• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Company of Heroes 2 |OT| The Motherland is Calling - [Western Front Armies out now]

Finalow

well I'm playing vs people at level 40-80 and I'm 8. not sure how it might be balanced.
I'm not bad, I mean I won some games winning that "1v1" you get even in 3v3/4v4 games but those were also the first 5 games on this, trying the russian for the first time in the last game.

anyway about the russians, you can have a fast tank a lot earlier than the germans and you can easily dominate with that early-mid game. not sure what's the answer to that, but again I'm pretty new to these tanks/skills as I only played a lot of the first CoH.

Sethos

Banned
yeah, like burning and shooting own people etc. this is SO historically accurate, that my great-grandfather turning in his grave. damn, i hate russian government, and does not disagree with the fact that soviet regime did bad things. but, GOD, this game showing some crazy offensive lies, that are very easy to check by the way. Every family here in post-USSR countries has a story about this awful war, and things like this are very painful to see.

but fuck me, right? i'm just another "pro-Russian nationalist"...

The propaganda machine wheels are still turning.

Everything is in the history books.

In CoH I used to be able to play online 1Pv1P matches on a 6/8 player map (and is there no lobby where you can see games with the best ping etc?). Am I being dull and missed this option somewhere, or have they removed the ability to do this? Also, where are all the online players at, there only ever seem to be 10 people online when i've tried searching for (1v1) games.

Finalow

In CoH I used to be able to play online 1Pv1P matches on a 6/8 player map (and is there no lobby where you can see games with the best ping etc?). Am I being dull and missed this option somewhere, or have they removed the ability to do this? Also, where are all the online players at, there only ever seem to be 10 people online when i've tried searching for (1v1) games.
there isn't a lobby system, I miss that too.

antitrop

I'm still getting regular emails urging me to join the Company of Heroes 2 Alpha.

Which is werid, because I already did... Last year.

I'd say that snipers are really useless compared to how good they were in the first CoH.

Snipers can be effective, but seem to need a lot more micro (or spam) to be useful. I did get rolled last night playing a coordinated Russian team (4vs4 match) that swamped my fuel point with 3 sniper teams. I had no armor at that time and they were just chewing through my infantry. Only ran into that one time, but it is a frustrating tactic to deal with. Usually though, snipers are nothing a flame halftrack can't fix.

there isn't a lobby system, I miss that too.
I miss that too, I think they should have matchmaking in addition to a server lobby. Easier to find certain custom matches and would give players more choice in the type of match they want to play.

I'm still getting regular emails urging me to join the Company of Heroes 2 Alpha.

Which is werid, because I already did... Last year.

I still got them too, until I marked them as spam. It's funny as they have a THQ email address, maybe it is the ghost of THQ trying to haunt us....

longdi

Banned
Anyone still playing the game?

find that after all the patches, Coh2 is turning around as pretty competitive like vCoh. Things are looking up and Relic just needs to add more units and options. The commanders still sucks with just the same abilities mixed around...i see no reason why one should pay for their DLC...please drop this bullshit from Coh3.

I think Sega should also consider lowering the price of the full game, its what holding back more players coming on Steam and play.

TaroYamada

Anyone still playing the game?

find that after all the patches, Coh2 is turning around as pretty competitive like vCoh. Things are looking up and Relic just needs to add more units and options. The commanders still sucks with just the same abilities mixed around...i see no reason why one should pay for their DLC...please drop this bullshit from Coh3.

I think Sega should also consider lowering the price of the full game, its what holding back more players coming on Steam and play.

I haven't played in a while, my GTX 460 just cannot run it that well. I intend to upgrade later this year and vowed to re-enter it then. CoH is one of my favorite series so I want to experience this one in (ideally) maxed out fashion.

That said, I'm not surprised at all that the patches are turning things around, I still follow the game and I am 100% confident in Relic's ability to make this game great competitively. I'm mostly disappointed with the DLC and performance, I've always felt the core gameplay was there and very compelling. I'd also like support crews on both sides to shrink, too big right now.

There is a multiplayer "test server" set up for people who are really interested in some of the balance changes / ideas that are being proposed / tested for MP. It's a limited group but I asked and there are some spots available. If you're interested, PM me and I'll see if I can get a key for you. That said, please only request one if you are VERY interested in the multiplayer balance of COH2 :)

It's not very populous, so there's no guarantee of games or anything, either. The balance testers do use it though (Pacific Standard Time work hours).

New patch out today:

Updates – August 20th, 2013

General

Added Map Veto for Automatch – Party hosts can now veto up to 1/3rd of applicable maps before beginning the automatch process. A veto counts as a vote against a map and the automatcher will only select among the maps with the fewest number of votes
Replays now store build version in header to allow filtering out of old replays that will cause a sync error
Changed method of determining local player when loading a saved game
Added ability to change Faceplate and added two new faceplates to select from

Gameplay

Guard Rifle Infantry ‘Button’ Ability will now be disabled if the squad is pinned
Canceling building in progress of the 152mm gun-howitzer will now refund the full cost
Guard Rifle Infantry that drop both their DP-28s can now repurchase the weapon
Mines can now be killed by flamethrowers
Conscripts with the repair ability can now repair abandoned vehicles, matching the behavior of the engineer repair ability
Increasing the pop cap cost of team weapons so re-manned weapons do have a lower pop cap cost

Balance

Vehicles

Focus on improving T34 viability and better balancing RAM for mid-late game. The role of the T34 is that of a flanker meant to exploit enemy weak points with hit and run tactics. RAM has been adjusted to be countered through movement vs. mediums and lower. Against heavier armor, RAM now has a chance to fail based on armor and penetration. This was to account for the fact that heavy vehicles cannot maneuver out of the RAM ability as easily as light and medium vehicles.

T34

Main gun damage from 80 to 120
Main gun penetration from 75 to 80
Cost from 240 MP and 95 FU to 280 MP and 85 FU
T34 Ram

Ram min range from 10 to 17
Ram max range from 30 to 35
Penetration from 1000 to 160
Damage from 100 to 160
Deflection damage added, now does 80 damage on deflect
Deflection now results in a crew shock critical to the receiving vehicle
Ram engine overheat from 4 to 2.5s
If the engine overheats, the T34 will be slowed down eventually canceling the RAM
Ram engine overheat now a timed action, lasts 30s
Added in tooltip for engine overheat critical
Removed exhaust engine damage, adjusted critical changes to compensate for this change and keep things relatively the same
SU-85

Focused Sight now reduces movement speed by 50%
Unit Abilities

AT grenades and Panzerfaust will see reduced effectiveness vs. heavier targets. This change is meant to improve the flow of mid-to-late game tank combat by making aggressive maneuvers less risky. Heavy tanks should be better able to spearhead as a result. Little to no impact vs. medium to light vehicles.

AT Grenade

Damage from 80 to 100
Added deflection damage, now deals 80 damage on deflect
Penetration from 1000 to 100
Oorah!

Cost from 5 to 10 ammunition
Panzerfaust

Damage from 80 to 100
Added deflection damage, now deals 80 damage on deflect
Penetration from 1000 to 140
Rifle-Grenade

Rifle-grenade now cost 25 munitions
Sdfkz 222

The 222 Scout Car now retains its coaxial MG upon upgrading to the 20mm auto cannon
Population Cost System

Focus on better reflecting unit value through upkeep cost. Previously, fielding a heavy vehicle army was more rewarding than fielding a heavy manpower army due to the low population of vehicles. We are now factoring fuel into the evaluation of a vehicles population.

Soviets

M3A1 population from 2 to 4
M5 Half-track population from 3 to 5
Katyusha population from 9 to 10
T70 population from 5 to 6
SU-76 population from 4 to 6
SU-85 population from 8 to 12
T34-76 population from 7 to 10
T34-85 population from 9 to 12
KV-8 population from 9 to 14
IS-2 population from 14 to 24
ISU-152 population from 17 to 25
Germans

222 Scout Car population from 2 to 4
251 Half-track population from 3 to 5
Mortar Half-track population from 5 to 6
Panzerwerfer population from 9 to 10
Stug population from 7 to 10
Ostwind population from 8 to 10
Panzer IV population from 8 to 12
Panzer IV Command Tank population from 9 to 12
Panther population from 11 to 16
Brummbar population from 13 to 16
Tiger population from 13 to 24
Elefant population from 16 to 25
Target Weak Point

Improved the usability of target weak point to correct a number of functionality issues.. Ready aim time represents the time to fire upon activating the ability.

Elefant Target Weak Point

Fire aim time from 2 to 1
Ready aim time from 2 to 2.75
Damage from 120 to 320
Distance scatter max from 5 to 10
Pak 40 Target Weak Point

Ability range from 80 to 60
Weapon range from 80 to 60
Ready aim time from 2 to 1.5
Damage from 80 to 160
Pak 43 Target Weak Point

Ready aim time from 2 to 1
Damage from 80 to 320
Stug Target Weak Point

Ability range from 45 to 50
Ready aim time from 2 to 1.5
Area effect radius from 0.5 to 1.5
Area distance far from 0.25 to 0.75
Area distance near from 0.125 to 0.375
Area suppression far from 0 to 0.1
Area suppression near from 0 to 0.2
Damage from 80 to 160
Weapon range from 60 to 50
Distance scatter max from 5 to 6.5
Brummbar Target Weak Point

Post firing aim time from 4 to 0
Ready aim time from 2 to 2.625
Area radius from 0.5 to 5
Area distance far from 0.25 to 2.5
Area distance near from 0.125 to 1.25
Area suppression fear from 0 to 0.1
Area suppression near from 0 to 0.2
Damage from 80 to 160

Bug Fixes

Various campaign issues addressed
Fixed idling animation for wrecked Panzer IV
Fixed tracer issue with Elefant hull gun
Addressed various audio issues
Victory target can no longer be cast at no cost
Rifle-grenade will now refund when cancelled
Fixed refund not working for the German rifle grenade
Artillery Officer Barrage now properly triggers cool down on cancelation
Removing the single player ptrs teardown time – the time was causing the grenade ability to fail
Fixed Grenadier Damage Intel Bulletin so it applies to the correct squad
Fixed satchel charge refund issue when the ability is cancelled while throwing
Fixed stacking armour modifiers for the Tank Training Intel Bulletins
Fix for scatter weapons targeting the team-weapon. Other weapons respect target priorities, so the rest of the spec rules are implicitly followed
Fix for holding 2 weapons after using a substitute weapon with a non-substitutable source
Fix for getting stuck shooting at an empty building
Fix for point blank range not counting bonus accuracy
Fixed issues with Theater of War
Various text changes
Fixed Twitch crash on receiving chat
Removed Rangers reference from Shock Troops in Post Game Stats
Fixed some issues on Langreskaya

https://help.sega.com/entries/21924195-Company-of-Heroes-2-Patch-Notes-Updated-Regularly-

Map veto, pop increase for many units, buffed t34, buffed german scout car. Some interesting changes.

TychoCelchuuu

Neo Member
They're bringing back Semois! It's called Semosky and now all the buildings are one story tall basically. 10 minutes until the stream starts up.

longdi

Banned
played semoisky and i think it just aint as good as semois. this mainly due to the new systems where by cover/building goes down much easily. you now have mortars, arty at-gun and flamers, so most of the cover in semois are gone a third of the game. it becomes a very open map.

relic needs to reduce the range of mortar for a start.

IpKaiFung

A new update from the producer:

Greg Wilson said:
Just a quick update to let everyone know what the team is working on!

Since our launch, we’ve patched the game several times - tuning game balance, fixing bugs, adding new features and of course, more maps! The new maps (Langreska and Semoskiy) both have summer and winter variants and were inspired by 2 of COH1’s original fan favorites. The team has more classic remakes underway in addition to some brand new maps that are scheduled to be released over the coming months.

We’ve also been prepping for the v1.0 release of our map editing tool, AKA World Builder, which will be free and enable our very talented modding community to start showing off their skills!

Later this month, we will be unveiling the first update to Theater of War mode, adding a new mini-pack set in 1942, that shows part of the war from a German perspective. This mini-pack will be free of charge for all Collector’s Edition, Digital Collector’s Edition and eligible pre-order customers. It will also be available to purchase on Steam for anyone who didn’t pre-order or buy a CE. Players can also opt to upgrade to the Digital Collector’s Edition and this mini-pack will be included for free.

Last but not least I’m pleased to announce we are working on an update patch for COH1 on Steam that we hope will address many issues that arose from the original port. The foundational server work being done on COH1 will also be used for future COH2 enhancements – more info to come on that in the near future!

On behalf of the team, I’d like to thank the community for their support over the recent months. We’re still in the infancy of COH2’s life cycle are committed to working with our amazing fan-base to help make COH2 the best it can be!

See you online!

Greg Wilson

http://companyofheroes.com/news/coh-2-producer-letter-september-2013

Some new 4v4 maps would be nice. The 3 right now are getting stale and as much as I love COH gameplay, I need some new maps to keep it fresh. Not a fan of the smaller matches. But I will continue to play and wait patiently, loving COH2 so far. Recently got past rank 60 (only play vs multiplayer) and am finding more challenging matches and loving it. Really like seeing the different tactics and strategies that people employ.

I got the game back when it launched but performance was pretty abysmal and I didn't play it. Have they patched it up to fix the performance? I'd like to try it again but I haven't got it downloaded so I figured I'd ask here first.

After watching all my friends stop playing this because of the horrendous balance, my partner and I finally made the jump to soviets a few weeks back.

My God. Win streaks out the ass.

Maxim spam pinning infantry at max range in less than half a second; a single mortar to help clear buildings without needing conscripts; guard squads right as they would be coming out with T2 to pin and insta kill their 120 munition flame halftrack, 80 munition upgunned scout car, or 50(?) fuel mortar HT; SU-85s which, in combination with a guard squad, hard counter any armor Germans care to field; and 30 munition mines which can insta-kill triple vet infantry squads and damage engine any tank guaranteeing death by SU-85.

It's a damned joke. So much rage in chat from us trolling how skilled we are while our Maxims rotate on a dime to pin every flank with ease, lolol

Sibylus

Banned
So what's the deal with this new Victory at Stalingrad DLC, worthwhile? Been meaning to get back into this (along with a bazillion other games on Steam ;_;).

Decado

Very interesting. Any feedback on the single player game now that patches and tons of DLC has been released? I didn't buy during the Autumn sale, but I'm going to keep an eye out during the winter sale.

A few questions:

- Can you pause and issue orders in single player?
- How is the single player campaign now that patches have been released?
- Technically, how is the game? Have the performance issues been patch?
- What, if any, DLC impacts the single player campaign?

Thanks. BTW, for a relatively new major PC exclusive title, it's OT died pretty quickly...not a good sign.

I played a few matches over the weekend and still love me some coh multi. I wish more people played as Russia though, took my up to 15 minutes in matchmaking to find a 4vs4 match while on the Germany side. Germany Armor also still seems to be what wins the end game.

New update seems pretty large. Going to check the link and see what relic has been up to. Thanks for keeping us posted Ip.

Top Bottom