• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coming to Console: Baldur’s Gate, Baldur’s Gate ll, Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights

Got to say, I never expected my PS4 to be my personal CRPG machine lol but as someone that doesn't game on the PC, this makes me so unbelievably happy. Just great news and very unexpected which makes it even more awesome.

V4skunk

Banned
Baldurs Gate 2 and Planescape Torment are among the greatest rpg's of all time.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’m over 50 hours in with Baldur’s Gate on Nintendo Switch and I’ve started to get a bug during saving.

It’s happened twice now. As I go to save, the game crashes back to the console frontend and when I boot the game back up, my save file has deleted itself. Luckily I keep multiple save files, so I’ve only lost 30-60 minutes of gameplay at a time.

A quick Google shows me at least one other person has had the same issue.

If you play this game, make sure to keep multiple save files.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I’m over 50 hours in with Baldur’s Gate on Nintendo Switch and I’ve started to get a bug during saving.

It’s happened twice now. As I go to save, the game crashes back to the console frontend and when I boot the game back up, my save file has deleted itself. Luckily I keep multiple save files, so I’ve only lost 30-60 minutes of gameplay at a time.

Thanks for the PSA, Scopa.

Im digging through Planscape Torment on the Switch. Got to Revels Maze. I tried long ago twice to get into the game, just couldn't. Now it clicked even tho its so old. I play it in handheld mode so sometimes it gets tireing reading all that text but the story is so good.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

Omg...it happened to me again when I was a good hour into Durlag’s Tower...fuck me.

I can’t even submit a bug report to Beamdog unless I create an account for some thing I don’t need and even then, the report page is for the PC version. There appears to be no way of submitting a bug report for the Switch version.

This is seriously hampering my enjoyment of this game.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Those are some really classic choices there for the consoles. I'm glad they are putting them out. I enjoyed most of them immensely!

Damn dude...honestly, if this trend continues, the need for a pc shrinks. Not even close to completely but I'd be lying if I said the need for a pc to play my old favorites hasn't lessened a little at this news. I hope this trend continues with other classics.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Just a quick heads up for those interested. I posted this about the Baldur’s Gate 1 Switch port:

As I’ve mentioned previous, the game has a serious bug which has not been patched out as of today. Sometimes the game crashes with an error msg. It happened about 10 times during my playthrough. It mainly seems to happen when you are saving, but it did occur a couple of times during general gameplay. When it happens during a save, your save file gets deleted, so KEEP MULTIPLE SAVE FILES so you don’t lose too much time investment.

I think I narrowed down the bug to this scenario (for anyone interested): If you are transferring many items from player inventories to a chest for storage back and forth and very fast and you exit out of the inventory screen too quickly, the crash has a high chance of occuring. If you save immediately, you are screwed. I assume that the game is still populating the inventory lists in the background and hasn’t completed the task yet, so by doing it quickly and exiting, the game freaks out and errors. There is no info on this on the net that I can find and no way to report it (for Switch) to Beamdog. So, I’ll just post it here in hope it will help someone. DO LARGE INVENTORY JUGGLING BETWEEN PLAYER AND CHEST SLOWLY.

I can now confirm that the Baldur’s Gate 2 Switch port has the same bug. It makes sense because they both use the same game engine.

The bug is definitely related to inventory management, so to reiterate: Do your large inventory swapping between party members and storage containers at a reasonably slow pace and not fast and when you exit the inventory screen, wait a few seconds for the inventory lists to populate in the background before you save your game or make any complicated actions.

It is a serious and annoying bug that really needs to be fixed by the developers.

I’d hate it to put off people from playing these wonderful games. If you do play them, save often, keep multiple save files, follow my advice above and you won’t be too affected.

I still loved my playthrough.

Top Bottom