuff stand out is his background is graphic design. ~All those weird charts, tables, page breaks etc. you see in his other books, that's all him ,so it becomes this striking flowing thing with all the different storytelling method, and he kind of keeps the actual drawing quite impressionist to delegate the storytelling between hte different methods. It's ahrd for me to describe lol, you should go back and have a browse of TNN or Pax Romana to get a feel. They had quite a lot of prose sections of just pure text too. It's been so long though, it'll be interesting to see how he goes about this book.

I'm thinking of pages like this as being pretty representative:

Here's a link to another page, this one from TNN, that's a bit more normal layout: Click

And a cool little thing Warren Ellis wrote about him ages ago, discussing his art style/story telling methods: Click

Death of X #2
I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I actually kind of liked this issue, but that doesn't mean much since the first issue wasn't so good. The art's still not great, but I'm used to it. The big things that bothered me in this issue are:
Medusa stating that the Terrigen bore no ill effect to mutants. Clearly she forgot about the death warrant her family had on Quicksilver for a month, when he also gev Terrigen to other mutants. Many of whom suffered extremely ill effects. Such as Unus the Untouchable, whose restored powers killed him by preventin him from getting oxygen. Or Callisto, whose powers put her into a coma due to her massive sensory overload. There's more, but you get the point. And that's just pure Terrigen, not even counting all the atmospheric effects that have mixed in with the cloud now.

I also have a little bit of an issue with how extreme Scott is with spreading information about the cloud. While I don't disagree with him making that info public, it's basically a PR stunt to put the X-Men in a good light. "The Inhumans won't save you. The X-Men will." (Or something to that effect) It's insanely aggressive PR, and I don't really agree with it. It's too much too fast. Scott has to know that these riots will only make things worse. He's not an idiot, and neither is Emma, who's basically his top advisor. I can only imagine that him intentionally spreading panic like that is to create an opening to strike at the Inhumans. It's the only reason I can see for going to such an extreme.

A better issue than the last, but not by much. It's definitely keeping my interest. Also what the fuck is a Daisuke?

Ya'll know that Hickman has another new book next month? Its called Frontier and its a double sized first issue. 56 Pages, 4.99.

What's his art like?

That sounds kind of terrible, tbh. "Star Trek that makes you feel bad about stuff" isn't really a pitch that makes me eager to pull out my wallet.

I rate this claim UNLIKELY.

Civil War II

Hey, an issue I wasn't annoyed the entire time reading. It's looking up!

Spider-Woman 12

Glad this is back to being the book I love. It was a bit of a throw-away issue, but it was good to be a buffer from the last couple issues of bullshit.

Read through Joe Golem vol. 1 this morning. I REALLY enjoyed it. As the book kicks off there's quite a lot going on. A flashback to a fateful stormy night in 1955 where a bolt of lightning opens a door to the past in the strangest of ways. Present day for the series 1965, children are being abducted and drowned by a shadowy figure called the rat catcher for reasons unknown. Strange visions of 15th century Crotia where monks are besieged by witches and one man turns to the dark arcana for salvation. All this on the backdrop of this: 40 years ago, a disaster shook New York City and dropped lower Manhattan 30 feet underwater. Now coined "the drowning city", supernatural threats have emerged from the depths, and it's up to Joe Golem, private eye, to help those in need.

There's a lot going on in the first few pages of this book, but it settles down into a flow soon enough, and the book ends up being a really great romp, full of atmosphere, interesting characters and legitimately good twists and turns. I honestly found the story a resounding success on all fronts. The nice surprise is the lead character himself; the book has all the trappings and visuals of a noir, but actually the lead character couldn't really be further than your average hard boiled detective. Joe is a simple man, trying to do right by others and find his place in the world. He wears his heart on his sleeve and it's easy to find yourself rooting for him before long. The touchstone I'll use for fans of Mig's other works is actually Roger, the homunculus from early volumes of HB ,and the BPRD afterwards. Without any spoilers, I found myself considering Joe a few times in the context of Roger and his journey, and both the similarities and contrasts Mignola & Golden have chosen with this character and this story. The result is fresh though, and while there are similarities to Mignola's other character, Joe is definitely his own man, something he impresses several times through the volume. Also worth noting is this volume definitely lays down the foundations for further stories down the line. There's more than one mystery introduced that goes unresolved, but the stories are still very much satisfying in their own right. Mignola & Golden really have this stuff down to a science now after years of experience.

I should write a little about the art too. Patric Reynolds is awesome in this. His characters look great, the action scenes are awesome but but I'd say biggest strength is in making the drowning city feel like a real place, with lots of detail, especially reflecting how people have adapted to living in such a place without the script ever having do any heavy handed exposition for such things. It's hard not to look at the world and conjure up this dirty grimy twisted version of Venice in your mind.

Anyway overall, I'd give the book full marks and a big thumbs up. It has the same strength as Baltimore too: If you find yourself interested by Mignola's stuff but don't want to go in on HB, BPRD and the expense of collecting all that stuff for now, this is a really great alternative. Hopefully it's not too long a wait before we get more.

-----

And off-topic, just got Skyrim Special Edition in the mail. Sweeet.

Top Bottom