• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coming to Console: Baldur’s Gate, Baldur’s Gate ll, Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights

SKYBOUND GAMES ANNOUNCES NEW PUBLISHING DEAL WITH BEAMDOG TO BRING BELOVED PC ROLEPLAYING GAMES TO CONSOLE FOR THE FIRST TIME

Baldur’s Gate, Baldur’s Gate ll, Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights All Coming to Console in 2019

February 7, 2019 (Los Angeles, CA) – Skybound Games and Beamdog today announced a publishing partnership that will bring classic roleplaying videogames Baldur’s Gate, Baldur’s Gate ll, Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights to console platforms in 2019.

Beamdog is known for bringing enhanced versions of Dungeons & Dragons videogames to fans both new and old on the PC platform, including the critically acclaimed Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights and Planescape: Torment. Six of Beamdog’s fan-favorite games will be released on console platforms for the first time ever via Skybound all as Enhanced Editions sold at retail stores and online (www.Skybound.com). These upcoming releases will allow RPG fans the opportunity to experience epic Dungeons & Dragons adventures in a whole new way.

A selection of Beamdog’s games will be on display in the Skybound Games booth at PAX East in Boston from March 28th to March 31st, all coinciding with the first anniversary of Skybound Games as the video game publishing arm of Skybound Entertainment.

“These games are iconic, including Baldur’s Gate, which has really set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons computer roleplaying games,” said Skybound Games CEO Ian Howe. “We’re excited to bring Beamdog’s incredible slate to new platforms for both the dedicated fan and those who will soon discover these adventures for the first time. As longtime fans of Baldur’s Gate and Dungeons & Dragons it’s fantastic to partner with Beamdog as the newest member of the Skybound family.”

“We are ecstatic to partner with Skybound Games to bring these great classics to new platforms,” said Trent Oster, Beamdog CEO. “Skybound’s accomplishments are amazing and they have a demonstrated love and respect for creators. We’re thrilled to find ourselves working with such a talented group.”

More details about what fans can expect with these upcoming console releases, including specific platforms and box contents, will be unveiled in the coming months. Fans interested in these details should follow Skybound Games on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

source

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Wat.

This is a megaton. I'll buy... pretty much all of them, as long as they come out physical. I still have my old PC collection:

918V9LpkQXL._AC_SX215_.jpg

I'm down for the whole Baldur's Gate series and Icewind Dale. I hope they bring ID2. 90% certain I'll get Planescape: Torment even though I've played that game to death.

Skip on Neverwinter unless they bring over Mask of the Betrayer, too.

EDIT: the press release clarifies that Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition is what they're porting over, so this will include all of the additional content. This still doesn't include Mask of the Betrayer (NWN2) so my previous opinionated statement still stands.

Last edited:

GenericUser

Godsent! My mouse arm is fucked and I cannot play this game without pain on PC. Thanks god, I so much want this on console. Been wishing for it since basically forever.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Having never played any of these (to my great shame, I promise I'll get it done soon), would you expect them to handle well on a console? Seems to me there's a good reason they were never brought to consoles before and that's using a pad to control a D&D game. Could be wrong. I was planning on playing BG1 sometime soon so might wait and see if there's a Switch version, and if it plays well.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Any chance "consoles" includes Switch?
These exist, so I don't see why not:
61K-cQDhxDL._AC_SX215_.jpg
8112dBEHHqL._AC_SX215_.jpg
718BERH1NYL._AC_SX215_.jpg

I think Divinity Original Sin is also getting a Switch port.

Was this already mentioned:

The collection is being released in Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PS4. Everyone should be happy!

Andyliini gotcha covered, Vawn Vawn

Having never played any of these (to my great shame, I promise I'll get it done soon), would you expect them to handle well on a console? Seems to me there's a good reason they were never brought to consoles before and that's using a pad to control a D&D game. Could be wrong. I was planning on playing BG1 sometime soon so might wait and see if there's a Switch version, and if it plays well.
The micromanagement within menus will probably be tiresome, but since the game can be paused at any moment, there's no disadvantage to using a "slower" or "less accurate" control method.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Down for them all but Neverwinter Nights. Always found that more for people who wanted the tool set/multiplayer more than a spiritual sequel to Baldurs Gate.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I can't imagine myself being too excited about having these on Xbox / PS4 - since I've had them on PC (and their various remasters) for a long time and it's pretty easy to stream them to my TV already.

But put these on the Switch, where I can play them on my work breaks and such, and I'm excited.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I think this is the greatest and biggest news I ve heard for a long time

Baldur’s Gate, Baldur’s Gate ll, Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights

This is some of the most iconic and legendary PC games and now we can have the opportunity to play it

tkscz

Neverwinter Nights on Switch PLEASE!

Didn't Bioware create these games? EA has no stakes in this what-so-ever?

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
And if it don't?

What's up with the constant switch portbeging around here?

What's stopping you from getting it on the other available platform?

I already have them on PC. I would like them on Switch so I can play them on-the-go. It isn't "switch begging", just a statement. Calm down, mate.

tkscz

And if it don't?

Not much of a reason to in my eyes. Why buy it for PS4 or XBO when they sit as stationary as my PC does? In fact, it be better to just buy it enhanced on PC then it would be to get it on the other two consoles, unless you're like GenericUser GenericUser and it's painful to use a mouse. While on the Switch, I can EASILY (before anyone brings up laptops like they can just be wiped out as easily as a handheld console can) bring it with me anywhere and play short burst of these amazing RPGs and then put it away when I'm done. Again, I know there are small laptops, but they tend to cost more and aren't as easy to pull out and put away.

Also, not really port begging when we don't know what consoles they are on yet.

Last edited:

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Although exciting news. My first worry is about how they will translate mouse + KB controls to gamepad? If you control the cursor it might be a bit shit.

They’ve got my money though. Unless the price point is stupid.

Vawn

Banned
And if it don't?

It's not a Switch port begging post when we don't know which consoles it is or isn't coming to yet.

I won't get this because I already have the games on PC (multiple copies in some cases), but I am happy to see them being made available to new audiences. :)

Last edited:

nowhat

I'm so going to get NWN again. I spent countless hours with it back in the day, but I haven't had a gaming PC for years now so I've been unable to replay it. Now, play it again I shall.

anthraticus

Banned
Can't see there being much of market for this all. Anyone interested in these games has or is already playing them on PC and 99% of the console kids could care less about this stuff.

Last edited:

bati

Although exciting news. My first worry is about how they will translate mouse + KB controls to gamepad? If you control the cursor it might be a bit shit.

They’ve got my money though. Unless the price point is stupid.

Yeah, this. In BG and BG2 especially you have to buff up to eleven before tougher fights. I can't imagine playing this with a pad.

Patrick S.

Banned
Wat.

This is a megaton. I'll buy... pretty much all of them, as long as they come out physical. I still have my old PC collection:

918V9LpkQXL._AC_SX215_.jpg

I'm down for the whole Baldur's Gate series and Icewind Dale. I hope they bring ID2. 90% certain I'll get Planescape: Torment even though I've played that game to death.

Skip on Neverwinter unless they bring over Mask of the Betrayer, too.

EDIT: the press release clarifies that Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition is what they're porting over, so this will include all of the additional content. This still doesn't include Mask of the Betrayer (NWN2) so my previous opinionated statement still stands.

That collection is quite steep on ebay, at least it used to be back when those games where not digitally available. Like €60 steep on German ebay :O

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That collection is quite steep on ebay, at least it used to be back when those games where not digitally available. Like €60 steep on German ebay :O
Wow, I had no idea. It does appear to still be in the $50-70 range even for a used copy. Well, it'll sit safely in my basement, unused. There's no way I'm parting with that collection unless/until I can buy then physical on console.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Looking at the excitement in this thread...I'm ashamed to say. I've never played a Baldur's Gate before. Somebody explain the hype please?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Looking at the excitement in this thread...I'm ashamed to say. I've never played a Baldur's Gate before. Somebody explain the hype please?
Fairly detailed games with a lot of variety of builds and enemy types. You can approach the combat a lot of different ways. The story is really good, too, and I like the NPCs.

nowhat

There used to be a time when BioWare churned out consistently terrific CRPGs. These games are from that era.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Fairly detailed games with a lot of variety of builds and enemy types. You can approach the combat a lot of different ways. The story is really good, too, and I like the NPCs.

As of right now, these are available only on PC? But coming to console?

There used to be a time when BioWare churned out consistently terrific CRPGs. These games are from that era.

CRPG? I'm not familiar with the acronym. I am a huge fan of Bioware's Mass Effect though. Would you say these are of even better quality?

Edit: This may be blasphemy, but I think I would wait for controller support on console. I tried Path of Exile on PC after I played it on Xbox. Controller is vastly superior in my opinion.

Last edited:

nowhat

CRPG? I'm not familiar with the acronym. I am a huge fan of Bioware's Mass Effect though. Would you say these are of even better quality?
Computer role-playing game, or "classic" role-playing game, depends on who you ask - at any rate, the description fits.

These games are obviously not as flashy as Mass Effect when it comes to presentation - they are much older, after all. But as far as role-playing goes, they're arguably much deeper.

Hudo

Interesting. Not a fan of Baldur's Gate et al. because I think that real-time with pause combat is the worst of both worlds. However, Planescape Torment is a real gem of a game. So it is worth it for Planescape Torment alone!

Andyliini

Was this already mentioned:

The collection is being released in Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PS4. Everyone should be happy!

I was a young ass dumb as hell kid when I tried playing Baldur's Gate for the first time. I had no idea what I was doing. Had a better time later with Icewind Dale.

These games are great. Can't wait to play them again.

Planescape: Torment is a fucking legend.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Useless trivia, but Neverwinter Nights is also on Android in their Enhanced Edition:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
If these are quick and dirty ports for a cash grab, I’ll pass, but if they are built with thought and they somehow solve the control issues and scaling problems, I’d definitely love to have them on Switch for on the go gaming. Wait and see.

Top Bottom